Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I'm also wondering how holds work with gas, hotels and rental cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Similar, except basically every large podcast network is in on it.

But, big companies that rely heavily on brand awareness (with the exception of Uber) all seem to realize that they don't know what the impact of online advertising is, but are all too scared to be "the one" who stops doing it and gets buried. So, it's become like a weird cost of doing business to just throw away a certain amount of your company's money as an insurance policy.

It's weird that online marketing companies are so good at marketing themselves to major companies, but don't seem to have any success marketing their client's products.

Like credit card rewards programs, a lot of the stuff we enjoy online is basically subsidized by huge amounts of internet ad money. If people finally start pulling back on that, it is going to lead to a bunch of weird situations for content providers that rely on ad-revenue (which is already falling).

Wasn't there an account of eBay dropping all online advertising for several months and showing no differences in sales and traffic?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Tiny Timbs posted:

This was always just wishful thinking mixed with a belief that something that goes up a lot surely must come back down. My former coworkers back in Colorado are still repeating the idiotic line that marijuana legalization is what’s driving housing costs and surely that bubble will burst, when the costs are actually being driven by a pretty large amount of sustainable industrial growth and federal investment.

Wait, they think that CO is the only place that has legal weed? Have they ever heard of the west coast? WA went legal the same year that CO did.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Jaxyon posted:

because with the attempts to change election officials and the current state of democracy in the US, the fall election is hugely important and may end up in a generational fascist takeover

the dems already are facing huge headwaters due to fundamentals like the economy and inflation and small things are likely to be decisive.

You also blamed dems for rising gas prices.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Jaxyon posted:

Where did I do that?

It's right there.

Jaxyon posted:

What an incredible own goal.

Along with gas prices going back up, just amazing.

Why else are you grouping the two issues together with no further clarification?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Nope. He just finished his first term too, so its not like he's been there forever. Plus, he was elected in his early 40's.

And not sure what series of events led to him being approached by the University of Florida.

His next election isn't until 2026 and he was expected to cruise. This kind of came out of nowhere.

I don't recall if he was in the House, but if all he did was serve a full term in the Senate then he's qualified for his full congressional pension.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

selec posted:

It’s perfectly valid to speak like this as an American who owns part of the responsibility of the hegemon we run. Power flows from us, and is wielded against the powerless. Thus we have a moral duty to speak on it,

I'm sorry, you think you're performing a moral good by posting on these forums? Are you loving kidding me?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

selec posted:

Are you claiming you picked Sri Lanka out of a hat? Because otherwise it’s just a rape joke my dude.

Stop accusing people of making rape jokes just because you refuse to back up your points. It's gross as gently caress. I know you gotta stick with your posting buddies and support them but you can do it without making gross personal claims about others.

By the way, do you consider these posts a moral good as well? Do you think you're making the lives of Haitians better by posting like this?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 19, 2022

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Tiny Timbs posted:

The comeback of stack ranking is amazing. It's an epically tried-and-failed approach but it just appeals so well to powerful narcissists that they can't resist.

It's amazing how loving techbros can never, never resist doing the same poo poo that's been proven to fail because they're too good to listen to anyone who isn't just like them.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

They confirmed that the guy who beat Paul Pelosi was looking for Nancy and used a large 2-handed hammer.

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1586024100954537985

I would have thought that the Speaker and her immediate family was under Secret Service protection, is this not actually the case here?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So 50% of the company with a few days notice is a massive violation of the WARN Act, right?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Honestly I'm not even sure he gets back into the race. It's a gently caress ton of work to run for president and he's been back to his life of wealth and leisure for years now. It's going to take a whole lot to really get off the couch, so to speak. Maybe it happens, I think there's a significant chance that he just endlessly teases and decides instead to play kingmaker.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Eric Cantonese posted:

Trump has to run. He's facing potential legal and financial consequences and he probably also has a much better idea of how he can enrich himself in the office and delegate substantive work out now.

The only thing that keeps him from running is dying and the guy seems as healthy as any old and stocky rich man can be.

haveblue posted:

If he (correctly) sees becoming president as another 4-year break from legal consequences, he'll do it

Yeah, this is why I'm hedging, but he's not doing anything towards that end. He's not raising money, he has no infrastructure and so on. He's in clear legal trouble, but he's also a massively lazy gently caress. I can't say which side will win, but I think we should consider that there are multiple possibilities here.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

evilweasel posted:

Trump has been raising money since Election Day 2020. It's been infuriating republicans that he was siphoning money they thought should go to this election.

My mistake.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

It would benefit whoever is most popular with black voters. That isn't always the most conservative.

Also, they are reevaluating the first 5 every cycle. So, if Biden runs for re-election, then the schedule this year doesn't really matter.

The 2024 changes they approved:

- Make 5 early states instead of 4.
- SC goes first
- NH and NV go second on the same day
- Georgia goes 3rd
- Michigan goes 4th.

Iowa is banished because the Republicans are keeping it first.

It would really be nice to see something on the West Coast for once. But no, let keep ignoring those folks and pretending there's no bench of left politicians to pull from there. Only a single state west of the Mississippi river. loving bullshit.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Dick Trauma posted:

I wanted to share this Twitter thread on the voting experience in Georgia. It's not long.

I've been voting by mail for a long time now and it's striking how cumbersome in-person voting can be, whether intentionally or just due to bad systems.

https://twitter.com/ProfessaJay/status/1598827111392968704?s=20&t=Dg3d-T2fUgHlj5ggZmI2gw

What the actual gently caress? Here in WA I’ve had my ballot mailed to me no questions asked for over 20 years. gently caress this.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So this is hitting national news sources. PBS Newshour was tweeting about it last night and NPR has it as part of their top of the hour news update. AP had stories up yesterday as well.

Just checking google news I can see sources from all over the world reporting on the story, even if it’s just a Reuters or AP summary.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Maryland, Delaware, Wisconsin, and Colorado are fairly small and diverse states.

Sadly, none of them were even in consideration. Minnesota is pretty close to fitting the bill and was almost picked to be one of the first states.

Also, they are going to "review" the state line up every cycle (but, that doesn't mean they are definitely going to change them every cycle), so the 2024 lineup might be kind of pointless if Biden runs again.

Washington State. Hawaii would also be an excellent candidate.

I’m not sure why everyone keeps ignoring it, but it’s sitting right there up in the corner and it’s certainly more racially diverse than Minnesota and has very large unions.

It’s just weird that only one state west of the Mississippi gets the early treatment and anything touching the pacific is always ignored.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

mawarannahr posted:

It’s not that much more diverse in WA just 73% white instead of 83%. Hawaii on the other hand is 24%.

Race wasn’t the only criteria, which is why I mentioned union membership. Not sure why you completely ignored that.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Archonex posted:

Oh my loving god what forum do you think you're on? This is not somethingpedantic.com.

Edit: And this is coming from someone who will happily do long effort posts. You're not even disagreeing with me, you're just angrily stanning for a currently unworkable system of mass energy generation that no one has figured out yet!

You also claimed such an explosion could reach 150 million Celsius. Come on.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Instead, Patty Murray got it. :getin:

I should explain further, this position is also linked with being the chair of Senate Appropriations.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 13, 2022

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So I think it’s fair to say that he’s not actually running for President, because he’s literally doing none of the work any other candidate would be doing.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Randalor posted:

I can think of at least 3 reasons why he would think what he's doing counts as running.

1) He expects to get in from pure Republican inertia. The party at large still loved him as of a few weeks ago, with DeSantis being the only real contender.

2) He doesn't think he needs to start campaigning yet, and just got the grift trainfundraising started early. The election is still 2 years out, remember.

3) He still believes that he's the president, and ANY DAY NOW the election is going to be overturned and he will ascend to resume his rightful place as Der FuhrerEl Presidente The President as he tears down the tyrannical Constitution that was prohibiting him from being President-for-Life.

I frankly don't give a poo poo what he thinks.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

BDawg posted:

There's not a lot someone like him needs to do right now. Visiting early states to get his name out there isn't needed. All he really needs to do is raise money. It's still very early.

We all know he declared early because he thought it would prevent him from being investigated / indicted.

Though, I think he'll pull out if he thinks he'll lose the nomination.

He at the very least needs permanent staff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Jaxyon posted:

The point is that if I'm steeling a similar amount of cash, I'm in jail. Not an administrative procedure.

Yeah, this is where I fall. It's the same amount of value, why is it worth less if it's my labor?

I think comparing it strictly to petty theft isn't the best comparison though, as a whole lot of that happens without any police involvement.