Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
The attorney general of Texas and his wife who is a state senator are both attempting to flee the state in their white bronco in order to avoid being served a subpoena.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Prediction: Walker is going to go up in the polls because of the abortion thing. There is nothing CHUDs love more than a hypocrisy elemental. Remember, fascists actively celebrate being able to flaunt the norms of society if it means they gain power. Many of their most devoted would prefer to have a candidate who's paid for abortions. They love doubling down, to show how free from consequences and consistency they are.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

I AM GRANDO posted:

Are there really undecided voters at this point in history? Or is that meant in the sense of “undecided about whether or not they’re going to bother voting this time”?

Yes and they are the dumbest dipshits imaginable.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

Maybe, but almost to a man, the people who've witnessed botched executions did not like it. Funny that.

I mean the whole conservative mindset is based on not understanding the brutal realities of the policies they prefer. They'll vote to send trans people to the ovens in a heartbeat but they don't want to be the people working in the camp.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, had those exact same allegations been made about an older Republican, the same people who didn't believe it about Biden would largely believe it about that Republican.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Maybe because it's not certain the Haitian government is acting in the best interests of it's people?

E: beaten by seconds

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

DeathSandwich posted:

What is the best interest of the people, in this case?

I'm not meaning to be pedantic, but there are a whole bunch of conclusions you could be leading to and I don't want to strawman you.

I definitely don't claim to know that. I was just responding to the idea that because "the Haitian government requested aid, we should do it". I definitely don't trust the US government to not gently caress it up in every conceivable way, and I'm skeptical of any government that asks for our help specifically, given our abysmal track record.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Dang Liz Truss just resigned. Too bad our fascists have more staying power over here.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Don't let them fool you with that "Republicans suck too" bullshit. They aren't voting for the lesser of two evils, they are voting to hurt the people they hate. They love the GOP as it is and any Republican who says otherwise is a liar (they are all liars anyway).

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Duh, but you are flipping out on posters for correcting you on names and sentences. That was the weird part.

Did Beau Biden ever come out and say this was a huge miscarriage of justice and the judge who let the rapist off scot free isn't fit for office?

Because this "well, gee, the system is sometimes flawed and well, things just happen, can't do anything about it" isn't something an ethical person says in the wake of an outcome like that.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Wonder if she still thinks we just need a stronger Republican Party

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

the_steve posted:

I think it's more that, like Trump, if people aren't paying attention to them then what's the point?

Sure, they enjoy their echo chambers where it's illegal to disagree with them, but they prefer the feeling that somewhere a lib is being triggered and owned because they had to read the latest Let's Go Brandon tweet, and they know they aren't getting that validation on a conservative social media site.

This is spot on. Remember that at their core, these people are reactionaries. They don't have beliefs, they have prejudices. The entire essence of their ideology is the infliction of suffering on people they hate. FB and Twitter are literally a drug to them because they get to act out their base impulses with far fewer social norms constraining them. To make this work, there has to be a victim to attack.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Eric Cantonese posted:

I agree that a lot of the fiction of the Court's legitimacy is laughable and aggravating, but there is still a bare amount of window dressing that you need to put on things.

Is there? What was the window dressing for overturning roe, which was a 50 year precedent and all those fucks swore under oath it was settled law?

Not trying to be snarky. If there is an internally consistent rationale I'd like to hear it. (I don't think "those decisions were all wrong" counts)

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

No, but SCOTUS also legalized gay marriage. So, this bill doesn't really change the status quo and just makes it slightly more difficult for SCOTUS to overturn itself.

I completely disagree with this. It's only more difficult if you believe the court is constrained by internally consistent logic. It is not. They can do whatever the hell they want to do.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Fair enough.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Loving v Virginia is something I'd be 0% surprised if the Court struck down though. "X has always been this way" doesn't mean poo poo when actual fascists possess de facto control of the Supreme Court. Sure they have chosen to practice at least some care in what they do, but that isn't a guarantee of safety for any particular issue. The only constraint they have is to not undo civil rights too precipitously. They seem content to dole out these absurd decisions slowly, in a effort to maintain an obviously fake facade of legitimacy. But they could change their minds on that at any time as well.

FLIPADELPHIA fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 14, 2022

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Reversing Loving would only hurt people in Chud states that can't afford to move somewhere else (so not him). Also, if there's a man alive so far up his own rear end that he'd write a Court opinion nullifying his own marriage, it would be Clarence Thomas.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
It's so loving lovely that reproductive rights in this country are being destroyed by 2 people. There isn't a hell hot enough for Sinema and Manchin.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Legalist arguments are kind of moot these days anyway given that the endpoint of our judicial questions is now openly "what these 5-6 politicians in robes personally believe". Bush v Gore was kind of the end of the illusion that court rulings need to be "legally defensible" or even internally consistent. The Court and its justices will do what they want, going as far as they think they can without giving sufficient cause for the other branches to finally ignore them, which they can "legally" do at any time given that the idea of judicial review is itself made up and not even in the Constitution.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Trump rejecting Elon's plea to come back to Twitter is so loving hilarious and awesome. It's like the one cool thing he's ever done.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Gyges posted:

In the most recent case, the Democrats totally had the votes to pass what they wanted but the parliamentarian said parts of the bill wouldn't work. If they actually wanted to pass that, they could have either changed the rules, over ruled the parliamentarian or replaced her. Instead they declared their hands tied. So apparently we had 50 + Harris to enact something, but less than 50 wanting to enact something so bad that they'd still vote yes if Harris or Schumer ignored the parliamentarian's ruling.

If this isn't the biggest microcosm of the modern Democratic Party then I don't know what is.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I mean, if Gallego wants to run against her there's nothing the Dem Party can do about it, right? She's in the absolute shitter as far as approval goes and this will sink her even further so I don't understand what she expects the dems to do? They can't bar him from running against her and they don't exactly have to put their finger on the scale to help Gallego, who would trounce her in a primary.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

pencilhands posted:

Is there any chance of trump, desantis, etc. falling all over themselves in a clusterfuck and some actual moderate winning the primary in 2024? I realize the republican party is still awful but I would love an election that doesn't make me scared for the immediate future.

No. The GOP is full on fascist now and there's no going back. Their entire worldview is spite and hate. They gave the game away with Trump and if anything, the only voters open vulnerable to a "moderate" Republican are centrist Dems.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Suing in Court to be able to legally lie about being a "founder" of Tesla when he didn't found poo poo.

Also he's lied about his college education for years, claiming he had a physics degree or some other weird poo poo. He's a compulsive liar that got rich and now that the house of cards has started to fall, I'm willing to bet a bunch of other heinous poo poo will eventually come out.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

DarkCrawler posted:

All the Musk fans around me are shut down or mocked. Shame works. Wink wink.

Yeah I have one friend that's a Tesla cultist who prior to this latest round of musk gently caress ups, was always on social media defending Elon and arguing with people. He hasn't said poo poo in like 2 weeks.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

generally speaking, law authorities are not aware of crimes that go unreported

This is just more victim blaming. Please stop.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Electing diet fascists like Mitt Romney does not inoculate a population against fascism. If anything it enables them as the open fascists in the party get to play double underdog, and that's how we got Trump. Having open fascists be the face of the GOP exposes moderates and "more bipartisanship!" liberals as being feckless cowards to anyone paying even the barest amount of attention.

I agree with the poster above who said that they would rather deal with an open fascist than a fash that pretends to respect the rule of law.