Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Paracaidas posted:

A pair of really interesting polls catching attention right now:
First, we have what people are hearing out of messaging:
https://mobile.twitter.com/aedwardslevy/status/1574055846501310464

Followed by what people consider most important:
https://mobile.twitter.com/EmGusk/status/1573886721091059712

As additional background, we're starting to see more aggregates putting House control within the margin of error come November
Isn't that always to an extent true? That most elections and primaries start farther apart until it gets closer to the vote? Or, maybe not always, but a substantial amount of the time.

Edit
Page snipe fixed for context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

But, big companies that rely heavily on brand awareness (with the exception of Uber) all seem to realize that they don't know what the impact of online advertising is, but are all too scared to be "the one" who stops doing it and gets buried. So, it's become like a weird cost of doing business to just throw away a certain amount of your company's money as an insurance policy.

We've visited the goddamn moon and somehow the supposed big intelligent leaders of our society still feel perfectly normal sacrificing large swaths of grain to the gods.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Solkanar512 posted:

It's amazing how loving techbros can never, never resist doing the same poo poo that's been proven to fail because they're too good to listen to anyone who isn't just like them.

When you believe that you have earned everything in your lap because you are a superman, you believe in these kinds of creepy supposedly darwinist raffles.

Because to not believe in them is to openly admit that perhaps luck really did have some say in your own rise to power.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Weird to see a Pope taking a hammer to someone's husband. Historically, it has been the case that the husband hammers the Pope.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Can we all agree to just collectively ignore anyone that frequently makes this precise facial expression? It seems to be related to really dumb people that believe they are the smartest people in the world.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Jaxyon posted:

Eh I suspect that he's gonna make some promises and they'll come back and advertise. They just want reassurance.

Maybe. On the other hand, what percentage of advertising was done by major automotive companies? You know, direct competitors to another of Musk's companies?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I can't imagine the mindset needed to be capable of working for a company like Twitter, but still feel the need to stick with a job that tells you that you're either fired or on an 84 hour work week.

I would have quit immediately. I have quit other jobs for similar reasons, and I am not as obviously employable as these folks almost certainly are.

There has to be a fairly significant number of people that just walk. A company tells me that I am on 84 hours? That best case scenario is 84 hours, worst case is I am fired? I help them with getting it settles and I walk. I don't see how Twitter survives Musk. It's going to be held together with chicken wire, chewing gum, and memories.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Levitate posted:

the reply tweets to anything musk tweets are just gross and dumb as hell
e: not really USCE newsworthy I guess but still it's infuriating to see the people who just non critically take anything musk says as the smartest thing ever and think he's a genius at all things tech

They want permission from the universe to be just as unapologetically callous, belligerent, un-self-critical, and self-important. And if he's seen as a faultless God, this legitimizes their own numerous shortcomings, as opposed to necessitating a moment of self-reflection.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

DynamicSloth posted:

No they'll just kick it down to the states and say the Feds have no basis to legislate.

If, and this is a big, big if, they wanted to block such a thing, this is indeed the justification that they would attempt to use. However, I am not sure it passes muster. Individual state marriage laws have always struck me as pretty odd. It's a bit of a disaster if one state recognizes your marriage but another doesn't.

We can try to claim marriage as this personal or spiritual or sacred thing all we want, but at the end of the day, as far as the government and all entities outside the marriage are concerned, it's just a financial contract, and probably the most common kind of contract outside of general employment. Leaving that up to the states is more trouble than it's worth.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Ither posted:

Uber or Lyft?

While individual rides will be cheaper than a car, this solution will not wind up more affordable than owning a car.

I don't drive at all (meaning I imagine it'd be worse for someone who does and presumably isn't used to walking wherever they can) and needing to use Uber and Lyft for everything during the early stages of the pandemic where public transit was shut down or... Uh, not really very safe, an still having to go to my old, essential job every day pretty much cancelled out any amount of money that my then constant overtime would have been making me. It was easily my largest monthly expense, and nothing really came close

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
It was an unpleasant day at my old work when I realized that the emails that would go out whenever someone threatened to shoot us all or bomb us or whatever were only reserved for the threats that were deemed "credible". Not all the threats. Just the ones that might have legs.

My neighborhood has had a significant uptick in gun violence, at least anecdotally. I can't remember the last week where I didn't read about at least one in my area.

Living in this country is needlessly stressful.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

I AM GRANDO posted:

Smoking used to be commonplace in the US, but now it’s despised. I see no reason gun ownership couldn’t follow the same trajectory. Cigarette companies had a stranglehold on law and politics in the US just like the nra and gun manufacturers do now. You can’t make a problem go away entirely, but that’s no excuse to do nothing.

It stands to reason that at least part of the solution is to pressure more private spaces to ban guns, if the country at large won't. I mean, obviously for poo poo like school shootings, it's already the case that they are banned, but it certainly couldn't make matters any worse. At this point, I would be inclined to say any progress at all on the issue, even if small and symbolic, would be better than the "literally nothing forever" we are currently facing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
To say nothing of our shoddy infrastructure. The social safety net is one thing, but the actual physical bits of the country are kinda backwater.

The person that came up with GDP was one of the most successful liars in history. The US has a lot of money. Americans? Not so much.