Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Many cards have been stripping away the benefits (like extended warranties) already, and USAA recently eliminated the competitive cashback rate on my most-used card. They’ve also been dividing rewards into ever-more-narrow categories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Tibalt posted:

We're not going to get the housing crash that people are waiting for and we're might not even get the market correction you'd expect. Just add it as one more thing to the pile of 'This economy is weird and the old rules don't apply anymore,' along with the permanent contraction of the workforce keeping unemployment low and increased demands for goods and services slamming into supply chain issues.

This was always just wishful thinking mixed with a belief that something that goes up a lot surely must come back down. My former coworkers back in Colorado are still repeating the idiotic line that marijuana legalization is what’s driving housing costs and surely that bubble will burst, when the costs are actually being driven by a pretty large amount of sustainable industrial growth and federal investment.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Clarste posted:

I'm gonna say that algorithms are by and large a net negative on society and I'd be pleased if the Supreme Court banned them

Right wing memes like this are starting to get funny

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Isn't Russia the country where its people are described as resoundingly politically apathetic? I don't see how you can claim that Americans are the ones with no comprehension of basic politics, even when you're not comparing them to Russia. Americans are extremely active in their political systems at every level.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Being very active in politics does not at all correlate to having an effective understanding or comprehension of politics, this should be extremely clear by now.

That’s just kind of a nonsense-sounding standard that doesn’t seem like it would apply to very many people on earth at all.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

This would cost $40 in my town even pre-Joe

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I am absolutely in love with the argument that something fishy must be going on because Biden beat Obama with support from The Blacks. I mean, why *wouldn't* they vote with their skin color?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

selec posted:

I mean, rhetorically this is smart politics. Answer the question you wished they asked, and deny the press any credibility as a watchdog or overseer. Now, to be fair, the press has by and large abrogated that duty on their own say-so, but nobody’s going to complain about a politician being mean to a reporter, the Gianforte Insight.

It's unpleasant to see but I really can't argue with giving the press the respect it deserves.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

selec posted:

I’m sure it’s not part of a food chain outside of rich people though, probably not an issue!

Well, pretty much. Four or five crops feed the whole planet. Menus will change and people will become more accustomed to eating the fish that grow in the new niches.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

So like, was the 2010 earthquake response also an exercise in dominance?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

tbh I kind of had the tenor of this discussion pretty well pegged when I brought up the 2010 earthquake relief and was told that was just another example of imperial domination

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The comeback of stack ranking is amazing. It's an epically tried-and-failed approach but it just appeals so well to powerful narcissists that they can't resist.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Not shocked the nazier version of Parler is trending that way.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wonder how long journalists are going to use the nazi bird site to make shocked posts about what the nazi bird site owner is doing while being harassed by nazi bird site posters

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

So even with the limited employee protections workers in the US have, don't "for cause" firings that
don't come with a paper-trail of disciplinary action and coincidentally line up with events like share vesting and retirement create a liability for the company even outside the WARN Act?

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 31, 2022

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1587498907336118274
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1587500060853424129

The paid version still has ads and will prioritize everyone else's searches to paid accounts.

Twitter, Elon, a bunch of banks, some innocent people, and Saudi Arabia might all take huge loses from this. So, maybe Elon actually did the world a favor by self-destructing and taking some of the worst people down with him?

Wait, so I only have to pay $8 a month to give my spam account top priority in responses? That's SEO you normally can't even pay for!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Gatts posted:

What will the vacuum of a Twitterless media/social-verse create in its absence to take its place?

Some other dumb public site to post bad takes on, probably. Twitter wasn’t exactly a technological revolution, just a free service meeting a need that other businesses hadn’t quite figured out.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Are they going to make sure the office is empty before locking it, or is that how they’re going to keep their MVPs working on the new verification system over the weekend?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ron (D)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Why wouldn’t you include facility rent as part of the total cost for the food service though?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Big Slammu posted:

I have found open disagreements with superiors in public forums to be career limiting moves in corporate America.

Yes this is so obviously and generally such a stupid thing to do that it only makes sense that it happened if the employee engaging in it was already in "IDGAF" mode, which it turns out they were.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It's been hard living with COVID for the past 17 years

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

PhazonLink posted:

Covid was the barest training wheels on how preppers and other stupid fuckboys would deal with an actual large scale bad thing, theyre wouldnt last a week.

They might, but the first step is to recognize that the Bad Thing is actually occurring so they all failed right out of the gate

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Or do you think that tourists in the US should suffer Texas criminal penalties for weed because It’s Are Cuntree?

You think this is primarily a US concept? I'm not aware of anywhere in the world this isn't the standard, aside from cases like SOFA agreements between NATO militaries and host governments or diplomatic immunity.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 8, 2022

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cops aren’t the ones going after wage claims lol

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Randalor posted:

but I can also kind of see the logic behind having one main agent per case rather than having multiple people work on different aspects of a case and potentially overlook more suspicious activity.

This is typically described as having a "team lead with resources," not assigning all the work to one person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Setting work boundaries is probably the least objectionable thing about her