Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Push El Burrito posted:

I'm not a huge economy dude but wouldn't that effectively kill the idea of credit ratings?

Because if so I'm all for it.

I have to assume people wouldn't suddenly have to buy cars and houses and stuff with debit so that would probably still exist? I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I saw in the NPR article that 4 million borrowers hold these sorts of loans, but it doesn't say how much total they are. I wonder if the feds would be able to just absorb the cost of the loans to make them equivalently forgiven to the other fed loans and how many unnecessary, unwanted tanks and fighter planes (cash equivalent) it would take to do so?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I guess this is a stupid naive take but stopping youtube from recommending isis recruitment (or instagram from by their own admission trying to give teen girls eating disorders or facebook promoting nazi pages "to see what would happen" seems... good to do? Like those things shouldn't get to happen and companies should get obliterated for doing them?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

OK, yeah given the court and how America works and so forth that makes sense but maybe also people shouldn't be able to run ISIS tapes and do a 4 billion dollar ad campaign for bulimia and I wish there was a way to make them stop? Is this one of those "paradox of intolerance" things

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Also when they constantly admit to like A/B testing a Facebook algorithm specifically designed to drive people into suicidal despair vs one that doesn't and decide to keep the first one cause it gets more clicks we can't necessarily just say "oops all computers"

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I don't know whether its funnier to me for Elon to call Putin or vice versa. Both seem silly.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I know we went over the whole "huh, Alex Jones makes like 60 million dollars a month that's crazy" last time but now I guess we get to find out if Alex Jones has an Actual Billion Dollars lying around for the courts to take or if its all gonna get paid in IOUs and brain pills

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/BrandyZadrozny/...ingawful.com%2F

I don't know what I was expecting but Jones seems pretty chipper for someone just charged a billion dollars

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

hmmmm

https://twitter.com/phildstewart/status/1584541422317076480

would they indict him two weeks before the midterm?

I mean thats the only thing that makes sense. Closing the camps maybe? But then that would be like Homeland Security not DoJ i guess. Thats the only other thing that's "of national security" that could be big enough to swing elections I can think of. Unless they finally decided to start that war some people always seem to want Biden to start, but again that would be Pentagon, not DoJ.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

haveblue posted:

Yeah, but all those people wanted to get verified because of what verification was taken to mean- trust, status, belonging to an elite company-recognized tier of tweeters. If this goes through the only thing verification will mean is "I got successfully extorted by Elon Musk" and demand will go way down

I mean I'm pretty sure that even if the cachet of a bluecheck does completely instantly shift, there's also a pretty good sized market of reply guys and weirdos that will pay any price for an Elon Badge yeah. He has a fanbase too. Is it as big as the base of people who wanted a blue check to scold more effectively? I do not know.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

Yeah, his devotees were a real mark against the site already - to say nothing of the scammers those people attract like fruit flies - but now that he's the actual owner they're going to be whipped into a frenzy and probably sent gift baskets by the company. Gonna be wild.

It's pretty obviously just a narcissistic frenzy and the company will be run along those lines as people write pieces about how baffling it is that Musk is doing this or that which makes zero business sense. I suspect it'll all be a lot less funny when Musk is the GOP nom this time 2 years from now.

I mean, "in a 6-3 decision" and all but isnt Musk not allowed to be president because he's South African?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Do we know how a hypothetical Trump/DeSantis primary (or if you prefer, Trump/DeSantis vs DeSantis/Trump tickets) poll nationally? Like yeah DeSantis has an insane army of Floridian devotees, but Trump has oke of those in all (or lets say most) states not just Florida. Like is there a big idk Idahoans for DeSantis movement

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

It would be pretty funny if the town regulations of Palm Beach ended up being the only laws of God or man that could bind Donald Trump though.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

It's a shame President Biden didn't learn about how the senate works in his what like 40 years in it? Because he's been very clear: two more senators gets us abortion rights:

https://mobile.twitter.com/joebiden/status/1584556593978408964

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/09/23/biden-promises-to-codify-roe-if-two-more-democrats-are-elected-to-the-senate.html

https://apnews.com/article/biden-congress-joe-manchin-kyrsten-sinema-los-angeles-23996d96d891503e0b868396b0ff3792

I guess someone tricked him.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Charlz Guybon posted:

He only got one more senator. One is less than Two. Hope that helps

Yeah I'm realizing now that I forgot to quote FlamingLiberal's post that they need 60 senators for abortion, which mine was intended to be in reply to. Posting error.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

evilweasel posted:

biden was very clear on what would get roe v wade codified: 52 dem senators; hold the house.

Also that those two new senators and the new/remaining House members all like abortion which despite party platform we can look at Manchin and Sinema and Cuellar and etc and see is not at all guaranteed

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Also is it possible whatever fake logic the Court uses to make marriage a state issue also bans internet weddings, or they just do it anyway at the same time? Like we're probably not the only ones to think of this loophole.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Is that as much of a guarantee anymore? Like is Capital Inc making MTG yell about the bankers having Qanon child trafficking tunnels directly into the Congressional Record and so forth? It seems like a rapidly growing contingent of the federal government are True Believers now and are therefore more difficult to lever but that might just be a different set of smoke and mirrors idk

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I was unaware random home goods merchants could just unilaterally decide to run for RNC president. At least with the DNC thats presented a lot as like the party establishment, the old "smoke filled room" so it seems they'd have more control over who got to run it than that? Like maybe it is still the old capitalists who he has to get the votes of?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

It looks like from what I've been able its kinda a Speaker of the House situation where its the 153 members of the actual Republican National Committee (3 from each state plus DC, one of which has to be female which is kinda interesting) who vote on National Chairman, who has been but is not required to be one of their number who can get enough votes

E: so they "could" elect him just like the house "could" elect trump or colin powell or me to the speakership but they dont

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

All the rail workers need to do is offer a bigger bribe, or 538 bigger bribes, than the bosses, and justice will win. Fair's fair. They might have to throw in some late fees for not bribing earlier though.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

How many years does "we machine gunned hundreds of your grandparents and are allowed to do it to you if you want a sick day" take to expire as a subtext to the conversation? 30? 50?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Blair Mountain was also, quite literally, over a century ago.

e: also technically army aircraft were involved but weren't the ones that dropped bombs.

If it were 90 years instead, what would change?

If it were 80? 70? 30? 10? Whats the statute of limitations on a President ordering American citizens blown up for wanting rights?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Why were the BLM protestors out getting beaten and thrown into blacksite vans anyway? Probably because they were tired of getting so much support and love from the government's armed wing, just like railroad strikers will!

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Cygnids posted:

Why? Could you maybe get into details about what number of white rural workers labor demonstrations need to have in order to get immunity from police beatings?

Police beat and oppress people for many different reasons, and if you think an us-vs-them mentality can’t be easily set up in this kind of situation you have much, much more faith in police in america than I do.

Police (and military in an enforcement role) are always rational and calm and follow the rules, especially when faced with people they consider lesser or weak or, just for example, were given a green light by Biden and Congress to get back to work by any means necessary. Sounds like you need a reminder to back the blue.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Verus posted:

Wow! Those poilice officers sound like some rude customers! Has anyone told Joe about this?

Yeah he gave them 35 billion extra in cash and prizes for removing those "superpredators" he spent 40 years arguing for harsher sentences for from our streets.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

https://clerk.house.gov/Votes/2022490

Here's the yea/nay/not voting list for the house, it looks like the senate one may not be out yet, and all the articles I saw just give totals without full pastable lists of yeas and nays and n/as

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Also, you know, for her to not be free there has to be a single cop or judge that disagrees with her motives or methods and well, not sure if you've cracked a newspaper in the last few years.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

The DNC isn't actually a federal institution in any law making sense (I don't think) so I guess we'll find out what happens if the DNC says the primary happens on Nevada day and the state says it happens on Nevada Day -7? I guess its the NH Electoral Commission that actually brings out the poll machines and certs the election but then the DNC might not accept their delegate assignment until the day they say it happened or something?

Very confusing situation.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Also I know hypocrisy isn't real and neither is nuance but I'm not looking forward to hearing the Fox News standup segment of "Dems choose to ignore elections they don't like" given uhh, the last two cycles

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

But paying guys with guns to just sort of hang around being scary is one of America's core competencies! Heck we could probably get volunteers!

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Charliegrs posted:

I feel like kind of people who would volunteer to stand around looking scary with guns are the same types that would shoot up electrical infrastructure.

Oh completely, but we have to be surprised and grave each time it happens and add a little funding to the Transformer Terror Team thats how this works

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Sounds like a person doing a copycat situation, but... why copycat that when you don't even know who did it and then run away? Someone was just mad, saw this on the news, assumed it was someone on their team, and then just went out and did it? Usually, the copycat people want fame or think they are part of the movement that they are copying.

You really dont have to worry about "motive" or "reason" or "what they were thinking" with these sorts of things. They were given the programming "shooting up power stations owns the libs" and so they did it. Same as buying Goya beans or burning your Nikes and putting it on Facebook. "Why" isn't really part of it.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

FlapYoJacks posted:

To not break the law in other countries? I understand it’s trumped up punishment but she did break the law. :shrug:

Would you say the same thing to a Saudi gay person at the gallows and would you include the shrug emoji.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

FlapYoJacks posted:

Are you comparing choosing to bring weed into a country where it’s illegal vs someone who is born genetically different? That’s incredibly disingenuous.

Does it matter? You've been very clear. Disobey a nation's laws, pay their price. :shrug:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

FlapYoJacks posted:

Yeah it really does matter. One is a choice, the other isn’t. What on earth is this argument?

The laws in Saudi are pretty clear and they violated them anyways, as the wise person once said. :shrug:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I mean it kinda makes sense she expects that. She's been able to do whatever she wants and grenade the entire platform so far with no consequences so why should they suddenly start existing?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

If her job skills aren't working for her any more, maybe she could go to one of the code academies people pay to send the coal miners to! It's your ticket to the modern economy!

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Especially since Warnock is now Dem #50, how much will this really change? Like, Sinema will go from "won't vote for Dem stuff (D)" to "won't vote for Dem Stuff (I)"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

On some level, especially if Warnock and Fetterman start actually voting for like the voting rights bill and stuff, I kinda respect the kind of self esteem and drive it takes to think one can girlboss one's way directly to the white house.