Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Shooting Blanks posted:

I believe insurance was paid and my dad was effectively told "tough poo poo."

Edit: He was told that because the items in question were gems and value couldn't be proven or something. I'm forgetting the details now, this was last year.

USPS doesn't like paying out insurance if it can help it. You'd have to have some kind of receipt for the value of the contents and appeal the ever loving poo poo out of it if they try to gently caress you over. I would say to have things like that sent registered mail since it's supposed to be secure mail and everything is handled by hand (no machine sorting) and signed off on, fully insured, and is meant for extremely valuable items or documents. If it disappears, there's a paper trail of where it was and who it was handed off to last, and must be signed for upon delivery.

It could also be possible that the package was chewed up in a sorting machine and the handlers at the plant couldn't figure out where the contents were supposed to go. Either way, it sucks.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Oct 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Edit: He was told that because the items in question were gems and value couldn't be proven or something. I'm forgetting the details now, this was last year.

That's what happened when they broke my (insured, well-packed) monitor 6 or so years ago. Never bothered with USPS insurance again.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Shooting Blanks posted:

You stick something up there long enough you'll get diamonds :dadjoke:

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Star Man posted:

we were all entitled to have union representation no matter what

Know your rights!

https://www.nlrb.gov/about-nlrb/rights-we-protect/your-rights/weingarten-rights

Additionally, the NLRB has signaled that they're ready to move to extend Weingseted rights to non unionized employees when the right case presents itself, hopefully that happens soon.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
hmmmm

https://twitter.com/phildstewart/status/1584541422317076480

would they indict him two weeks before the midterm?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The preliminary results and other studies basically confirmed this already, but the "official" numbers are out and 2020/2021 were historically disastrous years for children's learning.

Interestingly, the plunge happened at similar levels across all demographics, zip codes, and income groups.

The math scores are a historic low and the average test scores for math are now less than 50% in 4th grade and about 51% for 8th grade.

https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/1584529303962013696

quote:

American student test scores plunged by historic levels during the coronavirus pandemic, prompting soul-searching among education figures to chart a future path for the country’s schools.

New results from the National Assessment of Educational Progress, better known as the “Nation’s Report Card,” revealed steep declines in math and reading scores among U.S. fourth- and eighth-graders that President Joe Biden’s top schools official described as unacceptable.

Education experts anticipated grim news from the nationally-representative exam, which students took earlier this year for the first time since Covid-19 upended their classes and everyday lives. Separate federal testing data released last month confirmed the worries of educators and politicians.

But the scale of the latest test score drops between 2019 and this year — particularly in math for children who are now high school freshmen — and a longer trend of stagnating performance prompted deep concern among officials who issued renewed calls to bring students back up to speed.

“The results in today’s Nation’s Report Card are appalling and unacceptable,” Education Secretary Miguel Cardona told reporters. “This is a moment of truth for education. How we respond to this will determine not only our recovery, but our nation’s standing in the world.”

Statistics released Monday defy easy explanations and standard political partisanship. Declines afflicted states and major cities whether they were led by Republicans who pushed to quickly reopen schools amid the pandemic or Democrats who urged a more cautious return to normal classes. Federal testing officials insist the results reveal no singular correlation between scores and remote or in-person learning.

“There are no winners. There are no losers. There are losses among all states and all grades,” said former North Carolina Gov. Beverly Perdue, chair of the National Assessment Governing Board, in an interview.

“There was really hardly any difference between a poor, economically deprived rural community and a very sophisticated ZIP code,” Perdue said of the country’s math scores. “The pandemic hit us all.”

The nation’s average math score for fourth-graders fell by five points since 2019 (from 241 to 236, out of a possible 500). Eighth-graders’ national average math score dropped by eight points (from 282 to 274, out of a possible 500). Average reading scores for both grades fell, less dramatically, by three points. Scores in a group of large urban school districts fell by similar margins.

California’s statewide average eighth-grade math score dropped by six points since 2019. Florida and Illinois dropped by seven points. Average math scores for older students dropped by 11 and six points, respectively, in New Jersey and New York.

“These mathematics results are historic,” National Center for Education Statistics Commissioner Peggy Carr told reporters. “They are the largest declines in mathematics we have observed in the entire history of this assessment.”

Education experts describe math scores as most responsive to teaching and classroom learning, partly because families and community members are more comfortable helping students read outside of school hours.

But Carr said it will take more research to learn the precise extent of remote schooling and other factors on the scores.

“We cannot find anything in this data that says that the results we are looking at can be solely, primarily attributable to differences in how long students stayed in remote learning,” Carr said. “That doesn’t mean it didn’t have an effect.”

Cardona will visit a Maryland elementary school Monday to promote the use of federal stimulus dollars to help students recover. The department will also issue renewed suggestions for how educators and local leaders can use the money to address lost learning.

Fresh debates over the structure and progress of American schooling are sure to follow.

“This is not the result simply of a horrible three years for students, this is a result of a realized generational decline,” Perdue said. “If people get this data, look at it, and think ‘It’s all because of the pandemic,’ then that could very well be a nearly fatal mistake for decision-making.”

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

hmmmm

No. It won't be anything political because of the DOJ's political non-interference policy.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

hmmmm

I mean thats the only thing that makes sense. Closing the camps maybe? But then that would be like Homeland Security not DoJ i guess. Thats the only other thing that's "of national security" that could be big enough to swing elections I can think of. Unless they finally decided to start that war some people always seem to want Biden to start, but again that would be Pentagon, not DoJ.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The preliminary results and other studies basically confirmed this already, but the "official" numbers are out and 2020/2021 were historically disastrous years for children's learning.

Interestingly, the plunge happened at similar levels across all demographics, zip codes, and income groups.

The math scores are a historic low and the average test scores for math are now less than 50% in 4th grade and about 51% for 8th grade.

https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/1584529303962013696

I would be curious how this stacks up globally, was there a global decrease? My assumption is yes but I don't know.

Most parents already barely care about parenting their kids, not surprising they wouldn't enforce anything around remote learning.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

kdrudy posted:

I would be curious how this stacks up globally, was there a global decrease? My assumption is yes but I don't know.

Most parents already barely care about parenting their kids, not surprising they wouldn't enforce anything around remote learning.

The international PISA test was supposed to happen in 2021, but was delayed to 2022 because of Covid. Not sure when those results are supposed to be out. I think other individual countries have information out, but they aren't the same test, so it isn't a 1:1 comparison.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

kdrudy posted:

My BIL and MIL are both teachers and a bunch of their kids just wouldn't do the work, assignments wouldn't get done at all and then at the end of the semester parents and admin would freak out and blame the teachers. Remote learning before college, when you've learned to study for yourself, is a disaster for most kids.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah according to our principal, last year kids were either getting A's or F's very few B's and C's. I had to get my kid tutoring to make up for the gap.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

hmmmm

Probably blocking the Twitter deal since Biden has been using “national security issues” language around that.

But that wouldn’t be the DoJ so nevermind.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

hmmmm

I am actually going to have a laughing fit if somehow, some way, they’re going to make this about Hunter Biden.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Ringo Star Get posted:

I am actually going to have a laughing fit if somehow, some way, they’re going to make this about Hunter Biden.

It'll be something completely unrelated like China managed to hack social security db or something.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Oracle posted:

It'll be something completely unrelated like China managed to hack social security db or something.

Maybe they developed a vaccine for Havana Syndrome

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
We're going beyond legalizing weed. Getting high is now mandatory.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Havana was the first field test of the Weed Ray

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Oracle posted:

Actually it might be TikTok now that you mention that.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

projecthalaxy posted:

I mean thats the only thing that makes sense. Closing the camps maybe? But then that would be like Homeland Security not DoJ i guess. Thats the only other thing that's "of national security" that could be big enough to swing elections I can think of. Unless they finally decided to start that war some people always seem to want Biden to start, but again that would be Pentagon, not DoJ.

That's not the only thing that makes sense. Anything could be national security that he could be scheduling a press conference about.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Fart Amplifier posted:

That's not the only thing that makes sense. Anything could be national security that he could be scheduling a press conference about.

Taking bets on "one or more senators is actually a killer robot in a human suit" vs. "Joe Biden misplaced the nuclear football if anyone finds it please call 202-647-6575"

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
edited because initial tweet was a bit clickbaity

Thomas doing Graham as much of a favor as he can for the moment from the bench, re: testifying in Fulton Co.

https://twitter.com/steve_vladeck/status/1584581011622350853?s=20&t=Myf3WxuStgHlGHSzda0_Gw

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

BonoMan posted:

Actually it might be TikTok now that you mention that.
There's been some accusations that TikTok's parent company used the app to track specific American individuals, but I don't know how serious/credible it is.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

skylined! posted:

Thomas doing Graham as much of a favor as he can for the moment from the bench, re: testifying in Fulton Co.

https://twitter.com/steve_vladeck/status/1584581011622350853?s=20&t=Myf3WxuStgHlGHSzda0_Gw

He should be forced to recuse because his wife is hip-deep in this poo poo. We really need the senate to codify some ethics rules for the supreme court if the Dems hold it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Tibalt posted:

There's been some accusations that TikTok's parent company used the app to track specific American individuals, but I don't know how serious/credible it is.

Still lol that TikTok only exists because Facebook bought and killed Vine.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Oracle posted:

He should be forced to recuse because his wife is hip-deep in this poo poo. We really need the senate to codify some ethics rules for the supreme court if the Dems hold it

The Senate can't set rules on SCOTUS any more than the SCOTUS can set rules on the Senate.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Fart Amplifier posted:

The Senate can't set rules on SCOTUS any more than the SCOTUS can set rules on the Senate.

The Senate can write new interpretations of the good behavior clause into law. It's better than doing nothing. At worst, it invites the court to issue a ruling that says more clearly than ever that they have usurped too much power

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Possibly what the presser is about.

https://twitter.com/kevincollier/status/1584585023423795213?s=20&t=Myf3WxuStgHlGHSzda0_Gw

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

haveblue posted:

The Senate can write new interpretations of the good behavior clause into law. It's better than doing nothing. At worst, it invites the court to issue a ruling that says more clearly than ever that they have usurped too much power

At worst it's inviting a constitutional crisis. The House and Senate can already impeach a SCOTUS justice.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

hmmmm

Here's a link to the press release.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlUBjJMzLKI

Why is every press release anyone makes always so late getting started?

E: It's finally started.

Velocity Raptor fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 24, 2022

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

skylined! posted:

yeah "hold your horses while I talk to the other eight" is very common

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Looks like the press conference is about several cases against China.

- Two Chinese intelligence officials tried to infiltrate organizations to get inside info on the prosecution efforts against Huawei.
- Several Chinese government officials tried to bribe U.S. government officials.
- Money laundering by the same group of Chinese intelligence agents.
- Obstruction of justice against the same group of intelligence agents.

https://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/23178959/govuscourtsnyed48750610_1.pdf

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Looks like the press conference is about several cases against China.

- Two Chinese intelligence officials tried to infiltrate organizations to get inside info on the prosecution efforts against Huawei.
- Several Chinese government officials tried to bribe U.S. government officials.
- Money laundering by the same group of Chinese intelligence agents.
- Obstruction of justice against the same group of intelligence agents.

https://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/23178959/govuscourtsnyed48750610_1.pdf

Nailed it.

Apparently, the two gov't officials that were bribed for the information were double agents working for the FBI.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Tayter Swift posted:

Knew ye? They just banned @ye!

So where does news go post-Twitter? It's been at the very least this forums' primary source of breaking news for nearly a decade because they stand out so well in posts, and I don't know of an easier way for journalists to publish scoops than just tweeting them out. Toxic as the place could be Twitter is (but soon was) vital to keeping abreast of current events as they happen, and now we're losing it. Twitter sucks, but the vacuum of the lack of Twitter bums the hell out of me.

Twitters big upshot was it's moderation was fairly consistent and not motivated by the same 'one weirdo who slipped onto the mod team' energy to go out of it's way silencing viewpoints like reddit subs attract because of the insane authlibertarin crap it's built around or facebooks rage.exe content algorithm . It's really telling of just how far the fear and outrage factory pushed the envelope on the right that this poo poo is happening. They seem to have lost most of the expertise that let them plant the most horrible poo poo in broad daylight and instead have to get rich weirdos to buy the ball so they can take it home.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

That NYT expose on NYC Yeshivas seems to have brought down scrutiny from all angles.

NY state is investigating the education standards and possible abuse and the federal government is coming down on them for fraud.

They received lots of government aid (primarily food stamps and free school lunches for kids) that they legitimately qualified for, but they also decided to defraud the funds by diverting some of the school lunch money to pay for expenses for the school's administration (including at least one staff party) and paid some of their staff half in cash to make it look like they were poorer than they actually were to get additional government assistance.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1584592300977553439

quote:

Hasidic School to Pay $8 Million After Admitting to Federal Fraud

The Central United Talmudical Academy, which operates the largest all-boys yeshiva in New York State, acknowledged illegally diverting money from federal food aid and other programs.

The largest private Hasidic Jewish school in New York State stole millions of dollars from a variety of government programs in a yearslong fraud, the school admitted in federal court documents filed on Monday.

The operators of the school, the Central United Talmudical Academy, which serves more than 2,000 boys in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, acknowledged that they illegally diverted money from government programs for school lunches, technology and child care. They also admitted to setting up no-show jobs for some employees while paying others in cash and coupons so the employees could qualify for welfare, according to a deferred prosecution agreement filed in Federal District Court in Brooklyn.

In all, the school agreed to pay $5 million in fines in addition to the more than $3 million it had already paid in restitution as part of the deal to avoid prosecution.

“Today’s admission makes clear there was a pervasive culture of fraud and greed in place at C.U.T.A.,” said Michael J. Driscoll, the assistant director in charge of the F.B.I.’s New York office, referring to the school by its initials in a statement on Monday. “We expect schools to be places where students are taught how to do things properly. The leaders of C.U.T.A. went out of their way to do the opposite, creating multiple systems of fraud in order to cheat the government.”

As part of the fraud, school officials took money intended to feed children and instead used it to subsidize parties for adults, the federal authorities said Monday.

A lawyer representing the school, Marc Mukasey, declined to comment. Other representatives of the school did not immediately respond to phone and email messages seeking comment.

The federal investigation into the school’s use of government funding stemmed from a more narrow criminal case in which two former school leaders, Elozer Porges and Joel Lowy, pleaded guilty in March 2018 for their roles in the conspiracy to defraud the government.

Since that case, the school has replaced its executive management team and developed a new set of controls, among other changes, the federal authorities said. As part of the deal, the school will also be subject to the supervision of an independent monitor for the next three years.

The Central United Talmudical Academy, an all-boys private religious school, factored prominently in a New York Times investigation last month that found that Hasidic boys’ schools across the state had received hundreds of millions of dollars in government funding while denying their students a basic secular education.

The Williamsburg school received about $10 million in government funding in the year before the pandemic, according to a Times analysis. Its leaders, who are affiliated with the Satmar group of Hasidic Judaism, also operate several other schools in the state.

There are more than 100 Hasidic boys’ schools in Brooklyn and the lower Hudson Valley, and they have received a total of more than $1 billion in taxpayer money over the past four years, The Times found. They focus on providing religious instruction, with most offering little instruction in English reading and math and almost no classes in history, science or civics.

In general, many Hasidic boys’ schools score lower on state standardized tests than any other schools in the state, public or private.

In 2019, The Times reported, the Central United Talmudical Academy agreed to give state standardized tests in reading and math to more than 1,000 students. Every one of them failed.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Well, that'll help with the wave of antisemitism sweeping the nation. Ugh.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

OAquinas posted:

Well, that'll help with the wave of antisemitism sweeping the nation. Ugh.

Antisemetism, and in fact all bigotries, flourish regardless and oftentimes in spite of material realities.

Deciding that bad behavior drives these things is just buying into the totalizing concept of racial hierarchies.

Saying this is liked saying Kaepernick invited RBG’s comments about him, and it endorses a white supermacist worldview that minorities are being judged for what they do, and not the reality of how our racial caste system works.

Bill Cosby and Barack Obama telling young black men to pull up their pants are in fact agents of white supremacy when they say those things.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

selec posted:

Antisemetism, and in fact all bigotries, flourish regardless and oftentimes in spite of material realities.

Deciding that bad behavior drives these things is just buying into the totalizing concept of racial hierarchies.

Saying this is liked saying Kaepernick invited RBG’s comments about him, and it endorses a white supermacist worldview that minorities are being judged for what they do, and not the reality of how our racial caste system works.

Bill Cosby and Barack Obama telling young black men to pull up their pants are in fact agents of white supremacy when they say those things.

ding ding ding ding ding ding

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Never said it was a primary driver, but this whole situation just serves to reinforce negative stereotypes. They don't need them reinforced, but you can bet they'll latch onto it.

Not saying they shouldn't be prosecuted and held accountable either. Just lovely timing.

...then again, it's never a good time for avoiding Jewish persecution. People suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

selec
Sep 6, 2003

OAquinas posted:

Never said it was a primary driver, but this whole situation just serves to reinforce negative stereotypes. They don't need them reinforced, but you can bet they'll latch onto it.

Not saying they shouldn't be prosecuted and held accountable either. Just lovely timing.

...then again, it's never a good time for avoiding Jewish persecution. People suck.

No, I’m saying racism and racists beliefs are completely orthagonal to the material realities.

Nobody’s opinion about Jewish people moves an iota from this story, because it’s not a story about Jewish culture or life, it’s a story about insular, controlling groups.

Nobody ever worries the nearly identical stories you could write (and sometimes are written) about denim skirt cults or Mormon offshoots would damage the image of those groups, because we all know who the in-group is, and those people, however odd, are in it.

Racists don’t actually look at the stats first and become racist, they look at the stats later to try and make astrology fit the measurements.