Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Musk moving rapidly to cut costs and raise more money from Twitter.

Moving up the subscription plan release date and firing half of all Twitter staff after they already fired 25% earlier.

Not sure how ending work from home is going to save costs, but :shrug:

https://twitter.com/sarahfrier/status/1587967043604602880

Liz Truss - the business edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Push El Burrito posted:

Not believing Republicans hold positions they publicly state they believe is a key component of being a Republican voter.

Pretending to not support those positions, more like.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

-Blackadder- posted:

Crist still got blown out.

As did Clinton after she clobbered Trump in debates.

It's long been known that Debates don't shift opinions.

It wouldn't be DeSantis' debate skills that would doom him, it'd be his questionable ability to generate Trump-level enthusiasm and his weird unlikable prick personality. It's also unknown if his 3rd World Iron fist dictator schtick will actually play on the national stage.

Regardless, Trump clearly is afraid of him. And the Midterms aren't helping. But don't take my word for it.

But since Trump is almost certainly running, DeSantis would have to beat Trump in the primary (which apparently people seem to think is somewhat unlikely) if he were to face Biden. Which leaves us back at DeSantis just softening up Trump.

But who knows, maybe we'll get a nightmare scenario and Trump and DeSantis will unite. Doubtful Trump's ego would allow it, but the Harris/DeSantis debates would be uniformly terrible.

Is there any reason DeSantis isn't just running as VP? He is young enough, he would get the cred even if Trump loses and he would be the designated heir in 2028 either way since Trump won't probably be able to run then either way. Is he just a similar impossible narcissist fascist megalomaniac? He's a Republican politician, isn't their spine surgically removed and lips surgically attached to Trump's rear end in a top hat as a routine procedure now?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Prism posted:

Well, Trump would have to pick him as VP and I doubt he's interested in that.

What the gently caress he cares? Just kiss his rear end and he'll love you. He's not going to go with Pence, right?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

As always, it is fear and hate that carries the day. The GOP is basically mainlining the Democrats' propaganda to the brains of people for them, imagine what they could wring out with actual propaganda of their own. It's ridiculous that Joe loving Biden has basically went furthest in calling Republicans what they are as far as notable Democrats are concerned.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

It's so loving lovely that reproductive rights in this country are being destroyed by 2 people. There isn't a hell hot enough for Sinema and Manchin.

Way more than two people.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
They don't care about the American electorate.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Oxyclean posted:

I mean, those are the red flags, it's just america has decided not to see them as such.

It's just politics and they're nice to me! It is in fact condescension like that which has made them a raging homophobe!

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

but they consider the preservation of decorum a much more important goal than any of those things, and so, here we are.

Most Americans who are not fascists do.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Edit: nvm

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Gumball Gumption posted:

I don't know why America has decided these assholes are allowed to kill us when they want but we have for some reason.

I mean you've decided that the assholes standing in the way of maybe stopping these assholes are allowed to do a whole bunch of other poo poo too. While remaining good/pitiful/sympathetic/fooled/etc. That is the main problem I see and I am pretty sure I know the reasons for it too - and have seen them stated here as well.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Byzantine posted:

The only thing that's ever stopped the Nazis has been killing them.

Eh, nazis or their like are a factor in every society,
Even pre-NSADP. Some succeeded to combat them without killing. The times they had to be killed due to letting their influence in society getting too big are probably the lion's share of stopping nazis, and certainly serve as the unstated warning in all stopping either way. But United States itself has examples of using simply the threat of violence and societal disapproval to subdue at the very least the worst excesses of fascists.

Now when American society relents, forgives and forgets as so many people advocate for across the political spectrum, the Nazis return. It is a pretty obvious cycle in American history by now. Slavery - Compromise with Slavery - Civil War - Reconstruction - End of Reconstruction - Jim Crow - Civil Rights - Lapsing of Civil Rights - Trump - ?

I think there is still a chance for Civil Rights level pullout without having to Civil War Nazis to stop them. That of course happens when they kill enough people that non-fascist-Americans enter their once-in-a-century "OK I am now so done with your poo poo" state of mind so I am not saying it is going to be great nor stop the cycle but I would say the non-violent options haven't been exhausted.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

slurm posted:

Would that be a better option than finally rooting out our original sin?

No, but I am not seeing any path to rooting it out with the present mindscape of non-fascist Americans. There is hope when as an increasing number of people isolate themselves from the fascists, but it is yet nowhere near the capacity of say, the last best chance of rooting it out which was Reconstruction.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Nov 27, 2022

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Gumball Gumption posted:

Is your point that the right wing is blocking gun legislature? The majority of shootings in the US are not coming from the right or are politically motivated.

I'm pretty sure the latter doesn't prevent the right wing from blocking gun legislation, which they are, nor is gun legislation inapplicable to non-politically motivated shootings of all kind (even accidental/suicidal ones).

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
This has to be an entirely new way to be horrific.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-63770438

Why can't people under 21 watch an execution, Missouri? Is it because it is maybe a bad thing?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Mendrian posted:

Honestly tearing the party apart with a strong third party that can steal votes is the only hope of dragging this party an inch to the left.

It's not though. You could actually start playing as dirty as the establishment Democrats and Republicans and attempt to drag the party left more than an inch. Union and railway stuff has provided the left(or equivalents) opportunities in the past to do just that. A third party founded by the same people who fail to understand the rules of the game or refuse to engage in it because of morality would just get turbo-hosed by both of the existing parties even worse and end up a Green Party level joke at best. If saying nice things and begging people to vote for you doesn't work inside the Democratic Party it is unlikely to work outside of it - at least being part of their primaries gets you some sort of an soap box for your pitch. The problem is the pitch itself.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Nov 29, 2022

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

the_steve posted:

That's becoming a thinner and thinner hair to split though. It's rapidly approaching the point where the difference is going to be negligible at best.
Democrats are long overdue to actually DO things, instead of just tut-tutting about how the Red team is technically worse.

Nothing technical about it. People who vote Democrats are choosing the best of two options by any definition. That really is the greatest strength of the Democrats - "both sides "is bullshit. It doesn't make the other side cool and good but it is pointless to undervalue this motivation of the desperate by pretending that the differences are superficial. In the Culture War they are anything but. Establishment Democrats aren't above using the GOP threat in a way that appeals to their constituencies. Leftist Democrats should use it in a way that has historically appealed to the people who they need to get to the polls.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Nov 29, 2022

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Acebuckeye13 posted:

On the other hand, if the entire economy explodes over a protracted railroad strike Biden is gonna have a hell of a lot more problems than "the left is mad at him." It's a lose-lose situation.

The left being mad at him isn't really even much of a problem at this point.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Do they vote for union bosses in American unions or are they appointed by a board or something?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

he opened with 'yes, it does, but we haven't done it in a long time.' because he knows about the Pullman strike, and chose to excise it from consideration on grounds of inconvenience.

it would be preferable if declaring a rail strike illegal was not also declaring it legal to send in the army to murder strikers on grounds of national security. it is a profoundly uncomfortable thing to acknowledge.

really useful when it comes to telling workers to eat poo poo or die, though, as the last century of rail strikes has shown.

Wasn't the Pullman strike like...literally over a century ago?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

selec posted:

Why is “machine gunning” the sole use of force you’re focused on? There is a huge menu of abusive practices cops get up to.

Because people claim that is what will happen to striking workers? It reminds me of the self-defeatist rhetoric that people use to justify why the left can't possibly do anything successful - that success will lead into just all the leftists being murdered. Yet when pressed on the recent evidence of this omnipresent ultra-competent Gestapo that kills leftists at mass level, people find it very difficult to do that.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 30, 2022

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
It wouldn't be the first time bosses try to divide and conquer unions by giving some workers a better deal than others. Portraying it as an unquestioned poo poo sandwich for all weakens the effort tor recognize and combat that tactic.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

-Blackadder- posted:

Reminds me of that moment a few years back when everyone realized that we get a lot of deep dive think pieces into the minds of rural Conservative/Trump voters and the MSM trying to deconstruct the motivations of coal miners in fly over states but you rarely see RWM doing a mirror version of any of that.

I remember someone describing it best as something like, "[Conservatives] seek no new insights", or something a long those lines that really kind of speaks to the fundamental differences in the way the two groups perceive the world.

I attribute it to the constant and desperate attempts of trying to find any reason as to why their colleagues, friends and or/family would vote for Donald Trump that isn't the actual reason: They're loving terrible people, they just didn't exhibit that shittiness to the desperate people in question because they happen to be a part of their accepted in-group. A lot of people - thankfully less and less -
still engage in this self-deceit, which is one of the saddest things about America.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Bear Enthusiast posted:

You should come to America and see firsthand the incredible amount of things that are sadder than that.

Maybe "uniquely sad" would have been better. Then again considering that said terrible people are responsible for many of those sadder things and cheer for them makes it a very complicated web of sadness.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Mooseontheloose posted:

I missed the part where Joe Biden is sending in men with guns to beat down the striking workers or praising the bosses. Can you show me the statements where that happened?

Hey, at least we've moved on from Dems machine gunning them down in droves...hyperbole baby steps?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

cat botherer posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, the Democats!

Nakedly pro-management interventions may have generated sufficient apathy, pessimism, and sadness to avoid a wildcat strike, but the industry will still continue to hemorrhage workers.

You'd think that with union membership being so low the remaining ones would be super-left and radicalized as all hell. Nakedly pro-management interventions usually create the opposite.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Rigel posted:

Culture is hard to overcome, and these jobs are often rural. I've anecdotally known a lot of poor people who use recently-legalized recreational drugs opposed by the GOP but are also still rabidly pro-Trump for either stupid or religious reasons.

I've read enough about early unions to know that racism was (surprise surprise) a huge part of it but you'd think those people would be mostly gone by the rabid verbal assaults on unions by the GOP.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Jaxyon posted:

His fans aren't any different from any else. People who liked his music but thought he was an rear end in a top hat abandoned him a long time ago.

Music industry doesn't give a gently caress though. People memory-holed Eric Clapton being a racist.

I admit it has been like a decade since I last listened to Kanye but isn't his music complete poo poo these days?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Rappaport posted:

It's a shame USPol doesn't have the equivalent to the clancychat rule of the Ukraine war thread, it's pretty loving wild to read goon fanfic about how fusion plants are basically H-bombs waiting to go off.

I blame Spider-Man 2.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Data Graham posted:

They were just about going word-for-word already. Straight up had him do the "What would you say to people who are hurting and looking for answers?" "I'd say you are a terrible reporter, that's a terrible question" bit.

Only they somehow made it sound coherent and chastening in Homelander's mouth, instead of ridiculous and like he had no idea what was going on

The difference is that fiction writers still believe a demagogue needs to be a good speaker, handsome, charismatic, accomplished etc. to appeal to people like Republicans. Which is why they cast people who fill all those columns. When in reality pieces of poo poo like every Republican would go for a ball of sewer grease if someone attached enough loudspeakers broadcasting slurs at it.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

BRJurgis posted:

There's a few coworkers and others.i know who are laughing at Elon musk (appropriately), and the detractors are shaken. As much as this is big dumb spectacle, hope it helps shatter meritocracy thinking.

All the Musk fans around me are shut down or mocked. Shame works. Wink wink.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

BRJurgis posted:

The key isn't shame/hate (If that's still your thing), it's strength. Its pretty clear people live in different realities, and being right or wrong ain't worth much because everybody thinks they're right. Musk and trump, for example, are frequently shsmefully hilariously obviously wrong and it never slowed them down. What hurt them was looking weak, publicly being big losers. People respond to strength and power, and strength and power are what we need. Hate isn't necessary for strength. Being willing to talk to or yes even confront the people in your community is the kind of strength that wins more allies and respect.

Nah, the key to shutting them the gently caress up is pretty clearly shame and hate, for following a shameful and hateable person. How many allies and respect, if that is your goal, has your approach gained for you or people with your approach in America? My approach is pretty great in achieving the goal of shutting Elon Musk fans the gently caress up. But how are the hate-shamers doing with allies? Strength? More or less than yours?

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Dec 18, 2022

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

BRJurgis posted:

Yes, I remember the choreography of this number. You're not making Elon musk fans shut up, his obvious public failure is doing the work there. And then I explain to you that I have brought people around by doing the opposite of your strategy (talking to anybody who will listen, with a collaborative attitude). You say I haven't / cant. It seems nothing's changed between us regarding this argument.

Actually no, I usually ask you to determine who has more success in America, you or the haters, and you never answer. You didn't do so in this reply either, despite being given the opportunity. Want to try for the first time?

Gumball Gumption posted:

You really are one of the great and successful anti-fascists of our time. Thank you for your service fighting musk fans :lmao:

Even if we go with this and all I did against fascism is just making GBS threads on (presumably fascist?) Elon Musk fans in real life, it is still doing more against fascism and in condemning fascism, as opposed to the love and understanding for fascists that you so eagerly preach. An approach that has been repeatedly proven to be completely and utterly useless in doing anything against it, with your country as perhaps the most documented example of our times.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Shame and hate feel good to indulge in, and become addictive. Once that takes hold, any excuse is sufficient, reasoning can be made for any target. Victories are invented if necessary, because the point is blood and scalps, not progress.

So progress is never achieved by shaming and hating? An interesting hypothesis.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 18, 2022

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Sir Lemming posted:

At this point I am open to literally any course of action that might possibly break his spirit, because he's such an utterly strange human being that I have no idea what's gonna be the thing that does it. Just try everything and see what happens. Like somehow even the whole Twitter thing seems to have turned out pretty bad for him? Whatever. Let's go with it.

Yeah I'm not holding out hope for prison bars so I'm just going for maximum pain, no matter how petty. If they reveal something embarrassing about his habits and that crushes him, I'll loving take it

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

haveblue posted:

“do you work here?” is just to prompt them to ask you what you need. It’s better than walking up and barking out a demand as the first interaction

"Excuse me?" hasn't crossed the ocean yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Gyges posted:

Even if it "works", you're still pushing the Republicans further to the right. So congrats, you won by pushing a fascist message and kneecapping what little remains of the non flaming underwear on their head part of the party

There is no non-flaming underwear on their head part of the party. It's all lovely fascists, ground up, ground down.