Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Framboise posted:

Can someone explain to me why this loving matters? I'm so sick of hearing about it and how obsessed they are with it, but I've never heard an actual reason why anything on this laptop actually means anything regarding anything?

Is it just a petty desire for dirt against Biden?

it doesnt outside throwing red meat to the chuds and owning libs none of which matters to anyone outside the base(moderates/indies/liberals/progressives/etc) all the polls show that the uber MAGA/culture war poo poo is loving hated and the GOP that did well outside bright red areas were boring kasich types/vaguely socially liberal types. this poo poo will put the GOP in a dumber place for 24.

Nonsense posted:

The hope is Trump's presidential announcement actually spurred Garland to action rather than what he was doing before, so that is a hopeful appointment.

probably. Garland strikes me as someone who does realize how bad trump and this poo poo is and is taking this poo poo very carefully. i have enough interviews with him saying as much.

Ither posted:

While some members of the GOP are absolutely just using Hunter Biden as an attack, I'm starting to think there are a few who actually believe there's something there.

They're reminding me of a friend whose brain rotted and now parrots conspiracy theories.

Uber or Lyft?

i think a decent amount of the chuds legit believe the bullshit and think hunter is some grand admeral thrawn type communist crime lord and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

cr0y posted:

I think another goal of the hunter Biden laptop nonsense is to completely desensitize the average voter to the idea of investigations in general.

ehhh. i think that will backfire a bit because it will show, "hey dems do actual investigations and the GOP just rants about failsons and how trans kids should die"

BonoMan posted:

To nobody's surprise, Musk has stated he's going to reinstate Trump.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/19/business/twitter-musk-trump-reinstate/index.html

he already did.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/with_replies

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1594138816126017537

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Hamelekim posted:

Except that Hillary has institutional Republican hatred of her going back to the 90's. No one hates Biden, even Tucker brought this up on his show. It's hard to make anything stick. he's got a messed up son that he loves but doesn't know how to help. Lots of voters can relate.maybe things will change if the drag Hunter long enough but I'm doubtful.

its this. biden is boring but he got some good stuff done which made people happy enough, he also keeps out of the limelight until he needs to be in it like a tragedy or a big event or someshit and does what he needs, then he goes back to doing president poo poo. he is also extreamly empathetic which helps him. no one will care about hunter because hunter is just kinda of a sad gently caress up who does stupid poo poo but not really criminal poo poo and compared to the trump brothers he is boring.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

And nobody really "hates" the Bidens aside from derenged deep end C-SPAMers and deranged deep end right wingers, and one end of that horseshoe is a lot bigger than the other. Most normal people don't give a poo poo about Joe Biden beyond "Eh, he's okay" or "Eh, he sucks. Trying to explain to them why they should give a poo poo about what his private citizen son did or did not do with drugs and hookers and an oil company either makes you sound like some QAnon wacko, or, depending on your level of general empathy or irony, makes him sound either rad as poo poo or incredibly sad and makes you feel kinda sorry for him that he let his life get that off track.

I could easily see every normal news outlet treating the Hunter Biden Laptop Committee with the same level of interest as a subcommittee meeting on re-examining statue 847.A sub-paragraph 6, line 4 of the US Tax Code, which is to say I literally fell asleep trying to type that sentence.

i sorta think the house will try to make it a january 6th type prime time poo poo but only fox will go for it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Hopefully, Biden isn’t loved but he isn’t hated and chuds being the loud disruptive assholes in the room doesn’t help them at all. The gop is operating like it’s still the 80s where cultural conservatism was king and that the “silent majority” loves their theater. When it’s in fact the opposite.

PhazonLink posted:

baseless / tinhat idea.

The only reason Clinton had an entire hate machine created and aimed at her was she friendzoned a some college republicans and they used their incel rage to build decades long media machine to mess with her.

I can see some of it but I think a lot of it is that Clinton isn’t great with public facing politics at best and has picked enough dumb positions in here career that it’s hurt here appeal.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

I think you’re correct in that Musk realizes Twitter is completely, totally gently caress, but I doubt for a minute he thinks it’s his fault. I would imagine his view is that it’s the fault of the 95+% of the Twitter workforce that didn’t buy into his vision, and also all the people who spent $8 to verify fake accounts and poo poo post. He made a comment at one point about how he didn’t believe people would pay money to impersonate other people since it would just get them banned. Which is hilarious, since SA has a 20+ year history proving that there are plenty of people willing to shell out hundreds of dollars to just constantly poo poo post.

In other words,

Yeah, to me, deep deep down he knows it’s hosed but now he is just try to post through it and praying the chuds keep him afloat.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

i do like all the quislings who were fine with all this stuff finally being "brave" the second the think the lion is wounded enough, but even then most of them are too scared to politically finish him off, i feel like 24 is gonna be crowded again because a bunch of these chickenshits want to be the one that plants the political killing blow to trump and then will rat king themselves and lose.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Hillary pretty much crystallised as a 90s feminist icon and froze there, basically ending up as a nepotism case taken way too far because she went all-in on aspirational white feminism, hence her small but rabid following.

And there's no way Republicans are going to want to challenge Trump considering the 2016 primaries. That's career suicide.

i know my mom liked her because she helped push CHIP into being a thing and as a kid with "you would have been hosed if you had been born in the 80s" disease/syndromes, she is thankful for that. but yeah i agree with the posts. that being said, i dont care clinton, i dont think she is the evil hell witch or whatever, i just don't really like her one way or the other.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

it sounds like most of the election deniers still screaming are chuds like my uncle with no power OR AZ republican party.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

its top story of cnn and other places.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

It wasn't when I woke up and read the story from a local source.

What's the point of these posts other than to be petty and thread poo poo?

Colorado Springs can be a decent place but it has a higher population density of right wing crazy than is comfortable. Garden of the gods is a really nice hike, and there's some surprisingly good food downtown.

sorry, i didn't mean to be so dickish about that. i honestly didnt hear about it until this morining.

Push El Burrito posted:

My brother had substance abuse issues for years and just having unconditional love for a fuckup is part of that. They're family, they have problems, you hope you can help and you support them the best you can. The GOP demonizing that is monstrous just like when they demonized hospice care by calling them death panels.

i mean going after hunter about his drug issues is as dumb as the chuds laughing and going after fetterman about his stroke. it shows their hosed up cruelty and it doesn't do them any favors outside their hosed brained base.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

so some young chud got a bunch of light treatment from cops and then decided to murder a bunch of folks at gay club for whatever hosed up chud believes he thought about.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

The shooting reminded me of an article from earlier this year. Colorado Springs PD couldn't do anything about the shooter because they probably had their hands full infiltrating every homeless support group and vaguely leftist organization in town:

https://www.csindy.com/news/cspd-s-investigation-of-colorado-springs-leftist-community/article_c32e3e94-8e87-11ec-b79c-af375a716657.html

wouldnt be shocked. it also sounds like the shooter was a grandson of some local chud celebrity in California and got his record sealed after he did a couple bomb threats. its gonna turn out that he whined to grand dad and grandad told the pigs to gently caress off.

https://twitter.com/chadloder/status/1594467765351776256

https://twitter.com/chadloder/status/1594478553034158080

meanwhile the chuds on twitter are doing coy dickhead troll poo poo.
https://twitter.com/ErinInTheMorn/status/1594478599113003008

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

speaking of ethics. seems walker is just saying gently caress it and saying warknock assulted kids at youth camps.
https://mobile.twitter.com/patriottakes/status/1594751186338463752

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I'd guess either lame duck decision or in response to Biden saying Governors should pardon all weed possession charges.

Waiting for a lame duck in Oregon or waiting a month after Biden called for it both seem a little weird, though.

I’d be curious about if Shapiro does it in PA, he isn’t a super duper krasner progressive but I could see him doing it especially if the WH is encouraging it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Gyges posted:

Considering that this was a midterm under a Democratic President in poo poo economic conditions and with a massive effort by the media to lie about all the cities turning into Death Wish III, it's real good.

Basically the take away from the election is that a red wave would have hit, except the GOP picked a whole bunch of absolutely terrible candidates while driving away voters by not shutting the gently caress up about abortion, conspiracy theories, and hate. Part of why Florida was so disastrous is that neither Charlie Crist nor Val Demings provided any sort of contrast that would allow voters to vote on those issues. Charlie Crist is anti-abortion and Val Demings ran on being the coppest cop, neither made stopping the ghoulishness in anyway central to their campaign.

Now, Demings did do some pro abortion ads and did marginally better than Christ. However that wasn't the focus of the campaign and the Senate isn't really the battleground for reproductive rights. However if Charlie Crist is turning people away in droves, Val Demings did nothing to get them to come out and vote just for her. If Republicans want to vote for Republicans, and the national mood is that poo poo sucks but Republicans suck more, running your campaigns as Republican Lite isn't going to get you jack poo poo except blown the gently caress out.

New York got hosed because they ran the cycle like they were the inverse GOP. Abortion, conspiracy theories, and hate aren't viable antagonists for the voters on a state basis. So the Democrats got the full force of midterm headwinds, while running a bunch of terrible candidates who couldn't fight the well funded lie that crime is exploding like a super nova. Add in years of shooting themselves in the foot for the betterment of Cuomo, and it's actually kind of impressive they didn't fully implode.

i mean part of florida is also that plus other factors, 1. desantis hosed with poo poo so much its basicaly GOP easy mode now and 2. chuds from all over the country are moving in so they can live in chud paradise and poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Young Freud posted:

Would you happened to know where that's from? Because it appears the opposite is true: most shooters from Parkland on have seem to have plans to get away with it. Maybe it's fallout from the Kyle Rittenhouse trial, where they fully expect to get a jury to nullify their shooting or they expect to get support on the run from some right-wing underground like Eric Rudolph.

most of them are dumb sociopaths without a plan, rittenhouse was able to walk because he got the right jury and their was enough "it "could" have been self defence" that they couldnt convict mixed with the prosecutor probably over charging sadly(even if it was true)

anyway most of these shooters are hosed up psychos looking to die but want to be remembered and some are weird chuds and some are mixed of both.

there is a good video on the parkland dickhead interrogation tape and how he very clearly pretended to be mentally ill, but most of those are just "oooh i see daemons" or "im da joker baby" type bullshit. they show a case of a genuinly uber mentally ill killer and its loving creepy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mwt35SEeR9w

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 25, 2022

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Gumball Gumption posted:

Rittenhouse is also an exception to your average shooter. He showed up to a riot with a gun looking for violence which is very different behavior from your average American shooter. The Parkland shooter didn't get away because they had a plan, they got away because their gun jammed and then no one confronted them so they kind of just left.

Honestly this is the best way to put it

The majority of them are psychos looking to commit an extended suicide with as many victims as they can, some of those use politics as an answer to why but it doesn't really matter it's just a thing they latched onto and instead they would have something else. And finally there is the rarest group where the shooter sees this as part of a bigger struggle but most of those guys are hanging out in the woods doing militia drills right now.

i believe he either hid the gun or tossed it and then changed shirts and walked out with the crowed and snuck off.

https://twitter.com/AboutChesapeake/status/1596141677508710403

anyway they released the walmart manager shooters notes on his phone.
he sounds like a dickhead channer who managed to become a dickhead manager.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

yeah, i think he wins it but it will be squeaker because some lobyists think they can bribe him or some poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Gumball Gumption posted:

It honestly makes sense politically for them to get on board. They get to flank Biden from the left and what do they lose? Nothing. They're not going to chase away the racists by helping blue collar workers in something that can easily be spun as David vs Goliath.

they also also look good doing some bipartisan action too. hopefully bernie can make it work and pulls it off.

yeah. good. it shouldnt be a big ask.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

pencilhands posted:

drat I would love to be a train conductor. I already work a job where I travel all the time and have no life so I think I could handle it. Gonna file this away in the back of the noggin to think about later.

Before someone gets mad I am not implying I will be a scab.

id go for it(not for scabbing, gently caress that poo poo), but doubt i could get it with my disabilities.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Gatts posted:

Biden is probably thinking 2024 and if there is no Christmas the blame is on the Dems.

It’s definitely partly that. Though I think a bunch of it just economy is super loving delicate right now still and with poo poo going on overseas, both Ukraine and now China locking down/protests, the feds don’t want to risk the economy with a major strike especially before the holidays. A lot more people’s livelihoods are riding on this then just the workers sadly.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Zeron posted:

I'm doubtful the unions will organize or support a wide scale wildcat strike. On the other hand, the labour situation seems precarious enough that even a small portion of the pissed off workers striking could destabilize everything. If nothing else, workers will continue to exit the industry or retire until something changes. This contract expires in 2024, it's been in negotiation since 2019. So negotiations will start back up relatively soon.

i think if the vote had been 80 to 20 strike, we would probably a bunch of wildcat strikes, but it wasnt. it was like 60 40 to take the deal and parts of the 40 were divided. if they still go through with it, i dont blame them.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Rigel posted:

Biden is taking a bold stance against Nazis.

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1598714500286406657

I mean with how fast twitter is imploding and how kanye is being boosted by chuds who is In turn boosting fucks like nick Fuentes and how Elon will let them run ramps and the gop will just defend them or excuse them, someone needed to say it again.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Cabbit posted:

I really thought Trump calling for the US Constitution to be torn up pursuant to him being reinstalled as president would have been a bigger topic of discussion.

https://twitter.com/ArthurDelaneyHP/status/1599076564372967424

its because he is stewing in his own poo poo, probably literally. everything since the election has gone bad for him and he hosed up with his big gambles in the midterms bad enough that a bunch of the GOP are looking for some new ghoul who will say his poo poo nicer or focus or hurting trans kids more or some poo poo. anyway, now he basicaly has to stick on his super echo chamber and crack ping brain super loving hard with the purist chud bullshit so now you mostly just get this stuff now.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Dec 4, 2022

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Latest update says this was a more carefully planned attack than just them going out and shooting random transformers at power stations:

I think what worries me is if this is just preliminary strike for something worse.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Meatball posted:

Not this time.

If the perpetrators get off with a slap on the wrist, (considering they're calling this "vandalism" that's a solid maybe), then the next attack will knock out power and they follow up with something else.

Fascists will keep escalating and im not sure where it ends; and as long as everyone treats them with kid gloves and calls the terrorists attacks they do "vandalism", it will escalate quickly.

Edit: it probably ends in pogroms, apartheid by law, or death camps

I mean this group is probably hosed since this will bring in federal type offices and they won’t just slap the fascists on their hands like officer dirk killblacks of the local PD. Critical infrastructure is an actual big deal.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Nucleic Acids posted:

And the simpler answer is still domestic white supremacists who jerk off to the Turner Diaries shot up those substations.

this. i think it was just a organazied group of chuds. either with that crazy lady or not. i doubt its the russians.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Something something Al Capone and tax evasion.

its actually more complicated then that but yeah sorta. capone was very trump like and was a big narsstic dickhead who loved to gently caress around with the media and bitch and whine about how people were persecuting him and poo poo, other mobsters started to hate him because he brought way way to much heat and national press, espcially after saint valentines day, the tax stuff was a plan b when other stuff fell though or had issues during a trial and Capone hosed up because he had the brain a child because syphisis.

https://www.amazon.com/Scarface-Unt...la-763547361516

good book on it.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Dec 7, 2022

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

PeterWeller posted:

An important point: Capone was an utter moron prior to syphilis rotting his brain. That's why he never got his syphilis examined or treated.

yeah, he was a very talented thug and a scary bruiser who got lucky and fell upward to an extent. after he went to jail, the crime family just went back to what they were doing but quieter and no one cared anymore.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Trump released his 2024 America First policy agenda.

A lot of it is just repeats from 2016, but here's the highlights:

- Move the FBI and IRS headquarters out of D.C. and to a state with cheaper real estate.

- Eliminate the federal employee union.

- Mandatory national voter ID and other voting restrictions.

- Allow certain "extremists" into the U.S. military (seriously).

- Mandatory death sentence for convicted drug dealers and human traffickers.

- Build the border wall.

- Open all federal lands to drilling.

- Repeal Obamacare, subsidize non-profits, businesses, and religious groups to provide community health care plans like Farm Bureaus and faith co-ops, issue waivers to allow states to determine what qualifies as "essential coverage" on health insurance, and broaden the ability for states to determine Medicaid eligibility.

- Implement a national school voucher plan.

- Mandate that schools and teachers share all curriculum, educational standards, and lesson plans with all current and prospective parents in a timely and user-friendly manner.

- Create efficient processes by which parents can challenge materials that are age-inappropriate or otherwise unsuitable for public school classrooms.

- Advocate for Teaching the Truth About America’s History

- Ensure no current or future policies link federal education funding to the teaching of revisionist history, bigotry, or any other dishonest teaching.

- Ensure that public schools teach core texts in American political development—including the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution of the United States, the Emancipation Proclamation, and others—and that students demonstrate basic civic literacy as a condition of graduation.

- Ensure that no child in public school be compelled or directed to adopt or express belief in or support for bigotry or a revisionist history of America’s founding.

- Restore the Rule of Law by prioritizing aggressive enforcement of existing criminal laws and strict interpretation of those laws.

- Declare Antifa a domestic terrorist organization because its goal is to destroy our constitutional government through violence.

- Carry out a nationwide crackdown on theft and violent crime through strong penalties and strong prosecution.

- Protect the victims of crime through victim’s assistance programs, such as local domestic violence shelters, child advocacy centers, rape crisis centers, homicide support groups, and elder abuse programs at the state and federal level.

- Promote Respect for Law Enforcement

- Support enhanced penalties for assaults on law enforcement officers, especially assaults on officers when they are performing their duties.

- Support increases in pay for law enforcement officers.

- Prioritize supplemental funding for small and rural law enforcement agencies that are often under-resourced.

- Support a constitutional amendment to implement term limits for congress.

- Implement a lifetime ban on lobbying for federal employees.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1600939773178351641

so its a bunch of generic right wing poo poo mixed with dumb brain worms that trump and other fascist dipshits like. also still wanting to repeal obamacare. Its not just the massagers the U40 and suburbs dislike, its that the messages suck poo poo too.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

Did in March at least. No word since.

she probably forgot about it and its like either living with someone else or like a skeleton by a bowl.

Judgy Fucker posted:

Jesus loving Christ, for those who don't want to bother clicking through to the transcript:

Emphases and brackets mine

i mean id have had to hear it on video but holy gently caress.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Trump launched his campaign over 3 weeks ago and has been completely radio silent with no major events since then.

He finally made a public statement and is holding a press conference tomorrow. Time to start the wild speculation.

I think the most likely scenario is that he is just looking for attention for something minor. Still unclear why he decided to announce his campaign so earlier and then refuse to go out in public for nearly a month right after you do.

https://twitter.com/ShelbyTalcott/status/1603057785901617154

its either dumb president run poo poo/maybe Vp or he is running for speaker.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

MadJackal posted:

It’s so enjoyable seeing the line where even his own diehards realize the grift.

I honestly believe this and the boring re-election announcement are an inflection point where his primary numbers nosedive and DeSantis starts flexing his moronic grassroot support.

i think alot of them were fine being lied as long as trump was saying the right things and making enough noise that allowed them to believe in their Qanon fanfiction but now both of those things made him look weak and crooked and a bunch of them would rather have desantis who is actually hurting people.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You know like how the Sinfest guy went from merely radlib terf to full chud literally the week he got on twitter and started getting criticism from from women he couldn't deny

Things happen to these kind of people who have their carefully maintained bubble suddenly breached and their worldview built around it shattered

yeah, though going from uber sex negative type of feminist to terf to chud isnt that many leaps to begin with. morality police types like him of any stripe usually end up going full chud at some point.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

i mean its true. lowtax was awful but SA is basically one of the last standing forum websites and has a realtivly dedicated base and culture and was able to live past him. elon is just lyle lanley but way way dumber.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Data Graham posted:

The conversation has moved on but I'd like to say something as one of those computer touchers who has a stake of some kind in having predicted Twitter's collapse by now.

I want to understand why it hasn't.

Every software system has similarities with others, but all systems are also very different in many ways. Some systems have good CI/CD pipelines and redundancy that keep them alive as load increases or during catastrophic failures for example, and some don't. From outside we don't know whether Twitter is a well-run and well-designed system or a terrible one, until we see how it responds to breakage and outages. It's a "black box" in that way, meaning that the only way we find out information about the system is by poking it and seeing how it reacts. Without that experimental information all we have is "this is what it looks like when it's working", which tells us very little about its underlying structure or resiliency.

So yes, it seemed obvious to a lot of software type people that Twitter would crash and burn very quickly, and the fact that it hasn't (which is arguable, because things definitely have degraded, just in weird ways that we didn't really predict, like trending topics being full of garbage or crypto scam bots overrunning DMs, which is also a piece of interesting information) is perplexing. It seems like a failure of that prediction and a case of developers showing their collective asses. But only if you choose to see it that way. Now, I'm hardly an uninterested party here; but I would argue that what we're finding out about how Twitter is responding to Elon's meddling is telling us a ton of stuff about the system's structure and preexisting safeguards, i.e. just how well-built it actually was before he ever got involved.

Seeing each new "feature" he's rolled out also tells us something new. In particular what it tells me is that there are only certain kinds of "features" that he's even capable of rolling out; and those features seem to be little more than twiddling knobs on an admin panel, mucking with settings that already were there and developed as features for admins to use years ago. He's turning off whole subsystems and cranking up others. But there isn't anything substantive he's actually created from whole cloth. He's changed the color of some of the checkmarks and adjusted some text here and there and removed the device identification from tweets and so on, but those are CMS changes — i.e. not even "software" changes per se, really just tweaking templates and modifying data in a database. These changes don't require actual development effort or successful pipeline pushes to production, which I would still be very surprised to find out they're capable of doing anymore with the remaining skeleton crew.

I would argue that all Elon's able to do really is gently caress around with settings and make stylesheet changes, probably not properly using the CI/CD infrastructure, maybe even doing whatever the equivalent is in Twitter's system of manually editing files in production. Which you can get away with for a long time. It just makes it increasingly impossible to maintain or get back under any kind of control. All the resiliency Twitter's engineers had built up is being tested and chipped away at, like a Jenga tower, and eventually the right block will get pulled out and the whole thing will collapse. And each new button or knob that gets tweaked tells us more about what the Jenga tower actually looks like, how sturdy it is.

To try to summarize all this, I would liken Twitter to Something Awful, which as we all know has hobbled along for decades on a patchwork of terrible Radium code, and yet has somehow managed to be one of the most resilient sites around. Any developer who's ever drawn a paycheck would look at SA and immediately predict that it would implode as soon as you looked away from it. But they'd be wrong. That doesn't mean they don't know what they're talking about, or that SA isn't on track to self-destruct without some serious rework by astral and pay-down of 20 years of tech debt. It doesn't mean Radium is some kind of savant genius god who ought to be given credit for having built one heck of an edifice. Quite the opposite. It's difficult to express why that is, in lay terms, but that's what is going on here in the case of Twitter too.

Not that kind of computer toucher(call center poo poo for state) but i suspect its because its just big and has enough failsafes that its kinda just keeps going through inertia.

like i doubt it will ever CRASH crash but my guess is the more stupid unpopular poo poo musk. the more folks will leave. the thing is now trumps pissing off the people who keep twitter active, content creators. artists, porn, etc with his stupid "don't post links to other sites" poo poo. i could see alot of them packing up and moving to different places.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Dec 19, 2022

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

Speaking of Sinema

https://twitter.com/sambrodey/status/1605926666110259200?s=46&t=ikdfk1jlYAL8x-VOpI-2aQ

Lots of the usual stuff about her abusing low level staff. This one is funny.

christ, what a piece of poo poo. i am so glad i have fetterman and casey as senators because they actually mostly a give a poo poo and do good.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

so here is my question. whats the internal process in his mind for this. like its fine for me to be a heavy handed theocrat but i can steal and probably worse all i want. i know the answer is "dickhead" but that poo poo bothers me. i mean it goes back to my facination with theocrats in general i guess.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Archonex posted:

I'm of the opinion that it's some form of sociopathy or narcissism, possibly malignant in nature. Like, it's a common pattern with these assholes on the Republican end. Especially when they publicly flame out and have extremely online social habits.

You can see a pattern from them acting like bit rate supervillains with their whole "the godless libs will suffer at my hands, along with all their puny little minorities too!" act until they begin to reap what they sow from normal empathic people becoming aware of how loving awful they are. Which eventually leads to the pressure to lash out building up as they get push back that slanders their preceived greatness or ability to keep advancing at the expense of others.

When the metaphorical valve blows it prompts a reaction along the lines of "I ran my mouth and now people loathe the idea of my continued existence. Clearly this is a conspiracy against me and I am innocent and cleared of all charges of the things I have in fact actually done." to come out of their collective posting or social habits. Which itself inevitably leads to some sort of spectacular meltdown when the pressure to not be such a poo poo stain doesn't stop there. Which in turn tends to either lead to them dropping out of the political or news sphere entirely to focus on other get rich/affirmation quick schemes or alternatively a meltdown that disowns them from their job only for the Fox News/right wing grifting machine to see an opportunity to keep their voice active (again, another self interested group that promotes bigotry and division for their own gain amongst the Republicans.) and then offering them a comfort shield/financial fallback to keep loving up the discourse for the gain of wealthier malignant personalities.

Before Trump and the tea party came along (With some attendant exceptions. The leadership of the federalist society pushing fringe wackjobs to destabilize the government comes to mind, along with the VP of it which is the head of a christian hate group known as the Heritage Foundation or something like that.) these assholes had to be quieter about their openly harmful intentions. But Trump threw open the floodgates to letting bastards run openly without fear of persecution from the base by showing them a playbook they could use. Which combined with the Republicans collaborating with poisonous organizations like Fox News until Fox News gained the influence to set the agenda over the party's will ended up being a one-two knockout punch for any decency left in the Republican party in the present day.

And to be clear, the Republicans were infested with guys like this even prior to all of that happening. It's why i'm a firm believer that the only way to get the Republican party to course correct is to force them to do it by whatever means since you can't make someone with a pathological lack of care for other human beings give a gently caress about doing the right thing if it means they see a way to hurt others to get ahead or achieve their own self gratification.

yeah, these guys have been in the GOP for ages, though more openly so with nixon and reagan. now you have at least 2 generations of chuds fully raised on fox bullshit. so you dont have the smart ghouls who kept poo poo quiet and just pushed "quiet" poo poo because that doesnt win primaries.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

He'd burned pretty much all his bridges with the local and state GOP machines. He fabricated false sexual assault accusations against a Democrat who was running against his buddy, and when the scheme unraveled, he tried to fabricate evidence to pin all the blame on local and state GOP figures he didn't like. When that unraveled too (one of his co-conspirators recorded the meetings where they discussed who to frame and how to fake the evidence), he had basically no backers left in the Kansas GOP.

Given all that, it's perhaps not shocking that he became extremely interested in culture war issues around that time. With most of the Kansas Republican Party absolutely furious at him, his only hope for holding onto the seat was to desperately pander to the base. Although he'd previously shown little interest in social issues, he was suddenly very interested in introducing bills about religion in schools, trans sports in schools, and so on.

yeah thats sociopathy. he doesn't believe in poo poo outside himself/general bigotries and probably some other bullshit.

i'll wait until an indictment happens on deeper into 2023 but i wouldnt be fully shocked if people are done with him. his big revival was poo poo and january 6th and the committee and other incidents have poisoned him with moderates and normies. That being said, kushner and sununu always hated him or were willing to stab him in the back.

personally i don't think DeSantis is a great a choice as the GOP hopes he is. he is way to0 openly socially conservative and he comes off as angry bully with no charisma but not the "fun" 80s dickhead kind trump was. he reminds me of scott walker but maga. I also think trump can gently caress over desantis in either the primary or the general but who knows. i thought it was gonna be clinton vs bush.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

I’ll believe the GOP is abandoning Trump only when it happens

I do think it’s more likely now than it was a year ago, but I think it’s still more likely than not Trump wins the primary

yeah. i am more curious about when the GOP takes the house and starts being stupid and crazy. either way, i do think the GOP is internally fractured more then people act and trump and chaos house will make that worse. The GOP got their asses kicked in a favorable midterm with low turn out and are doubling down with the poo poo people hated, 24 is gonna be nuts.