Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Laterite posted:

Here's an NPR article as well, but, yes.

In a reversal, the Education Dept. is excluding millions from student loan relief

Bait and switching ~4 million prospective voters at the cusp of a midterm election which is already shaping up to be a disaster seems unwise to me, but I'm no big brain Democratic consultant or administration official.

In at least one of the articles on this it's later clarified that 800k would potentially be affected by this (assuming that each and every one of those people had not already consolidated their otherwise-ineligible loans), not 4 million, which is a little better.

The bigger problem here is how incredibly confusing and convoluted this whole thing is. Everything else about student loans is, though, so I guess I can't expect forgiveness of them to be different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Kalit posted:

It's probably a large part of the reason why Sanders' campaign in 2016 was so popular and didn't flop like Kucinich's 2008 campaign/etc :shrug:

You mean Howard Dean. Kucinich flopped because he's not exactly charismatic (especially compared to Obama, Edwards, even Clinton), and because :evil: was already taking the role of Internet Candidate. Dean had that in 2004 but 2004 internet lacked the penetration to carry a campaign. In 08/12 Ron Paul got far more votes than he otherwise would have thanks to social media presence/spam. His campaign failed because he was Ron Paul and not because his message failed to reach people.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Staluigi posted:

Hasidic communities, especially recently with the new york area courts, are vehemently insular and so strictly observant that the majority of their practices are intentionally isolating. The leadership has doubled down on intentional isolation from the perverse secular world by banning internet access, cellphones, and any non-religious books from family homes. Men have to devote so much of their waking hours to religious study that they almost can't do anything else. Women are put under practically medieval restrictions and obligations as servants to their husband and have to pump out kids endlessly while handling all domestic tasks AND have to do a lot of the money earning so the father can stay doing endless religious study AND have a bunch of rules enforced on them to make them as invisible as possible AND have to follow a bunch of rules that make the mundane domestic tasks very time consuming. Kids get beaten like It's going out of style. Poverty is rampant because of the religious obligations mentioned above. Married women are frequently in need of very complex escape and sheltering needs, because leaving marriage is something that gets discouraged in nearly all cases, including ones with substantial abuse, and divorce is heavily shamed. So a lot of the women who leave are fully and vehemently cut off from support in the only community they've learned to survive in (by designed isolation). Marriages are usually arranged and happen as early as possible, and the hasidic community was one of the most strongly opposed to be laws banning child marriage.

The level of isolation/treatment of women differs greatly between Hasidic sects. Chabadniks/Lubavitchers send their kids to ordinary colleges, use the internet/social media and interact frequently with the secular world. I have a Lubavicher aunt, granted she's baal teshuvah (grew up in a secular family and became more religious over time) so had received a full education herself but she's a public school teacher and managed to raise their nine children in between the two worlds, with some going to college (one to a PhD) and others pursuing trades or other work within the community. Satmars are the most extreme, they have the most stringent codes on modesty and try to keep totally separate and out of view of the outside world.

For anyone interested in this I strongly recommend Frieda Vizel's blog and youtube channel, she is an ex-Hasid who does tours of Boro Park and Williamsburg (it sounds weird, but it's no different than tours of Amish country) and has a ton of insight into the idiosyncracies of everyday life within Brooklyn's Hasidic communities.
https://friedavizel.com/blog/
She has an interesting perspective on the issue, basically agreeing with the overarching point but says that government interference is going to make the community fight harder against change and hurt the preexisting movement for change because it reinforces the message of government as the enemy trying to take X thing awayhttps://friedavizel.com/2022/09/13/thoughts-on-the-nyt-expose-on-hasidic-education/
I do disagree with her point about the Hasidic economy as an acceptable alternative to higher education, I think she paints too rosy a picture and is downplaying how many families are living in poverty.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

azflyboy posted:

Does Connecticut have a law similar to the Texas one that caps what the families can actually be awarded, or is he (theoretically) on the hook for the entire $1 billion if the amount doesn't change on appeal?

That is a Texas-specific law enacted by Abbott to be an rear end in a top hat and pull the ladder up after himself after he got his big cash damages.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Taco Bell is good at brand twitter have they commented on this important issue?

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Fart Amplifier posted:

That's not the only thing that makes sense. Anything could be national security that he could be scheduling a press conference about.

Taking bets on "one or more senators is actually a killer robot in a human suit" vs. "Joe Biden misplaced the nuclear football if anyone finds it please call 202-647-6575"

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

When does the re-Trumpening of Twitter happen? Sure was a nice time without him for a while.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

There are thousands upon thousands of men (always men) exactly like this on social media. They're the base of the Republican Party.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

ManBoyChef posted:

The Supreme court has been illegitimate since George W Bush was president. Nothing we do now beyond impeaching and replacing the justices he installed as well as the justices McConnel blocked will change that. It is deeply disturbing that we have a court that is pretty much legislating from the bench and they are unelected as well as the fact they are going against the will of the plurality of the people.

The Constitution needs to be fixed up for the 21st century. Originalism is just so freaking stupid.

Technically the Supreme Court has been illegitimate since the notorious Half-Breed RutherFRAUD B. Hayes appointed two justices.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Gatts posted:

What will the vacuum of a Twitterless media/social-verse create in its absence to take its place?

Comedy option: Mastodon (they apparently got >70k new members in the last week due to Elon's bullshit)

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Honestly, the team of people who are enabling him, creating Jew lists for him, arranging the NDAs and settlements, and working with media companies to prevent his rants and abuse from going public are basically putting in an incredible amount of work to get money from a messed up person.

Having bi-polar doesn't make you lose all free will and Kanye is obviously responsible for himself, but it seems like a huge group of people are enabling a really bad lifestyle and abuse of people who work for him just to stay employed.

I'm kind of amazed that they have been able to keep a lid on all this stuff for almost half a decade given how prolific Kanye is with his public statements. The Pentagon Papers didn't even stay secret for that long.

Well, there was one person who said something long before anyone else
https://twitter.com/Pink/status/3967674746

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

BRJurgis posted:

Even knowing both the antisemitic bent of online conspiracy theorists / alt-right folks, and Kanyes obvious instability, I still would have assumed this was just a detached celebrity pulling the "no bad publicity" thing trump and musk have so much... "success" with. A cynical move to get attention and tap a demographic.

Apparently I'd be wrong and dudes full on anti-semite shitheel bought in on a global jewspiracy.

I've met people who should know better defending Kanye (supposedly based on appreciating him as a musician), I wonder what they'll make of this. Also I sure hope such a prominent celebrity going all in on this poo poo isn't used to clamp down on the web in some way, much as I worry about jan 6 and the Pelosi assault helping ramp up a police state that the right already screams for.

Imagine both sides of the aisle in a race to "defend freedom" by increasing a police and surveillance state.

It... shouldn't be hard, actually.

The opposite seems to be happening, with Musk taking Kanye's side and people like Kyrie Irving broadcasting their own anti-semitism to legions of fans who are now loving everywhere on tiktok and twitter going unchecked.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Failed Imagineer posted:

Ye has been best buds with Candace Owens for years now, can't say I find the anti-Semitic stuff too surprising in that context

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar made note of this in a substack post today

quote:

Kareem Note: The problem of antisemitism is much bigger than Irving or Ye. They are merely the unwitting spokesperson for the right-wing political movement that is blatantly taking over the GOP. (For the full story, read “Jewish leaders call on GOP candidates to reject antisemitic comments”). Many Republican candidates running for some of the most powerful positions in their states and in the country—such as Pennsylvania’s GOP gubernatorial nominee Doug Mastriano—feel perfectly free to publicly spout antisemitic statements without fear of reprisal from their own party or the voters. That should be a very troubling sign for all marginalized groups because fascists always start by demonizing one group—right before they go after the others.

"The Jews control the world" has been right-wing mainstream belief for several years now. They're just starting to not bother hiding it behind "globalists" and "Soros" anymore. Kanye's a MAGA-hat-wearing Republican, and the connection to hotep "Blacks are the real Jews" nonsense just adds more appeal to him.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

She mentioned a bunch of Dem candidates she would vote for (Val Demings, Stacy Abrams, Beto O'Rourke, among others) at the event. I don't know if she has as much clout now as in 2008 when her endorsement gave Obama a significant boost, but I guess it doesn't hurt.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Main Paineframe posted:

The new owner of Twitter is dispensing voting advice now.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1589639376186724354

Not really unexpected, but still funny as hell. Frankly, I'm surprised he didn't just spout a Qanon screed instead, given his recent activities.

I feel like a Musk endorsement actually hurts the Republicans at this point lol. Everyone except for Musk's weird fanboys hate him, even the chuds hate him for not giving Trump's account back yet.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Saw this posted earlier in the Midterms thread. Which is obviously not a confirmation or anything but Swan/Axios ain't nobody.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jonathanvswan/status/1589647876149645312

Or it's just a ploy to make people watch his dumb rally, since everyone not in his cult has lost interest otherwise.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Trump gives the date he will (most likely) make it official:

https://twitter.com/samstein/status/1589817215418859521

Edit: Slightly beaten!

He's gonna string everyone along again and just announce his own new book.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

FlamingLiberal posted:

Musk is essentially just Lowtax with money

except SA was actually profitable even with Lowtax at the helm (he just claimed it wasn't so he could get cookie money)

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

DeSantis using his weather machine to go after Trump.

https://twitter.com/capitalweather/status/1590469987806109696

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

God punishing Florida for its election sins.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

You forgot this banger
https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1590904325169369088

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Heard rumblings that Governor BIG JIM Justice might be interested in Manchin's seat. He is a living caricature of a 19th century coal magnate but he'd be a shoe-in for Senator if he runs. On the other hand he is old, and fat, and probably 40% coal dust and industrial chemicals by volume, so the WV GOP might just opt for someone more likely to survive through their full term.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The fact that Fox News and CNN both cut out halfway through the speech isn't a great sign for Donnie keeping the spotlight on every word he speaks like in 2015-16. He's old news.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

https://twitter.com/HouseGOP/status/1593258060771827713

I think this is supposed to be about Hunter Biden? It just sounds like the House Republicans are impressed by Joe's superior size and physique though.

edit: so this is really the messaging they're going with, huh
https://twitter.com/HouseGOP/status/1593253229747265545

Youth Decay fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Nov 17, 2022

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

BonoMan posted:

Can't wait for the "what is Pelosi hiding?!?!" Hot takes now that she's stepping aside.

Jesus this poo poo is so insufferable. And it won't convince anyone of anything. Everyone that supports these hearings will interpret everything, no matter the reality, to mean "guilty."

I feel like "people are trying to kill me and they came close to killing my husband" is a perfectly valid reason to step away from the political spotlight, along with being old as hell.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Make Hillary Clinton the special counsel. She advised the House Judiciary Committee during Watergate so she has experience and she's very familiar with procedures around classified documents :v:

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Main Paineframe posted:

Trump doesn't really need a Twitter account. Reporters, superfans, and incredibly mad liberals will happily copy every Truth Social post he makes over to Twitter anyway. Moreover, him not being on Twitter drives those mad libs to go log into Truth Social regularly (and see ads in the process, putting money into his pockets) just so they can watch Trump tweets.

Musk being openly desperate to get Trump tweeting again as his own fortunes have declined tells the whole story. Musk needs Trump way more than Trump needs Twitter.

Trump posts sooo much more on his site than any libs are reposting on twitter lol. Those long text diatribes are sandwiched in between dozens of memes and one word shitposts.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

stop arguing and look at this vague bullshit our Governor shat out. Couldn't bring himself to use the word "shooting" or even "killing" or "deaths" or "victims". Coward.
https://twitter.com/GovernorVA/status/1595375949759262720

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

He's just doing some weird publicity/martyrdom stunt.

A majority of the RNC voters have already endorsed Ronna McDaniel. There is no indication that he has any real support.

Trump's endorsed him, naturally. Trump will probably throw a hissy fit and accuse everyone of being disloyal to him, which he probably would do anyway but the Lindell factor makes it funnier.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Rigel posted:

Bernie Sanders is trying to pull off a miracle. Would be amazing if he could rally the GOP against Biden on this one issue.

https://twitter.com/NancyVu99/status/1597716142235140097

This might actually be the only way to get the railroads to actually agree to give them the loving sick days. The unity of messaging on the part of Senators in favor of the workers is encouraging. I don't think Biden is playing reverse psychology bad cop on purpose, I just think he's poo poo scared of capital leaving him out to dry, but if (major if) it ends up working out it'll be another "Biden stumbles into a good thing happening" moment.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Jaxyon posted:

So Kanye west is currently doin an interview on Info Wars and he's boosting Hitler and being so openly antisemitic that Alex Jones is pushing back on it.

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1598367806348996608?s=46&t=coHgngWm7ouue0VeDa8m3Q

The House Judiciary GOP twitter finally took down this tweet

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

D.C. revealed a new transit plan that was developed by transit advocates.

It makes buses that operate entirely within completely free for all riders and gives D.C. residents $100 per month to use on the metro and buses that leave the district.

It will be the first major city in the U.S. that makes its bus service totally free for all riders.

Unfortunately, there was also a zoning and building height restriction provision to allow more housing originally part of the walkable cities package and - as usual - resistance from local homeowners who were concerned about reducing black homeowner's wealth and increased traffic got it sidelined.

https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1598340471255957511

Richmond Virginia doesn't count as a major city I guess but we've had free fare for the past two years. To be honest the quality/reliability of service has gone way down in that time but I'd pin that on the continued shortage of drivers that's happening in every city.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The interview is completely wild.

Kanye: I love Jews, but I also love Nazis.

Jones: There is a Jewish cabal, but many Jews are not involved. I think most of them are great people.

Kanye: No, it's a blood thing. They are all involved. Almost all of them.

Kanye also keeps using Jews/Zionists/Pedophiles interchangeably. Alex Jones, of all people, is trying to explain that there are non-Jewish Zionists and non-Jewish pedophiles.

Kanye: I love Jews, but I love them like an enemy. I admire what the Zionists have been able to accomplish, but the pedophiles are not going good things and the Zionist faith is demanding the kids.

It's kind of depressing that Kanye is sort of mainstreaming this and has some defenders, but I think it might actually be better if he just is allowed to give interviews unedited and for an unlimited time. Hopefully, he will have even fewer defenders afterwards.
I don't think there's any good in that tbh, his fans hang on every word he's saying and will just repeat it even further. We really don't need anti-semitism crowding the airwaves any more than it already is.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Can Bernie gently caress their poo poo up now?

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Mischievous Mink posted:

As an asexual goon I'd love to not see that awful podcast tied to these forums because those people think asexual people being raped is a funny joke;

Alice just tweets every random thought that comes into her brain and has been canceled about 20 times over for various tweets but I honestly can't be bothered to be bothered by them. She's funny and a good podcaster and that's it.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Verus posted:

Israel is an apartheid nation and should be an international pariah state.

Yes. And Biden making a statement denouncing anti-semitism isn't a secret message about supporting the Israeli state, which is what Elephant Ambush was implying.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Rigel posted:

She is in Arizona, which is all that matters. Manchin is immune to getting primaried (and immune to national pressure) specifically because the WV Dems love him. Sinema failed to ensure that she would win a primary at home, or just carelessly assumed people would calm down over time. They didn't, she now apparently has concluded that she will get primaried, so she's doing.... well whatever she ends up doing. I'm hoping she goes away in 2024 and just accepts whatever bag of money she can get as a lobbyist or something.

WV Dems don't really love Manchin - many of them fall to his left - they just recognize he's the last Democrat capable of winning the seat.

Manchin seems to be a little smarter about how he does his maverick shtick. I've seen fawning press on him from various conservative outlets, portraying him as the guardian against the woke anarcho-bidenist far left, that I don't see for Sinema.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Last city-owned Confederate statue in Richmond is getting taken down Monday. Good riddance to AP Hill. His body and statue was moved from Hollywood Cemetery in the 1920s as a sales tactic for the new Northside neighborhood ("look how white we are"). His descendants are still trying to delay poo poo with appeals but gently caress 'em.
https://www.nbc12.com/2022/12/09/ap-hill-statue-removal-start-monday/

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

aBagorn posted:

The NYT just put out a piece that said that he had been ill for part of his time covering the World Cup:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/09/sports/soccer/grant-wahl-dead.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

On his podcast he mentioned he had suddenly gotten bronchitis/chest discomfort and had went to a local medical center for it. There are a number of poisons that can cause similar symptoms.

Youth Decay fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Dec 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Zero_Grade posted:

I hope Barbara Lee wins, she rules (only Congressperson to vote against the Iraq war, and her reasons for doing so turned out to be 100% correct). She'd be a great voice to have in the Senate, it's a shame she's in her mid-70s.

Katie Porter would be my pick, besides her being cool and good I'd rather the Dems not play actuarial table roulette with any more senate seats than they have to.