Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

any Florida goons? I love how all the attack ads against Val Demmings paint her as dangerously radical. Its amusing how most of the ads are written for people that live in The Villages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

PhazonLink posted:

some what related reminds me of the cult hobbies of stonks and buttcoin poo poo. life sucks and people just burn money hoping the fairy tale of a golden ticket is real.

(oh and they lean into some bad gambling mindsets and dont know they should literally always cash out when they get more than they burned/spent or STOP when you start to lose )

the grind mindset is also pretty bad for this as well as the gig economy being pretty terrible for having reliable hours to plan anything with anyone.

As corporations become bigger and more powerful and they create even more dystopian situations for people it becomes hard to really connect with people.

When it comes to Haiti. They do need some form of military support. There are no two ways around it. Is it prudent for the US to do this? I honestly don't know. Considering how they used private military contractors that caused serious problems in Afghanistan and Iraq because of how we try to privitize everything I don't see them doing things differently in Haiti. I may be wrong though.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

I don't know if nothing is an option at this point when the lives of so many people are on the line. Is there a decent estimate of how much of the country will actually follow Henry?

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

What do you folks think of the "voter fraud" investigations and arrests happening in Florida right now?

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Main Paineframe posted:

It's not polled very often, since it's rarely a significant political issue. But when it does come as a political issue, voters are pretty consistently skeptical of debt ceiling increases, and typically want them to be paired with spending cuts. Moreover, they largely don't realize the importance of debt ceiling increases, and have no idea how bad it would be to fail to raise it.

Of course, this isn't coming from an educated position about the debt ceiling. For the most part, voters don't know what the debt ceiling actually is - but that just means that they're relying heavily on their gut response to the word "debt". Naturally, they have no idea that failing to raise the debt ceiling would mean default.

Moreover, there's indications that voters don't even realize that the GOP's debt ceiling brinksmanship risks sending the US into default. At the very least, they don't seem to realize that the GOP are the ones pushing for default.

That lack of voter knowledge does mean that strong messaging could probably have some impact. Sufficiently strong push polling can come up with >50% approval if they load the question heavily enough; pointing out that the GOP raised the debt ceiling several times during Trump's administration proved to be a particularly effective message, probably because it swayed Republican respondents who had overwhelmingly opposed it when they thought it was a Democratic policy. But two weeks before election day is not the time to start trying to change voter's minds on a policy.

This is all very interesting and it goes to the fact that misinformation has always been present. Political ads are basically just lies with a small kernal of truth on the right. On the center, it isn't much better. I don't really know what left wing ads would be like because we don't really have a left in this country.

More education on civics and economics in highschool would be better but we have one party and a part of the other party trying to push charter schools and actively trying to defund public education not to mention that we fund our schools in the stupidest way possible. We also have horrible media that wants to portray either crazy talking points as on the right, or a straight horse race on CNN and MSNBC. Not to mention they tend to do sensational stories because talking about pure economics and the debt ceiling or how our government actually functions is not compelling to most people even though they should probably know this before casting a ballot. We talk more about cultural issues in the media than actual policies and knowing which politicians and parties care about which policies is a good way to figure out who you should vote for rather than letting it devolve into red team blue team partisanship.

Maybe some sort of truth in advertising for political ads, especially those found on facebook and twitter could help this coupled with a robust civics and humanities program in schools. Its honestly scary how little most people know about most of this subject matter and I constantly need to remind myself that I am the weird one for knowing even a small amount about politics in this country.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

FlamingLiberal posted:

The 'corruption' Hunter Biden was maybe involved with is the tamest poo poo compared to anything the Trump kids did on a daily basis for 4 years

two words: Jared Kushner

I cannot stand the fact that ethics committees have pretty much no power.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

https://twitter.com/VeraMBergen/status/1585633516074979331

How is this guy an elected official? This is the guy that had all of his siblings come out against him holding elected office. He is pretty much one of the last people I would consider up to the challenge of sorting this out....I dunno maybe Gohmert would be worse.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

I have never had a twitter account. Place sucks dude.

So one of the ballot measures we are voting for in this floridas midterms is a millage tax that will help pay for funding mental healthcare for schools. The unfortunate problem with these funds is they will also go to charter schools. I am kinda at a loss for what to do with this. I really think more mental healthcare is a must but I am absolutely angry that public funds are going into private hands in this way. Any other florida goons have any ideas?

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

FlamingLiberal posted:

I believe the FL Dems are saying to vote no on all three amendments

I did. They all looked horrible.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Sounds like the true leftist answer is to vote "Yes" then.

Is that a local issue? According to Florida's website, these are the only three statewide ballot measures:

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2022/10/21/results-2022-lake-county-voters-to-decide-on-school-safety-tax-measure/

This is it, but the verbage on the actual ballot states that a proportionate share shall go to charter schools. I am completely against privatizing our education system. It leads to bad outcomes for poor people.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Most of the charter schools around here are basically so people can make money on education. The standards suck too. It is also so they can just fire teachers without recourse.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Honestly Paul Pelosi should have had more happen to him for that DUI. Secondly all the insider trading is pretty lovely. Id rather see both of them face those crimes than get beatup though.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

GreyjoyBastard posted:

It's extremely possible that there's some intricacy involved that would change my opinion, but here's my take: if the healthcare funding is competently managed and if there's not some sort of weird sneaky addition, I don't think it really matters all that much that some of that funding would go to private schools. Those kids still need mental healthcare, and subject to the above criteria I don't think much if any of that money would wind up in private pockets.

i will concede that "maybe we shouldn't give money to psychiatrists selected and employed by anti-gay religious schools" is a valid argument, if that's a dealbreaker for you that's perfectly fair

This is pretty much it. In florida there are a lot of problems with charter schools. The republican legisltature is working to get public money into private hands by having a voucher system so that a select few kids from poorer funded schools get to go to charter schools. I can only imagine that this mental healthcare is just going to be another poorly funded little aspect of school that goes to just the more wealthy schools. I just believe that if we are going to impose this tax, all the money should be going to public schools, especially those that are underperforming. If you have enough money to send your kid to a private school then you chances are you have healthcare whereas a lot of the kids going to public schools do not. Help the people that need it.

Its a tough one because I do believe in the universality of benefits and regardless of money you should get it and the way to claw back those things from the rich is through higher taxes on them.

I see this opening the door to allowing our taxes to go directly to private schools over public schools.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

GoutPatrol posted:

Are you calling for capital punishment about this? I'm not getting it.

no. I just would expect him to have his license taken away or one of those alcohol blow tubes installed in his car. You know, the things that make it really difficult for poor people that make the same mistake.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

when you point at the manifestos they just double and triple down on that poo poo.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

The Supreme court has been illegitimate since George W Bush was president. Nothing we do now beyond impeaching and replacing the justices he installed as well as the justices McConnel blocked will change that. It is deeply disturbing that we have a court that is pretty much legislating from the bench and they are unelected as well as the fact they are going against the will of the plurality of the people.

The Constitution needs to be fixed up for the 21st century. Originalism is just so freaking stupid.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Timeless Appeal posted:

I don't know if that's true, but it is irrelevant because the Dobbs decision is insane and is driven by a desire to ban abortion, not if Roe was imperfect.

Exactly this. They started off with the answer they wanted and worked backwards. I have a feeling we are going to be seeing lots more shadow docket shenanigans as well as the conservatives having an idea of how things should be regardless of what the constitution says and just coming up with something. The supereme court justices being unelected and having lifetime appointments is a huge detriment to pretty much every reasonable person that isn't governed by religious beliefs in this country.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

When I worked for comcast we had this problem. I did remote tech support and they laid off a lot of the workforce. I am not sure of the percentage. Basically they just ensured that the call volume you were taking was back to back calls so you had no time between calls to input the information that you get at the end of the call. They did this to save money I guess but what it lead to was widespread dissatisfaction of customers dealing with extremely stressed out underpaid workers. They also expected the people doing tech support, you know the people that customers call because their product they are paying for is broken, to try to sell things to the customers and then put you on disciplinary probation when you could not. There was a culture of the managers basically making employees feel like they were the only ones failing at this. Eventually, some of us began sending private messages and asking eachother about this and all of us were failing at it. Most of the time customers have no where else to go because of monopolies on ISPs. They also were rolling out metered data plan because so many people were cutting the cable.

The people running these companies are extremely greedy and think they know what it will take to make them profitable for their shareholders. They probably look at customer experience and employee quality of life as not mattering too much in comparison. Elon is no different. He is extremely short sighted and does not value his employees for the value they create.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

I honestly think that the democrats in general want to continue the status quo regardless of how pervasive poverty, food insecurity, and death through lack of healthcare. They mostly just want to make slight tweaks around the edges. Most of the time it seems like there are a few democrats that are truly inspiring like Katy Porter or Cori Bush doing things to show solidarity with the average american, but then you have people like Manchin or Tester that are completely owned by corporations.

I don't think how undemocratic our government is tenable for much longer with the income inequality, the quality of the jobs/pay and benefits, and the pisspoor cost of living adjustments in entitlements. Something has to give soon and I am seeing these things basically allowing the right to radicalize people that are truly hurting.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

I guarantee Trump believes that there is some sort of legal forcefield you get when you are a presidential candidate.

One thing I hope happens is we get an accounting of how the money donated to the Trump campaign after 2020 was spent. I would find that absolutely hilarious.

I bet there is a line item for hookers that has a funny name and the amount spent on BigMacs is going to be astounding.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

charlie crist lost....Im so freaking surprised. He has lost as a republican, a democrat, and an independent. He will probably run under the libertarian party next time. I mean he already has a hat trick of losing might as well go the distance.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

I guarantee they will. They will just continue to game the system as much as possible in order to enforce minority rule. They already have a propaganda empire that is making stupid people fearful of others instead of caring about policy so they have a baseline of voters, now they just have to continue gerrymandering and voter suppressing and winning supreme court decisions on their voter maps.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

From the election mail I received from republican candidates they def ran on culture war issues. It blows my mind that they are just saying that the economy is bad now. The economy has been bad for most people in this country for multiple decades considering if you get sick you may end up destitute as well as the fact you have the fed actively trying to limit the power of labor. The whole crime being on the rise thing also pisses me off. Most of these chuds are never going to be the target of a crime beyond wage theft. Its generally the marginalized people that these scumbags are afraid of gaining any sort of social power that are the victims of crime. Getting tough on crime has done nothing but enrich police departments and private prisons while harming certain communities with scalpal like precision.

The biggest problem with the whole crime thing is that both parties use it as a cudgel. The democrats are afraid of what the republicans are painting them as. They dont want to be seen as weak on crime and republicans are just loving crazy about it. The system needs reformed and there are no two ways about it. Our police look like soldiers anymore and they act like they are in a warzone.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

michigan makes me hopeful. I live in Florida so I have to hope for something.

I have a feeling in Florida we are going to see some more anti teacher laws soon.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Isn't there a clause in the contract for MarLaGo that Trump can't live there?

Rich people almost always escape justice unless they are harming other rich people. I have a feeling nothing is going to happen to Trump but a slap on the wrist if that.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

considering there are massive industries now that profit off supplying the phone calls to inmates at a huge markup as well as the fact that all the items in the commisary are marked up to an insane degree the pittance they are paid to do work is terrible and should be considered slavery still.

My thinking is that republican legislatures are going to find a way to overturn the will of the people once again on this one. I have a feeling they will do the same with abortion access. Kentucky is already trying to weasel out of what the people want when it pertains to abortion.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

The other thing about proffessional sports is that unless you are a star you really are not making a lot of money. Hopefully you paid attention in college and are going to actually use that degree because as it is you will not be able to live off of what you made after your body is destroyed if you are just some rando on the team.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Jesus III posted:

She makes 221k a year as a salary. We shouldn't have wasted time saving someone who made a dumb decision at a dumb time.

you miss the point of my post.

I'll address Griner this way: No person should be behind bars in a work colony or prison of any sort for cannabis. I believe she was only incarcerated as a bargaining chip that Russia could hold in negotiations with the US which makes it even worse.

Most professional athletes do not make much money for what they do and the amount of training they put in. The other thing about professional sports is that that job does have a very real shelf life. As we age we naturally slow down, lose accuracy, our sharpness decreases, etc. In the case of football injuries can drastically speed up this process.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Madkal posted:

Take away the salary and your exact words have been used by every single person justifying locking up people on drug charges.

This is exactly what I mean. Drug users generally do not end up experiencing substance abuse disorder. Why lock them up or soak them for money in the legal system. The people that do experience substance abuse disorder end up in and out of jail which leads to a situation when they do end up getting clean of having a really difficult hole to get out of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Ravenfood posted:

What level of income makes it "greedy"

I think it has to do with the direct exploitation of workers or syphoning off "profits" from said workers.