Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
The Brett Favre saga is definitely looking worse and worse for him.

So apparently he guaranteed his own money to pay for the stadium but then tried to get the state to cover it.

Texts have Gov Bryant directly mentioning the federal funds meant for low income families and kids but that basically they can't use it.

Then, after repeatedly pressing, Bryant and the president of USM are talking together about how inappropriate his requests are.

I think at this point Favre is going to get into actual big trouble for it.

This seems to be coming from Bryant trying to throw him under the bus a bit... But I mean ultimately he did receive the funds so I'm guessing he's not clean either.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34656657/brett-favre-pressed-facility-funding-being-told-legality-question-court-filing-says

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

FlamingLiberal posted:

No, Bryant is also in deep poo poo because he apparently took shares in some company Favre was involved with in exchange for doing this stadium deal, according to texts

Oh no I know that. I said this latest release of texts came from Bryant himself trying to throw Favre under the bus. I mean Bryant is also guilty too.

For anyone else this is a great narrative rundown of the whole thing so far :

https://mississippitoday.org/2022/09/24/phil-bryant-brett-favre-welfare-volleyball/

Also Bryant is desperately trying to ask that the rest of the texts not be released to the public bc of how damaging they are. That's part of why he released the latest batch as well.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I'm ready for a post-content world

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Tibalt posted:

On a different note, the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco released a study attributing up to 60% of the increase in the cost of housing to remote work:

This has sparked a lot of articles with click bait-y titles and 'The Fed is lying, it's greedy landlords' hot takes on Twitter. Setting that aside, the evidence in the study does seem pretty strong - there's a strong correlation between the areas that had a larger share of remote work before the pandemic (indicating that the area has a remote-friendly industry already) and the increase in house prices after 2019. An important thing that I think a lot of the hot takes and articles are missing is that the Fed isn't arguing that we should return to the office to make home prices go down, or even implying it. Rather, the study indicates that remote work is going to persist and is going to shape the housing market for the foreseeable future.

My take is that while increasing rates are going to decrease the demand for homes, the realignment caused by Covid-19 is going to offset that and there's still going to be a permanent increase in demand. We're not going to get the housing crash that people are waiting for and we're might not even get the market correction you'd expect. Just add it as one more thing to the pile of 'This economy is weird and the old rules don't apply anymore,' along with the permanent contraction of the workforce keeping unemployment low and increased demands for goods and services slamming into supply chain issues.

I bought a house in May and "can I get Fiber here for remote work" was a high priority deal breaker when deciding (I do heavy media work, had to have hefty upload speeds).

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
The FFEL thing was always a huge up in the air question. I never thought they explicitly stated they'd be covered (but could be wrong on that). As a holder of FFEL loans I was always looking for guidance and basically everything I found said most wouldn't be. The barometer was "did your FFEL loan qualify for the COVID pause? No? Better loving consolidate now."

The huge issue here is not giving people a heads up to consolidate them. If it was like "we won't cover these, you have 1 month to begin the consolidation process so that we will cover it" then that'd be fine. But just saying "we aren't covering it and if you haven't already applied for consolidation you're SOL" is a huge own goal here.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Kalit posted:

According to that linked NPR article, they were giving borrowers a heads up. However, the way it was worded made it sound like they had another year+ to consolidate their loans :sigh:

Were they? Because I certainly didn't get any heads up on it. I did apply for consolidation on Aug 25 (but it hasn't gone through yet) so maybe there was something in their system that flagged that? But I sure as poo poo got no heads from the StudentAid.gov nor MOHELA (which I would expect from them).

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Kalit posted:

Well if you’re talking about proactive contacting borrowers, I don’t know.

But if you look at that NPR article, it shows the DoE website’s guidance in screenshots going from something like “unsure about privately held loans, consolidate guarantees it” to “no luck if you didn’t consolidate before 9/29”*

*I’m on a phone and don’t want to try to retype the entire message verbatim. Look at the article for exact verbiage

Yeah I thought you meant proactively contacting borrowers (I went and read the article) and that's definitely not the case.

The tricky thing is that most, if not all, FFEL borrowers used a loan servicer so you did all transactions through their site (MOHELA for me) so I think there's a large chance a lot of those folks never made it to StudentAid.gov. Certainly not to the point where they were checking it often for news. Pretty lovely.

I'm glad I went ahead and got the process going. Sheesh.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I doubt it's scandal as it's for the job of Presidency so I don't think Florida would just invite that in wholesale (but I mean... it is Florida).

I'm assuming it's just money.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Inflation came in higher than expected for September. Ouch.

Fed hike likely incoming again. Man, I bought a house in June - and overpaid in a hot market - but my 5% rate is starting to look like a luxury.

https://www.cnn.com/business/live-news/stocks-markets-today-cpi-inflation

edit: And Social Security is getting an 8.7% cost of living bump.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I'm a millennial and I have gray hair, am over the halfway point for the lifespan of the average American male, and doctors put a camera up my butt once a year.

:(

Uhhh I don't think you're supposed to get a colonscopy once a year. (I mean unless there's some specific reason I guess)

When I turned 40 my doc started doing the finger-up-my-butt prostate exam. Then I moved to a different state and got a different doctor and he basically said "that's odd... anyway we're evidence based here and the evidence shows that those rectal exams aren't exactly effective. So we'll just do blood screening instead."

Fingers up my butt for NOTHIN'!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Now I'm concerned that Bonoman's doctor and my doctor are either not keeping up with the updated guidelines or they both just enjoy going on recreational trips to prostate town.

Yeah my doctor (well former doctor now, thank god I moved) also wore a *power balance* wristband at one point.

So... Uh. I think it's probably a mix of both of those!

The mass shooter in North Carolina last night was a 15-year boy.

Not clear if he knew any of the victims, what a potential motive was, or where he got the semi-automatic rifle.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1580936822405812224

This is where I moved *to.* Crazy stuff. Just got an email from the Wake County School System saying one student was killed and two others injured.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

FizFashizzle posted:

Testing guidelines are also guided by family history.

We…..don’t do digital exams anymore. Is your doctor an older guy who probably hasn’t kept up with his CME?

Don't know about Leon's guy, but mine was young. In his early 50s at the most.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

As sad as this is, that might be a different mass shooting in the area?

The NYT has the names and ages of the people shot and only one seems to be school-aged.

https://twitter.com/shannonrwatts/status/1580936276735184896

Yeah it's just one student. I just misread the email (it was very specifically about this shooting).

"Five lives were taken in a senseless act of violence in northeastern Raleigh near the Neuse River Greenway, including one of our own students. Two others were injured. The shooter was taken into custody with life-threatening injuries."

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

hmmmm

https://twitter.com/phildstewart/status/1584541422317076480

would they indict him two weeks before the midterm?

Probably blocking the Twitter deal since Biden has been using “national security issues” language around that.

But that wouldn’t be the DoJ so nevermind.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Oracle posted:

It'll be something completely unrelated like China managed to hack social security db or something.

Actually it might be TikTok now that you mention that.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

evilweasel posted:

not really

remember: twitter sells ads. users are the product, not the customer. if musk makes twitter a right-wing hellscape the ads will leave far sooner than the users.

remember, musk has to pay $1 billion in interest per year, on top of all the money twitter loses already with advertisers that aren't fleeing

Don't forget how much he overpaid right from the outset too!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
DeSantis’ biggest downfall is he’s a short-tempered rear end in a top hat that can’t channel that energy to smarmy “burns” on his opponent. Trump followers just love his schoolyard bully energy. It’s got all the finesse of a 13 year old who thinks he’s roasting his enemies with his sick burns. They love that poo poo.

DeSantis just gets angry and becomes an rear end in a top hat. That’s not bigly enough for them.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Can't wait for the "what is Pelosi hiding?!?!" Hot takes now that she's stepping aside.

Jesus this poo poo is so insufferable. And it won't convince anyone of anything. Everyone that supports these hearings will interpret everything, no matter the reality, to mean "guilty."

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Youth Decay posted:

I feel like "people are trying to kill me and they came close to killing my husband" is a perfectly valid reason to step away from the political spotlight, along with being old as hell.

No of course it is. I'm talking about hot takes from the right

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Kalit posted:

Umm.... why would you think this? I'd be shocked if there was ever an instance where this has happened to the tune of $1B unless they got the money through some other source (e.g. government reimbursement). Or probably if the individual had extremely close connections with the CEO/board of directors.

Also, I don't think anyone thinks this will "take Musk down". He'll still be rich, even if he loses all of the money he used to buy Twitter with.

Yeah I don't know what that poster is talking about. The banks that are owed the money are not going to just forgive the debt to be in business with Elon because... That business is obviously bad for them.

Now what has been floating around is that all these groups that lent him money for the deal are ok burning money because they think they'll be in Elon's good graces for the NEXT big thing which will surellllly be a big one.

But that's not the same as the banks owed the old debt. They want their ducking money.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

nine-gear crow posted:

Oh, this is the movie that Gina Carano blew up her legitimate acting career to make!

No she blew up her acting career by letting the mask slip and revealing she was an ultra chud. Now these are the only kinds of movies she *can* make.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
To nobody's surprise, Musk has stated he's going to reinstate Trump.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/19/business/twitter-musk-trump-reinstate/index.html

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
IANAE on any of this but I think most bad blood about buy backs seems to emanate not from the fact that they exist but that companies, in an era of huge corporate profits and high prices, they tend to use profits for buy backs instead of material investment into the company (that could potentially lead to consumer benefits).

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Gyges posted:

I'd argue that the current bad blood is mostly from the government repeatedly giving money in various forms to corporations in order to stimulate the economy or save jobs, only to :surprise pickachu face: when the corporations just turn around and do stock buy backs instead.

Oh I mean yeah... that too!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Twincityhacker posted:

This whole thread is about the consequences of the power being out in Moore county after the terror attack. I found this one to be the most interesting:

https://twitter.com/A_Wilkins_/status/1599876400026378240?t=iOdQIWhGQmbnK9pFHxJynA&s=19

So, uh, at least the person who claimed to know why it happened got yelled at?

I was born and raised in rural Mississippi and have never heard word of prayer used like that. It is not a southernism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Trying to think of the last time I saw someone in flamboyant drag outside of an advertised drag or queer event and it's... huh, never. Guess our kids are safe, no need for laws.

This is specifically aimed at "drag queen story hour" events. We took our kids to one during Pride Day this year in North Carolina. It was awesome. The kids loving loved it and there was a huge turnout to oppose the fascists.