Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The remake of Replicant plays a lot more fluidity and borrows a bunch of features from Automata, in case you only tried the original jankier version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The only PC version of Replicant is v1.22 so I assume Mindblast did play that one.

Fair to say the game is still very stiff and the replaying routes to get endings is significantly less kind than Automata.

In terms of the dad/brother split, given I played the original a long time back and Replicant a couple of times, including at the mo, I think it's a bit of a mixed bag.
Father is definitely better for the first part of the story, but in the second part, I think brother reads just as well in the story. It's a bit less believable that/harder to resonate with the young Nier being as dedicated to Yonah as the dad would be in part 1, in part 2, the young adult brother makes it a bit of a wash.
It certainly makes the Kainé related endings less weird to boot. The age gap and dad Nier being a widow is a bit icky

I would have liked a character select given that it's the definitive release in intent.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also out of curiosity, how does the new ending in Replicant tie into Automata?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I would say probably not a huge amount.
It's the ending E from Grimoire Noir brought into the game itself, and doesn't really retroactively change much of Automata as the content of that ending already existed before Automata's creation. Some of the imagery used in game is changed from the book to match with Automata versus it being a bit vaguer/more generic in Grimoire Noir. the data centre thingy at the forest of myth tree looks like the copied city now, the avatar is based on 2B and 9S instead of a singular character

Most of the stuff that affects Automata from Replicant but isn't actually in a game in the truest sense is the side stories. such as Emil fighting the alien invasion (another jokey thing that oops not a joke!) and beepy giving the machines free will. Think that might have been a Drakengard supplemental tho.

Other aspects that are sort of important in a way is that it's pseudo confirmed that A2's personality is based on Kainé's memories, which in turn also means 2B's is.

One thing I've not really got to the bottom of is the implications of FFXIV's crossover with NieR A. There's not much on the internet to brush up on the FFXIV raid and I cba to watch all the cutscenes back.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 25, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also for that matter, I haven’t played it but how does the new ending/final section in Replicant work exactly? Is it kind of an “Ending F” so to speak or does it replace the final ending of Gestalt?

Related, does Kainé play like Zero from Drakengard 3?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 25, 2023

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Larryb posted:

Also for that matter, I haven’t played it but how does the new ending/final section in Replicant work exactly? Is it kind of an “Ending F” so to speak or does it replace the final ending of Gestalt?

Related, does Kainé play like Zero from Drakengard 3?

She plays mostly like a rejigged Young Nier.

To unlock ending E, you complete ending D, delete your save and play through to the point where you defeat the big shade with Kainé. She wakes up and it was a nightmare and it carries on as new content from there. You get your deleted save back when all is done.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I would say probably not a huge amount.
It's the ending E from Grimoire Noir brought into the game itself, and doesn't really retroactively change much of Automata as the content of that ending already existed before Automata's creation. Some of the imagery used in game is changed from the book to match with Automata versus it being a bit vaguer/more generic in Grimoire Noir. the data centre thingy at the forest of myth tree looks like the copied city now, the avatar is based on 2B and 9S instead of a singular character

Most of the stuff that affects Automata from Replicant but isn't actually in a game in the truest sense is the side stories. such as Emil fighting the alien invasion (another jokey thing that oops not a joke!) and beepy giving the machines free will. Think that might have been a Drakengard supplemental tho.

Other aspects that are sort of important in a way is that it's pseudo confirmed that A2's personality is based on Kainé's memories, which in turn also means 2B's is.

One thing I've not really got to the bottom of is the implications of FFXIV's crossover with NieR A. There's not much on the internet to brush up on the FFXIV raid and I cba to watch all the cutscenes back.

Its implied by the last words of the Administrators in ending E that Kaine somehow fuses multiple timelines together by loving with the record of humanity. As for the Administrators'/A2/2B/9S's forms, it's kind of a mixed bag as far as their origin implications. The best explanation I can come up with is the Administrators created to manage the remaining maso and the record of humanity by Project Gestalt are used as the templates for the No. 2 and No. 9 prototypes Zinnia made just before the founding of YoRHa. And somewhere along the way, Kaine's personality was integrated into the No. 2 Administrator programming since they were so interested in her leading up to Grimoire Nier/Ending E before being loaded into A2. Or that A2 was just a special case as the first non-prototype No. 2 unit. But there's nothing confirming that.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The only PC version of Replicant is v1.22 so I assume Mindblast did play that one.

Fair to say the game is still very stiff and the replaying routes to get endings is significantly less kind than Automata.

In terms of the dad/brother split, given I played the original a long time back and Replicant a couple of times, including at the mo, I think it's a bit of a mixed bag.
Father is definitely better for the first part of the story, but in the second part, I think brother reads just as well in the story. It's a bit less believable that/harder to resonate with the young Nier being as dedicated to Yonah as the dad would be in part 1, in part 2, the young adult brother makes it a bit of a wash.
It certainly makes the Kainé related endings less weird to boot. The age gap and dad Nier being a widow is a bit icky

I would have liked a character select given that it's the definitive release in intent.

I think brother Nier is much better in general because the change/growth in his character over the time skip makes way less sense for Father Nier. The relationship between Nier and Emil/Kaine also makes much less sense with father Nier.

Also, brother Nier being committed to Yonah isn't strange at all given she's literally his only family.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The commitment makes sense, I just think it's a little bit of a harder sell with how young brother Nier is in part 1.
That said, it also makes some of the supplemental stuff hit harder as well.
Either way, NieR: R... eally good.

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Getter into the Future, Ryouma-Chan~

A LOT OF THIS IS JUST MY READ ON IT but from what the game tells you lore wise The Xiv crossover is kind of the aftermath of the ending where 9S and the machine consciousness blasted themselves into space. All the crossover stuff is basically just their brain ship seeding whatever planet the pass with little fake versions of the events of Automata itself, essentially as just a kind of headstone to prove their own existence, cardboard cutout versions of 2B and 9S being added in personally by 9s himself as his own little epithet. By the end the whole thing is so obviously purile and self serving that the final boss is just 12 Recognizable Yoko Taro Branded Things mashed together in a vain attempt to evoke something of significance purely on recognition, completely irrelevant to the actual story which is about dopey identical dwarfs having interpersonal problems. It's very clearly as much about Automata as a brand as much as it is about continuing the story, but like, it fits in weirdly well with Shadowbringers themes imo.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I played them before I played Replicant or Automata, and I kind of wonder if I was better off just viewing them as an insane spectacle instead of trying to figure out how it all tied in after playing the games. I guess the music would have been cooler if I'd been familiar with it, but otherwise I don't feel like I missed out on too much in terms of meaning or significance.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

https://youtu.be/PsQko0cn8qU

Yoko Taro wrote a Nier short film with puppets. It’s ostensibly a music video for the show’s credit song, though the song doesn’t start until the “music video” hits its own credits 10 minutes in.

Anyway, it’s neat. And disturbing, depicting the machines as child soldiers dealing with existential despair. Very Yoko Taro.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Bugblatter posted:

Yoko Taro wrote a Nier short film with puppets. It’s ostensibly a music video for the show’s credit song, though the song doesn’t start until the “music video” hits its own credits 10 minutes in.

Anyway, it’s neat. And disturbing, depicting the machines as child soldiers dealing with existential despair. Very Yoko Taro.

:stare: That was.....indeed very Yoko Taro. Holy poo poo.

The distorted acoustic versions of game background music during the show were sweet, but now we have to wait for someone to translate the hex from the glitchy looping credits.

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

The last thing an ice cream cone ever sees

Bugblatter posted:

Yay we get a parable of why the baby machines killed the aliens!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The anime returns next week:

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2023/02/11/nierautomata-ver11a-anime-returns-to-japanese-tv-on-february-18th

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Excited for things to start up again :woop: :woop:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Haven’t seen it yet but just a reminder the anime is officially back on track today with a new episode

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Episodes pretty good, the horse stubby is too cute

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Ok, the fight with Simone was pretty loving awesome.

But what the gently caress was with the Commander reporting to the "council"? She knows they don't actually exist. So...is there actually humanity on the moon in this version? Or is the Commander in the dark about the nature of YoRHa, too? Like...that one scene opened way more questions than anything else so far. :psyduck:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

Ok, the fight with Simone was pretty loving awesome.

But what the gently caress was with the Commander reporting to the "council"? She knows they don't actually exist. So...is there actually humanity on the moon in this version? Or is the Commander in the dark about the nature of YoRHa, too? Like...that one scene opened way more questions than anything else so far. :psyduck:

It’s pretty clear that this version isn’t a complete 1:1 adaption of the game so who knows? The CG seems to have improved a bit from the first episode at least

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

AlternateNu posted:

They go completely unseen in the game but clearly there's a level of android authority above the Commander and YoRHa, since someone had to design and build them. The game implies they're not on the Moon with the nearly empty shipping manifest IIRC but it doesn't make much of a difference whether they're there or on Earth.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Feb 20, 2023

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
that beautiful song fight was worth the wait. CGI/drawn animation integration was on point

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Sindai posted:

They go completely unseen in the game but clearly there's a level of android authority above the Commander and YoRHa, since someone had to design and build them. The game implies they're not on the Moon with the nearly empty shipping manifest IIRC but it doesn't make much of a difference whether they're there or on Earth.

At least in game/side material, there isn't, actually. The creator of YorHa, Zinnia, gets merc'd by the No. 9 prototype who then sets the entire YorHa plan into motion with the No. 2 prototype. YorHa is only like....15 years old at the start of Automata. I think it's pretty clear that the only people who know the truth about YorHa are the Commander, the various incarnations of No.9/9S who inevitably crack the main server, and the central robot consciousness which finds the backdoor No. 9 placed there at the start.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I also registered to read TDI's LPs.
I know he had a hard time of it (and that is an understatement) in recent years but I hope he and his fam are doing well.

Yoko Taro contacted him to give him some goodies due to the Nier LP being so loving of the game and positive, as well as his other Taro game LPs.
It's hard to think back in many ways now, especially given Automata is beloved and the V1.22 version of NieR 1 was well received but NieR original released to utter critical disdain and it was a true cult classic.
It has the rep it always deserved now, but I think it's utterly fair to say that TDI is a significant part of why the greater series got its respect.

Do you have a link to him getting the goodies? Also TDI is also the reason I registered. He seems like a good dude

Edit: also show is good. I was super excited for the place in episode 4 and it didn't disappoint. I loving love that scene and the music.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sorry, it's a very long time ago, I wouldn't know where to start other than perhaps in the Drakengard 3 LP intro?

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

I feel like the popular lore around this became that Yoko Taro became aware of the LPs somehow and reached out but having looked it up TDI reached out first

The Dark Id posted:

I got shitfaced and did some digging to contact Cavia before it was dissolved and specifically Sith Lord Taro Yoko during the NIER LP and linked to all the sales I had gotten the game... granted mostly used but whatever. I did more advertising than Square-Enix at that point. I got a response back from Taro Yoko a few months later thanking me for being an "ambassador to the West" and was asked for an address. Which was a PO BOX so whatever. If he was sending a letter bomb some poor mail lady would blow up. Drakengard! But in fact I got a signed poster from a bunch of members from the team and a voucher for the NieR piano soundtrack. Which required I make a fake Japanese iTunes account listing me in 25000 Fake Street, Osaka Japan.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

still very cute
also quite impressed i wasn't far off with my guess of when that was talked about because my brain is actual poo poo

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Cool episode.

Lots of interesting changes and backstory

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Bugblatter posted:

Finally watched this and, man, the looping credits were something else. Impressive stuff with interesting story implications. I've always had this pet headcanon that the city ruins+factory+amusement park etc is not the first of it's kind, that every so often they get built in preparation for humanity coming back to live on earth, only to inevitably get destroyed when the fighting starts picking up steam again...basically me answering a question that doesn't actually need to be answered i.e. "how did that city last for thousands of years??" Like, the idea that the androids are constantly rebuilding earth in hope that the humans will come back only for it all to get destroyed again and again feels pretty in line with Sith Lord Yoko. The video and credits made me think of that.

...unless that actually is the explanation and I missed it and decided it was my headcanon :shobon:

In any case, I'm happy to see the anime back again. I loved how they did the Simone fight, though I wish they had spent more time gawking at the amusement park. I think that was one of the more wtf moments in the early game. I hope we get an appearance from my favorite machine, Machine With a Dream :3:

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 26, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Based on the flashback it appears that Brother Nier is the canon predecessor to this version of the story (in fact the first game could make for a decent anime in and of itself honestly)

Makes me curious if the actual Emil is going to show up eventually (didn’t he appear in the game as a shopkeeper or something?)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Larryb posted:

Based on the flashback it appears that Brother Nier is the canon predecessor to this version of the story (in fact the first game could make for a decent anime in and of itself honestly)

Makes me curious if the actual Emil is going to show up eventually (didn’t he appear in the game as a shopkeeper or something?)

To your second paragraph question, Emil was a merchant in the game and also had a side quest linking him to the older games as well as a secret boss battle.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Midjack posted:

To your second paragraph question, Emil was a merchant in the game and also had a side quest linking him to the older games as well as a secret boss battle.

Also upon looking it up just now that particular Emil was actually one of many copies the original created to fight the aliens.

Considering how much the anime seems to be referring back to its predecessor (even moreso than the actual game did) I imagine he’ll probably pop up eventually, he already got a line in the puppet show at the end of this week’s episode after all

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Another good episode. Still waiting for my girl to show up. Though, if they follow the basic quest series from the game, next episode will probably be the Engel attack in the city center.

In the flashback, the character design for Kaine seemed a bit different from other media. Though, it may have just been the smile. Kaine and smiles don't mix.

Eldsluft
Dec 22, 2021

"Ingenio stat sine morte decus."
I know nothing about the plot of the game but I can't stop the feeling that something bad is going to happen to this little village.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022
Whereas the 3D stuff in the first episode sucked, it was really cool this time around. Really looking forward to the rest of the season.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The thick blacks in Pascal's flashback gave the whole sequence a really nice visual style. I miss seeing proper contrasty blacks in most modern anime.

The addition of the Emil shrine was cool. Didn't expect to see so much from the first Nier.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I was really worried this would just suck, and the first episode really compounded those worries, but it's turned around to be pretty drat good

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Happy Landfill posted:

...unless that actually is the explanation and I missed it and decided it was my headcanon :shobon:

Answer in spoilers because we have non-game posters here everything you see is built by the machines between wars to preserve the status quo, even the city ruins. After 13 Machine Wars and something like ten thousand years, it's basically the only explanation that would make sense, considering how pressed for resources and consistently on the backfoot the androids are. I don't remember exactly where this comes up but yeah I had that question in the back of my head for most of the game as well.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

GimmickMan posted:

Answer in spoilers because we have non-game posters here everything you see is built by the machines between wars to preserve the status quo, even the city ruins. After 13 Machine Wars and something like ten thousand years, it's basically the only explanation that would make sense, considering how pressed for resources and consistently on the backfoot the androids are. I don't remember exactly where this comes up but yeah I had that question in the back of my head for most of the game as well.

Ok, so that's really similar to what I was thinking. to 'maintain the status quo is...also pretty bleak. I think any explanation would play in to the rote, circular nature of the whole conflict. Repetition for the sake of itself.

Also, I'll go back and edit that speculation in to a spoiler tag, just in case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
New episode ruled