Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Been enjoying Last Faith but its really reminding me of both why I prefer Igavanias over all the other titles in this genre and I did not know it was possible to botch Dark Souls inspired storytelling this badly. Like not only is the writing just labyrinthine nothing, it fucks up the basic Souls game design of very quickly giving you a mid term objective to latch onto that then reveals the true long-term goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Finished The Last Faith and wow, that sure is an ending. It feels like either a game where the writers knew what was going on but forgot to tell you, or just the writers expected you to have played Bloodborne and just insert the gaps with that. Regardless, thats terrible writing.

Also for an exploration based game it sure is awesome that a ton of the quests dead end if you progress too far with no warning.

One tiny yet massive mercy is the true ending bossfight doesnt have to be beaten after doing the normal final boss. Also none of the multi-phasal bosses in this game should have had multiple health bars, especially because they eventually have distinct phases within those healthbars.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Nov 27, 2023

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Heath posted:

TLF just feels cargo cult in every aspect of its design. Like they see the elements but they don't understand them or understand how to apply them to their own design space. Things that work in 3D games do not work in 2D games without significant restructuring in the basic logic of it

Yeah its so much this, both gameplay and narrative. I literally laughed when the second to last zone shows up in the map as "Altar of the Verb of Junas" which unintentional or not felt like they were using Mad Libs with Dark Souls locations and forgot to fill in one of the blanks.

Which is confounding when they actually do a pretty good job of putting together interesting zones and areas that feel suitably fun to explore. Theres a bit too much reliance on "explore until you find 3/4/6 parts of the door lock" but the structure of some parts especially the later zones are quite solid.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Playing Blasphemous 2 now and hey, look at that, a super unreal narrative game where at the start it says what your objective is and lets you ground yourself on a defined quest.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gerrund_ing posted:

Bloodstained was so good. I really wish there were more igavanias being made. The amount of build variety you can have in those titles is so varied. Wish more titles over the past few years had copied that instead of Hollow Knight. HK is fun...but like, sometimes I like to just mindlessly grind for new gear or upgrades to current gear.

Im in the middle of Blasphemous 2 and while its perfectly fine and good, I just wish it was Bloodstained

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Iga, pleae, I beg you. I dont care about the promised DLC. I forgive you. I swear, it means nothing to me.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Heath posted:

Is there anybody, literally anybody, who is actually demanding any of the unreleased DLC before a second game

Iga, I guess.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Wrapping up the last bits of Blaphemous 2 and its surprising to me how much it bugs me the Catholic imagery is thrown in with no respect to the settings interesting concept to the story and settings detriment. Ts so well drawn and animated throughout it should gain points but its so clearly an aesthetic over meaning its losing points for me.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gerrund_ing posted:

Outside of a few weirdos on steam, I don't think so. The game had more than enough extra DLC and has more content than like any other Igavania as it is. I really hope that they've at least got people working on concept art and stuff...so that way once these MP modes that like only 10 people will play gets released, they'll at least have some of a start on the second game.

Honestly I wish they had a mode kind of like Harmony of Despair instead of MP...that game had such a cool idea. Like that game just needed a way more robust loot/farming/crafting system and more stages and I think it could have done well.

It was before Konami or anyone else fully understood "maps need to be free, characters and everything cosmetic is where you make the money"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Playing Prince of Persia and it has a Persian language option, so thats neat and what I chose

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I appreciate in PoP you can go the absolute wrong way at the atart and the games layout even encourages you in that direction.

Definitely didnt die several times wondering why difficulty spiked so suddenly.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Prince of Persia kicks rear end and is drat sprawling in a way I didnt expect

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

Oh im a trillion % talking out of my rear end but the game is legitimately hard, that or im old and my ancient hands can't play games well anymore

It can get very mean, especially at the start when you have very little health or anything else to fall back on and limited mobility.

Something I didnt think about until now but do Xerxes coins stay with you if you use your second power?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

abraham linksys posted:

this large room full of pirates to the right of the Landmines fast travel point is one of the most miserable places I have ever been in a video game (positive)

really after like 10 deaths to the double sword pirates you're gonna do me like that with the chest huh

That got me too and I laughed and laughed and laughed. Just best buds now.

Edit: Theres a reverse sequence skip where if you take a path back to the starting area it plays the entering Qaf cutscene again and respawns the initial fight.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jan 18, 2024

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ultrachrist posted:

I bought Prince of Persia at full price off the strength of it being 'made by the rayman team'. It's neat but not amazing so far (recently got the 2nd feather ability). It's more combat focused than platforming, which surprised me having read a couple reviews beforehand. It has an issue many 2d-with-3d graphics games have where the size of everything feels... off. I'm often in huge areas that feel too empty and huge.

It's fun though. I'm itching to play it again after work.

There are some platforming-only optional deviousness as you progress. The hidden floor in particular is a straight gauntlet of precision I stuck through only to feel trolled by the reward.

That said combat is a big and to me not super interesting part so Im glad Im on normal and just mainlined the sword damage and defense upgrades so even these midgame foes are easy to spam through

Barudak
May 7, 2007

sudonim posted:

I'm enjoying PoP lost crown but I talked to the trainer about using the dodge button to re-right oneself post-throw after getting the air dash and it doesn't seem to work? Is there something poorly explained here or do I have to some new flavor of learning disability? :psyduck:

Its a bug. Reload your game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah im at the end of PoP and hooooooboy is their some mean platforming

Edit: and locked out of 100% as the arrow puzzle box wont trigger. Well that kills my playthrough and ability to recommend it dead

Barudak fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jan 20, 2024

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ultrachrist posted:

Bummer, what’s the bug?

I had a bug where the game froze if I tried to accept the moon sidequest. Fixed it by shutting off my controller and turning it back on. While searching for a fix, I saw people say the pirate quest (haven’t found yet) is also bugged if you don’t have a collectible by the time you find the npc. Lastly, I had something that I think (?) was a bug where I died on the 2nd wave of a combat room, came back and died again to 1st wave while trying to learn the parry timing (green guy in forest), and when I came back the combat didn’t even trigger. Hopefully didn’t miss anything.

You can visibly see yourself hit the trigger, but it never does anything so the chest never spawns. Its been bugged for me since game start, I just didnt know it was a bug till now so no clue what causes it.

Replaying the entering Qaf cutscene also hosed up Ordo and the Fisherman but the game kept going at least. One of the later bosses also disappeared from the screen for me before it righted itself in the middle of them kicking my rear end.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Isnt that what the navigation mode does?

Also the one way paths do show up and resolve on the maps

Edit: As for bosses on normal at least I beat almost all of them first try once I got the defense amulet and never really learned their moves because that amulet makes you unbelievably tanky

Barudak fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jan 31, 2024

Barudak
May 7, 2007

They patched Prince of Persia to fix the bugged chest so I can resume recommending the game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

fez_machine posted:

Hollow Knight but an Igavania would be great

Id actually finish it, yeah.