Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Mode 7 posted:

Is there anything perfectly suited to blasting through in a cozy afternoon or weekend?

Yoku's Island Express. A cute Metroid + pinball blend! (No, not that one.)

JamesKPolk posted:

Cave Story feels too obvious

I'm still not convinced that Cave Story is a Metroidvania in the first place. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I've been curious to see how that one actually is. Because on the one hand I love roguelikes and it's captured the look and feel of Metroid quite well, but to me a roguelike structure is borderline antithetical to what I'm looking for in a Metroidvania. (Granted, randomizers have narrowed the gap between the genres, but I feel like those are still a little different? idk)

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

S.J. posted:

Also, souls games are just metroidvanias with corpse runs.

I mean, on the one hand, I get that looping back around to Firelink Shrine is very similar to looping back to Samus's ship in Super Metroid. But the Souls games have like...maybe three whole "abilities" across the games that aren't explicit keys or glorified keys. Of course, parts of the games remind me of Zelda instead, so it's turtles all the way down I suppose.

Now, if we wanna talk about a game that, to me anyway, feels a lot like Dark Souls but is also a true blue Metroidvania, well...

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
SotN and it's ilk make things even fuzzier because they also lean heavily on RPG systems. Which places it further into overlap with Dark Souls, but in a way unrelated to MV-ness.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

OxMan posted:

Not metroidvanias any more than soulslikes are, but all of the german dev Deck13's games have that mechanic (Lords of the Fallen, The Surge, The Surge 2)

Though with those it's about completing secret objectives unique to each boss. Which I think I probably prefer to never taking a hit...but some of the objectives can be weird and frustrating too. At least you know if you take a hit and screwed up.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
One of the extremely low-key things that Super Metroid does that I really like is how good the minimap is and how the game world almost seems to be built around it rather than the other way around. So many spots where you're given juuust enough of a heads up to something thanks to its specific dimensions.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Tortolia posted:

1) Extremely dangerous combat, particularly if healing options are limited and leave you vulnerable while you do them.

Another big signifier is combat that resists button mashing and requires some additional degree of tactical assessment and/or investment. Stamina meters, uncancelable animations, maybe an emphasis on careful blocking/parrying. Though admittedly even within From's own output this varies drastically. There's also the mighty dodge roll. If a newer game makes a big fuss about using your dodge to go through enemy attacks with iframes, then there's decent odds it's drawing from the Souls games, even if they didn't necessarily invent the concept outright.

Really the secret is that "soulslike" potentially means a dozen different things hence why people always end up arguing and litigating the term. There's inevitably some pretty big grey areas to deal with when newer games tack on random bits of soulslike trappings. Like, HK clearly has that DNA in there. Dunno if I'd actually call it a straight-up soulslike tho. :shrug: Meanwhile, I think SotN is actually pretty close to being a prototypical soulslike essentially by coincidence.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The Souls games have the looping, interwoven map design of Metroidvanias, but the itemization isn't there at all. There's a couple of exceptions to quibble over, but the grand majority of key items are...keys, rather than cool new abilities that make you go "hmm what if I used this back at the start of the game?". It's funny because something like Salt and Sanctuary, despite being as blatant a 2D souls clone as you can get, also threw in some of those making it more of a MV than its direct inspiration.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Nov 8, 2022

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Stolen from the Steam thread, but this seems pretty drat relevant to what we've been talking about :stare:

https://twitter.com/cyangmou/status/1590011566757670912

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I have a soft spot for Unepic, but I have no illusions about why people hate it. I also never finished the dang thing.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Has Toki Tori 2 come up yet. That's got the sequence-breaking open-ended MV thing going on but in the form of a puzzle platformer.

No Dignity posted:

Steam Tags will let you search for 'open world' 'rpg' 'anime' and bring back Dark Souls 3, it really needs much higher thresholds for relevance for to produce garbage results

Kind of a bad example because Dark Souls 3 easily fits into those criteria.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 23, 2022

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It's literally presented as a quote from "Jordan the Wise" which is a weird look if you know anything about Jordan Peterson, actually.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Yeah, that sounds like an Igavania. I used to very staunchly prefer the Metroid half to the vania half of the genre label because of those exact reasons - Metroid doesn't get nearly as bogged down with combat, doesn't rely on questionably designed RPG cruft, and is about exploration first and foremost.

I've since reoriented my understanding of Igavanias around their similarities to Dark Souls; action RPG first, exploration a firm second. And that helped me really get sucked into SotN. But then every subsequent one has its own weird quirks and foibles and I don't think any of them have really managed to actually nail the combat or at least innovate past the same basic action RPG format.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
You can just turn on Covenant of Champions to fix that tho.

But admittedly I don't think anyone ever conclusively datamined to figure out if CoC fucks with drop rates the way it feels like it does...

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Super Metroid is very floaty and the bespoke run button adds additional overhead to the movement, however minor.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

What's up with Teslagrad Remastered? I guess the original came out in 2013, but it feels more recent since I bought it on Switch. Didn't realize it needed a remaster.

Also it's launch-sale 40% off on Steam.

I definitely remember hearing the first game was rough around the edges, particularly the boss fights. If I had to guess, they were already doing work on the sequel so they backported stuff from that to the first game and cleaned it up a bit. Or maybe the Switch version was itself improved from the original and now they brought those changes over.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Circle of the Moon was more enjoyable with the hack that gets rid of the random card drops and just places them in the world to find like any other item.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

NGDBSS posted:

The only problem with that patch is that the summon card is gated behind the entire arena, which is easily the grindiest and most tedious area in an already grindy game. (That said, it's nice that the collection is just a bunch of roms with an attached emulator and a wrapper, so applying romhacks is uncomplicated.)

True. Also the hack can't really fix the fact that the card system is just not all that balanced or thought out. (Though I think I'm an odd one out for preferring HoD's element + subweapon idea over the Soul system.)

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Hot take: I actually kind of like HoD over Aria. Now, to be clear, Aria is unmistakably the all around better game and HoD has issues, but I found Aria just a little too streamlined. And like I said, the magic system in Harmony is more interesting to me than the Soul system.

I still need to get around to Portrait and OoE...

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I feel like AM2R just barely goes over the line with certain excesses, but it's nonetheless a really good game.

Though my actual lukewarm take is that nothing beats the atmosphere of original Metroid 2.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Kurui Reiten posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Metroidvanias don't seem to take nearly enough Metroid into account.

You'll get a million SOTN-likes, with the basic rear end movement abilities and melee attacks. You'll get tons and tons of straight hallways with random enemies, and maybe some minor platforms or something in the way. You'll find a bunch of baubles and crap to make your stats higher.

You almost never get to start one of these games with a peashooter and end up a whirling dervish of destruction, blazing through obstacles and finding interesting hidden tunnels with your power ups. Morph Ball and Speed Booster puzzles are fun, puzzle rooms in general are fun, and being able to shortcut through puzzle rooms later when you get utterly broken items is even more fun. I don't know how devs keep ignoring this stuff, and insist on making games that have less mechanical and platforming depth than Circle of the loving Moon.
:agreed:

I have more appreciation for SotN-likes than I once did thanks to their overlap with Dark Souls, but Metroid is my true love and there's still so painfully few of those.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

SlothfulCobra posted:

The way people look at Super Metroid is always a little confusing to me because the sequence-breaking was largely not an intentional part of the game, so on modern games with thorough bug-testing, there's normally not going to be very much you can mess around with.

Yeah this bugs me a little too. Like, sequence breaks and speedrun tricks are cool, don't get me wrong, but they never really factored in to what I like and actually get out of those games.

Everybody's always hype for the big skips meanwhile I'm over here quietly rooting for the artfully designed intended route. :shobon:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Penguin Patrol posted:

This is the part I have issue with, I haven't seen any objective design flaws listed. You've listed some elements you didn't like that I really enjoyed engaging with. Feel free to have opinions about the design choices, but have enough self-awareness to realize they're just your personal preferences.

No, you see, you're just getting histrionic because you don't understand it's okay to like bad games.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The Alwa's games stand out on account of coming from totally different points of reference than most MVs. The store page for the first game cites Battle of Olympus and Solstice, and there's gotta be some Legacy of the Wizard in there too.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Tbh, it's less interesting than it sounds.

But also I guess fwiw I was pretty cool on Bloodstained. It wasn't bad, mind, just very middle of the road. I think a sequel would really nail it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

sudonim posted:

Hard disagree. The way the levels in bloodstained were structured I started to expect something like the big fuckin jump ability from Symphony of the Night so when I got world flip instead I had kind of a mind blown moment.

Even though it's a 2d game it takes place in a fully rendered 3d environment and I don't think the ability would have been technologically possible otherwise.

My problem is that its actual implementation falls flat. With how kooky an idea it is you'd think it would radically recontextualize the entire game world but in truth you only need it in a small handful of spots so you can slide under something and one or two key spots that need big ups. The game really needed rooms that responded to it or actual puzzles that took advantage of it.

The game also just isn't long or big enough so it doesn't take much more time to get the actual big up ability. And two other key powerups can cover the "I need to go through this narrow space" problem. The progression is inelegant and lacks a good payoff for several of the abilities.

Ironically where it really shines (and I'd frequently forget you could even do) is in boss fights since many don't really know what to do about it.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Sep 24, 2023