Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

ultrafilter posted:

Dungeon Munchies is sitting at 97% positive based on ~4700 reviews.

This game is quite fun and has stellar writing. The actual metroidvania elements are pretty light though. In fact, I did not like the gameplay all that much. The writing and art did enough to make me really like it overall.

lih posted:

have there been any good metroidvanias released this year, i haven't even really heard of any recent ones get much attention so i have no idea if there's some hidden gems i've totally missed or something

I loved "Blast brigade vs the legion of Dr Cread"
Fun characters, extensive open world, sometimes quite challenging platforming.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

A Sometimes Food posted:

Ghost Song, one of the first kickstarter metroidvanias from way back in 2013 is finally releasing in a few hours. The demo from last year was pretty good, anyone getting it?

I tried it for a few hours. Seems solid, so far. There is a weirdly useless sprint upgrade which takes a second to warm up, drains your stamina, is barely faster than regular running and massively outclassed by repeated use of the dash, which you already have at that point. I hope that has further upgrades to make it at least a bit worthwhile. I've barely seen any story at this point.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I'm sort of excited for this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wafFds3Ppb0&t=1s

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
In case you don't know. The resting potions in after image let you teleport to any confluence you've seen at any point. Honestly, that is so much better that I don't even get what you'd want to use the major conferences for teleporting. Sure those potions cost 150 dew, but that's well worth the price.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Okay, I got the final endings in Afterimage now. Beautiful game, the controls felt well, but combat felt uninspired and many of the boss battles are way easier to damage race then doing actual attacks and evading. Especially since some of that stuff is barely avoidable depending on random chance. Also, as mentioned earlier, the NPC quests are often just randomly searching the whole giant map until you see a person again and the main quest doesn't really give a lot of indication in which order you're supposed to do stuff. Quasi-essential movement abilities are sometimes in random side nooks where you can miss them, until you hit a roadblock later on. Also the menu management and sheer amount of equipment clutter is a bit annoying.

That being said, I did enjoy the game. In many ways, it felt like a somewhat worse Aeterna Noctis, which is among my favorite metroidvanias.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

ilmucche posted:

"I played (game name). It didn't grab me."

There, it's not needlessly contrarion.

Liar! If you had truly played (game name) you would have been blown away because literally everything (game name) does is perfect. Let me get into a bit more detail starting chrologically. First of all...

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I liked and finished thise ridiculous platforming challenges. :colbert:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I played the early access some time ago. It was a nice early effort, but it felt like it was missing a hook at that time. I'm interested to see how it worked out.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I'm a few hours into Tevi, and I really enjoy it so far. The battle and exploring mechanics are fun and even though I don't understand the language, the Japanese voicecast is quite expressive.

If you are vaguely interested, they have a excessively long demo on their steam page. Like, I stopped partway, because it felt like it was spoiling to many locations by that point.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I'll try out the demo once it finished downloading. Why are even demos of 2d platformers 10GB these days?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Okay I finished the demo. That was joyous. The movement and the combat are just so smooth. Everything feels right. I feel like they spent a lot of time making minimal adjustment some frames to make it feel just right. You can sprint through a trapped corridor and it just clicks as one continuous motion. It's also quite pretty.
I didn't have the game on my radar at all, but the demo really sold me on it. Will be while until I buy it though.

TeaJay posted:

the 60€ price tag

For what it's worth, it says 50€ on Uplay. Might be a regional pricing thing. But I want to know how many hours I'll get to spend with it before I drop 50 for it.

ImpAtom posted:

I will say, if nothing else, Lost Crown has one feature I hope to see every future Metroidvania steal. By pressing down on the D-pad you can instantly take a picture of your current location and pin it to the map, so if you encounter something you can't get past yet you can just snip a pic and then check it out later once you get new tools. It's small but genuinely a fantastic addition.
Yeah I was about to gush about that. Why isn't that a thing in other games? Some Metroidvanias don't even have any markers whatsoever.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

moosferatu posted:

Sounds great. How long is it epic exclusive? A year?

Technically, it's not epic exclusive if they also sell it on their personal app, right?
It's just barred from steam and I guess other minor sellers during this interval.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I used it to play Fenyx Rising and had fun with that game and unlike epic the app is still on my computer. :shrug:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

People wouldn't even recognize it as a metroidvania if they hadn't put the genre right in the title like that.

Always those lazy game developers who can't come up with a better title than just stating the genre like that.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Yeah, those modern Rayman games were also great. And the movement felt similarly just correct.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JV-PB-Kj38
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqBnU3W03ZM

As a company Ubisoft seems like garbage, but they have produced some legitimately great stuff over the years.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 12, 2024

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Alternatively, if you upgrade the charm, the range extends. This might keep your enemy inside.

I've stumbled onto a side-quest breaking bug with a certain bird and am a bit annoyed now. I wont get to continue playing until next weekend and I hope they patch this until then. Apparently that bug is quite common.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

abraham linksys posted:

i really hate the Parry Dimension and think i would have beaten it by now if not for that.

Once you get it that part of the fight is trivial. Just always move a little to the left and right and the guys from the top always miss. You can also hit them once or twice in that time. The horizontal once can just be jumped over, or slid under without much hassle. Doing it that way just feels like a short rhythm game. The fact that you're calling it parry dimension sounds like you're making it harder for yourself.
I beat that boss on hard after around 5-10 tries and by the end I wasn't even hit during that phase. I think the main thing is just to learn the patterns and to not overextend your attacks. None of them are particularly hard to avoid if you know their deal.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jan 22, 2024

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Yeah, you're probably doing something inefficient or giving yourself less time than necessary.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Falcon2001 posted:

Yeah, even in the souls games I think the bosses are the least interesting part, although I think I'm in the minority.

Personally, I agree. In Elden Ring, I loved running around and exploring those twisty paths, or running around some rooftops to some obscure ends.
Boss fights always felt like a roadblock I didn't care for so I tried to do them in the simplest and cheesiest ways possible.
In the end, I reached the final boss, felt it took way to long to fight and didn't even bother to retry it after I barely lost the first time. The "story" felt poo poo too, so I just felt like I had found everything I cared for in the game at that point and had no urge to complete it.
By contrast, I spent quite a while on the optional superboss, before that. That felt just way more fun to fight.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 4, 2024

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Barudak posted:

They patched Prince of Persia to fix the bugged chest so I can resume recommending the game!

They also fixed the parrot sidequest.
I just sort of finished the game. I completed the map, but when I saw the final boss I just felt like I was done with the game and just did not feel like fighting him fairly. Before even trying it out I dropped all difficulty sliders and just wailed on him. That was fun in it's own way.

I enjoyed the game and actually found the bossfights kind of fun. They were less of a mandatory annoying roadblick than in some other games. Elden Ring was awful with regards to bosses.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Item Getter posted:

What other games in this genre really excel at atmosphere and cool moody exploration like Hollow Knight? Like the feeling of getting lost in a huge and weird world. Ideally ones which are a bit open/non-linear.

If you're specifically looking for that, Aeterna Noctis is good. The world is really extensive and the map is super pretty. Similarly to Afterimage, I'd say the writing is the biggest flaw of that game.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

TeaJay posted:

Every review of Aeterna Noctis says it's basically super hard and has hardcore puzzle platforming and that turns me off. I stopped playing Grime because the platforming was getting too difficult, that's kinda one thing I don't need in my 'vania. It's fine for optional challenges and stuff but if it's required for progress then it's likely not meant for me. (I did finish HK white palace back in the day, but found that was not as difficult as envisioned)

There's an easier mode if that influences your opinion.
They added that one in a later update, so it's probably not in the reviews.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

TeaJay posted:

What does this mode change then? Enemy difficulty is easy to grasp, but how about the hardcore platforming? Would be interested to try though.

I think it adds some safe platforms which were previously not there and removes some spikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

ullerrm posted:

Started in on Aeterna Noctis, and got an unexpected achievement for beating Garibaldi without the arrow of light. Is that not intended to be the second boss?

You can do various routes which would give you various upgrades in different orders. And there are always some achievements to beat certain bosses without some upgrade which would make it quite a bit easier.
I don't remember how I did that back then, but at least I am certain that you could have found that before.