Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Mode 7 posted:

Thank you for succumbing to peer pressure. :hai:

To kick it off, what’s everyone’s favourite short non-Metroid, non-Castlevania Metroidvania. Is there anything perfectly suited to blasting through in a cozy afternoon or weekend?
Either Touhou Luna Nights or Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth. And if you don't know anything about the properties being used, don't worry - neither did I, the games provide you with enough info to go off of IMO.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, I beat it shortly after launch on Switch, the game was good enough on its own to shine through the Switch port problems, but I recently bought it on Steam just to have a version that didn't have all the problems. I'll play through it again on my Steam Deck eventually.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Blue Labrador posted:

I love this genre! There's supposed to be some Touhou fangame that was like, a sleeper killer Metroidvania, right? I don't remember where I heard that, but I distinctly remember someone recommending me to check it out on Steam.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

They also made SMT Synchronicity, the Metroidvania where you played as the Jack Bros. that Atlus released as a free promotion in Japan before Strange Journey Redux came out. That one's harder to find these days though, Atlus took it off their site IIRC and it only has a fan translation.

It's interesting to see how the basic mechanics of Deedlit evolved from Synchronicity, though, the dual-element system in the former is basically ripped straight from the latter.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I wasn't really playing either Deedlit or Luna Nights for the plots, but I felt the game gave me enough information to comprehend the basics of it at least. Like "the dragon was probably someone they fought with" or "this character seems like Deedlit's rival". I'm sure you'll get a lot more out of the game of you're a fan of the anime, but I enjoyed it well enough.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I got Blasphemous really cheap in a Fanatical bundle, tried it out real quick, died to the first enemy (which is a boss) because I had no idea how to play yet, and put it down. I haven't entirely given up on it yet, but it's not a very good first impression, tbh, and kinda reinforces that Souls-style games are really not for me.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Eh, like I said, it's a really bad first impression of a game when the literal first enemy in the game, seconds after the "press [BUTTON] to do X" prompts that tell you how to jump and attack, is a boss fight you're expected to win. Feels like I'm going to be spending a lot of time bashing my face into brick walls and that's not why I play video games. Also part of the reason I lost was I felt like the game was dropping inputs? Like it wouldn't always attack when I hit the button.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Also I've heard the game has platforming over instant death which in a metroidvania is :barf:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Mummy Demastered? Yeah, I've heard good things about it and it's made by Wayforward. Picked it up in one of those Fanatical bundles, so I'll get around to it at some point.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I've never minded going through old areas in a Metroidvania, enemies from areas older than the previous one or two tend to explode when you look at them funny, and unlike a turn-based JRPG there's no separate "battle screen" with its own intros and end screens to break up the flow.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Manager Hoyden posted:

Other than this thread, how do you folks keep up with metroidvania releases and news? I popped my head in here because it's one of my favorite genres and I'm seeing a bunch of stuff I haven't even heard of. I want to be aware of and have a big important opinion about every game in this genre past and future
Most of my Gaming News™ comes from either this forum or Siliconera these days.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

If you're finding it inconsistent it's probably because you're not waiting long enough to hit the jump button, there's a window when you start descending from your jump that's the time to jump again. Unless it's that you keep popping out of spin jump, in which case you're probably pushing Up or Down on the D-Pad at some point.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

You definitely did play the best of the GBA Castlevania games, but I had enough fun with the other two to justify the purchase of all three.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The widget in the Advance Collection made the grind a bit more tolerable at least by telling you if an enemy has a card to drop.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Sakurazuka posted:

I was just like 'no point trying to warp if I haven't found another warp point'. If you try that in SotN or CotM it'll just warp you to the same room again.
IIRC the first warp room you find in SOTN is on the outer wall by the library, and using it takes you back to the one near the entrance. And while you have been there before, you couldn't get into the warp room because there's a wall blocking it that you have to open from the side of the warp room. Similarly, in Aria, the first warp room takes you back to the entrance, but you couldn't get there right off the bat because you need the double jump soul to get to it.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

RBA Starblade posted:

I don't know, I didn't know anything about it at all and I figured it out pretty easily

An immortal elf outlived her mortal friends (and foes) from fun adventurin' days and a demon is preying on her depression about it, trapping her in a nightmare. She eventually figures this out and uses the experience to try and get some closure.

I thought it was pretty good, if short and easy, which is fine - the game's magic system lends itself to snapping encounters in half. You'll beat it in four hours tops. I enjoyed it for what it was on Game Pass
Yeah, I know basically nothing about the Record of Lodoss War anime and was able to get the gist of the plot easily enough. Saying it's "incomprehensible" is nuts.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Serephina posted:

edit: Removed a lovely post. Please stop comparing everything to dark souls, that's all I ask.
Extremely :same: , I haven't even played a Dark Souls and I'm still very sick of the series, DS/Bloodborne/Elden Ring have invaded all gaming discourse recently.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Well after you fight The Son, you have to fight The Father.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, Konami has been strange in their apparent refusal to bring Symphony to PC or Switch. You can say it's because they used the PlayStation 4 PSP emulator which is proprietary for the collection with Rondo, but they've proven willing to hire M.2 for the Advance Collection and Symphony by itself is on mobile devices so :shrug: . The only thing I can think of is that they have some oddly restrictive exclusivity contract with Sony for the double pack in order to use the PSP emulator and they don't want to release Symphony without Rondo for some reason.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Looks like space bar?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Please, IGA, just give us Bloodstained 2! We're begging to be able to give you our money!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Speaking as someone who beat it on Switch, if you really need portable Bloodstained and the Switch is your only option it's playable. If you can play the game any other way, though, I'd recommend that. It's got basically every performance issue under the sun; framerate problems, input lag, long load times, freezing, graphical glitches, crashing, etc.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

ImpAtom posted:

I will say, if nothing else, Lost Crown has one feature I hope to see every future Metroidvania steal. By pressing down on the D-pad you can instantly take a picture of your current location and pin it to the map, so if you encounter something you can't get past yet you can just snip a pic and then check it out later once you get new tools. It's small but genuinely a fantastic addition.
Wait, this is a 2D platformer where you can't use the D-Pad for movement? You have to use the analog stick like some sort of barbarian? :yikes:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

FireWorksWell posted:

That's how I play all my metroidvanias
:frogout:

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah like Metroid Dread
Sounds like a bad game tbh. :v:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Ok yeah, that's legitimately pretty cool.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The Team Ladybug Metroidvanias (Touhou Luna Nights and Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth) both have levels, and Deedlit has gear, though they're not a huge indicator of raw power and you're still going to have to engage with the games' main gimmick (time powers in Luna Nights and elemental changing in Deedlit). Timespinner is probably the most Iga Metroidvania I've played outside of the games Iga has made himself.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Koburn posted:

I wouldn't recommend Deedlit. It's extremely short and the story doesn't make any sense unless you're all caught up on your Record of Lodoss War lore.
All of the Team Ladybug Metroidvanias are pretty short, including SMT Synchronicity Prologue, if you've played that one. As for the plot, I know basically nothing about the Record of Lodoss War series and I managed to get the gist of it pretty quickly. Elf lady is mourning the human guy she loved and outlived so hard she has a dream about being trapped in Castlevania with him and the other people she knew at that time in her life. Maybe there's some Deep Lore™ that I'm missing by not watching the anime or whatever, but there wasn't a time where I was going "what the gently caress is going on?", the plot's not that complex.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 13, 2024

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

guppy posted:

I thought Mummy Demastered was too punishing, I didn't like it and didn't get far. Way too annoying to progress.
:same:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Serephina posted:

I had a long rant about that tag, prior to playing the Souls games. After binging DS1-3 in the past two years, I can now revise my opinion to... a long rant still, those comparisons are goddamn stupid. It basically boils down to a bunch of morons who've played only a single video game in their life seeing the save/heal/respawn mechanic and hooting like a bunch of monkeys.

They are nothing alike.
One thing that has fatigued me a lot on the Dark Souls series (and I haven't even played any of the games!) is that there is a subset of Souls fans who are absolutely obsessed with the games and try to bring discussion of any video game to a comparison to Dark Souls and it's become very obnoxious IMO. I loving love Chrono Trigger and SMT, but not every game is Chrono Trigger/SMT and that's a good thing. I don't draw comparisons to those games when someone is playing Mario or Zelda. It would be nice to have a discussion of a video game once in a while without someone going "well Dark Souls does it THIS way" or "Taurus Demon be like" :byodood:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

On Steam Deck or if you have an 8BitDo/Xbox elite controller you can just bind R3 to one of the back paddles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Ciaphas posted:

this is the stupidest slapfight i've seen in recent memory