Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Mode 7 posted:

Is there anything perfectly suited to blasting through in a cozy afternoon or weekend?
Timespinner is on the shorter side, but quite good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Plebian Parasite posted:

What's the best upgrade in a Metroidvania?
Does hyper beam count?

Honestly I think it's double jump. It's a staple for sure, but so satisfying once you get it.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned yet the game that invented most of the key bits of the genre and may be the first metroidvania game.
Zelda isn't a platformer, unless you count Zelda II, or the side-scrolling sections of Link's Awakening, or the Super Metroid parts of the LttP+SM randomizer.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

S.J. posted:

Sure, but metroidvania's don't need to be platformers at all.
I'm not trying to be a linguistic prescriptivist, but both of the archetypal games of the genre are platformers and the term certainly historically has been used as an alternative to "exploratory platformers" as a genre. Or to quote further down on Wikipedia from the OP:

Wikipedia posted:

The term 'Metroidvania' is most often used to refer to a platforming game that features a single large, interconnected map, generally with discrete rooms or sections.
If folks agree to call OG Zelda a Metroidvania, like, fine, but that's certainly an expansion of the genre relative to what it's been traditionally. I mean we could've called it Melda or Zeldroid all the way back in 1987.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Also most Zelda games follow a similar format: an overworld with gated regions that contain dungeons with progression items. Dungeons, once you're able to access them, are intended to be completed in their entirety before progressing in the overworld. There's rarely a need to "go back" to a previous dungeon in Zelda for optional items and I can't think of a case where you need to for progression.

I suppose Zelda randomizers do shake up the format though by placing progression items in different locations from where you need to use them.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Oh it's October again, I should play more CV2.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Feels Villeneuve posted:

"Is zelda an RPG" is a constant flamewar lol
The problem with RPG as a genre is that it's really hard to come up with a consistent definition for it that includes all the archetypal games (Wizardry, Ultima, etc.) and subgenres (CRPG, JRPG, ARPG, SRPG, etc.) but also excludes games that have never identified or otherwise been marketed as RPGs. Like I think there's arguments that the Zelda series as a whole falls somewhere in the RPG spectrum, but Nintendo has never marketed it as such the way they have Fire Emblem, Xenoblade, or even Pokémon.

Anyways I think that's all a bit academic. As a series, Zelda has such a legacy that it can just be its own thing. When people describe a game as a "Zeldalike" they have a pretty good sense of what the game is about.

Regarding Metroidvanias, I've committed myself to playing through all of Metorid Prime Trilogy in PrimeHack on my Deck for the next few months. I also have Other M working, so I uh, might actually play that after sitting in shrinkwrap for a decade.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Prowler posted:

Edit: Would the original Blaster Master be considered a metroidvania?
It's definitely at least an exploratory platformer. It's a fairly linear game (although, so is Super Metroid's critical path) but it makes you backtrack through the game world a few times to figure out how to progress.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Y'all insane, Ender Lilies was the best Metroidvania of 2021, and that's considering Dread came out a couple of months later.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
So I'm doing my once-a-decade playthrough of Metroid Prime (on the Steam Deck, which is by far the best way to play it and will give the alleged Switch remaster a serious run for its money). Frustrating, each time I play this game I miss one missable scan, so I've never had a 100% scan log. That one mechanic is perhaps the only real flaw of the game.

It's funny, like I don't give two shits about filling out the bestiary in RPGs, but I think since scanning is such a major part of the Prime's early game you get conditioned to wanting to fill out the log book and those ???????s mess with you.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Stat leveling always gives me choice paralysis. Unless you know the game expects you to max out all stats then it's not so bad.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Martman posted:

I think people also attribute too much of Hollow Knight's vague, foreboding storytelling and world-building stuff to Dark Souls when it's just as much inspired by Super Metroid in those ways.
Maybe the atmosphere and some of the unexplained bits like the Wrecked Ship, but otherwise Super Metroid is a direct sequel to Metroid II complete with a flashback-ridden introductory sequence.

Like sure, it's not really clear without reading the manga or whatever exactly why the Chozo left all their stuff there and where they went but the immediate plot with ridley kidnapping the baby is crystal clear.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I kind of want to play Ghost Song but I promised myself to (finally) complete Metroid Prime Trilogy and Other M this year.

I made it through my first run of Sanctuary Fortress which is new material for me.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Forgive me as I actually haven't played much Dark Souls, but is there any ability-based gating in the world design or is it all enemy level-based "discouragement"?

Dandara was the first 2D Souslike Metroidvania I played and while it was pretty apparent in the design of the original portion, the free expansion that added something like 50% more content straight up references Dark Souls, Super Metroid, and SotN.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

What sucks is that I went into his area while I had over 1000 geo elsewhere from when I died that I should have collected beforehand. At this point in my game, 1000 is still a lot for me.
You should be putting that much geo in the bank.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Anyone play Dark Light? It came out in September (was in early access before?), somehow ended up on my wishlist, and is in the week long sale. I can't find any reviews on it and it seems like the usual suspects haven't played it either.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Fuzz posted:

It's self insert fan fiction about him being a COOL AND FAMOUS SCIENTIST that then becomes badass savior Jesus for an alien race.
Nothing that Tom has said actually suggests this. Is this just your hot take or is there an actual basis for it?

If anything, Tom has been pretty humble about his indy success. Which I'm sure is related to his son being born shortly after release and his aforementioned health complications requiring expensive, life-long care.

In other words, the guy is literally just trying to provide for his family.

Velius posted:

but in addition to having his son born with severe issues due to complications during pregnancy
It's sadder than that. His wife had a normal pregnancy and birth. His son developed jaundice shorty after which went unnoticed by his pediatricians and he developed kernicterus as a result. It was preventable, but as new parents Tom and his wife didn't know better, and the people who should've-known-better failed at their jobs.

As a parent, that has to be crushing though, and I don't doubt that the sum of his experiences has informed his recent game development.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
The Messenger did well on the Switch since it got promoted in a couple of Nintendo Directs. At least, it did well enough that Sabotage had a successful Kickstarter for Sea of Stars.

I think the consensus is that the stage-based 8-bit part is great but the 16-bit backtracking parts is where it falls. Also people don't look kindly on the Jordan Peterson reference.

Personally I enjoyed the game enough to 100% it. It may not be the best Metroidvania I've played, but it's unique and worth a look. Also from the interviews of the Sabotage folks they sound really genuine and passionate of their work. I don't really get the Peterson thing myself, but I think it's a stretch to cancel the Sabotage guys because of it.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I think the Peterson thing is that one of The Messenger's cabinet rants presents a philosophical argument that's attributed to him, which itself is inoffensive, but since Peterson has made hateful statements in other contexts people have canceled him, and thus, have transitively canceled anything related to him.

I mean, I get it, some people are beyond redemption. Like I will never engage with J. K. Rowling's works while she continues to regularly make hateful statements on Twitter. But I also acknowledge that Harry Potter itself serves as a vehicle for self-discovery for many (marginalized) people and I don't judge their continued engagement with it.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I wouldn't say AV1 is quite as opaque as OG Metroid but it feels close, which was a big part of the charm for me. It wouldn't be quite the same love letter to Metroid if it kept you on rails the whole time.

I'd agree though that AV2 has much more intuitive exploration.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

moosferatu posted:

To me, perhaps worst of all, the story goes absolutely no where. No, I didn't collect every last tablet, but I got the majority of them, and looking around online later it doesn't seem like I missed any major plot points.
AV2 is basically the origin story for Ophelia and the Rusalki, while also expanding on the fate of Dr. Hammond (Trace's lab colleague) . If AV is intended to be a trilogy, then AV2 does do a bit of plot setup that would presumably be a jumping-off point for AV3. Although, if you didn't like AV1 or follow its lore much, then the above is probably too subtle to be of much interest.

Beyond that, AV2 is a deeper exploration of Tom's themes of life/death/afterlife beyond the obvious "guy gets cloned a bunch" from AV1. Considering Tom's own challenges, I think that does make AV2's plot exploration deeply personal for him. Again, AV isn't a series for everyone, but I do think artistic works from a sole creator are quite interesting on their own.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
AV2 can definitely be played in isolation, and for the most part its story doesn't intersect with AV1 much except towards the very end when there's some (implied) character reveals.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I've been playing through Metroid Prime 3: Corruption on my Steam Deck (and the rest of Metroid Prime Trilogy), and while I've owned this since it came out in 2007 I've never gotten around to really playing it since I wanted to finish Echoes first and it took me over a decade to slog my way through that game.

Anyways, Corruption is ... great!? Unless there's something dreadfully wrong with the back half of the game I'm actually really liking this. They addressed a lot of the issues I had with Echoes and even the first Prime.

I can understand some of the criticism levied against Corruption, but the general consensus would indicate that it's the worst of the trilogy and I think this is better than Echoes. At least, I don't feel like I'm slogging my way through it.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Hypermode is so broken I love it.

I kept getting electrocuted by those fly-by guys on the ziplines in Elysia, then I remembered that hypermode gives you 10 seconds of invulnerability at no cost as long as you don't shoot--problem solved!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Rondo of Blood is sorely missing from the current Castlevania collections. It is part of the PS4 Requiem collection, but as I understand that's a PCE emulator running inside a PSP emulator and thus, bugs. The original Chi no Rondo is available on the PC Engine/TurboGrafx/CoreGrafx Minis, and as a classicvania title you don't really need to play a localized version of it. That said, the minis might be hard to find now.

That said, there is a patched PCE ISO floating around out there that includes the English localization from the Dracula X Chronicles along with the updated German voice intro. At the moment, this is probably the definitive way to play Rondo of Blood.

Limited Run Games announced an official localized Turbo Duo release of Rondo of Blood back in 2021, but nothing has come of it yet. Which is a shame as it would be an instant purchase for me.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I have mixed feelings about Dread. Well, both of the Mercury Steam titles really.

One thing I really appreciate about it though is that there's a sequence break that doesn't require any particular skill, but rather careful tracking of the map and your abilities and backtracking to earlier areas as soon as possible. If you do, you'll stumble across the orange teleporter which leads you to an item (pulse radar) you're intended to find later. The purpose of that item though is to facilitate searching for additional hidden items/paths. So the game explicitly rewards you for playing it breadth-first search. I thought it was really clever.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

RBA Starblade posted:

The EMMIs really kill any desire to replay Dread for me. Their whole design just kind of sucks all the momentum out of the game for me.
The EMMIs are, fine, I guess. But the thing is that Dread would've been just as good if not better if you just straight up removed them, which given that they are a significant part of the game's design, story, marketing, and namesake, that's not a good outcome.

Conversely if you removed the SA-X from Fusion it would've changed the game's atmosphere tremendously.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Manager Hoyden posted:

Other than this thread, how do you folks keep up with metroidvania releases and news?
There used to be a website, The Metroidvania Review, that had good coverage but the guy who ran it got burnt out and now the site is dead. Which is a shame because it still had good info even for old releases.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Super Metroid does have flawed controls.

The fundamental issue is that you have to do all three combinations of jump+shoot, run+shoot, and run+jump in different circumstances, so with the all three of those on actions on face buttons you either have to claw grip, piano grip, or have a large but dexterous thumb.

With the in-game remapping options you can make it a bit better by putting run on L, but since you can't remap the aim up/down buttons you lose the dedicated aim down--which is probably the least useful button, but it has its uses. If you're playing in an emulator and have the option to rebind controls that way, that's obviously better.

Now, the physics may be floaty, but they do work very well. I suppose some folks prefer Zero Mission style wall jumps and the addition of ledge grabs though. Can't have everything.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

So It Goes posted:

If anyone’s interested in a new metroidvania, Lone Fungus is quite good.
I decided to check this out today as it has a 20% launch discount. However, it was even cheaper to pick up the Pixelated Metroidvanias bundle since I already owned Haiku, the Robot from a recent Humble Bundle. Really love that Steam/Humble synergy that makes games even cheaper.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I 100% the Messenger and the DLC some years ago. My PTSD trauma was 8-bit Cloud Ruins.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
What's up with Teslagrad Remastered? I guess the original came out in 2013, but it feels more recent since I bought it on Switch. Didn't realize it needed a remaster.

Also it's launch-sale 40% off on Steam.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

John Murdoch posted:

Or maybe the Switch version was itself improved from the original and now they brought those changes over.
Yeah but they also just published the remaster on the Switch too.

Basically my entire LRG physical Switch collection is invalidating itself. I guess I should sell it all while it's still hot.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I'm so behind on my Metroidvania backlog. I'm stuck on Other M. Not that I'm stuck in Other M, I just can't muster the patience to play it.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

GrandpaPants posted:

Ender Lilies is on sale. How did that end up being? I recall hearing that the combat didn't quite feel right from a few people, but I dunno if that's more of a personal preference vs. a fundamental game design flaw.
I think the criticism levied at the game is, fair, but I also had a blast with it. It's a very atmospheric game and I got hooked.

Also, I found the bludgeoning with Gerrod's hammer to be extremely satisfying, so that might be part of why I liked it.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

If I get stuck it's always because I forget that the first warp room takes you somewhere else even though it's the only one you've found, unlike how they work in every other game.
Like you walk into the room and don't take the warp? Never occurred to me because you're pretty much railroaded into it.

I always liked how HoD does the bait-and-switch thing where you think you're traversing only one castle initially, and then you find out that not only are there two castles but you've actually been making your way through both of them. I do recognize though that it falls flat when you explore the same sections in the "other" castle though as they're generally empty.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Sway Grunt posted:

I'm almost 10 hours into Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night and I still somehow have no idea if the game is actually good.
I played the first half of the game on Switch and then, stopped. It feels awful on the Switch. I recently loaded my save on my Steam Deck and it plays much better there, but I haven't really picked it up again yet.

You should play some Castlevania.

FunkyFjord posted:

This reminds me, I'm occassionally playing through The Messenger after seeing it talked up here some weeks ago and that game feels excellent.... The later half of the game is feeling more like a slog
I think the fundamental problem here is that the level design that caters towards the Ninja Gaiden-style doesn't translate well to search action traversal. The Sunken Shrine though--which you only access during the back half anyways--is pretty good.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Schwarzwald posted:

I don't beleive that. Super Metroid is a very intentially designed game that actively teaches the player how to sequence break.
Unless it's written in some interview on shmupulations, the impression I have is that SM is very intentionally designed for casual playthroughs and they intentionally give you tools to sequence break, but they didn't necessarily know how players would respond beyond that. In contrast, they put paths in ZM that can only be achieved by sequence breaking.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

bawk posted:

Having just finished AV1 when I started AV2, I completely agree to a point. It felt much worse to have a lovely axe/boomerang and little movement. I ended up really enjoying AV2 a lot more because of the mobility. AV1 starts you with the gun and some basic mobility, and by the end you're moving at a pretty good clip, but if AV goes from a 3/10 to a 7/10 on the movement scale, AV2 feels like it goes from a 1.5-2/10 to a 9/10. 10 being, like, Screw Attack/Space Jump/Speed Boost or literal flight.
Narratively it makes sense too. AV1 essentially starts in media res in this technologically-evolved otherworld where guns are laying around because your evil clone left them there, while AV2 takes place much earlier in the timeline, where your character starts in essentially 2D Earth and travels to a 2D near-Earth. The pickaxe is a narratively-appropriate first weapon to come across. And yes, the mobility improvements are very satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Soricidus posted:

What’s your favorite traversal ability?
The shift key. (DOOM is a Metroidbrainia.)