Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It has some nice remixes of the music and you're not a real Castlevania fan until you've experienced the Drac fight in Dracula X lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The closest I can think of are the Souls style ones where everything stays dead until you hit a bonfire equivalent.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah that made me stop playing the game lol not even sure if there's a way to save him.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Fuzz posted:

The first one is the only game I've ever refunded from Steam. I have played every Souls game but that game was just asinine the way it shortened your health bar with every death and then you had to find a limited number of shrine statues and a rare material to restore your health bar. It's like on top of dying, hey let's kick you in the balls and make it even harder because now you've got less health, gently caress you. :jerkbag:

Very much felt like some fan modder effort of "let's make this extra hardcore!" And it was just lovely and overly difficult for the sake of spiting the audience.

That's not how it works you just pick up your blood stain like any souls...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well it also includes Dracula XX/Vampires Kiss lol

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If I get stuck it's always because I forget that the first warp room takes you somewhere else even though it's the only one you've found, unlike how they work in every other game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Like you walk into the room and don't take the warp? Never occurred to me because you're pretty much railroaded into it.

I always liked how HoD does the bait-and-switch thing where you think you're traversing only one castle initially, and then you find out that not only are there two castles but you've actually been making your way through both of them. I do recognize though that it falls flat when you explore the same sections in the "other" castle though as they're generally empty.

I was just like 'no point trying to warp if I haven't found another warp point'. If you try that in SotN or CotM it'll just warp you to the same room again.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

owl_pellet posted:

There's a new Humble Metroidvania Bundle out:

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/must-play-metroidvania

I've played Hollow Knight, Blasphemous, and Bloodstained and they are great of course. Heard good things about Rain World. Not sure about the others. $15 for seven games and two coupons.

Rain World is extremely love it or hate it

Also not a metroidvania in the slightest

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's basically a 16-bit version of the two Curse of the Moon games, distinct levels with secrets you can go back for.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2SHWfj7jfw

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Fuzz posted:

The only objectively bad design is mandatory knock back on hit which you can't recover from in any way coupled with instant death pits.

What if you got an upgrade to make pits not instant death

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You can just do whatever, beat the game then go and do what you need to do for the true ending if you don't wanna look stuff up from the start. It's way less of a chore now than at launch.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'd say the inability to get the best ending without a guide is a core part of the genre :v:

At least you can just reload your save and do what you need, Minoria was extremely annoying because once you got one ending that was it, the only way to get the others was to start all over again.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Fuzz posted:

The fact that most of the abilities aren't used or just thrown in at the end without any rhyme or reason to how and when you get them.

Ah well

That's because Blasphemous isn't a metroidvania

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

King of Solomon posted:

This reminds me, I've been meaning to try Minoria again. The last time I played that game, I kinda struggled, though. Any advice?

No sorry I played it when it first came out and have no memory of anything other than the ending bit

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That was the main thing that annoyed me about the first one, bosses went on way too long for 'you literally die to anything' to be remotely fun.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

SkeletonHero posted:

Pressed down + attack in mid-air.

Lol

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Serephina posted:

Oh Jesus Christ the penultimate (?) boss of Blasphemous 2 has an intro speech, which he repeats on retries, and has another upon entering his second form.

It's unskippable.

Yeah I just cheesed that and the final boss with time stop. gently caress anyone who puts an unskippable intro before the hardest boss in the game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's a bit rough around the edges but the atmosphere is almost unmatched and that's good enough for me.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Super Metroid came out in 1994 actually

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I figured you could break them but didn't because who knows if it's good or bad in that type of game

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm gonna get as soon as I have actual internet again :(

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I thought Salt & Sacrifice was very deliberately not a Metroidvania? Like I'm planning to skip it entirely for that reason.

Sanctuary should be skipped for the crime of not having a map in a 2D exploration game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's a couple of bits early game where if you go the wrong way those Cthulhu looking monsters will murder you but that lasts about as long as it takes to get some decent gear or you stumble across one of the 20 different ways to break the game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It might be an issue if Blasphemous 2 was in any way difficult (other than that one boss near the end)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nostalgamus posted:

For most of Blasphemous 2, I found the bosses fairly easy, even killing several of them on the first try. And then I reached Eviterno, who is basically supercharged Chrisanta from Blasphemous 1 straight off the bat. I feel like I'm getting killed without making any progress - even when I know all his attacks I can't see the coming. It feels like he keeps teleporting on top of me and then immediately hitting me before I can react.

If you want to cheese him the time stop spell, unsurprisingly, wrecks him, paired with anything that regents your magic meter quicker.

If you found it of course.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

TeaJay posted:

TBH I don't mind the look and I can buy it's fun, but the 60€ price tag and the reviewer warning that "Yes, there will be a lot of hardcore platforming and spike rooms" is a bit of a turn-off. Insta-kill spike hardcore precision platformering rooms (and challenge rooms) are not my favourite 'vania content.

Just being true to the source

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Commander Keene posted:

Wait, this is a 2D platformer where you can't use the D-Pad for movement? You have to use the analog stick like some sort of barbarian? :yikes:

Yeah like Metroid Dread

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just did the big forest boss, was I missing something because it seemed like one of her attacks was completely unavoidable with the skills I had. The one where she moves across the screen on the wolf spinning her spear around in a big circle it was too high to jump over, you couldn't dodge underneath and was red so you couldn't parry it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

God drat it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Am I missing something with the witch time charm, seems like a no brainer but when you use it it changes your attack into a shove that just knocks them out of the bubble making the slowdown pointless

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just did a ridiculous spinning blade trap room that took me like an hour to get right and the chest had a costume in. And by costume I mean pallet swap.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah I reloaded my last save after that happened to me just in case lol

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not a fan of a lot of bosses in PoP where the punishment for getting hit by certain attacks is watching a 30 second unskippable cutscene of them doing a raging demon on you.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

From memory none of those needed split second timing just sensible placement of each copy. But I can't remember any of the actual solutions so lol

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Honestly I prooooobably like Prime 2 a little better than 1 just because it's not so much of a pushover (at least before they moved all the difficulty settings down one) and the bleak atmosphere. 3 is by far the worst though.

They're all classics though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cemetry Gator posted:

The boss battles in the new Prince of Persia are the absolute worst part about the game. They’re just obnoxious at times. I wish I had a better sense of when to parry because it feels so oblique. Obviously I’m doing it at the wrong time, but am I too late, am I too early? The game won’t tell me!

You quickly dont need to worry about that because 95% of moves will be red unparryable ones and the only thing you can parry will be a single obvious 'parry me now for massive damage one'.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Astlibra is not a metroidvania, it's closer to Ys 3 or some other obscure old Japanese PC games. I was enjoying by that point so if you're not it may not be for you.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Vergil turns up after like five hours lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No Dignity posted:

The game is heavily built around dodge and punish combat, the level of difficultly is relatively high, the game throws way, way too many enemies at you to the point that it becomes a slog and the first boss is just Vicar Amelia ripped straight from Bloodborne and the aesthetic continues from there. If you don't like Soulslike metroidvanias I couldn't recommend it

Are you mixing Ender Lillies up with Last Faith?