Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Feldegast42 posted:

Oldie but goodie: Knytt Stories.

Its a fairly simple metroidvania which is less an actual game (although the creator made a few levels for it) but rather a level editor. It has a fairly simple but atmospheric art design that people have made a whole lot of content for.

Its also got this gem of a level made for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D83jJgLCyto

Has the Nifflas done much since this? I know there was once commercial Knytt game (which I thought was disappointing) but aside from that I haven't heard anything. It's a shame, because I thought most of his early games were fantastic.

Mode 7 posted:

To kick it off, what’s everyone’s favourite short non-Metroid, non-Castlevania Metroidvania. Is there anything perfectly suited to blasting through in a cozy afternoon or weekend?

Maybe not my favorite, but let me give a few more props to Timespinner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

The correct term is "unlock world", in the vein of "open world" and "linear".

I'm pissed off that I like this.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Dang, I haven't thought about Dust in a hot minute.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Souls games are classicvanias with backtracking. The metroidvanias dumped the earlier emphasis on positioning and having the players commit to attacks.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Kheldarn posted:

Soulslike has come to mean any game that's stupidly hard just to be hard, and where the most commonly accpeted means to progess is to git gud.

Tetris: The Grandmasters is a soulslike.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Cerepol posted:

Dracula X (version of Rondo of Blood) is an okay way to play that game and Rondo is one of the best cvs imo.

Rondo of Blood is great but I respectfully disagree w/r/t Dracula X being "okay."

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I think Iconoclasts does very well in portraying a very weird society with very weird beliefs as it very rapidly starts to collapses in on itself apocalyptically. But the actual plot is a mess, and while (most) characters are strong, the story leans on them a whole hell of a let to support its narrative.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
AM2R is straight up the best 2d Metroid game without "super" in the title.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The GBA and DS Igavania's do have some sequence breaks, but they're mostly a result of bugs and oversight. It's not like Super Metroid, where Samus mostly has free reign of the map, but a first time player is unlikely to realize or take advantage of this.

(Credit to those 'vania's for being robust enough that the game is fully playable even when you do sequence breaking through bugs.)

SlothfulCobra posted:

The way people look at Super Metroid is always a little confusing to me because the sequence-breaking was largely not an intentional part of the game, so on modern games with thorough bug-testing, there's normally not going to be very much you can mess around with.

I don't beleive that. Super Metroid is a very intentially designed game that actively teaches the player how to sequence break.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 13, 2023

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

More metroidvania games need light horror elements.

TBH I don't think I've played a metroidvania that doesn't have light horror elements.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mode 7 posted:

when someone correctly points out that there is no momentum or weight like you're describing and the game does not remotely resemble Super Meat Boy in any sort of game feel.

White Palace

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Nostalgamus posted:

Finished up the other Rain World characters.

Oh, hey, someone else playing through the DLC!

Haven't gotten around to the Saint yet, but mostly agree with your thoughts. I'm a little less hot on Artificer, and I didn't care for Spearmaster, but Gourmand and Rivulet were both a ton of fun.

Gourmand in particular feels very at home with the core game characters. I feel like its crafting skill in particular would almost make more sense as a Survivor ability.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Continuing to work through the Rain World Downpour, this time revisiting the Hunter campaign to pick a few achievements. While like 99% of the Downpour changes and additions are excellent, letting Slugpups spawn in the Hunter game is an act of sadism impressive for even this game. Sorry, little darling, this campaign doesn't have a "go home" ending, so you get to starve while Daddy jumps into a hole to meet Buddha.

Also I triggerd the double enemy spawns gltich while going for the starvation achievement, and boy howdy does that make the Subterranean spicy.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I appreciate people posting their impressions about games they played even if they didn't enjoy them.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Finally completed the last Rain World Downpour campaign, the Saint. Playing through it, my opinion has bounced between the upper half of mid to being genuinely fantastic, with it finally settling at "quite good." New and tougher enemies but now you can't jump or fight? Kind of mid. Spiderman swinging at 100 mph across stages or up walls? Fantastic. Many of the same regions as before But Now With Snow? Kind of mid. Drastically altered regions with decayed hulks of previous landmarks or overgrown with new foliage? Fantastic. 11th hour superpowers? Kind of mid in practice, surprisingly. 11th hour superpower but you're in hell? Fantastic.

Not as good as Gourmand or Rivulet, but better than Spear Master.

On the whole, Downpour is excellent. On top of the new content, the (optional and customizable!) changes to the original mechanics are quite welcome. The new ending to two of the original campaigns does a lot to improve those experiences as well.

The big failing is that Downpour ultimately carries the original game's flaws. Most notably Karma gates, which suck and only spuriously make sense, but also things like the static camera that ensure nothing can ever be as dangerous as an enemy just slightly off screen. It does a lot to improve things, but Rain World remains a game I personally love but have some reservation recommending to others.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Aug 13, 2023

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

lets hang out posted:

sounds like you're already finished (unless you want to suffer through the arena challenges) so I guess this doesn't help you, but there's a mod that adds camera scrolling. it dynamically stitches all the rooms together the first time you enter a region. it works really well aside from some disjointed background art in a handful of places. mostly just on the wall, where things in the background don't always neatly line up between screens.

and karma gate behavior can be changed in the remix menus to stay open after the first time you pass through or just be open all the time

I'll definitely give that mod a look. I missed the karma gate menu option because it was labeled "Monk style gates" or something like that, but I had no idea gates worked that way for the Monk. :lol:

Sadly, I still think the karma system is the weakest part of the game, but good on Downpour for at least addressing it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

No Dignity posted:

Why don't they make more metroidvanias that are more like Metroid, this shouldn't be a hard thing to do

My completely naive guess is that there are two big obstacles: First, that level design with movement upgrades that fit together as well as in Super Metroid is just genuinely difficult -- not only to implement but even to conceptualize. It's a minor miracle that Super Metroid is as good as it is, and its not surprising that even its own sequels don't measure up to it.

Secondly, that a fresh player going into Super Metroid that follows the intended "new player" path is likely to beat the game in under 6-8 hours, even if they get lost once or twice. Few people making indie platformers want their game to be completable that quickly, not just because every indie wants their masterpiece to be colossal but because it's thought that the market incentivizes longer games. (Correctly or not.)

The Castlevania approach (with Dark Souls characteristics) is easier to design and easier to make big.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 17, 2023

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

KNR posted:

I think out of all the games mentioned in the previous page my top recommendation for you would be Vision Soft Reset. It's very low budget but concise, quite open ended, and fundamentally about speedrun style routing as part of its core gameplay.

I really wanted to like VSR, but it's kind of a terrible game to play. The playforming isn't precise enough for how much of it there is, and it doesn't give you enough time juice to just brute force it or enough health to soak up all the times you land in spikes.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
My first expedition run with the joke rifle saw it immediately getting crunched by a red lizard.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Dark Souls is way more like a classic Castlevania, where its all about precision and learning patterns.

As obnoxious as it is to argue the definition of metroidvania, there really does have to be more to it than just "a game where you can backtrack."

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ImpAtom posted:

For what it is worth, the game does offer an option to teleport past those rooms if you don't like it.

Honestly, that just makes me think they don't have confidence in their platforming.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

abraham linksys posted:

also the more i find out about this game the more i feel like i understand how it wound up here. the dev tried to go more rpg-focused with minoria and people did not like it, then tried to go more 3D and apparently fans rejected it for some reason (https://momodora.fandom.com/wiki/Momodora_V). this does sort of feel like a game where the dev really wanted to make another game in this world they really love with the characters they love, but had zero heart in the actual game mechanics

From what I recall at the time, the dev wanted to make Minoria a 3d zelda-ish souls-ish game, but he just released Momodora: RUTM and its fans were really vocal about wanting a sequel.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Speaking of Bombservice, did they ever update Minoria to be more forgiving? Having parrying being a core mechanic while having the MC die in 2-3 hits sucked all the joy out of the game. I'm pretty bad at video games but I finished RUtM without much difficulty.

They must have. I didn't get to Minoria until a few years after its release and sadly I found it pretty trivial (beyond enemies having too much health).

Anyways, I've been playing Momo 5 and I think I have a higher opinion on it than some? It's definitely an orthodox iga-style metroidvania, but it plays really nicely. My biggest complaint is that if multiple sound effects trigger at once their combined volume adds together weirdly, but that seems like the most "will be patched first week" problem ever.

Maybe I'll sour after playing it more, but so far it's very "yeah, this is Momodora alright." Which is good.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Metroid Fusion is very much on-rails, but has the excuse that the environment morphs around you due to the scripted events system. The lack of openness is a turn-off for many, but taken on it's own terms I think it's a compelling experience.

So, in all this, Dread fits into a weird spot. It's trying to be more open than Fusion, but more guided than Super. Like Fusion, the environment does morph around you in interesting ways, but it also does feel a bit lost in itself. And then you have the EMMI sequences on top of this, which are very-much their own thing and disconnected from the rest of the experience, regardless of the quality of the EMMI sections themselves.

Dread is just Fusion 2. I wouldn't even say that it's more open; that's a consequence of it being a larger game with a bigger map.

The EMMIs are a more structured version of the SA-X segments... which is a problem because such clear structure blunts the suspense and make everything repetitive. The SA-X segments felt like an interruption of the normal gameplay, but the EMMIs quickly become just a switch to a different type of gameplay.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 29, 2024

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

beer gas canister posted:

Guacamelee 1+2 are on sale for peanuts today, how do they hold up? Should I skip to 2? They don't seem very RPG-ish at all but for the price they seem worth a look. Also, how do people like Monster Boy?

The Guacamelee titles are more indie platformers with precise movement and weird gimmicks than they are metroidvanias.

Like, they are metroidvanias, but they're not that similar to Metroid or Castelvania, you know?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Borrowed Ladder posted:

Some of the late stage platforming puzzles in Guac 1 drove me insane because it was like trying to play street fighter 5 with all the drat inputs that I couldn't even bring myself to go far in part 2 out of fear

This is what I meant by how the game is mostly an indie platformer. The combat — even though there's a lot of it — is not the main gameplay focus. The focus is on using shoryukens and body slams as platforming tools.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I backed Radio the Universe. You Hollow Knight fans can wait your turn.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Rain World suffers from not really being like many other games and so being hard to describe.

It's a platformer in an open world, so sure, it's a metroidvania. I loving guess.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

I've been looking forward to this one, it looks real nice.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

sudonim posted:

Really curious to get someone else's take on Vision Soft Reset. The main gimmick is fantastic but imo it's more difficult than it needs to be. I bounced off once I got to a platforming challenge I couldn't clear without dying but maybe I'm doing things in the wrong order?

That was my experience exactly. The platforming was too difficult and too punishing, and the main conceit of the game meant that it was asking me to do it with no health upgrades and not enough rewinds.

It's a drat shame because it seemed very promising.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ExcessBLarg! posted:

How does this work when gaining new movement abilities is a cornerstone of the genre? Is the idea that all the movement abilities are inherent and you just have to learn how to execute them (like SM's wall jump)?

Vision Soft Reset had software that you kept between timelines and hardware that you didn't. Part of the game was learning to route things so you could (re)acquire needed hardware or else bypass their locks.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Moonlit Farewell is a pretty good time with some gorgeous pixel artwork, but it has a few design decisions that kind of work against it. There's no way to cancel out of your three hit combo, so you can find yourself unexpectedly locked in spot even when you feel like you ought to have been able to dodge. Some monster attack tells are ambiguous or inconsistent with each other. All of that would make combat feel a little unfair, except healing is way too powerful, so you're rarely in any danger and you never want to spend magic on anything else (because no other option is as good as being able to heal more).

You could do a lot worse as far as metroidvanias go, and there's a lot about the game I really like, but it falls short of being fantastic.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Animal Wells definitely puts the emphasis on the "puzzle" part of puzzle platformer but I've been having a drat good time with it. Satisfies that Knytt itch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Animal Well is at the center Venn diagram of like 20 different indie platformers and somehow it completely pulls it off. It won't be everyone's jam but it's easily the best of whatever the hell it is.