Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
Just finished HAAK and it was great. I love exploration and finding secret areas and that is extremely HAAK. The combat/ boss fights weren't amazing but sometimes a game does one thing so well you have to give it a pass.

woke kaczynski posted:

I 100%ed the followup game from that dev, Islets, last week. It's also extremely good, it's longer and has combat but it's fairly forgiving and has a lot of QoL features, and it's generally quite cozy.

Seconding this. Other developers should play Islets to see what movement can feel like.

Surprising that it was made by the Sheepo team, which was pretty standard and forgettable imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Souldiers was fun but it suffers the same problem as Phenotopia in that it just goes on for slightly too long.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've been playing Psychonauts 2 (really stretching it to call it a Metroidvania, as revisiting levels with new abilities isn't required to progress.) But it made me remember why I loved the original and something that's lacking from most Metroidvanias, each level is so creative and different.

Forest, desert, swamp, sewer/ dungeon, volcano/ forge, icy tundra - sound familiar?

So many developers are hamstrung by the same biomes/ areas and it's sad to see. It's a videogame, it can be whatever you can think of.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

Grimey Drawer
HH does it when you present all the spells.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TeaJay posted:

But one thing that Lone Fungus has is one of the most satisfying final boss battles I've had in these kinds of games. It kinda reminds me of the True Ending bossfight in Hollow Knight where I was constantly at the edge of my seat, palms sweating, learning patterns. Nothing the boss does feels cheap, it's all down to you reacting to its moves properly.

drat, wish I could relate.
There's a combination of relics that trivializes end game bosses (fast heal, cheaper heal and invincibility while healing.) Now it feels like I missed out.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

Grimey Drawer
More Afterimage opinions

I know it's been mentioned already but I really can't stress enough how incomprehensible the story was. This wasn't even the insular ramblings of a lone dev, a team of developers must have seen this confusing mess and shipped it. I wonder what the voice actors thought when they were reading their lines: "this is absolute nonsense but maybe it makes sense with more context?" (it doesn't)
Forget about Mile High Club on Veteran or Halo with all skulls activated, the real ultimate gaming challenge is explaining the story in Afterimage.

It feels like there was a crafting system at one point which was cut before release. Enemies drop either cooking items or miscellaneous items that have no purpose other to be sold. Like they already had all the items designed and in game, realised they didn't have time to finish it and just added "this item can be sold to merchants for a high price" to all the descriptions. Not that I needed to sell anything, the game is very generous with currency and there isn't nearly enough to buy.

It's unclear what many of the magic subweapons found actually do. The ingame description just says "press attack to perform attackname" and unless its a fireball or similar direct attack, there's no way of knowing what it does. There's no wiki or external list either, so unless the devs add more information these items serve no function. Also, I equipped a scythe once that continuously drained my health. It didn't mention this in the description.

Some of the weapon arts are absolute trash. The dive attack for the greatsword doesn't disable contact damage, meaning I had to position it to attack just in front of enemy which felt very awkward. The ultimate skill for the greatsword is embarrassingly bad, it has to be performed while sliding and it's just a weak overhead semi-circle slash.

Afterimage could have been one of the greats, but it's death by a thousand cuts. There are too many minor problems and they all add up to significantly diminish the experience.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Please don't be fooled by misinformation. The Mummy Remastered is bad actually.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm replaying Blasphemous before the sequel comes out and although it's fun, it's just structured unbelievably poorly. I usually try to do all optional content before the game ends and I was looking up whether or not I could spare/ execute a boss when it called them a 'late game boss.' This was very surprising as I had only found 1/4 of the exploration relics and 4 or 5 out of 17 prayers (spells.)

There was no indication ingame of where the other abilities were and I had to use a walkthrough to get some idea of where to go. There's just so many prayers that are only possible to get at the end of the game, I'd bet that most of them have hardly ever been used.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Teslagrad 2 must have sold poorly to be bundled this quickly. I didn't consider buying it without a discount as the only thing I remember from the first game is strongly disliking the fight against the last boss. Also one of their other games had a nasty save corruption bug.

and please don't believe the hype on Patch Quest, it's extremely repetitive. The negative reviews are 100% right on this one.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I gave up on Super Daryl Deluxe midway through, and it looks like so did most people. Only 35.5% of players have the acheivement for completing the first tutorial and just 6.1% have completed the game.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For the other 2 games John Lee mentioned:

Unsighted:
First acheivement: 70%
Beat the game: 25.3%

Astalon:
First acheivement: 70.2%
Beat the game: 48.1%

edit: just realised I spelt achievement wrong all 3 times I wrote it lol

Koburn fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Aug 8, 2023

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There's a new MV on steam that's getting some good reviews https://store.steampowered.com/app/1441240/Paradiso_Guardian/

I'm not gay or into hentai, but I would play a gay hentai game if it was good (and like half the price in this case.)

There's a few other hentai metroidvanias on steam with very positive reviews, but I don't know if that's because the games are good or just because the reviewer jerked off to it

This one cums out next month: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1748620/FlipWitch__Forbidden_Sex_Hex (sexy goblin nsfw warning.)
That pixel art looks amazing

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Consider looking into a difficulty hack. I played SOTN for the first time when the Xbox 360 port was released and really enjoyed it. But a couple of years ago I tried it again and quit mid way through because it was so easy to the point of boredom.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Miracle sensed your great guilt over not enjoying the first game and punished you accordingly

buddy, you got off lightly compared to some people!

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgamus posted:

I checked out the wiki after the getting the first ending, and I don't think there's any way I would have figured out how to unlock the second ending on my own. Deliberately breaking the statues that have a beneficial gameplay purpose is not something I would have tried to do.

That may be a you issue. I'm surprised anyone could go through the whole game without attempting to hit those things at least once.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Really grateful for you post-beta testers refining the game for the rest of us. I'm sure when I buy it in a years time all the rough edges will be sanded down and I'll have a much better experience.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I got Blast Brigade vs. the Evil Legion of Dr. Cread in the previous sale as it hit its historic low of 60% off and highly recommend it.

It really sank its hooks into me and I've been playing at any opportunity all week. While it certainly has some negatives, the lack of fast travel points mostly, it more than makes up for as an overall package.

There's a huge amount of enemy variety, every new area has 4-6 new enemies and I think only 1 or 2 were palette swaps.
From the start the map shows whether or not an area has any remaining collectables and there's a merchant who sells completed maps later in the game.
The bosses all felt challenging but not unfair and more importantly, absolutely zero multiple stage bosses.

It took me just over 17 hours to finish with 100% and was easily worth the price. Check it out, especially if it goes back to 60% off in the Xmas sale.

Koburn fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Dec 2, 2023

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I agree the early game is much harder than the rest, I found this around the mid game which pretty much eliminated chip damage:

Then later on still the ultimate weapons are absurdly powerful (one of which is a railgun :love:)

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Pro: From the team who made the modern Rayman games.

Con: Giving Ubisoft money :barf:

What I'd really like is a Humble Bundle style slider to give more to the devs and less to Yves and the other shithead upper management.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't recommend Deedlit. It's extremely short and the story doesn't make any sense unless you're all caught up on your Record of Lodoss War lore.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Commander Keene posted:

All of the Team Ladybug Metroidvanias are pretty short, including SMT Synchronicity Prologue, if you've played that one. As for the plot, I know basically nothing about the Record of Lodoss War series and I managed to get the gist of it pretty quickly. Elf lady is mourning the human guy she loved and outlived so hard she has a dream about being trapped in Castlevania with him and the other people she knew at that time in her life. Maybe there's some Deep Lore™ that I'm missing by not watching the anime or whatever, but there wasn't a time where I was going "what the gently caress is going on?", the plot's not that complex.

It's more the lack of context I had a problem with. A new character shows up and "gasp! It's you!"

And who that character is would never be explained. The cliché and predictable so it was all a dream... ending didn't help.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I greatly enjoyed Ender Lillies and I'm glad we're getting a sequel. A couple of the bosses were in that sweet spot were they were difficult at first, but learning their patterns and trying new strategies made them very satisfying to defeat.

The pro-spirits were of course the fart cloud and stronger fart cloud.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm thinking of giving it up after 30 minutes. Some games I just feel no compulsion to return too after the first play sesh.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I got the final upgrade and the last boss was still bullshit?

I also quit after that, tired of the games many flaws. The chess boss was cool though.

No more multiple stage bosses please!

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Finished Minishoot in just under 9 hours on hard, good game 7/10.

I liked how I could respec anytime, the secret areas were well placed and the map completion tools were available early on and were very useful.

My few critic isms were that the story was flimsy and practically non-existant.
I had over 100 of the red coin currency by the end and nothing to spend it on, would have been nice to be able to convert it to the regular upgrades, I didn't have nearly enough to max out everything.
The fourth skull key was just sitting there, no dungeon or boss. Feels like they ran out of time/ effort for that one.

There's a post game arena mode, but the first level went on for far too many waves imo, and I was getting some nasty frame rate drops so I'll probably skip those.

If you also liked it check out MF-01 Aerostrike which isn't as good but it has much more weapon variety and the combat was more satisfying.

There's also Absence of Light which I haven't played yet but looks similar.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I finished Biomorph, and it was okay!

The copying enemies feature isn't used particularly well, most enemy abilities are very situational and are only used in the specific area that enemy is found in. The base form is also far stronger, and I rarely used copied enemies to attack.
There is a sequence breaking enemy in the white Sentinel area to the east, the floating drone. Highly recommend going there as soon as possible.
Every room with all items found is given a gold border, I always appreciate a way to track this.
The difficulty is disappointingly low, and I rarely died. There's a couple of platforming challenges but they were not that tough and didn't last long. I really wish there were more platforming focused Metroidvanias, Aerterna Noctis may have been flawed but the platforming was so satisfying. Whenever I get a sliver of that feeling I think of replaying it.

The similarly named Biogun is out soon, in the unlikely event you too backed the failed kickstarter for ReVeN, it's from the same developer and they're giving keys for Biogun to backers.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The 7th Guest posted:

didn't he literally get banned from LoL for being a raging dipshit. anyway it's just my, like, opinion man!!

that was also 8 years ago though

moosferatu posted:

I have no opinion on the matter, but this bit from his Wikipedia page is at least odd:

yeah looks like it

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't see where the Dunkey hate is coming from other than goon contrarianism. He's put out 4 videos in the last week alone plugging Animal Well, I'm sure it would have been a moderate success even without, but he's done a helluva lot more than more publishers do.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Are you unironically trying to claim publishers don't put out videos advertising their games?

How many of those publishers have 7.5 million subscribers?

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Most of them, since the videos are put out on every major website, as well as the ones who have more subscribers than that on their own (such as Nintendo's 9.5 million.)

Search youtube for any recently released metroidvania and see how low the view counts are. You're delusional if you think Dunkey wasn't a huge part of the games success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

I'm sorry someone insulted your favorite Youtube person but the only person responsible for Animal Well's success is Billy Basso and it's goddamn insulting to pretend otherwise. Like... you do know indie games go on to be successes without Dunkey's help, right? He's the publisher but he is not, in fact, doing anything special as far as publishing goes.

OK you're a moron and this is a waste of time. There are plenty of great games that never get the success they deserve because of a lack of attention/ marketing.
Why don't we wait to see what Billy has to say on the subject?