Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Cross-posting my effort post about Astalon: Tears of the Earth, the Meroidvania fan's Metroidvania.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V87xLFNs-EA

McCracAttack posted:

It's a Metroidvania that looks like every other 8-bit inspired game you've ever seen. Watching a YouTube video won't really convey what's good about it.

You play as three separate characters and you switch between them at save points. They're all strong in some ways and weak in others. There are lots of obstacles that only one of them can pass based on their abilities. When you die you get to level up your characters and then try again. There are elevators and teleporters you can unlock as you go so it's pretty painless to get back in there.

A big hook (in my opinion) is the game's stiff challenge. Kind of like the old NES Castlevania games that clearly inspired it. You have to be very deliberate and careful in combat and traversal because you can't take many hits and restoring health is very hard to do. Now that wouldn't be very fun in and of itself but the game is very good about giving you upgrades at just the right time to alleviate the frustrations you've been dealing with so far.

Here's a small example, when you kill an enemy they drop orbs that are the "currency" of the game. You use them to level up your character. But when they drop they scatter like marbles and you have to go pick them up. It's kind of a pain. So when you get the upgrade that auto-collects those orbs it feels great. The bigger upgrades can feel like game changers. You start the game feeling pretty small and vulnerable but by the end you're so powerful that the final boss is basically a victory lap. It's very satisfying.

It also does all the things you want a Metroidvania to do well. Exploration is fun. Finding secrets is fun. It's a fun game. I hope I'm not over-hyping it but it really got its hooks in me and it's a shame it apparently didn't find much of an audience. I only heard about it because folks in here were talking about it and I'm glad they did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU