Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Metis of the Hallway posted:

yeah but someone asked me to change a thread title. it's like throwing grains of rice for a vampire, i can't help myself

Imho whatever the quality of the game Octoberpath Traveler is a solid B- thread title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Probably Tales of Arise for me, very clearly unfinished past a certain point and just becomes a miserable slog after the second opening starts playing. Even the batshit insane twist that everything was orchestrated by a sentient carnivorous planet mind controlling aliens couldn’t make me finish it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Octoberpath Traveler Remastered: Games Chat imho

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

mutata posted:

Wish I could say I was doing well. Hope y'all are though.

Hope you get through your tough times, friend.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
If third person shooters count the flamethrower in ratchet and clank that shoots ropy strands of lava that upgrades to instant death liquid nitrogen was cool.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Charles Martinent is the GOAT and his Mario is perfect.

I like his Mario more in 64 than the other stuff, but that’s probably just a direction thing and he’s still the GOAT for being the Wario/Luigi/Waluigi actor.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
AI Somnium: Nirvana Initiative: I’m a few chapters into Mizkui’s story, on the part with the balloon hunt, speciation/general commentary for anyone who’s also played it since I wanna wait till I beat it to post/look in the actual thread:

huh, the fact that the first part of the game is told from the perspective of a mentally unwell man sure isn’t sending off red flags out the rear end or anything. I miss Ryuji as a protagonist more than I thought I would, his tendency to just get weird with it out of nowhere (I AM HERE! HALF MIGHT!) was endearing. Also Iris’s voice actor was really good at pretending to be Moma, one of the funnier parts of both games.

Localization seems a lil janky in parts sadly, but I’m guessing a lot of it was done in the pandemic and it doesn’t seem to have affected the dub at least so it could be worse.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The Half Might thing is so good just because of Ryuji’s voice actor, which was kind of funny because I just came off of Live A Live where he voices a stoic terse ninja and then he just goes and does a bad (amazing) Australian accent out of loving nowhere

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Kerrzhe posted:

i'm gonna be real you guys: i don't think i could stand listening to charles martinet's mario voice for an entire goddamn movie

I agree, but he could just not do the Mario voice except for at the end when he has a big hero moment. They got him for one of the Ratchet and Clank games and he just sounds like a normal guy and apparently he’s some dragon in some RPG or something too?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Not seeing a lot of Ting here for some weird reason…

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

fridge corn posted:

What fruit juice isnt also sugary sweet?

Cranberry and grapefruit, but really the pro move is to mix fruit juices with seltzer water to have fizzy sugar water that isn’t cloyingly sweet like pop/normal fruit juice.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

VideoGames posted:

I am looking forward to it! I recently played through bloodstained twice in a row and have heard SotN is the precursor to all this. I also played Metroid dread and had a fantastic time. Plus 2D platforming!

It is the PS4 version, though, because that is what I have installed on the PS5 and my PS3 dualshock left joystick fell out so I probably cannot use that.

PS4 version is packaged with Rondo of Blood which is also a super good game so you lucked out.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Whizzing Wizard posted:

The only major downside of the rerelease is that I think they used the dull PSP retranslation and not the iconic orginal.

I’m gonna be honest, this might be a blistering hot gamer take but imho the original Dracula speech is mediocre compared to the PSP version.

Edit: also Veeg, I mentioned before that Rondo of Blood is packaged with most ports of SOTN but not that SOTN is the sequel, so you might wanna play RoB first if you don’t have a strong preference.

Last Celebration fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Oct 13, 2022

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

Last time i played sotn, the second half was weirdly a bit of a drag, like the levels didn't feel designed right, e.g. having to slowly transform into the bat for a sec because your double jump couldn't quite make it up high enough

Iirc the second half was basically done on a whim instead of being a properly planned thing from the ground up like (Bloodstained spoilers)the inverted reality powerup which is why you have the option to just fly everywhere in case jumping doesn’t work.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I can’t believe the Game Industry News thread hosed so badly it made VG have to lay down the law and not be positive…

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

Some partners in TTYD have the same function as partners in PM64. Not every partner has a counterpart but there are enough to warrant asking this. Between PM64 and TTYD, which partner counterparts do you like more?

PM64 <---------> TTYD
Goombario <----> Goombella
Kooper <-------> Koops
Bombette <-----> Bobbery
Parakarry <----> Baby Yoshi
Bow <----------> Vivian

The rest don't have any counterparts so just from that list. My picks:

Kooper <-------> Koops
Bombette <-----> Bobbery
Bow <----------> Vivian

That last one is the toughest choice imo, both Bow and Vivian rule but I've gotta give the point to Bow.

PM64 <---------> TTYD
Kooper <-------> Koops
Bombette <-----> Bobbery
Bow <----------> Vivian

Iirc the TTYD crew gets way more wrt backstory/dialogue, so it’s kind of a clean sweep aside from Bow. And since it came up TYYD’s art style is better to me too, a lot of the sprites like Mario have different “segments” for the main body/arms/legs that make them feel more authentically like a paper diorama.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Vermain posted:

ah, but think of the high quality, top tier gameplay precision you'll experience playing your PS5 only titles like [looking at palm] ratchet and clank: rift apart

Hey, there’s also $70 Demon’s Souls With Active Servers, can’t forget that!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/1582911464880250882

Kamiya is back and is now going to block Literally Anyone who tweets at him

Can you disable Twitter from using the translate option? Because I think he did that lol

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

visual novels are pretty cool. like books but with soundtracks. what's not to like.

Visual novels are pretty cool but I wish they’d have no/bad voice acting more often so I could speed read without FOMO. Also wish Phoenix Wright had an option to speed up the text on a slider like 13 Sentinels so I could keep the “intent” of the dialogue sometimes being sped up/staggered without it being slow when reading normal dialogue.

Those are my only complaints, visual novels are pretty rad otherwise.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I wish my feet could handle doing exercises in place because Ring Fit was really cool as a supplemental workout thing but my horrible horrible feet couldn’t handle it. :(

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Everyone is scared of spiders, but being one would be pretty sick.

That’s cheating, spiders are just lil guys and not insects.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

galenanorth posted:

I never got how it's the Mushroom Kingdom but goombas are mushrooms who hurt you if you touch them, like are they part of Bowser's army which coincidentally also has mushrooms, are they supposed to be traitors to the kingdom, Toads under a curse, gruff civilians who will cut you for looking at them the wrong way let alone bumping into them, etc.

I think goombas being traitors is canon, OP

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
AI: Nirvana Initiative BIG SPOILERS: i just got to the big twist of the game and my brain hurts and I don’t think I like it very much. I guess it’s a cool idea that the two younger characters got super immortality genes so you can hardly notice the inconsistencies wrt their appearance but…man.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Walla posted:

If you've seen the twist then you're near the end at least.

I still enjoyed Nirvana, but between the twist and the fact that they went back to the amnesia plot for 2 characters, I'm left thinking the first one was a much better game. Also I don't really see myself ever doing a replay of it, but I definitely could play the original again.

Yeah, even before the twist it felt like I was right at the endgame just going by the gate locks. This game was…well, in the moment I enjoyed it quite a lot, I like pretty all these characters and seeing their stories play out, along with just talking to them as I went about investigating but where AI 1 had one simple twist that retroactively explained everything and probably makes the Cyclops Killer’s actions easy to track on replay, I doubt putting the code in on a replay to start Mizuki’s path ASAP is gonna have the same benefit.

Also despite the twist it’s kinda obvious the game was localized in it’s presented order and Mizuki’s half begins to deteriorate in that regard slightly, which is probably only noticeable since AI1 set a high standard.

In any case, you played these games with your son, right? I hope you two enjoyed them regardless!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Almost done with AI: Somnium: Nirvana, got the amazing credits sequence and just doing the Hack The Planet scenario unlocked by literally breaking the fourth wall.

It was a pretty good use of my time. I peeped into the main AI thread and it turns out there were lots of little hints the whole time about the twist I just missed, like Boss losing her poo poo and threatening to demote Ryuki over what seemed like a lost subject but was really him ducking shooting at a pedestrian, but they really should have had Mizuki/Bibi’s outfit be more generic if they were gonna try the twist of two Mizukis.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Harrow posted:

SaGa games are one of the JRPG deep ends. There are several different "deep ends" in the JRPG pool and they don't necessarily intersect. Lots of bigtime JRPG fans don't vibe with SaGa even as they dive happily into other weird or niche JRPGs (and vice versa).

You gotta be okay with a game that's going to tell you only a portion of what you should probably know to succeed, will actively reject your attempts to follow a linear storyline (especially SaGa Frontier, multiple scenarios will just punch you straight in the face if you try to just follow the story), will make side quests appear and disappear for seemingly no reason at all (and once you do know the reason it'll just make you go :psyduck:), where sometimes they gently caress with the skill learning formulas just because even the designers don't want to know how it works.

For some people, like me, that list of features is straight-up jolly and these games are an endless font of joy. For others, they're just obtuse, hair-pulling experiences that make you long for how understandable Dark Souls NPC quests are by comparison.

The series does vary pretty widely when it comes to how obtuse it is. Romancing SaGa Minstrel Song is pretty approachable (unless you're trying to 100% it, hahaha have fun learning about event rank!!!) while SaGa Frontier can be really obtuse, and then it keeps going even further and you get games like Unlimited SaGa that even most SaGa fans look at and say "hey what the gently caress"

SaGa post-Gameboy really just feels like a JRPG trying to be a Western RPG*, with how the games are largely mostly pretty open and the story can vary wildly with some poo poo like Romancing SaGa 2 having entire scenarios play out completely differently depending on when you found them.

*I mean this in the best possible way

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
When are you playing Rondo of Blood, VG?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Vermain posted:

the witcher TV show feels like a lot of vaguely connected vignettes more than the mythic archplot that i think they were aiming for, especially in S2. there's some genuinely good writing in parts, and they have a lot of great actors pushing what's otherwise often some drab dialogue and witless scenarios further than they otherwise would get

it's not terrible TV, but it's the kind of thing i'm watching primarily for a combination of henry cavill and the hilarious grindhouse gore they occasionally drop in

To be fair the first two books that the shows probably mostly been covering are pretty much vignettes that sometimes lay the groundwork for the poo poo that goes down after Geralt adopts Ciri and the series becomes more of an ongoing saga. I think they added/expanded on stuff like Yennifer’s backstory and changed some other things like how Geralt and Dandelion/Jaskier/Julian were originally friends before the series started in the books, but yeah, I found the actual execution kinda lacking versus the books.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
gently caress, didn’t know that’s why I wasn’t seeing posts from him. He really was a great source of game news too and seemed like a cool guy.

Although I’m guessing going forward not a lot of people are gonna be verified anyway. :v:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Man, Metroid Dread is really committing to “no earlygame morph ball”, it’s kinda frustrating. Not in a janky bad design way, more that it’s more noticeable that I don’t have it than just about any powerup in Metroid ever aside from the Varia Suit and I can’t wait till I find it, which was probably the point. Gonna lol if it’s the penultimate upgrade right behind the screw attack and gravity jump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Rarity posted:

Where's the drat November thread? :argh:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4016346&perpage=40&noseen=1
I did the thing, will lock if someone makes a better one.