Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

DrBox posted:

A report system without any way to verify the reports would lead to abuse and false bans. With the transcripts they get flagged on report and someone can read the toxic chat and take action.

I'm tired of "mute and move on". That's just passing the buck to the next team these assholes queue into. I want it recorded and actioned. There's no expectation of privacy in the public in game comms. Take off your tinfoil hat.

as well, the experience of constantly bumping into people who you have to actively mute when they start screaming slurs or death threats at you over voice is incredibly draining and actively chases people away from playing, which was a significant issue in OW1

expecting your playerbase to be made of stone and simply mute toxic players and return to playing in a zen-like state like nothing happened isn't a proper way to run a multiplayer game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

BabyRyoga posted:

These companies really don't want to hire 100 or so people and devote an office in their giant HQ building to verifying reports and policing the game, do they. In the 80s or 90s, it would essentially be mandatory, but just automating certain parts of the process and saving on the human factor at the expense of being less accurate is the way to go to squeeze out slightly more profit.

"some guys in an office" works as a strategy when you have a manageable volume of daily reports, but it will categorically not work for a game of overwatch's size and scale

riot had a blog update regarding their own report automation plans wherein they mention that, across their games, they get something in the range of 3 billion reports a year. overwatch will obviously not get quite that many, but there's simply no option except to automate it if you want reports addressed in anything resembling a timely manner when voice is added in to the mix

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

CuddleCryptid posted:

I would say that part of the reason why so many reports accumulate is *because* the automation systems require a certain level of reports to be taken seriously.

hence the switch to newer style systems that are intended to use machine learning to be able to detect toxicity in gameplay/voice/etc., with the idea being that you can rely on a single report that the system derives a positive from instead of having to reach a critical threshhold before a human looks at it

obviously, this is fraught with the usual complications of machine learning and automated ambiguity (e.g. people with thick accents are probably gonna get dinged with false positives a lot), and i don't know enough about the tech to say if it's relatively bulletproof or if it can be defeated with filters to fuzz your voice enough to throw the algorithm off, but it's an active area of research and implementation for some of the world's largest multiplayer gaming companies for a good reason

BabyRyoga posted:

Riot has that whole community review thing, where players are fed reports to review, right?

the tribunal got axed years back due to unresolvable complications, with the main one being that it was difficult to incentivize people to review the reports in a way that didn't result in them just mindlessly clicking through to get their reward

nowadays, it's mostly automated systems that are used to detect toxicity and the like in chat, but they've been refining their systems for a while now to also be able to detect more ambiguous behaviour like intentional feeding, attempting to skirt AFK detection, and other stuff that's harder for a human to review given both average game length and the necessary context surrounding that player (having a really unusually bad game vs. having a history of running it down)

Vermain fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 6, 2022

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Isn't there an option to make Reaper shadow form a toggle and not a hold? Where is that in these good awful menus?

go to controls and you should see an empty portrait in the upper right with a "change hero" button below that which you can use to set individual hero control options

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

I even uncapped the framerate, just to see if that helps but no.
I was getting 90-100 fps earlier today but it felt like I was playing a 30 fps game. They really hosed up either framepacing or input delay.

have you tried capping framerate with something like RTSS? i've had issues with ingame framerate caps before that've caused odd framepacing in other games that i was otherwise able to solve via RTSS/AMD chill, so it might be worth a shot here

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

TenementFunster posted:

i really wanna hear Fairouz Ai’s english lines tho. she rules.

she's jolyne's VA, right? i'm sure she nails it, she always brings a huge amount of energy in

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Countblanc posted:

can yyou skip the Play of the Game

it is necessary to watch the entire thing to show respect to your fellow players for their game-winning "shooting a gun at two people" play

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

beer gas canister posted:

How is the 5 player setup working?

i think it works good for what their intention was. there's more of an emphasis on flanking to create backline picks and on trying to minimize fire angles instead of relying solely on shields and excessive healing to keep everyone alive. i haven't played tanks much, but they can all take a ridiculous beating from what i've seen

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

SorePotato posted:

The new healer feels lame and boring but I guess it's hard to compete with Lucio

kiriko is the healer you pick if you want to mechanically flex, in that you have absurd damage for a healer if you can land consistent kunai headshots which is far easier said than done with how slow the fuckers travel and how small their hitbox is

you're otherwise better off playing literally anyone else

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

xgalaxy posted:

I don’t understand why my aim is bad in Overwatch.
In a game like Valorant for example I consistently get kills and headshots.
In this game it’s like 80% of my shots miss.

I don’t get it.

it's a combination of higher movement speed, models with wildly varying heights, a lack of any kind of horizontal momentum so that you can wiggle in place effectively with AD, and greatly increased verticality

the secret to OW is that, unless you're aiming at a large target that you can track reliably, you have to flick to be able to land most of your shots. my aim is miserable when i'm trying to accurately track targets and passable when i'm twitching my wrist and hoping for the best

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the dichotomy of OW having heroes that require some of the most cracked aiming and flick shots in modern FPSes coexisting with the autoaim gorilla man has always been deeply amusing to me honestly

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I dont play dps a lot and when i do i dont often play hitscan but when i play ashe i make an alarming amount of headshots just wildly doing this instead of carefully aiming

i think it's because making a conscious effort to track falls apart when you're trying to hit a tracer that may as well be in a quantum superposition, since it requires a predictability in movement that isn't really there unless you have the analytical abilities of kasparov. flicking is far more of a "the model is here right now" thing, and if you're fast enough and accurate enough you'll land it. it's overriding the natural tendency to try and foresee a future position in favor of just blasting 'em where they actually are in a 0.1s period of time

Vermain fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Oct 8, 2022

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Veev posted:

Maybe they should have waited a few days before doing the viewer giveaway thing because now they're just streaming cinematics because they can't turn their stream off.

on this note, i dunno if it's just the twitch app being garbage, but i had to exit out of seagull's stream and reenter after getting the kiriko voiceline, since it was counting her skin as a separate "quest" and didn't track any time after it completed until i refreshed

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

sojourn's pretty versatile and her AoE field is a huge loving pain to deal with. she's a more controller-y S76 and it's hard to say no to that

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jack B Nimble posted:

What the hell is mitigate, damage done to your barrier and other such?

damage to barriers and anything that was mitigated by increased DR ala nano boost. not sure if it applies to temp invulns/blocks, although i'd imagine not since it would wildly inflate the number

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Zzulu posted:

What makes her so great? Her gun seems about on par with the other shooty folk

you get the sustained DPS of S76 with the anti-pharah/tracer tech of cowboy man's MB1

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

your protection as support is to nail reaper twice in the noggin with a kunai and then punch him

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

adhuin posted:

So what are your go to heroes in OW2?

Mine are Zarya as a tank. Double bubble just feels so good and I can keep Genjis alive. High energy beaming is always blast.
Ana as healer. She can take such safe angles and grenades are working way better as pick enabler.
Sojourn as DPS. Her rail gun is just so much fun and she has great mobility. She is Widowmaker, except fun to play.

i just play support and go moira (if i can't aim worth a goddamn for whatever reason and still need to contribute), ana (if i'm feeling okay about my play and want something solid), or kiriko (if i want to make ego headshot plays)

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Hashy posted:

It still sounds like you're talking about the same thing: dps can't stand around and pressure tanks as the default, they have to change their playstyle to be more flanky and dynamic, if they play like before they lose

yeah, that's been my experience in most games so far. standing still and slugging it out front to back usually ends up coming down to raw numbers, and only flanks or creative angles to access the backline can end up swinging things the other way

hell, even just getting up on a ledge and nailing a support with a kiriko kunai can force them to start backing off or divert attention away and give your team more punching power

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Not having really played much of either, is there a good reason to use one instead of the other? Does 76 do more damage over time with his sustained fire compared to Sojourn?

easier to land burst with his MB2, especially against fast targets like tracer, biotic field is excellent team utility, and tact visor is still a foolproof way to wipe backline if they're caught in the open and you time it right

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

trying to keep the team of randos together on the point while my baptiste attempts to heal them while also getting shot to hell by it suddenly becoming 5v1 when the tanks decide to chase a reaper gets real old

trying to convince your DPS that the map isn't a single linear line that you have to fight down no matter what challenge (impossible)

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

it's really funny how every single team game like this has a your X vs. enemy X experience

there's not enough money on the planet to pay your team's genji to do something other than doublejump hucking shurikens at a rein shield, meanwhile enemy team genji has a 3D mental map of every side route and health pack in the game and can walk up and punch your supports in the back like he's hitting an elimination vending machine

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

verbal enema posted:

EVERY COMPET GAME I PLAY has the enemy team with 20+ elims each even healers

what the gently caress am i supposed to do?

this is, regrettably, the nature of competitive multiplayer games

just like in league, the only way to climb is to overperform for your MMR bracket and swing slightly more games in your favor through individual skill than you lose. play a tank with good damage and pick potential like roadhog/junker queen, play a DPS with a lot of individual agency like genji, or play a healer with good damage/utility like moira or zenyatta

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Veev posted:

I've been playing support but if I get out of position I just get instantly merc'd which is probably fair so I'm having trouble. I'm also having trouble aiming so I'm pretty sure I'm just making everyone lose.

moira is a foolproof pick if you have trouble with positioning or aiming as support, as her shift is an absurdly good combination defense/mobility tool and all you really gotta think hard about is firing angles to avoid so you can maximize the uptime of your two beams. i'd say she has a lower ceiling than most other supports, but if consistency is your big issue then she's a quick fix

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

headcase posted:

This could be me misinterpreting what I saw on ML7's stream, but I think her impact comes from playing like a ninja.

yeah, that's been my impression, too. she's a fairly mediocre heads-on healer, since she's not especially fast at healing and has a reasonably slow projectile for a primary fire, so you're mostly reduced to spamming corners to nail peekers and popping suzu to counter ults or big damage bursts. it's her unparalleled mobility that makes her unique: she can find vertical positions that make getting headshots much easier while still being able to LMB targets from pretty far away, and she can pocket highly mobile targets like genji or tracer in a way no other healer really can. she's also exceptionally good at getting out of danger, with only moira really rivaling her in that regard

the reason she feels "basic" when playing her like any other healer is that she was designed to not play like them. you need to gain height advantages and look for opportunities to dink the backline to force them to peel behind cover, or move around with a friendly genji to neuter their backline, or even go on the occasional solo mission to high ground and clap some unaware widow

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

Kiriko's kit seems really good, but her m1 and m2 lack visual punch. the flying papers get lost in the explosions and gunfire onscreen.

i think the travel time does her LMB no favors as far as gamefeel goes. it's a fairly significant chunk of HP healed for a full bar, but it can take several seconds to hit a distant target who's hopping around, so it often feels weightless even when it's doing good work

Vermain fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 10, 2022

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

rkd_ posted:

Yeah, she's insane. Can literally dish out equal damage and healing and still be on top as healer.

in fairness, a good amount of her damage is pure stat padding from hucking dark balls down corridors that's just healed up by the local lucio or mercy 90% of the time. she's definitely good anti-genji/tracer tech though if you can't rely on your DPS to turn around when they hear what sounds like an elephant clomping behind them

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

SirKibbles posted:

Wait wait did the unlock bug comeback because they tried to lock out Torb and Bastion and accidentally set the other heroes too, just come on now.

it's either that or their authentication servers are having a whoopsie again

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

BabyRyoga posted:

It's an industry wide thing, so I guess analytics have been done many many times and affirmed that pricing things reasonably and targeting the average player makes less money than extremely poo poo pricing targeting whales and gambling addicts.

more or less, yeah. it's better optics, better profits, and is usually financially easier to put together to boot, since all you have to do is make a couple of high-quality items and then a bunch of low-to-mid tier stuff to pad out the battle pass instead of constantly churning out mounts worthy of people pulling the gacha lever 1000 times for. OW2's model is especially efficient in this regard, since bundling a new hero in as a part of it gives a real "i want the new hero, may as well buy the battle pass since it'll be close to the same price anyways" incentive

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Coming back to the game after OW1 and having had a few unranked games mixing and matching but being a fair support in OW1 Ranked today I decided to practice with Kiriko.

Really enjoyed it, there is definitely a steep learning curve but the DPS is so good I can't see her not getting nerfed ij the next battlepass.

her DPS is high if, and only if, you're landing consistent headshots, something much easier said than done in the world of overwatch

she's really good against relatively immobile tanks with large head hitboxes like orisa and roadhog but small targets depend a lot on flicks and luck if they're moving even mildly unpredictably. if there isn't a tank to hit, i mostly stick with using kunai to provide corner denial and only really try to hit accurately at midrange

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Porpoise With A Purpose posted:

Playing as a support in solo queue is absolutely cancer. Its so painful to play walking simulator cause your tank insists on hiding in the back and your dps cant deal with a pharah who isn't even trying to hide.

may i introduce you to my good friend, mrs. ana amari and her amazing daughter slaying hitscan rifle

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

Blizzard walked that back in the name of attempting good PR, despite there being literally nothing you can do to make people who were pissed off about something like that have goodfeels about Blizzard.

they walked it back for existing accounts; new ones will still have to use a non-prepaid phone number

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

JQ probably isn't helped too much by her ult basically forcing her to overextend when she doesn't have any easy means of retreat beyond her speed boost, as well as 99% of its effects being nullified by kiriko with suzu

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

with single tank comps in the game, it really feels like biotic grenade and JQ's ult should be more like 50% instead of 100% healcut, as roadhog gets absolutely hosed by an ana with a brain nowadays and he can't rely on someone else frontlining while he's trying to run behind cover to wait biotic out. those are really the most impactful debuffs kiriko can remove, so you could implement that, remove the debuff cleanse, and give it some other secondary effect like temporarily removing slows/immobs or making targets immune to forced movement or whatever

i feel like "temp AoE invuln" is already strong enough as a mechanic that suzu doesn't also need to make JQ and ana feel like they're missing parts of their kits whenever kiriko's on the other team

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I might be the only person that liked it but I miss the Egypt map. Unless it's still there somewhere and I've just never managed to run into it. It was a bad map to be sure, way too chokey. But I still enjoyed it for some reason.

i liked the aesthetics of temple of anubis and hanamura but i would rather be shot out of a cannon than ever play either of them again

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

pharmercy is a weird balance edge case where you explicitly need to hero swap to deal with it if you have the wrong comp. having ana vs. roadhog is obviously a huge deal but it's not impossible to deal with him otherwise, whereas pharmercy usually demands at least 2 hitscan or 1 hitscan + ana if you don't have, like, the son of s1mple playing widow on you team

also my current favorite hard counter is kiriko vs. doomfist, because he still has a DPS's head hitbox and meteor strike has just enough visual lead in to be countered reactively with suzu. poor guy is straight garbage right now

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

dogstile posted:

Fired within 10 days of being reported, as well. Not sure how fast it usually happens in big companies. Not that i'm defending it, but the fucker is gone.

it's obviously still not a great environment, but most big companies nowadays recognize that active sexual harassment/assault lawsuits can rapidly tank both stock prices and broader brand appeal, and are far more willing to jettison people if they don't have enough seniority to cling on. G2 recently booted their CEO and founder carlos after his intransigence over being friends with noted sex trafficking criminal andrew tate cost them their pro valorant spot, and canada's overarching hockey body recently had its interim CEO and entire board of directors resign after they tried to dig in their heels over revelations of a secret fund to pay off sexual assault lawsuits, which caused every single sponsor they had to drop them like a hot rock

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i assume it's all predicated on the same logic as people who buy account boosts, which is one of either "my dogshit teammates are holding me back so cheating/boosting is the only way i can get to my 'true' MMR" or "i want to take screencaps of my MMR and brag to girls at the esports bar"

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

DoctorJones posted:

her attack is very much like zenyatta for me. so it just feels right.

for me, it's that tapping with the index finger is generally easier than with my middle finger, so it's easier to get more consistent shots out without worrying about throwing off my aim too much

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Cephas posted:

Kiriko is really fun. Giving a support character Mei's M2 is actually just straight up great.

she's a blast and one of my favorite support characters in any game. i do think she has a vastly higher skill floor that's going to turn a lot of people off and probably make her a bit of a meme pick in low MMR ranked, but she is absurdly deadly in the right hands

just being able to find a height advantage and double dink an enemy support already gives you more carry potential than a lot of other supports, and kitsune rush turns you into a tank killing machine gun if you can hit their heads reliably

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Dick Jones posted:

If the Blackwatch Genji skin is any indicator, he brutally dismembered Genji in a swordfight and left him to die like Anakin Skywalker. Then Overwatch somehow arrived on the scene right after Hanzo left and Mercy saved his life. Wracked with shame and anguish over "killing" Genji, Hanzo left the Shimada clan and vowed to never use a sword again.

i shall never use the blade again... but i will use these instakill headshot arrows and bow i found lying around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I don't remember it being this bad in OW1 like how it is now.

i think it's a combination of the backline being dangerously exposed to fire way, way more than in OW1 (a situation that's compounded whenever your tank chooses something that doesn't have either a shield or a giant hitbox to shoot through) and the removal of CC + the damage role boost making it way harder to pin down skirmishers, or at least trade with them

it's a weird situation where the only real defense against skirmishers for supports in most pub games is going to be outdueling them, and if you can do that then you may as well be playing DPS in the first place

Cephas posted:

anyway baptiste is the closest support character to being an actual well-rounded dps character, so if you try support queue hell you should play him a lot.

i think moira much more fits the role, especially since she's one of the only supports who has even a snowball's chance in hell of fighting a decent genji/sombra 1v1. you just gotta remember to left click sometimes