Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
I'm hyped! RIP 6v6, double barrier and too much CC. I will not miss you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

blossommirage posted:

I haven't played Overwatch 1 since GOATs ruled the world. Do I still get the founders pack thingy or did I have to log in before the servers went offline? The wording is really confusing.

"To redeem the Founder's Pack, players need to log into the live game by December 5 2022 at 11:59 p.m. PDT or 2:59 a.m EST."

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Jack B Nimble posted:

Can anyone who played in the beta speak to what it's like being the sole tank if you were previously the off tank? Say, RoadHog and Wrecking Ball?

I'm no pro or anything but for ball it feels like playing a dive comp. If you've played with any combo of DVA/Winston/Ball it's similar.

With Roadhog you still have good health and damage mitigation while healing and your hook is a real threat with less barriers so you can still make space for your team.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

I said come in! posted:

Really this isn't even launch day, it's just a new patch.

Yeah sure just like every wow expansion is just a patch. Queue was real quick for me though. 3k and I was in before I came back from making tea.

Feels pretty good. A bit of sketchy UI work though, Kiriko is already unlocked for OW1 players but in the battlepass she still shows locked because it's a later reward but I played a quick play match with her just fine. There was no way to tell until I was at the character select though.

Edit: I'm playing fill and getting DPS. Crazy. I guess the new support and 1 tank is evening things out.

DrBox fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 4, 2022

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

I said come in! posted:

This update literally doesn't add anything, it makes the character models look worse, and replaces the monetization.

Oh ok.

Anyway, I like they sped up the re-queuing between matches too.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Lister posted:

The official youtube channel put out a video with the most broadly generic, inspirational narration I've ever heard. It honestly sounds like a parody. I have no idea what the gently caress anything in this video is referring to and how it's supposed to relate to this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHiRgT9skFU

That was a great car/phone/airline commercial. Wait what are they selling again?

New Bastion is making people real mad in QP.

Edit: Servers truly hosed now for me. Disconnected and now the login screen just says 0 players in queue. I think they mean infinity.

DrBox fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 4, 2022

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

teagone posted:

Queued for comp, had a leaver on my team 1st match. Feels good to be back.

I'd avoid comp for now. Servers are pretty flakey.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

verbal enema posted:

Junker Queen owns and is my wife

Those abs~!

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
The asia server trick isn't working for me anymore. Had a 9k queue, got down to 0 then errored.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
Widow got a huge buff. She can one-shot server infrastructure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KaFoAaxG60

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

DarkAvenger211 posted:

If you own Overwatch 1 do you get that premium battlepass thing that unlocks Kiriko immediately?

No to the premium battlepass but yes to unlocking Kiriko immediately.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

I said come in! posted:

It blows my mind that this game has been running for 6 years, and they manage to screw up a minor patch pretending to be a major update. The literal only difference is that a logo artist put a 2 next to Overwatch. This was a really pathetic rebrand of the game in order to bring back people, and the pay off so far has not been worth it for anyone.

You're kind of a downer. Yeah the labelling is dumb and this should have been OW 2.0, not 2 but game is fun.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

adhuin posted:

Mornin' crew.
Last night didn't get in, so decided to just wake up early and play some games.
No queue and fun games, although Kiriko's buttons are wrong way around.
It should be Left for throwing left hand damage, right click for the right hand heals. Get it together blizz!!

Yeah I flipped them so it's like Baptiste and not like Moira.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

BabyRyoga posted:

Also, Re: aiming, because it has been way harder to aim in OW2, but also thought maybe I was just getting old or bad at games or something:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/xw23i0/is_it_just_me_or_does_ow2_feel_weird/

For those that feel the aim is off and didn't read the link, some are blaming the dynamic resolution. Turn that off and see if it helps.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Aipsh posted:

I’m a console pleb :nsa:. I really wish there was an FOV slider though, I saw a killcam of a genii slicing me directly in the head literally on top of my character model from a 60 degree angle that I could not see whatsoever.

There is an FOV slider on PC. Is that not the case for consoles?

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I'm utterly shocked at a lot of these decisions Blizzard is making towards this game. It just seems completely indefensable and utter lunacy to me.

You have to have a mobile phone to play? The game records your audio? Female players will have to prove they're biologically female to compete in female tournaments? I'd really like to sit down with the people who approved this stuff and ask them some polite questions.

And I'm not even getting into the gameplay stuff either.

The phone requirement and audio recording ones are arguably good if you care about smurfing, cheating, or having consequences for abusive voice chat.

My GF and another female friend have had rape threats and all sorts of horrible poo poo said to them in voice chat and if they don't record and transcribe those interactions there is no way to action a report. I'm glad they're going this direction.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Or you could just mute and report them. That doesn't require tremendous resources or questionable design decisions that can be used for financial analytics.

A report system without any way to verify the reports would lead to abuse and false bans. With the transcripts they get flagged on report and someone can read the toxic chat and take action.

I'm tired of "mute and move on". That's just passing the buck to the next team these assholes queue into. I want it recorded and actioned. There's no expectation of privacy in the public in game comms. Take off your tinfoil hat.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

BabyRyoga posted:

You say "would lead to abuse and false bans" in the potential sense, not as if Blizzard (and every other tech company, Youtube, etc) engage in this practice already.

I'm not sure what you mean. There are two options.

1. A player gets reported for abusive chat. Blizzard has no way to know of this was real or not so they wait for some arbitrary number of reports to finally take action. Still no way to know if a ban is justified.

2. A player gets reported for abusive chat. The in game voice was recorded and transcribed to text. They can either automate bans for certain words or flag it for someone to spend 30 seconds reading the transcript and take the appropriate action.

I vote for 2.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

BabyRyoga posted:

I mean that a lot of tech companies just ban people automatically when communities of other people brigade and mass report things. You see it in youtuber and twitch streamer drama all the time. You pretty much can't go a week or two without some higher profile youtuber in some category of content creation getting a video flagged for "nudity" or something when it's clear there isn't any in the video. Transcribing is better for sure, but it still does definitely need human review. Ideally, a human should check the transcript AND listen to the original for actual verification to account for accents/etc.

Oh, yeah. I agree with you. If it's all purely automated it might still have issues but that's another reason I'm in favor of the transcripts. In the event of an automated ban they can read the transcript on appeal.

No matter what it's better than the nothing they had before for voice chat.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Dick Jones posted:

Are cosmetics tied to your linked Battle.net account? I got into a server and I'm level 1 with nothing unlocked and no currency.

Theoretically yes. Are you on console and did you merge your account?

Edit: https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/news/23824001/cross-progression-is-coming-to-overwatch-2-account-merge-faq/

Not sure how well it works right now with the servers on fire.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Dick Jones posted:

I'm on PS4 but I haven't merged my account yet. I see the merge option there at the bottom in the OW2 main menu but when I select it, nothing happens. I just hear a little UI noise.

I play in PC so I haven't gone through the merge stuff but read through the FAQ in that link and see if it helps. Specifically this might do it?

How do I link my console account to Battle.net if it wasn’t automatically detected?
Here are the steps you can take to merge your console account to a battle.net account:

1. Login to Overwatch from your console account.
2. Follow the on-screen prompts to scan a QR Code on your mobile phone.
3. Enter the code displayed on your console to connect to or create your Blizzard Battle.net Account.
4. Once complete, you will be prompted to confirm your account upon the next game login to merge your accounts.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Dick Jones posted:

I linked my Battle.net account and console OW profile way back when cross play was added. Hopefully it's just a server glitch that gets cleared up over the next week. The thing that scared me was that I played a match and earned some XP. Hopefully that little chunk of XP I won doesn't overwrite my whole history.

Do you have all the characters unlocked? If you do, then it's probably just a glitch. Hope it works out.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
The game is a lot flankier now. No more goats style death ball vs death ball. If you're soldier you want to be looking for angles and picks, not padding stats by shooting at tanks from the back. This is one way where the scoreboard does a bad job of incentivizing optimal play. I was in a game where people were being lovely to our Genji because his damage was low, but he was mainly flanking around and getting picks on the healers to allow us to move forward rather than just spam M1 into a Roadhog.

Dick Jones posted:

So far in OW2 I've unlocked Genji, but I got scared and stopped playing in case I was writing a new server side playercosmetics_earned.dat file under my Battle.net ID.

That sounds like a brand new account then, not an OW1 account moving over. If you log in tomorrow and you still are not able to play the characters you normally would then you probably have to sort something out.

DrBox fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Oct 6, 2022

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
The shorter time between games in QP is making the game feel way more addictive. I was on this morning before work and two games in a row I was going to quit by the next game loaded so quick I just kept playing. It really helps with the "one more!" feeling when you're not waiting long. Before I would just leave game and reque but now there's no need.

Bottom Liner posted:

This is my only real criticism so far. Some of the new characters don't have very good silhuouettes and aren't quickly identifiable, doubly so with the skins.

They want to sell skins so probably would never do this, but I would like a stock skin only setting.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

surf rock posted:

- My experience as a support was pretty rough. I did a full game of Kiriko and, although there were a couple of fun moments, I had about half as much damage as the third-place finisher and maybe 40% as much healing as the Mercy, so I think I was Extremely Unhelpful

I'm really noticing the difference between a good and bad Kiriko. I stopped picking her because my mechanical skill just is not that high and I find I'm more impactful on almost any other support. A well played Kiriko is awesome though.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

BabyRyoga posted:

A company with a diversity scoring system made the most white-washed "japanese" character imaginable.

What are you looking for here? Thick accented voice lines? They literally made every ability tie-in to her ~Japanese heritage~.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
They are removing the phone requirement for existing accounts but it sounds like keeping it for new accounts going forward? Seems like a reasonable compromise that will still serve the purpose of making it harder to spin up new accounts for smurfing or cheating.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/overwatch-2-launch-status-update/700480

Blizzard posted:

SMS Protect
We designed Overwatch 2 to be a live service, which enables us to be responsive to a variety of player feedback. We have made the decision to remove phone number requirements for a majority of existing Overwatch players. Any Overwatch player with a connected Battle.net account, which includes all players who have played since June 9, 2021, will not have to provide a phone number to play. We are working to make this change and expect it to go live on Friday, October 7. We will update players once it is in effect.

We remain committed to combating disruptive behavior in Overwatch 2—accounts that were not connected to Battle.net as well as new accounts will still have to meet SMS Protect requirements, which helps to ensure we’re protecting our community against cheating. If a player is caught engaging in disruptive behavior, their account may be banned whether they have a new account or not.

As a team, we will keep listening to ongoing feedback and will make further adjustments in this area if it is required.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

poe meater posted:

So he's supposed to frontline with your tank? Is he actually able to do more damage overall to tanks versus a traditional ranged DPS when taking range/safety into account?

The most effective Reapers I run into are right behind our support killing them before we can react, then bursting down the tank.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Inept posted:

is blizzard's official line still "there's a ddos" and not "we aren't using a cloud provider and can't scale our poo poo"

Not exactly. The options sounded like they could take the game down for a day to scale up fast, or scale up slower while not impacting the servers and just keeping a reasonable queue in place. I'm not a big server architecture guy so I could not say if this explanation rings true.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/overwatch-2-launch-status-update/700480

Blizzard posted:

Queue Issues, Server Crashes, and Stability
Tl;dr: We have addressed some issues and are in the process of addressing others, but players should still expect to see queues.

Login queues, server crashes, and stability problems are intertwined, so we’ll talk about them together. Players may have been seeing their queue numbers jumping around, going from a small number to a larger number. This is due to there being two queues for players—one through Battle.net, then one through the game itself. This process is usually invisible to players, but was being seen in real time. We have made changes to simplify the queuing process, so players should now only be experiencing the one queue before entering the game.

There are several areas where we’re working to improve stability. Today we’ve patched a server that is critical to the login experience, and this change has increased login reliability. Beyond queues, we’re in progress with another server update that will reduce the occurrences of players being disconnected once they’re already in game.

Finally, the player database is being overloaded, which cascades and causes a backup in the login system, which eventually leads to some people being dropped out of queues or being unable to log in at all.

We’re continuing to add nodes to ease the pressure on the player database. The process of adding nodes requires replication of data, which inherently adds pressure to an already stressed system, so we’re doing it slowly to not cause any further disruption as devs and engineers work through separate issues. We are also currently throttling queues in order to protect the player database as much as we can while we scale—this feels bad in the short-term, but once it’s done, will greatly improve the experience for players across multiple fronts moving forward.

Bottom Liner posted:

So clearly the right solution is to impose personally invasive and gross verification screenings on those marginalized groups that make them feel even less welcome in the scene, right?

Like, they identified a problem and came up with the worst possible solution that only makes it worse, much like their diversity calculator tool.

What other solution is there besides verifying membership in a marginalized group in order to gate keep entrance into a tournament specifically for members of these marginalized groups?

DrBox fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 6, 2022

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

TenementFunster posted:

she’s a fictional character! millions upon millions of real people speak multiple languages without a noticeable accent regardless of their place of birth. someone in middle age should not find this remarkable.

you know blizzard had a meeting about the potential downsides of speaking unaccented american english vs. asking a voice actor to Do A Full Metal Jacket

also butthurt that in JP version of OW2, Kiriko is voiced by Fairouz Ai and i can’t pick that as an option.

Someone tell Sally Amaki (the voice actor) she sounds too white! I'm sure she'll appreciate that feedback.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Countblanc posted:

can yyou skip the Play of the Game

You can leave game and requeue as soon as you hear the announcer say victory or defeat, but you'll miss out on that sweet battle pass progression bar dopamine hit. Don't you want to see numbers go up!?

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Countblanc posted:

i can't hear anyone talk in-game, like the volumes are completely muted. i see the voices pop up like people are talking but it's just silence. i cranked the voice chat volume to max so I have no clue whats up, any ideas?

I'm not in game so I can't check, but it's there an option to select your communication device in audio settings?

Also make sure your windows audio settings have communication device as the same as your headphones or whatever output you use.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

teagone posted:

So the 7 wins, 20 losses thing for comp... I lost 9 in a row, but notched another win before maintenance a few min ago. Will I still get skill adjusted after 20 losses regardless of wins? Or did it like "reset" since I got that win just now and is back to counting W's instead?

It's whichever happens first. So theoretically the longest you could go without an adjustment is of you for example, won 6 matches and lost 19 for a total of 25 games. You would see an adjustment after the next game you play after that.

Behind the scenes though your MMR is being adjusted after every game.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
I really hope they take the feedback and make it better for the next season. Otherwise the interface is pretty cool. I like the challenges and things like how you only need to complete any 3 daily missions to get all the progress, but then it's all for nothing.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Jack Trades posted:

Cowboy's and Bastion's grenades should have a visual cue when they stick to you, like Echo's does, but they don't. It's bad.

Also I discovered today, after some testing, that Orisa's shield is loving weird and has unique properties that no other abilities do.
It acts like Genji's Deflect or Sigma's Absorb, where it interacts with projectiles but not beams, but until those it also for some reason blocks melee attack, which nothing else in the game does.
It has weird interactions where apparently Junker Queen's Ult is both an AoE Melee Attack AND an AoE Debuff, and Orisa's shield blocks one part of it but not the other.

poo poo's getting weird and it's obvious that they're getting less and less concerned about having consistent rules between character abilities.

I think it's more like DVA Defense matrix and Sigma's Kinetic Grasp.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Thumbtacks posted:

i have been in an any role quickplay queue for 15 minutes, is the game just broken

Mine are normally fast but I've had the queue get stuck a couple times. Still some server hiccups maybe.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

How does Sombra actually work these days? The F1 help screen says her hack disables abilities which is... not true? I think only her EMP ultimate actually disables abilities anymore. I think hacking makes enemies more vulnerable to damage.

Either way, the hero info screen seems out-of-date for Sombra.

I also don't like how they took out the ability to practice heroes in the training range from the hero gallery. You can only manually click through to the training range.

Also, is it just me or is it really finicky to cancel the automatic queue for the next match? You have to hit ESC for the cancel button to appear then click it to cancel out.

No it's still correct. The hack locks out abilities for a bit.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
If I cared about battlepass XP I guess I'd be enjoying constantly backfilling games.

My overwatch experience:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAjdxkk4FMM

DrBox fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Oct 8, 2022

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
I haven't played all that much because I was working all week but today I got a good afternoon 4 hour session today to play comp. I'm already at BP level 25 and only have the Coin Line weekly to go. Seems like most people would be able to unlock the new character for free in the second or third week.

DrBox fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Countblanc posted:

sure but my point wasn't really whether or not a team needed a specific subclass of character, it's that many people aren't going to know what "main healer" means

I don't even know what main healer is. Mercy and Ana sure, but the rest? No idea. Is Bap? Lucio and Zen definitely not.