Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Baseball is my favorite sport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Baseball is my favorite sport because its the reliable one in my life. The rest are all dirty one night stands and torrid affairs. Baseball is my love.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

STAC Goat posted:

We're thankfully never even considering ties and the one time an All Star Game ended in one we freaked out.

The only person who freaked out about it was Bud Selig, and that was because it happened at the national showcase of his shiny new stadium, and it resulted in the stupid horseshit of the All-Star Game determining home field advantage in the World Series for like fourteen years.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Red posted:

Does it? If each team gets the ghost runner, they have equal chances of tying it back and forth.

Yeah, each team has an equal chance of scoring in an inning (putting aside differences in roster talent and where in the batting orders they are/what the state of the bullpens are), but the most likely score at the end of each half-inning is 0, which means that the most likely outcome of each extra inning is a tie. Adding the zombie runner does succeed in the goal of adding more *variance* to the scoring. It's not more likely that the home team will score or the away team will score, it's more likely that one team will score a different number of runs than the other.

I hate the zombie runner, but I guess I lost that fight. Everyone involved except fans loves it.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I wouldn’t mind the ghost runner as much if it kicked in in the 11th or 12th. At least we don’t have 7-inning doubleheaders anymore.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

more falafel please posted:

Yeah, each team has an equal chance of scoring in an inning (putting aside differences in roster talent and where in the batting orders they are/what the state of the bullpens are), but the most likely score at the end of each half-inning is 0, which means that the most likely outcome of each extra inning is a tie. Adding the zombie runner does succeed in the goal of adding more *variance* to the scoring. It's not more likely that the home team will score or the away team will score, it's more likely that one team will score a different number of runs than the other.

I hate the zombie runner, but I guess I lost that fight. Everyone involved except fans loves it.

The debate/argument about this has already been had in previous iterations of this thread, but thanks for the wording. Ever since I realized it would get games into the sweet spot for programming time I figures it would be permanent

Baseball fans like extra innings, TV execs and advertisers hate it. Lorne Michaels once famously lost his poo poo over an NFL overtime cutting into SNL and I imagine most TV types are the same way

Although with streaming you could argue "who cares"?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

For regular season games, only 7 have gone to 13 innings since the ghost runner rule (2020). The year before, 37 games went to 13. I think it'd be better to just play 3 extra innings and call it a tie if it goes past 12. That's minimum one lap through the order like said up before.

I didn't count but number of games going past x does seem to drop off a cliff around 11-12 innings. So you're not really losing a ton of team record by having ties vs 162.

For playoffs you can add the ghost runner after the 12th if you really like it. I don't so I say let it ride.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Isentropy posted:

The debate/argument about this has already been had in previous iterations of this thread, but thanks for the wording. Ever since I realized it would get games into the sweet spot for programming time I figures it would be permanent

Baseball fans like extra innings, TV execs and advertisers hate it. Lorne Michaels once famously lost his poo poo over an NFL overtime cutting into SNL and I imagine most TV types are the same way

Although with streaming you could argue "who cares"?

Don't worry, I get 90% of my baseball opinions from Effectively Wild.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

bawfuls posted:

NPB has ties after 12

Mr. Baseball said it was 15 innings, but I'm guessing that's an old rule due to that being a 1992 film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG71XB7RVJI

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Isentropy posted:

It was even dumber than that - SNL was preempted by an XFL game.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The new position player pitching rules are dumb. Position players pitch in blowouts most of the time and it's a way to make a really boring game a little bit more exciting.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Luigi Thirty posted:

I wouldn’t mind the ghost runner as much if it kicked in in the 11th or 12th. At least we don’t have 7-inning doubleheaders anymore.

Yeah something like 40-45% of extra inning games don't make it out of the 10th and only about 30% make it past the 11th; so MLB could push the ghost runner rule back to the 12th without it being very obtrusive and pretty much eliminating the prospect of a 14+ inning marathon.

That would make the rule kind of a weird, rare little unlock rather than something you have to remember is a thing one out of every 10 games.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Posting the phrase “ghost runner” in reference to the very corporeal person on second base in extra innings should be an automatic 6er

Zombie Runner or Manfred Man, please

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
No

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

bawfuls posted:

Posting the phrase “ghost runner” in reference to the very corporeal person on second base in extra innings should be an automatic 6er

They're a ghost runner because they arrived there from a ghost plate appearance.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

bawfuls posted:

for a second I mixed up songs and was thinking that Beds Are Burning was by Manfred Mann and lemme tell you buddy, I had a great parody about extra innings that made full use of the rhyme but now it's worthless

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

bawfuls posted:

Ben Lindbergh account spotted

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

bawfuls posted:

What if they wore a Slimer costume while on the basepaths?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

General Dog posted:

They're a ghost runner because they arrived there from a ghost plate appearance.

"Ghost runner" has already been a thing with a clear meaning for decades though. It's the runner you pretend is on base when you don't have enough people for a full game, for sandlot or other mostly unorganized games

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

General Dog posted:

No, they are a zombie runner, resurrected from previous death (out) through unnatural means and returned to life in an unnatural state (on second base). They physically exist, they are there. They aren’t a phantasm we must all collectively imagine.

A ghost runner is already a thing, when you’re playing a game as a kid and don’t have enough people to occupy all the bases and still have a batter.

Manfred Man is also more appropriate than ghost runner, at least it places blame with the dipshit commissioner.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 14, 2023

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Ben Lindbergh account spotted
That nerd is right about this particular nitpick

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Zombies are very in right now and MLB should be praised for capitalizing on a trend 20ish years after it started instead of their usual 40.

I personally can't wait for my Vladimir Guerrero III funkopop in 25 years.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

zoux posted:

Games featuring position players pitching:
2016: 26
2021: 95

https://twitter.com/CodifyBaseball/status/1537474132392022016

Yeah and?

STAC Goat posted:

Baseball is my favorite sport because its the reliable one in my life. The rest are all dirty one night stands and torrid affairs. Baseball is my love.

Baseball is my favorite sport because it's the one I spent the most time watching with my dad growing up. Simple reason

e: Imagine watching Rendon hit a lefty dong off Brett Phillips and thinking "Hm this is bad"

Intruder fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 14, 2023

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

It should be called the Manfred Man because Manfred should be wrapped up in a douche (and thrown into a large plastic garbage can)

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

It’s kind of mind-boggling that here in the 2020s MLB can make rule changes (talking about the pitcher roster limit and the restrictions on position players pitching) where the underlying logic is “the pitchers aren’t getting physically run down enough” and everybody basically signs off on it.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Position players on the mound is one of the few entertaining things in a blowout game. Tell me you didnt like seeing Anthony Rizzo strike out Freddy Freeman.

Baseball needs to get out from up its own rear end. Anyone that ever stopped watching because the backup catcher was on the mound in a 16-1 game was never a fan to begin with.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

If you're down by 10 runs, you get to bring in the Pitch-O-Matic 5000 and crank it up to 100 MPH

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

That won’t help close the gap, though. Allow one inning of coach pitch and we’re getting somewhere.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Baseball needs to get out from up its own rear end. Anyone that ever stopped watching because the backup catcher was on the mound in a 16-1 game was never a fan to begin with.

Man I gotta work tomorrow

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Dinosaurs! posted:

That won’t help close the gap, though. Allow one inning of coach pitch and we’re getting somewhere.

Bring back dad pitch. One of the players dads comes out of the stands to pitch

zoux posted:

If you don't care to watch the position player pitching in a blowout you can probably just safely turn the game off

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Intruder posted:

Bring back dad pitch. One of the players dads comes out of the stands to pitch

Void when playing the Tigers

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

zoux posted:

I meant like "stopped watching mlb altogether because of this egregious offense to the game" which is apparently what MLB is worried about.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Long extra innig games were cool when I was in my 20s. This rule is fine.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

No one wants to be at the mercy of "their CF made the final out, our catcher made our final out" but you're already at the mercy of how your order happens to line up anyway

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Intruder posted:

No one wants to be at the mercy of "their CF made the final out, our catcher made our final out" but you're already at the mercy of how your order happens to line up anyway
At least you are for now. When MLB finally implements my 'reshuffle your lineup in the 9th' proposal, though...

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Red posted:

Mr. Baseball said it was 15 innings, but I'm guessing that's an old rule due to that being a 1992 film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG71XB7RVJI
NPB's rules on ties used to be real weird - used to be that a game ended in a tie after four and a half hours or 12 innings (whichever came first), or 15 innings in the Japan Series.

The above once led to the Japan Series going to an 8th game, which I think I've posted about before.

Also, my god the loving ghost runner :tizzy:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
LOL Only the yankees could lose their no 3 starter for a month before pitchers and catchers even report.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Just cackling at the image of every Manfred Man having to literally be Manfred.

Just delaying a game for three+ hours every time it’s needed so Manfred can be shoved in a jet and rushed to whatever stadium to stand on 2B during extras.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Just the idea of running reminds me that they were doing tryouts for a new The Freeze, idk what happened to the first one (guy on the grounds crew who happened to have been a college sprinter iirc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Just cackling at the image of every Manfred Man having to literally be Manfred.

Just delaying a game for three+ hours every time it’s needed so Manfred can be shoved in a jet and rushed to whatever stadium to stand on 2B during extras.
Manfred runner is the team's manager.