Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
He's among the least hateable Astros from the 2017 team.

I can deal with awkward weirdos as long as they play baseball good, come to Seattle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Big Mean Jerk posted:

:wtc:

Bregman holds the Most Hatable title for sure, but uhhhh Correa has to be #2 almost by default. Those two were, and still are to an extent, the most vocal deniers of the entire scheme.

Gurriel is #1, Bregman/McCullers/Altuve are all tied for #2. Correa is a solid in the 3rd tier.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
2022 Mariners season is over so here are some thoughts.

1. Julio Rodriguez is much better than I thought, and I thought I was being optimistic. Putting aside his weird start to the year he played at essentially MVP quality level (145-150+ wRC+ and average fielding in CF). Even if he just plays at that level for the next few years he's a legitimate franchise cornerstone player and the best to wear a Mariners uniform since A-Rod left.

2. The starting rotation is covered. Logan Gilbert made a big step forward in year 2, George Kirby's already the 2nd best starter on the roster and the gap between him and Luis Castillo isn't very large. Robbie Ray kind of is what he is but if he's the 4th starter in a rotation you're probably doing okay.

3. The rest of the lineup is up and down. Suarez solves the 3B question for probably the next year or two, and Ty France is solidifying himself as a good, not great, player. JP Crawford on the other hand took a big step back and has serious work to do with his swing to remain an MLB starter on a team with a responsibility to try and win the AL West every year for the next 4-5 starting next season. Jesse Winker looked like he had zero power all year and is dealing with a disk injury so who knows what to expect from him.

4. Jarred Kelenic looked like rear end to start the year at the plate but during his time back up at the tailend of the season he demonstrated a pretty positive process and is a legitimately great corner OF. I think that if he isn’t traded he’s probably on the team next year and they give the Kelenic in RF hope a shot again for a bit.

There are some departures looming (Adam Frazier, Mitch Haniger) but neither’s performance merits bringing them back. Look for the Mariners to be buyers in free agency and at the deadline for a middle infielder, a corner OF bat, and a mostly DH-sometimes infielder.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Intruder posted:

Is Kyle Lewis cooked/busting or was this just a down year after an injury?

Cooked and is also at odds with the organization, I'd be surprised if he ever plays again for the big league team.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Kirios posted:

Mariners are officially the Astros little brother. We can gently caress with them all we want but we will mess you up if you gently caress with them.

Would be great to beat the poo poo out of the Astros for the next 4-5 years, we didn't get to enjoy them blatantly tanking and playing the worst baseball imaginable in the NL Central for the early 2010s.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

seiferguy posted:

Kyle Lewis suffered a pretty horrific knee injury when he was in the minors that still bothers him to this day, the fact he got ROTY is remarkable. Add in that with the really bad concussion he got on the HBP and it's hard seeing him being any sort of contributor.

It's not really either of those.

There's something up with the way he recovered from his meniscus injury in 2021, he can barely move and doesn't seem to realize that.

Rumors are he did not handle being sent back down well in August.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Intruder posted:

You definitely got to see them tanking they just weirdly had the M's number anyway

I've excised as much of the 2013 and 2014 seasons as possible from my memory, sorry. Those years didn't happen.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

IcePhoenix posted:

This is Ichiro erasure and I want to call you out for it

Julio is better on the field than Ichiro.

He doesn’t have that feeling of “Best baseball player alive, even if he doesn’t do everything we know he can” during a game though.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Intruder posted:

Maybe in 2024. I have a hard time seeing the Angels trading him within the division, especially since I've read the Mariners emptied the farm for Castillo

It's a lot weaker than it was but that's primarily because of graduations, not the trade for Castillo.

I could see the Mariners putting something together for a year of Ohtani @ $30 million but I don't see Arte admitting defeat and trading him.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Hand Knit posted:

What would an Ohtani trade package look like? I feel like the Jays have at least the start of one in something like Moreno/Tiedemann/Gurriel but it's been a long time since I've paid such close attention to either the Jays' farm system or prospect trade values more generally.

Best the Mariners could do is like

Ty France
JP Crawford
Evan White/Jarred Kelenic/Taylor Trammell (Angels get their pick of as many and who they want)
Harry Ford
Bryce Miller
Lazaro Montes

And at that point you're well into just throwing a bunch of prospects after a superstar. On second thought that looks pretty short, M's probably can't make a real offer.

I'd imagine you can't get it done unless you're moving 2-3 actual major leaguers + 2-3 top level prospects

A hypothetical Jays deal would hinge around Bichette, probably? Adding him in with Gurriel, Kirk, and then your prospects would be tough to match/beat.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Intruder posted:

"What goes through your mind when you see this?"

https://i.imgur.com/hue7PAU.mp4

the arrow shot at the end takes it from an A to an A+

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
my all-time favorite one was someone doing a little tuck and roll into home plate to try and avoid a tag except it was super slow so they were just tagged anyway.

No idea who it was though.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Tony Phillips posted:

Dawning on me that there's plenty of players with a negative WAR, so there's gotta be some HR minimum I think.

There's probably someone even more terrible with more HRs, but Mariners legend Danny Meyer is sitting at -6.5 with 86 HR.

Good ol' worst hitter ever Bill Bergen is at -6.9 WAR with 2 HRs which might be the worst ever if ignoring any minimums.

Surprised to see Yuni was only at -2.4 bWAR.

All-time inverse correlation between quality of nickname and quality of player though.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Kirios posted:

Dude how many were you even alive for? How many do you remember?!

That 27 trash is why you're an awful fanbase that no one likes. There's a reason why you're the one team people would rather root for the cheating franchise over.

Yankees getting 1 more is preferable to the Astros getting any.

Sadly mcmagic was right and the team was actually good, not great, and their record was carried by an unsustainable run of healthy pitching.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Offseason and the Mariners are good and only have 2 or 3 real holes to fill.

What is this????

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Would be very interested in Swanson if he somehow hits the open market.

Less so in Turner. Boegarts and Correa are a wash for the Mariners, I think.

I really hope the team doesn't just give either Marco or Flexen a spot in the starting rotation without earning it. Both were terrible last year, and replacing 30 starts of Marco with 30 starts of '#3 starter' off the open market gets them probably a game or two closer to catching the Astros for the division.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Now that the season's all over Marco Gonzales' 2022 has got to be a record for the least amount of fWAR per IP from any modern starter who ended up with a positive fWAR at the end of the season.

.000055 over 183 innings gives you his grand total of 0.1 fWAR.

Penisaurus Sex fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Nov 10, 2022

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Some Numbers posted:

Too much Astros hype and not enough talk about the Mariners!!!

They’re shopping Marco and Flexen which cool, glad that Dipoto and Hollander realize that throwing either of those guys once every 5 starts isn’t a realistic way to win the division.

Hopefully one of the big dominos fall soon and we start to see some moves.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
https://twitter.com/davidlaurilaqa/status/1592266431764508672?s=46&t=0yeqLq_4gBBvIftE6ZEwHg

The #6org story begins a new chapter

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Best rookie season in Mariners history, very well earned.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Kirios posted:

Yeah, pretty sure Mariners are gonna take the Astros next year. Stacked roster for the next few years.

not unless they make at least one or two big moves this offseason and find bats for either SS/2B, both corner OF spots, and possibly DH.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Signing Rizzo in FA is a sign that maybe Crane is calling more of the shots now.

Good news for other AL fans I guess.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Julio’s biggest defensive issue is the throw in. He’s not always on target and missed a bunch of possible put outs.

Still a big surprise, no one thought he’d be even average in CF going into the season.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

zoux posted:

Lotta rookie surprises this year, how highly touted was J-Rod coming in

3rd overall and a legit possible superstar. Was looked at as an average RF with an elite bat and power, average speed and baserunning.

He would've been 2nd or 1st if anyone took him in CF or his speed seriously. Julio's success was a combination of hitting all of the optimistic ceilings of his bat and then blowing past them on his other tools.

e. May have misremebered on his initial ranking.

Penisaurus Sex fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 15, 2022

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Nodoze posted:

They might try and move Gleyber for a pitcher and play DJ at 2nd. They do still need an outfielder too, and the rumor is they like Yoshida. I'd be down with that as they definitely need more contact in the lineup if he got posted and wants to play there

wonder if the Mariners would be in on that if Gleyber's on the move.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Intruder posted:

From an Astros perspective since that's where he's coming from and they want to bring him back, given their pitching depth and pressing needs elsewhere I wouldn't want to bring him back at that AAV unless Crane is willing to go deep into the tax (which I doubt he is)

A team like the O's, Guardians, M's, Brewers with a lower payroll that's close and needs that one or two pieces may be more likely. Though I suspect the M's are gonna blow their wad on Correa instead

I don't see any way the Mariners would be in on him.

The only way it would make any sense is if he's still unsigned after they address at least a few major holes in the lineup and is amicable for a shorter term deal. He's not going to be unsigned in early December.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

When you have a chance to get a reliever coming off a supreme outlier year you gotta do it

Not as much of an outlier as it might look. Swanson's problem when he was starting was that he was throwing an absolute meatball changeup a lot of the time.

Since moving to the pen he dropped it and went with a pretty solid/great splitter instead.

He's an easy slot-in to an 8th inning/set up role and is probably the most dependable reliever who was in the Mariners bullpen last year.

mcmagic posted:

Macko is like the 8th ish best prospect on the M's? Not a huge haul.

Decent size and stuff, projects as a #3/mid rotation guy. He had a lot of fans in and outside the org and has decent upside into maybe flashing as a #2 sometimes.

Penisaurus Sex fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Nov 16, 2022

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Pungry posted:

Well, as a Mariners fan, I'm pretty happy about this trade. It makes it increasingly unlikely that Haniger will be back, which does make the fan in me sad, but Hernandez doesn't have a bad injury history. Left field remains a bit of a question mark since Winker's name is in a lot of trade rumors and Kelenic still doesn't look like an MLB-level hitter, but I'm happy about giving up a reliever and a far-off pitching prospect for Teoscar's + bat.

I imagine they try to solve LF via FA if possible. Kelenic starts the season as the 4th OF/defensive sub and if he starts getting results from the process he showed at the end of the season he gets more playing time.

Winker's going to be DHing a lot, even if it's just to get back into the swing of things as the season starts out.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Ya but they turned 1 year of control into 9! Atkins does it again!!!

Macko's an actual prospect and not just a lottery ticket so maybe it works out.

I was pretty confident Swanson would continue to be a good bullpen arm for at least another season or two based on how he pitches and how he was used in Seattle. No idea if the Jays generally keep guys shortened up to 3-4 outs per appearance though.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Its clearly to cut his 15 million off of the payroll. Otherwise you would just pay a reliever in FA.

Sometimes being cheap can work out!

I think the Mariners got the best side of this but it's not purely a dump for nothing and I like Swanson

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
I think the playoffs just shook out in a way where there wasn't much of a spot for him.

Scott was really, really into pitching matchups and drilling deep down into poo poo for the Astros series and they worked the hell out of Munoz/Brash/Sewald.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Kirios posted:

Strong contender for worst trade of all time - yeesh.

Pedro Martinez for Delino Deshields (sorry bawfuls)

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Culture/no room move for Seattle, hope he gets his head on straight and can stay healthy in Arizona. He's fun as hell if a healthy Kyle Lewis is still somewhere in him.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

live with fruit posted:

What's going on in Seattle? Lewis and Winker both traded/on the block for clubhouse reasons?

They’re two separate things.

Lewis was reportedly mad at the FO and coaching staff after his most recent demotion. There was friction going all the way back to his meniscus injury and rehab, he did a lot of it on his own and the lockout complicated things for the team. He also can’t move and hasn’t been a good hitter since 2020.

Winker pissed off some of the team vets. So far the only person to put their name on it, to my knowledge, is Ryan Divish. He has 2 main sources left in the clubhouse (Mitch and Marco) and has a history of being — let’s say — ambitious with his reporting?

Winker had a tough year and looked like dogshit at the plate but my read on it is the team attributes that mostly to his injuries. Probably still *some* tension there but Mitch is no longer a Mariner and Marco was almost traded at the deadline and will be shopped again so that might work itself out.

Penisaurus Sex fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Nov 18, 2022

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

zoux posted:

Ok just so we can settle this once and for all: who is the most moral baseball owner, and then only fans of that team can use "your owner is evil" as a thing going forward

Hal Steinbrenner was given an evil empire and has made it his life mission to destroy it and dismantle it so thoroughly it will never rise again.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Speaking of evil empires, I have no idea what the Yankees would be looking for in a hypothetical Torres trade.

Would they be looking primarily for upside or proximity to the bigs? starters, relievers, positional guys?

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
In not-Astros thoughts I’m really curious to see what kind of market there is for Mitch Haniger.

If he ended up at like 3/$40 with a club option for another year after that I’d feel good, that’s a good personal deal for him and the kind of deal the Mariners can walk away from and it be a good decision.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
The Yankees fans here going all the way back to 07 or 08 are the main reason I don’t hate the team.

It’s always been great to see different fanbases represented here with people who are good people and good fans. I hope that never changes.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Pat Wisdom is coming home (to Tacoma)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Red posted:

Hot Take: I feel that the largest players in MLB should be on the Giants

are we going by mass or volume?