Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

The shameful sell-off rebuilding Cubs: 74-88
The "competing" Angels, who had Ohtani and Trout: 73-89

Popete posted:

Cubs should sign Trea Turner

:hmmyes:

FlamingLiberal posted:

I assume that players like Brenden Davis and Pete Crow-Armstrong will probably be starting for the Cubs by midseason at the latest

Mervis, Davis, and Canario are all serious threats to break camp with the Cubs in spring, although I suspect we may see some or all held back for super-two shenanigans to work on their defense. Wicks, Brown, Kilian are also SP's in AA/AAA who I could see showing up next year, and if PCA continues his meteoric rise (and/or the Cubs have him skip straight to AAA, which is not impossible) he could be up by midseason as well. Don't wanna count prospects before they roost and all that, but it looks like good eating for Cubs prospects next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Also the Cubs for the first time in like a loving decade and a half have shitloads of upper-minors pitching depth both for the pen and the rotation and they also drafted roughly a quintillion pitchers in the draft this year so it's entirely possible they trade some of their arms for an actual bonafide ace or AS-caliber bat.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Cubs absolutely need to go after one of the big SS FA's. Honestly and I know I'll get poo poo for this, but Madrigal sucks and if you can get Turner to agree to shift to 2B that's the optimal outcome. If none of them will move then gently caress it Correa at SS and Nico at 2B is still two GG's up the middle. Mervis and Wisdom can platoon at 1B, have Morel work on his throws and man 3B. Assuming he doesn't get hurt Davis should be up sooner rather than later and can hold down CF until PCA arrives, then shift to LF.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

lol eat poo poo, hope he's out of the game for good.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Is it bad if my first thought on the 134 number was "really that's it? Less than one per game!" :v:

Carlosologist posted:

I don’t necessarily think Rizzo will opt out of his deal. Aging 1Bs tend to not get big contracts and I think Rizzo’s current deal is fair enough. Also I love him and I want him to be a Yankee until his career is over

I tend to agree but it's also worth remembering that we're getting an IF shift ban next year and Rizzo is traditionally one of the most heavily shifted on players in the game, so he may stand as one of the best to benefit.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
This was the first year of Rizzo's career in the statcast era that OAA rated him as a below average defender at 1B. Could be age, could be his back issues, could just be some flukieness.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

7 years ago today

99% of things that happened pre-2020 feel like another lifetime ago to me at this point but somehow I just can't believe the 2015-2016 Cubs were 6-7 years ago. It feels like yesterday.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Welcome Rays fans, drinks are over by the buffet table.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Sydin posted:

Welcome RJays fans, drinks are over by the buffet table.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

DurosKlav posted:

Go everyone but the Dodgers, Yankees. or Mets.

:hmmyes:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
There's been a bunch of smoke around Contreras to the Cardinals and maybe it's my homerism but I just can't see it. The Cardinals have for years operated with Yadi: the most exemplary defender, framer, and game caller behind the plate in the game. Contreras can absolutely mash and he's got a cannon, but he's also subpar at defense, framing, and game calling. Just feels like it would be way too much of a system shock to the Cardinals pitching staff.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Well Played Mauer posted:

Maybe get a pitcher in return. I hear Montgomery has some experience pitching in New York.

lmao

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
He also said the Cubs are in the early stages of trying to extend Ian Happ which is... surprising to put it mildly. Like yeah Happ had a great year and by all accounts loves Chicago and wants to stay a Cub for life but also the Cubs have a ton of OF prospects (half of their top ten in fact!) and in particular Davis and Canario look to basically be MLB ready. IDK maybe if they can extend Happ on a reasonable deal they'll trade some of the depth away for impact-now talent?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/CodifyBaseball/status/1575652104307212289

lol most teams had a guy who threw more 97+ MPH pitches for a strike in one outing than the Cubs threw combined all season. Not great!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

STAC Goat posted:

Wait... 12? Clearly I'm spoiled and my perspective is skewed since the Yankees like trippled up most of the league but how is that even possible? Do the Cubs just have one reliever who throws hard who got traded? Was it Effros?

Effross can't throw that hard, and neither could anybody in our pen this year, really. Alzolay and Wesneski can dial it up to 96-97 if they absolutely max out, which isn't often (also both didn't show up until the last month of the season). Stroman, Steele, Keegan, Smyly, Assad, and Sampson all average in the low 90's, Miley in the high 80's. ManRod was throwing triple digits last year but his velo was way down this season. Cubs just don't have a lot of velo at the MLB level right now, although based on the recent drafts they seem to be trying to work towards fixing that.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
lol he deleted it

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/PatrickKFlowers/status/1579948614289612801

There's quite a bit to unpack in this one, but Joe specifically talks about his exit from Chicago a lot more than I think he ever has before, and lol it's pretty much exactly what I expected:

quote:

According to Maddon, his downfall in Chicago started after the 2018 loss to the Colorado Rockies in the National League Wild Card Game.

“We had, what was it, 2018? We lose to the Rockies in a playoff and a Wild Card game,” Maddon said. “After this really, absolutely insane schedule at the end of the year, and then 2019, even that last month, we were not in bad shape and then everybody got hurt going down the stretch drive. There’s were so many good things happening there, in every department of that organization. So, I really wish that we had been able to stay together a little bit longer. But it just seems after we lost in 2018, things changed. There were player meetings at the end of the year, and I was called back in and made aware that some of the things I was doing, the players were not liking as much, or even the front office wasn’t liking as much. And I had to change and understand the Millennial player better. So, it kind of caught me off guard ’cause I had not really seen it that way.”

“But also, I thought OK maybe I am wrong here, because I want to do this longer and I like these guys a lot. I like being here, so I made an attempt to make some adjustments, but we got into 2019. Even in Spring Training, I do something called ‘the bulls.’ I was to pick the lead bulls, the most influential guys on the team, to create team policy. But then all of the sudden, that had to be done through a vote among that players, and that wasn’t my idea.”

By Spring Training of 2019, Maddon had lost much of his say over the way that the team operated, something he believes he should have stood his ground on more in hindsight.

“In season I had different methods. I don’t like hitting a lot on the field for a day game after a night game. And you know, of course we played a lot of day games, so my concern was always keeping the guys fresh. But a lot of that method was taken away from me. Even bus times on that road, and how early they wanted guys at the ballpark. My whole program. The things that I’ve done were kind of blown up, and then, by the middle of the season, I realized maybe I wasn’t wrong. Maybe, you know, the stuff that I had been doing, I should have stood for more firmly than I did.”

Emphasis mine, literally "Am I out of touch? No, it's the children who are wrong."

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

STAC Goat posted:

It can be a misinterpretation but I kinda read him as pushing up against organizational mandates more than the players. I dunno. It’s kind of phrased in a passive voice kind of way. “There was a players meeting and then I was informed there was a problem.” So is he just trying to avoid saying players revolted or is he saying the front office was being a third party disrupter? But that last quote seems to be talking specifically about organizational scheduling and practice stuff. But of course it’s all one side of the story.

He talks about it more in the parts of the interview regarding his exit from the Angels, but essentially it sounds like Joe's view of FO's and analytics is that they serve a purpose, but shouldn't have direct influence or say in lineup construction or on-field decisions. He wants the FO guys to crunch the numbers and identify the best talent to get for the roster in the offseason, and provide scouting reports to coaches and managers, but for the coaches and managers to be the ones to decide if and how to convey that information to the players or action it on the field. He specifically talks negatively about how the Angels FO would give him a list of pitchers who should be available on any given day, or even calling him in the dugout mid-game to tell him what bullpen guy to start warming up. "I want baseball guys making baseball decisions and front office guys making front office decisions" in other words, basically the total opposite of how the "modern" FO works and expects to wield power.

And in a sense I do get it: if the FO gets to decide who's on the roster and who the starting lineup is and who is available out of the pen, what the hell is the manager even there for other than to massage the clubhouse? But that's just how baseball is trending, and if Joe's stated stance that he's only willing to come back to managing if he gets full control over lineups and in-game decisions then I think he's managed his last team, for better or worse.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Correa turned 28 a little under a month ago and just put up a 140 wRC+ season and plays a premium defensive position, there will be a solid deal for him out there. Yeah he's a douchebag but as we discussed with Chapman that gets tolerated when you're putting up elite results between the lines. My guess is he will look to at an absolute minimum match the Seager contract (10/325) given their similar age and track record over the same number of seasons (130 vs 129 wRC+). Correa's glove took a noticeable step back this season according to OAA, but all the other defensive stats love him and it could just be new ballpark flukiness so :shrug:

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Sucks that all the good FAs are shortstops. Cubs need corner infielders.

Should go get Xander if the Red Sox don't extend him first. He can play 3B and Mervis/Wisdom can platoon 1B.

Alternatively, I would not be surprised to see the Cubs make a big trade. They have an absolute log jam in the OF pipe with Happ/Suzuki/Morel already up, Canario/Davis/PCA ready in the 1-2 season range and Cassie/Alcantara ready in 3-4. Throw in some pitching prospects on top and the Cubs could swing something pretty big, imo.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I meant more their general attitudes, even without the domestic abuse Chapman is just kind of a dickhead and it was known and tolerated until he started to suck.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

IcePhoenix posted:

I never really got rear end in a top hat vibes from correa this year tbqh

https://twitter.com/TalkinBaseball_/status/1575608943883079681

I get what he's trying to say, but lol, okay bro. "When I want something, I get it" yeah even if you gotta cheat for it :jerkbag:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
He's less obnoxious than Bregman so that's... something, I guess?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

R.D. Mangles posted:

THROW ME A FASTBALL BRO. YOU COWARD STRIKING ME OUT WITH CURVEBALLS. THROW A FASTBALL.

That was against Joe Kelly though who's also a cloying rear end in a top hat, so it's a wash.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
If the Cubs sign Correa I will cheer for him to hit dingers, it's just that if the Cubs are actually going to sign one of the big SS FA's and I had a choice, I would rather it not be the entitled baby who banged the cans.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

seiferguy posted:

Well uh, this doesn't bode well for the guy:

https://twitter.com/MarinersSUR/status/1582397824209416192?s=19

Absolutely makes sense given he lost all his strength and was a horrid defender.

At this point you just have to assume he doesn't like or want to be in Seattle, right? He was perennially a plus-plus bat until totally falling off this year, and he's only 28 so it's not like he hit an age wall or anything. Throw this in on top and it just seems like he's not getting along with anybody.

Hand Knit posted:

What would an Ohtani trade package look like? I feel like the Jays have at least the start of one in something like Moreno/Tiedemann/Gurriel but it's been a long time since I've paid such close attention to either the Jays' farm system or prospect trade values more generally.

My guess is the Angels would want a king's ransom under the expectation that anybody who trades for Ohtani is immediately going to go all in to extend him long term. Soto-level returns as a baseline, would be my guess.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
IIRC There was an estimate that Othani brings in $20-35M extra revenue for the Angels above and beyond other players because of his marketability, popularity, and appeal in Japan. If that's true then it's also possible that the Angels won't trade Ohtani, and instead use him as part of the pitch to potential buyers: hey not only will you get the Angels but if you immediately go all in and extend Ohtani, you'll get a guy who brings in a ton of extra dollars. Which would actually be the opposite of the Soto situation, where he got dumped because potential new owners didn't want to inherit the bad will that would come with refusing to give Soto the $500M extension or whatever he wants.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Hand Knit posted:

This goes back to me not understanding prospect values. I'm with you that the trade would take a king's ransom. I just don't have a good feel on just how much the Jays would have to put together to ransom King Ohtani. I mean it obviously starts with Kirk/Moreno because that's the best trade piece they have to offer. And then Tiedemann is their next best prospect (I think) and Gurriel is a decent player being displaced. The question is, I guess, how much more and how good would the Jays have to add to that. (And, I guess similarly, what's the trade value of guys like Orelvis Martinez.)

It all kinda depends on the Angels own internal scouting of the Jays farm. Prospect rankings are fun for our benefit but FO's don't really put much stock in them: they have their own proprietary evaluations of their farm and the farms of potential trade partners. It's possible the Angels will demand guys you've never even heard of, or say your "top" prospects actually suck by their internal reckoning and they want MLB-ready talent instead.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Cubs should trade for Ohtani and also pick up Senga when he gets posted this offseason. Just bring in all the cool Japanese players.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Nico not being a finalist at SS is some BS. Tied for second in OAA with Lindor and absolutely passed the eye test.

Also :lol: at Yelich being a finalist, he was an absolutely dogshit defender this year. Did they just pick names out of a hat?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Rangers hire Bruce Bochy as manager

Not as bad as TLR, but just stay retired my dude?

lol what the gently caress

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

lol cowards

Are the Ricketts still dodging the Cubs convention because of that one time Tom got relentlessly booed?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

more falafel please posted:

No, they announced the dates for it, Jan 13-15.

No I mean the Ricketts used to have a panel at the convention where they'd take fan questions. But during the '19 convention where the Cubs not only didn't even kick the tires on Harper, but did absolutely nothing with their biggest signing being Daniel Descalso, Tom got heckled by the audience after he cried poor as the reason for why they didn't make bigger moves. After that they canceled the panel and AFAIK it's never come back.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

"HEY! STAR! HEY!" :sigh:

(referring to Starlin Castro)

Also Cubs won the pennant 6 years ago today :toot:

One of my favorite games to go back and watch in full because the broadcast starts off sucking Kershaw's dick like a vacuum while talking about how Maddon can "maybe hope" to get 3-4 out of Kyle. And then whoops lol we get one of the most iconic October Kershaw choke jobs while Hendricks is pitching the game of his life and Buck/Smoltz go through like the five stages of grief realizing what's happening. :allears:

Also gently caress you Joe six years on and I'm still mad you pulled Kyle in the 8th, he could have gotten that GIDP just as easily as the wife beating piece of poo poo.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Mustached Demon posted:

Kershaw didn't have a terrible game either. It wasn't good nor anywhere near good-Kershaw but it wasn't a bad outing. If they won that game the story would have been "he pitched good enough." Except cool Kyle was determined to go to the WS and no dodger bat was gonna stop him.

He didn't have his slider at all and was very clearly being shook by the crowd. So it was just FB/CB mostly. Also he inexplicably tried to do the drop-down side arm FB thing to Rizzo even though Rizzo was all over that pitch previously and was then shocked when Rizzo took him yard.

more falafel please posted:

Yup, 3 baserunners. Two singles given up by Kyle one his first pitch and last pitch, both erased by GIDP, one BB from Chapman also erased by GIDP.

Kyle was striking guys out swinging throwing 90 at the top of the zone, it ruled.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Well Played Mauer posted:

Maybe their tactical decisions affect a 1-game swing, but culturally it has to have a larger impact. Everyone's worked a place where the management culture was dog poo poo. You can't tell me that the person responsible for maintaining cohesion and keeping people focused over what's basically a crunch schedule for 6-8 months has a minimal impact on performance.

Yeah clubhouse culture matters and absolutely has an impact on performance that can't be easily quantified. Sorry but if the Phils stick with Girardi I don't think they even sniff the postseason.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Paracaidas posted:

Given Lindsey's posting bonafides I'm guessing this is like Arif and a number of others choosing to GTFO of NYT's extremely restrictive social media & social issues policies. At least, hoping it was her choice. But then, cutting back on NYT/Athletic coverage overlap would make sense to shortsighted morons and Lindsey's the easier to drop if that's the goal.

It's actually infuriating realizing that stuff like the bombshell reporting on Callaway that finally exposed his serial abuse and got him run out of the league is now heavily discouraged if not outright prohibited by NYT's management. The Athletic was such a breath of fresh air in sports journalism and now it's been absolutely ruined by chaining it to a loving rag primarily interested in :decorum:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Intruder posted:

https://twitter.com/Urshela10/status/1584530173202157569

I guess Gio decided to do a little trolling

Pretty healthy mix if fans who say they miss him and fans who are angry about it

e: actually it's weighted more in the "Donaldson sucks we miss you" direction

I mean to be fair Cashman flat-out said Gio "is no Josh Donaldson" about the trade so were I in his shoes I'd be taking a little victory lap too.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://www.nj.com/yankees/2022/10/giants-on-mission-to-steal-aaron-judge-from-yankees-they-wont-be-underbid.html

quote:

The Giants have targeted Judge and are prepared to spend whatever it takes, a person with knowledge of the Giants’ thinking told NJ Advance Media after meeting with members of the franchise’s ownership group. The person, who isn’t authorized to speak on behalf of the team, was granted anonymity.

“Judge is at the top of the Giants list and they won’t be underbid,” the person said. “If they miss out, it won’t be because of money.”

The person added that the Giants planned to entice Judge further by signing at least two-high priced free agents.

“The Giants are not going to stop with Judge,” the person said. “They have so much money freed up.”

Honestly I expected the Giants to sit it out a couple years given the surging Dodgers and Padres, so it'd be neat if they said actually nah gently caress that noise and went all in on signing Judge + a couple other top tier FA's. That said Judge's all fields HR approach would get suppressed to hell and back by Oracle.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Oh my god just gently caress off old man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
idk about Boone but I think at least right now the disconnect between fans and industry people regarding Cashman is that Cashman has historically been one of the best GM's in the league, but he honestly kinda stunk it up this year in some very visible ways. The Donaldson-Gio swap turned out to be a straight downgrade, big name SS's like Seager/Story/Correa were passed up in the offseason for a cheaper IKF trade who Cashman assured everybody would break out and then he didn't, the whole missing out on Castillo but still trading away Montgomery fiasco, and trading away one of their better and MLB-ready pitching prospects in Wesneski for Effross, only to see Effross quickly go down for 18 months needing TJS while Wesneski excelled with the Cubs down the stretch. And those are just the ones I remember as a casual outside observer, I'm sure mcmagic could crack open the ancient book of Yankee fan grudges and pile more on.