Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Cubs should first, above all else, give Wilson Contreras lots of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Know who didn't lose to the Phillies this year?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

mcmagic posted:

The Dodgers are becoming Yankee level playoff gaggers.

This is possibly the meanest thing mcmagic could ever say about another team.

I love baseball and the chaos it brings.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Chicago's on a west coast, come play for the Cubs.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Are he and Seiya buddies? If not, they should be.

Also the coast in Chicago is very much on the east side.

I probably should have thought this through more. My definition of "on a western side of a body of water" includes the likes of the Mets and Yankees. We don't want that. I need to do better if we're to land him.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Intruder posted:

"What goes through your mind when you see this?"

https://i.imgur.com/hue7PAU.mp4

Aside from it being funny by itself, this also reminds me of the Mariners commercial where Rodney's arrow ruins some A's fan's blow up thing.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Sydin posted:

One of my favorite games to go back and watch in full because the broadcast starts off sucking Kershaw's dick like a vacuum while talking about how Maddon can "maybe hope" to get 3-4 out of Kyle. And then whoops lol we get one of the most iconic October Kershaw choke jobs while Hendricks is pitching the game of his life and Buck/Smoltz go through like the five stages of grief realizing what's happening. :allears:

Also gently caress you Joe six years on and I'm still mad you pulled Kyle in the 8th, he could have gotten that GIDP just as easily as the wife beating piece of poo poo.

Kershaw didn't have a terrible game either. It wasn't good nor anywhere near good-Kershaw but it wasn't a bad outing. If they won that game the story would have been "he pitched good enough." Except cool Kyle was determined to go to the WS and no dodger bat was gonna stop him.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Reminder that the NL Champion Philadelphia Phillies went 0-6 vs the cubs this year.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Sydin posted:

https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/1585642390895091716

Cubs have zero interest in extending by the way, lol.

Came to share this and say gently caress you ricketts if you do not re-sign him.

Edit: English hard

Mustached Demon fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 27, 2022

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I'm happy Ian Happ was recognized as good.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

They should have been more careful, that could have popped him and released the eldritch horrors trapped within.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I'm terrified that the Cubs are gonna sign an old washed-up player for way too long

There are worse signings out there than bringing Rizzo back for good.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Sydin posted:

The Cubs might are somehow less embarrassing than the Bears and Bulls right now, lol.

Cubs have won a championship in the last 20 years.

Now if they'd be cool and offer Willy a pallet of cash.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

It's a deer, he's doing a huge service to nature since we killed off all the good predators in the US.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

That's a great name for a pitcher and I hope a cub hits a dinger off him.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Popete posted:

This is fine because the Cubs are going to sign Trea Turner.

They're busy digging through dumpsters for soft tossing command guys.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Sydin posted:

Our current roster is like 30% scrappy utility infielders lol

That'll set them up perfectly to have an excellent second half when they're so far out of contention it doesn't matter.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

maffew buildings posted:

I don't know how you can possibly call a rotation whose starters will average out to 90mph on their 4 seamers (maybe more when Cool Kyle gets that average velo up to 88) "soft tossing" but you do you while I chill out here in the 'Christopher Morel NL MVP' zone

Reason #47308 why the cubs need to give Willy a pallet of cash: someone needs to tell future MVP Morel to breathe from the on deck circle.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Edward Mass posted:

New fans don’t need all the games. New fans need a single team’s games, unless they’re Rob Lowe in an NFL hat.

Have single team subscription plans that give a cut to the team's network. Probably won't go for it because that doesn't give the money a cable provider does. Shoot you could even let the network do their ads instead of the same 3 ads MLB tv shows all season.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

GalacticAcid posted:

Ads are ugly and annoying. “Hurr durr soccer does it” yea soccer is also two continuous 45-50 minute blocks of play while baseball has a million built-in stoppages ripe for commercial breaks. I can grudgingly see the case for making soccer players into bipedal billboards, I cannot for baseball.

“MLB‘s always had tons of ads get over it” okay but they didn’t have ads on uniforms, which is the present subject.

“There are bigger problems in the world” true and I’m not going to fix those either. However I can and will still complain.

Soccer's also ran (I guess?) by the most corrupt international organization on the planet. Don't be like soccer.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Intruder posted:

Cubs looking to make a bang this offseason

They're meeting with everyone to give the illusion of trying before signing some scrappy AAAA guys and soft tossing command guy.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Sydin posted:

It's this, Cubs brought in a new GM to partner with Jed who was the former head of scouting and development for the Guardians, and apparently he's big on the impact of defensive catchers.

He's got a sweet pickoff move and didn't blow a 3-1 world series lead. Don't see what's the problem with his defense all things considered.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

He throws way too hard for the cubs.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I am now dead inside.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Pretty sure Mariano Rivera is the Mariano Rivera of closing.

Speaking of, would he have been a good addition for talking about the history of baseball? It was interesting reading top 10 baseball history dudes until the DEALS started happening. When I think of bullpen superstar, I just think of Mariano Rivera. Others but he's always the first one I think of. Maybe it's just because modern bullpen guys throw so hard they typically burn out faster.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Sydin posted:

I kinda feel like Bellinger is gonna get as many chances as he wants. Dude had huge prospect pedigree and won RotY and MVP at one point, guys with way less success under their belt continue to find deals in perpetuity. I obviously hope he rights the ship with the Cubs but even if he totally faceplants there will be another team willing to throw 1/10 at him on the hopes he'll bounce back to MVP form.

He'll do a reverse Hayward yup 100% guaranteed. That's why they're not gonna sign Bogaerts.

At least that's what I tell myself.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

All the cubsposters should band together and buy the angels. I'll pitch in :10bux:.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I am completely on fire and I hate it.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Sure would be nice if the Cubs made a big deal.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

maffew buildings posted:

can't believe the Cubbies are holding off on announcing Cool Carlos, beloved teammate by all, is coming to Wrigleyville wow just get it public guys

They need time to get the clubhouse cans ready.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Everyone knows the smartest player in the MLB is Kyle Hendricks, they even made him a professor.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Poque posted:

They will extend him for $200 million by May

You can do that with players under team control?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

R.D. Mangles posted:

It's fine if the Cubs are going to tread water for another season but don't open your mouths about how THE CHECKBOOK IS OPEN and WE'RE GOING TO TRY NKT TO BE DOGSHIT and then sign young Jason Heyward, a decent pitcher, and let Contreras go to the loving cardinals.

They're not done yet. Bound to be a few other reclamation projects out there for cheap.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Cubs are probably done making any FA deals.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Hmm I think the Cubs should do something.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

R.D. Mangles posted:

I think Rodon is a time bomb because he was always hurt with the Sox, but he's good enough to be worth the risk.

We know Rodons likely to do well because the Cubs aren't in on him. He's definitely not a reclamation project.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

R.D. Mangles posted:

I think Swanson will basically be Jason Heyward and doesn't solve the problem of them having literally no bats in the lineup, but I want the Cubs to give him $250 million just to spend some fuckin money.

They could just give the cubsposters $250 million for their efforts at posting. Better than what they're doing now with that much cash.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

R.D. Mangles posted:

that's not true, pete Ricketts is going to really be an integral part of the Senate's Immiseration Committee

Yeah it takes a lot of money to make enough copies of the trans person erasure bill for every state that wants one.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Illinois has codified both abortion and unionization in their constitution since the Ricketts came to town, so they haven't actually accomplished anything in their home state on the political front.

Unionized abortion doctors/nurses hell yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Intruder posted:

I'll always have a soft spot for the 2020 season (but not the year itself lol gently caress 2020) for the Athletics putting on their big boy pants and shittalking the Astros, getting blown out by them in the playoffs, then turning into.... this a mere two years later

e: If you count the Dodgers in 2020 then you have to count the Lakers in 2020 so 2020 shouldn't count :v:

The Lakers in 2020 was entirely to honor the memory of Kobe.

I'll allow it.