Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I’d believe that for the regular season, but it’s gotta be a bigger swing in the post season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

https://twitter.com/dcsportsbog/status/1587608131428835329?s=20&t=CLRLgSCEeAJKT_5QF7vw5A

The O’s-Nats clusterfuck over their RSN is going to be a sore point in a Nats sale and MLB is stepping in to try and resolve things. Also Leonsis’ group (owns Caps, Wiz, and Mystics) appears to be the front runner.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Good Dog posted:

I still don't like the city connect jerseys either. They look like knockoffs you'd buy at a big 5 or target on the way to the game.

Remember how high we felt coming off that Detmers shutout where the Angels teed off all night and Rendon went lefty and the Angels were like 20-10 to start the year? Then we lost 15 in a row or whatever. I think I watched every game up till that point and didn't watch another game after the losing streak.

The Angels city connect unis are great. They have a lot more personality than their regular ones. I generally agree with you on red, though. As a Nats fan, something a little softer than 255 0 0 would be nice.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Kirios posted:

Why does it look like the Marlins M

My first thought too. Also, didn’t the twins do a uniform refresh a year or two ago? I swear I remember it including a powder blue alt.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

MrMidnight posted:

So much for using the young kids at SS

That’s been a losing strategy since 1945

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I predict baseball fans arguing about the Astros peters out when their window closes. A season or two at the bottom of the division will reset everything.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

ihatepants posted:

Asdrubal Cabrera did not like this batter pimping his homerun in Venezuelan Winter League

https://twitter.com/JomboyMedia/status/1594158883098042368?s=20&t=9X6FsATB-9nmzqo_z73jhg

I think the pitcher is the one that shoves him too

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Hell of a deal. How’s their farm? Are they still going to be puke next year?

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Sab0921 posted:

I hope he goes in with a Tom Emanski hat

:hmmyes:

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

That’s a ridiculous AAV for a 39 year old, even if it’s Verlander.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Ridiculous that Trea’s speed hasn’t declined. Good for him for getting paid. NL East is going to be a bloodbath. Balanced schedules mean they can’t feast on the Nats, either.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Booo I wanted to see him go west coast

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Where are the Pirates? Thought they’d be top 3

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Does Globe Life Field not count? Can’t think of any other time baseball has been played there.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Stethoscope indicated he has an off-speed heartbeat.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Wild news to wake up to. I love that Cohen is spending and hope this is just the Giants getting cold feet instead of a serious injury being around the corner.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I think that guy got the wrong message from Glengarry Glen Ross.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/emmabaccellieri/status/1608522755078770690

Good ones this year, I still think JV's Wow is the best pitcher reaction

Good compilation. Verlander’s wow is great, but I gotta go with John Lackey screaming gently caress. Although I can’t remember if that was from a home run.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

gently caress cancer. You got this, Liam.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Didn’t that happen with Harper in ‘19? I think they started promoting it before he signed and the ads initially had him in a blank gray uniform.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

What a wild ordeal

I wonder what mega deal he could have signed if boras hadn’t convinced him to take a one year with the Twins so he could get his own payday.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Intruder posted:

you have to know what a crumpet is to understand cricket

… a Jose Canseco bat?

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Sydin posted:

https://twitter.com/dcsportsbog/status/1613652312987246614

The tl;dr from the article is that the main hangup to selling the Nats is that their broadcasting rights are owned by an RSN the Orioles and Nats have a joint stake in, and there's an outstanding lawsuit over the Nats potentially being owed hundreds of millions of dollars. There's also no idea what the broadcasting revenue will look like going forward either and any potential buyers want it all cleared up before they agree to buy. Also not helping the situation is that thanks to the Nats fetish for deferred money they currently have ~$250M of debt on the books locked up in deferred salaries. :allears:

Looking like a sale might just not be possible right now.

What a mess. I’d say I’m surprised Selig allowed the Expos to move without settling the broadcasting rights, but creating a big problem through inaction while taking shortsighted credit is certainly his thing.

Stealth edit: I suppose I’m speaking so broadly I just described the entire PMC

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I don’t necessarily have a problem with challenging pitches if it’s quick, but is MLB going to pass up the opportunity to draw it out over a commercial break, or even a long ad read?

Are they going to need to rewrite the rules about umpires arguing balls and strikes? I’d love to see Angel Hernandez get tossed from losing his poo poo because of an overturned call.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

That’s where my head went too. Was watching the game with a couple buddies who are Mets fans. An absolute dirty play. Utley didn’t even begin sliding until he’d reached the base. It hurt hearing Ripken go on and on defending it too.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Just be incapable of watching local baseball because you refuse to buy an outrageously expensive cable package and you won’t need to worry about gambling ads at all!

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

drat that’s good

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

So sorry, Angels fans. That statement sure reads like Moreno didn’t get the offer he wanted.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I’ve flip flopped on it a couple times over the years, but the capital ‘h’ Hall should enshrine glory. Everything else is for the museum that the hall itself sits in. The writers can largely be assholes, but that also gives the Baseball Hall of Fame it’s credibility. No one cares about the HOF for the other sports. They let everyone in.

And yes Bonds, McGuire, Sosa, Clemens, et al should be in.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Lmao a crown jewel? Lol

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

So is the patch on both sleeves? Dependent on how a player throws/bats? Or is this just a horrendous mock-up?

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I support balanced schedules across a league, but the amount of interleague play being introduced this season makes having two leagues feel arbitrary.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I’d be down with leagues getting an East-West realignment. Dividing things up gets tricky once you hit the great lakes, though.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

It's a little bit of a crossover post, but Jerry Reinsdorf did poo poo to improve the unbelievably underwhelming performing 2022 WSox this offseason, and Jerry Reinsdorf did poo poo to improve the unbelievably underwhelming performing Bullls at the trade deadline. In closing gently caress Jerry Reinsdorf. That is my book report.

Man the White Sox were so disappointing last year. I was hyped for them to start having some years at the top and it seems like TLR completely poisoned them.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Mike_V posted:

Let's go back to Florida Marlins and California Angels while we're at it

I’m normally a sucker for alliteration, but Florida Marlins just feels right.

Red posted:

https://twitter.com/KieferMedia/status/1624513907447459840

Realizing 1993 is considered a throwback era just made me feel really old.

I’m looking forward to the ironic throwback to Turn Ahead The Clock unis

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

mcmagic posted:

I'm surprised he's doing this lol. Must be bored.

Doubly so that they’re pairing him with Arod. I thought they had a pretty acrimonious relationship. Or maybe Fox wants catty exchanges.

zoux posted:

Something about jumping and throwing that enamors the masses. See also: Tim Tebow

Only third basemen are permitted to make exciting jump throws. :colbert:

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Last time this came up someone posted a stat about how few games go past eleven innings. I agree just end it in a tie at that point. Hell I’d rather regular season games end in a tie after nine rather than use the ghost runner.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I do love when a game goes so long the broadcast runs out of commercials and they just keep it rolling between innings.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Someone way back suggested that teams be allowed to bat anyone in any order instead of a ghost runner. Even that sounds more exciting to me. Purists would be upset about stars getting like 25 extra ABs a season but whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

That won’t help close the gap, though. Allow one inning of coach pitch and we’re getting somewhere.