Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Couldn't have picked a more perfect end to the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Looking at a list of free agents, there are pretty slim pickings in the 1B and 3B positions, where the Cubs need the most help. Arenado isn't going to opt out of his contract, but it seems likely Rizzo will. Yankees might slap a QO on him in response.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Carlosologist posted:

I don’t necessarily think Rizzo will opt out of his deal. Aging 1Bs tend to not get big contracts and I think Rizzo’s current deal is fair enough. Also I love him and I want him to be a Yankee until his career is over

I think Rizzo would easily get more than $16M per year on the FA market. The QO is gonna be worth more than that, so there's no reason for Rizzo not to opt out.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Explosionface posted:

Pujols hit HR #700 (cool, even though I think he hit about 500 of them against the Cubs)

He hit the most homers against the Astros, mostly because he followed them from the NL Central to the AL West.

In terms of fewest PAs per home run against a specific team, the Angels are actually who he homered against most often.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

7 years ago today

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

sweet thursday posted:

Jays really 8-1 on that loss

:golfclap:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Despite selling off all their stars at the deadline last year and their entire bullpen at the deadline this year, the 2022 Cubs somehow finished 3 games better than the 2021 Cubs.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

MLBN is treating Yadi and Pujols retiring like a goddamned funeral.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

maffew buildings posted:

Wrigleyville gave their son (Frank) so all others would be forgiven and usher in an era of Cubs prosperity

:worship::pray:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Poque posted:

Got my Nico Hoerner opening day foul ball signed!

Owns. I was so happy for you when you caught it.

The only foul ball I've caught was off Chris Davis. I know it would be a huge disaster for the Cubs to sign him, but if you could work on that just so it'd be easier to get my foul ball signed, I'd appreciate it. Thaaaaaanks!

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

https://twitter.com/BleacherNation/status/1579506609805758464

100% expected

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Sucks that all the good FAs are shortstops. Cubs need corner infielders.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

The best team in the regular season doesn't win the World Series very often. That's just baseball, baby. It's a sport that depends on large sample sizes to determine how good teams are, but the best teams all get thrown into a small sample size tournament at the end and crazy poo poo happens.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

The Pussy Boss posted:

*Andruw Jones is a Hall of Famer. It's the voters who are wrong

poo poo I thought he already was a hall of famer. Another reason to hate the BBWAA.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

In terms of DRS, Andruw Jones is the best fielder of all time. That alone should be enough to get him into the Hall.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Mustached Demon posted:

Chicago's on a west coast, come play for the Cubs.

Are he and Seiya buddies? If not, they should be.

Also the coast in Chicago is very much on the east side.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Popete posted:

Somebody tell him that the water from our coast is actually drinkable.

The difference in water bills when I moved from Los Angeles to Chicago was something else

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Get one really nice fitted cap from a loved one and then keep tweaking it until it finally fits perfectly and the brim is just the way you like it and you wear it at Progressive Field as the Cubs win game 7 and it's absorbed the same rain that soaked the players on the field that day, blessing the cap to become a LUCKY cap and you wear it while buying a Megamillions ticket and you win the jackpot and run outside, whooping and hollering but the brim of your lucky cap prevents you from seeing the falling air conditioner unit that crushes you to death and then you're buried in your favorite lucky cap for all eternity

(mostly a true story)

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Nico got absolutely robbed. He was a stellar defender at SS this year.

Happ better win in left :argh:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

GoatSeeGuy posted:

“Believe me, you won’t be booing about that in a year. You guys won’t be booing about the Marquee Network in one year.”

Marquee still isn't available on YouTube TV :mad:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Poque posted:

YankeesFans is king for sure. My personal fave is still

"HEY! STAR! HEY!" :sigh:

(referring to Starlin Castro)

Also Cubs won the pennant 6 years ago today :toot:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Mustached Demon posted:

Kershaw didn't have a terrible game either. It wasn't good nor anywhere near good-Kershaw but it wasn't a bad outing. If they won that game the story would have been "he pitched good enough." Except cool Kyle was determined to go to the WS and no dodger bat was gonna stop him.

The Cubs faced the minimum 27 batters that game. It was way more about Hendricks being good than Kershaw being bad.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Next year is going to the Padres. They're following the Cubs' path of beating their biggest rival in the DS and getting eliminated in the CS one year before winning the World Series.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Cubs 2024-2029

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

They booed their guy who had 211 OPS+ during the regular season because he went 0-8 in the first 2 games of the ALDS. I can't imagine why no one would want to play for them.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Sydin posted:

The difference between the Cubs having broken their historic drought and now being 114 years without a title or whatever is - among other things - an inning where Chapman was put back out after the Davis HR despite being completely and utterly gassed, and three straight Cleveland hitters couldn't square up hanging sliders right down the middle. Also the last AB of the game was Montgomery vs Michael Martinez, the last guy on Cleveland's bench and a journeyman washout who the Cubs literally didn't have a scouting report for because who the hell would give Michael Martinez a postseason AB, and per Montero his chat with Montgomery was basically "idk throw a bunch of curveballs I guess, hopefully he hits one on the ground for an out."

The luck factor in the postseason is absolutely a thing.

Yeah but the Cubs were also the best team in baseball all year so they deserved the luck :colbert:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

The Cubs said they're gonna slap a QO on Willson. If that's enough to scare teams away, then we do the whole rigmarole at the trade deadline again. :shrug:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

FlamingLiberal posted:

Extremely disappointed that it isn't called Poo Holes

:same:

RizzO's were basically honey nut cheerios. Are Poo Holes the same thing?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Nooooo

https://twitter.com/NBCSCubs/status/1586034465092026369

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

The only positive test Sammy Sosa got hit with was the exact same "unofficial and confidential" one that got Ortiz. Sammy also never got shot around extremely fishy circumstances. Who the gently caress is not going to recognize David Ortiz in the DR? I don't believe it was a case of mistaken identity. And yet Ortiz cruises into the HoF (with 70 fewer homers) and Sammy gets snubbed.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Did not expect to be come at that aggressively from a YouTube tutorial

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Those guys were crushing baseballs at 95-97mph exit velo with the normal bat and it really puts into perspective that Kyle Schwarber nuked one at 120 mph. :stare:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Yay Happ won the gold glove :toot:

Nico should've gotten one too :argh:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Johnny Bravo posted:

welcome phillies fans

and now that the season is officially over, welcome home Albert Pujols. time to be an Angel for the next 10 years.

If I'm still alive when Pujols dies, I'm gonna be the first person to say he's an angel again

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

WHERE IS SAMMY?????????????

He doesn't count as a steroid player because the only positive test he got hit with was the same "unofficial" one that got David Ortiz, who's already in the hall. :colbert:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

https://twitter.com/TweeterReprise/status/1589439895374008322

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

https://twitter.com/ThelmaD852/status/1590297343358021633

2nd lowest TV ratings for a World Series ever, behind only the pandemic season in 2020.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Intruder posted:

I thought they didn't trade him because they were hoping to keep him

They still might keep him if the QO scares other teams away. Then we get to do the whole trade deadline drama all over again.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Aubrey Huff ran for a Solana Beach school board seat and got loving slaughtered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I'm terrified that the Cubs are gonna sign an old washed-up player for way too long