Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There’s basically zero chance of Whitley ever figuring things out in a meaningful way. He’ll be another long relief guy at best.

Whitley is one year older than Hunter Brown. He may never figure poo poo out but he's the same age as Framber when Framber still sucked. He's just been in the system so long everyone feels like he 35.

The behind-the-scenes thing with Click is, imo, simply friction between two dudes who don't match up well personality-wise. Jim Crane swears up and down - whether you believe it or not - that he was completely in the dark about 2017 and whether or not he's lying about that he has taken a much, much more hands on role in baseball operations which is always going to lead to clashes with the FO staff (especially since he straight up vetoed the Urquidy for Contreras deal). We've also been shedding FO dudes like crazy, just this year we lost key guys like Oz Ocampo (new Marlins GM) who is a big reason the Astros find so many gems in the Dominican and Cuba and Pete Putila - another bigtime player development guy - got hired away to be GM at SF. Now, it's not that surprising that other clubs want to poach guys from a front office that appears to have wedged the window open, and they were all taking big time promotions to boot. It's not impossible that everything is perfectly copacetic over there but it sounds like some dudes are chafing over the boss sticking his nose in everywhere.

I'm split on it, I think Click was fine but he didn't make any huge marquee moves and I don't think he's irreplaceable. But I am concerned about finding a good candidate when the standard is "A ring isn't enough to save your job"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It means the new market inefficiency is old short DHs

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Red posted:

The smallest DH I can think of is Edgar Martinez, who was 6 feet tall. Molitor was 6' too.

Eddie Gaedel

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nope, you got it

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

lobster shirt posted:

odorizzi bad

Now that he's back in the AL West we might get the Odorizzi revenge game. Where we put 15 on him as revenge for his lovely pitching and then getting snippy about it

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Intruder posted:

https://twitter.com/MLBONFOX/status/1590720353055436802

Knew it was coming but still, dang. I don't think he'll be back

e: yes I did view their profile and make sure their check was for being verified instead of twitter blue, just in case I missed a letter trick in the name :v:

Nor should he be, he's going to want (and is likely worth) something well north of $40m aav and probably multi-year and the Astros should not give it to him. Someone is going to offer him 3/$130+ and imho it is an insanely bad idea to give a huge contract to a 40 y.o. power pitcher who may either be returning to dominance or had one hell of a fluke season. I hope it's the former and not the latter and I hope he proves me wrong on the Tigers and not the Yankees. Astro's depth at SP is too good, with 2 Cy candidates (provided Javy's fastball really is unfigureoutable) at the top and 4 strong rotation guys, any one of whom could make a leap next year (probably not Uriquidy). I mean they literally have a 25 year old JV clone on the roster. Also, and I concede this is eye-test BS but the man just does not have his stuff in the WS. His G5 win was purely determination and Dusty giving him the leash to get the W, for whatever reason he pitches like dogshit in the world series. This is a nice problem to have of course, but with expectations being appearing in the world series since that's what the Astros do, it's actually a pretty salient factor imo. Now if he wants to take a sweetheart hometown deal because he's best friends with Jim Crane, well I'll just smile and grit my teeth during games 1 and 5 of the 2023 WS but it would have to be a hell of a deal.

What they need to sell out on is a short term deal for Jose Abreu

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MrMidnight posted:

Sign Montero back, get a legit DH (Brantley) and 1st baseman (Abreu). Sorry Yuli, time to hang up your cleats.

I don't trust Montero, he reeks of the one-season wonder reliever, and I think he's going to command much more than he's worth. Abreu in the set up spot is way better. JOSE ABREU ಠ_ಠ

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

JV was apparently a different guy mentality wise this season. I'm sure you guys all remember the rumors from last year about how JV never showed up to anyone's birthday parties and the team wouldn't let him throw out the first pitch in the '21 WS or whatever. I don't know how true that stuff was but from the interviews he's given, tearing his UCL and staring down the end of his career out of nowhere really hosed him up and scared him and this season he's been smelling the roses, so to speak, and any time you see him in the dugout he's cutting it up with the guys, he's always one of the first ones out of the dugout to congratulate people, etc. Apparently he's just been a sterling teammate this year and you put that together with both the personal and team accolades that he earned this year, I don't know how that affects his decision. Houston loving loves JV, they love Kate, they are immeasurably big fish here, so is that worth $10m extra a year to go to NY and get booed if you gently caress up? Probably, that's af uckload of money

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There is exactly one dude in history who has thrown a live ball 99+ miles an hour at the age of 39 so we're in uncharted territory. At his age he's more susceptible to all kinds of injuries so it's not just his arm you have to worry about. I think it's possible that he's middling-to-good next season and declines into retirement but it's also possible he retires at 45 after winning his eighth Cy Young. I would not bet a huge contract on the latter tho

You can't count out the fact that JV his having the best year of his life, dude came back from a possibly career ender to win back-to-back cy youngs, feels like he's still near his physical peak, and he won a loving ring. I don't know if that makes him hungrier for more success or more willing to settle into a nice, long contract on a non-contender where he can get superstar treatment like not having to go on short road trips and other family-friendly perks like Clemens got when he came to Houston.

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 10, 2022

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Houston Astro Shohei Ohtani

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yuli is the King of Cuban Baseball so it's very important to let him leave on terms that make him happy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also they knew about Jeremy Pena and we didn't.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/BillShaikin/status/1590783389925183488

you're gonna get woba in your wraa like that

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Finns play something they call baseball, but it is something else. Something sinister...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Intruder posted:

This is what I was talking about with twitter blue upthread

https://twitter.com/nyporchsport/status/1590823995364241409

This is written in an obvious satirical way but there's gonna be a lot of accounts with checkmarks doing poo poo like this

Actually new pay-for-checks are no more. I imagine they'll be rolling back the existing ones once they can locate a legal department to tell them how much liability scamming a bunch of people out of eight bucks is gonna create.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Chandler_Rome/status/1591122518022070272

Welp

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Intruder posted:

what the gently caress

Way to make the job seem attractive, Crane. In addition to the cheater baggage, you also don't have a safe job when you win a world series

I guess Crane thinks he can get David Stearns. I have no idea otherwise.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

Didn't Stearns already say he's not leaving Milwaukee for at least another year?

People say a lot of poo poo. Stearns is Luhnow's protege and Crane can throw insane money at him. Or maybe he names Dusty GM and I put my head through a wall

Honestly, Click couldn't assemble a team to go undefeated in the postseason and well that's unacceptable.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Obviously that's what all the pundits are going to say but does anyone really think that there won't be people lining up out the door to take a team coming off the WS win has at least 3 more years on their window

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1591126280225062912

I assume Bob is acting as Crane's mouthpiece here

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Red posted:

I mean, they just won a WS, but it feels like it's hard to cheer for these people

I don't cheer for the loving gm. I cheer for 450 foot back breaking homers that clear various national monuments.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Why don't these fans simply boo their own team, and hate them?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Red posted:

I love the Phillies despite the fact that half the players are apparently Q-anon chuds. But that's the team I grew up with. I'm with them even if Middleton turned them into the '22 Reds. I'm sure there's a point where I throw all my Phillies stuff away, but thankfully that thing hasn't happened.

I don't know how some Rays fans felt when some of their players threw a shitfit about wearing a Pride Night patch.

It must suck to be a Nats fan right now, but I feel like a lot of their fans are casual anyhow.

I think a lot of Cubs fans hate the owners, but it's not become dire, and it's not much different than the team was pre-2016 championship.

Anyway. You take the team as a whole, and at some point, something becomes lovely enough where maybe you move on. If the FO ends up destroying the Astros in a few years through incompetence, then is that enough after the cheating thing, or do you just shrug and keep wearing the hat every day?

Y'all are gonna be back to booing Bryce Harper for going 0-13 in July.

Inspector_666 posted:

Popete made a totally reasonable statement that the Astros FO seems like a lovely culture and you are now going out of your way to defend them which seems like a poor use of time? He didn't conflate being a fan of the team with being a fan of the FO.

It's also ignoring that *something happened* between Taubman and today that might mean the front office composition has changed, isn't it.

Like seriously trying to pretend that the 2019 astros FO is identical to the 2022 astros FO after everything that happened. Come the gently caress on.

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 11, 2022

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mentholmoose posted:

IMO, considering Philly fans still get poo poo for throwing snowballs at Santa before most of us were born, I feel like trying to make Astros fans feel bad for something that happened 3 years ago (or 5 in the case of the cheating scandal) is perfectly valid on its own.

Excuse me, it was batteries, and it was Jesus Christ.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Me when ppl ask how can I possibly like the two time world champions:

https://mobile.twitter.com/overtime/status/1591101398204104704

Ammat The Ankh posted:

If Bob's acting as Crane's mouthpiece, he's not making the guy look any better.

LMAO Astros. Not getting rid of Crane is the worst punishment MLB could have levied against the team.

Crane is the MLB, and they would never sanction cutting off someone's head because to tomorrow it might be their head

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/OrangeFire_/status/1591225294308126720

New approved list of bands for walk up music:
https://twitter.com/harvilla/status/1589680443254706176

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ah, so Crane fired Click because he was stopping him from signing 32 year old relievers with one good season ever to terrible monster contracts.

https://twitter.com/Chandler_Rome/status/1591448726974988288

Oh god my GM is name Firkus

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Nov 12, 2022

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

For the record I absolutely would prefer that the New York Yankees keep doing what they're doing.

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 12, 2022

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hmmm has MLB considered the decline of youth interest in baseball corresponds exactly with the end of movies in which 12 year old boys are contrived to join and in many cases run major league baseball teams

https://twitter.com/Feinsand/status/1591812834509615105

That's insanely good news and I want this guy to be the next manager of the Astros but he's gonna get poached if he doesn't get the big job soon

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Nov 13, 2022

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CF was a huge headache all season, it wasn't clear Chas was the guy until the end of September. Turns out out of all of em George Springer was the guy they should've resigned.

Anyway, that all seems like reasonable personnel and baseball philosophy and not any kind of eViL aStRoS FO CuLtUre. It does concern me mainly because meddlesome ownership never works out. I think that Montero contract is going to prove to be a real bad idea but it's not like they handcuffed themselves to Albert Pujols for the 10 shittiest seasons of his career.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Crane nixed it on advice from Dusty, who "heard from somebody" that Contreras would be bad for clubhouse chemistry. Also it was a bad deal anyway!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He's 33

Also how long are you supposed to bask in the glow of a world championship before you start to feel hungry for another one

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mancini was supposed to be the answer at DH, it just didn't pan out unfortunately. Anyway the Astros traded for position players for their two worst performing positional batters and then sat them for most of the rest of the season. Of course Yuli ended up raking in the playoffs and Silver Slugger Finalist Martin Maldanado is probably a big reason the Astros staff was so good this year (and everyone on the staff absolutely loves him), so it all ended up working out.

I don't know if another major league team has a catcher who bats as poorly as Maldy play every day, and not for his defensive ability, which is average, but for his game-calling skill.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Every team could have a Maldy behind the plate if we implement my plan for a 2nd DH for catchers

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I could use some more velo myself, how much does this driveline thing cost

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah actually quite a bit better than Junior in his rookie year. A-rod had a 1. OPS in his third season, which was his first full one.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1592310627246440449

Dude might have a problem

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Show cover curse...

Astros Legend Anthony Rizzo

zoux fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Nov 15, 2022

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Rizzo was a 2.4 WAR player this season. You can have him.

He was the only dude putting up competitive at bats all four games in the ALCS, he really battled every PA. Seemed like anyway.

e: on the yankees ofc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lotta rookie surprises this year, how highly touted was J-Rod coming in