Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Question: does the dniepr freeze over in the south?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burns
May 10, 2008

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Canada is sending a huge aid package to Ukraine, and it includes C$15m of winter gear. Other western countries are sending winter gear over as well.

There is a yt channel called Survival Russia i watched some years back. Dude lived out near the Taiga or some such. He tested Canadian winter gear and was very impressed with it. Apparently our winter gear is pretty good.

Burns
May 10, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

I think he literally has no other choice at this point though, and has to bet everything on support eroding eventually. If he tried to end things now he'll get hosed by the nationalists, so he'd rather get hosed by nationalists later.

I kinda disagree. Putin has already laid out his cards. Why would he cowtoe to some nationalists if he really wanted to bring things to an end? He could easily have them all rounded up on whatever trumped up charges he could invent.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Payndz posted:

Huh, so what's the Portuguese for 'milkshake duck?'

https://twitter.com/kjovano/status/1587057798382338049?s=46&t=6hp8wuEcuv4XbWHItvCuRw
What a bizarre thing to say. Zelenskyy wanted war so he could be on television? He was on television! It really does smack of the uncaring teacher who punishes bully and victim equally because "it takes two to fight".

Im getting quite tired of these bootlickers.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Also the US government is generally the antagonist in Fallout.

Burns
May 10, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It’s exceedingly improbable that you’ll ever see counterstrikes against Russia’s strategic bomber

There have been a lot of improbable things to happen thus far in this war. Im sure there is someone high up chewing on this particular problem.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Yeah the collar tugging is amazing.

No more french riviera vacations for them.

Burns
May 10, 2008

The "we need air support!!" part made me lol really hard.

Burns
May 10, 2008

FishBulbia posted:

His sobriety was directly contrasted with Yeltsin, yes.

I think it was WTYP that recalled a Yeltsin story where he got so blasted, fell into a river and some bums living under the bridge fished him out.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

Were chatting with my cousin, who lives and was born in raised in Kyiv. He has unfathomable opinions on the war.
-The war is 90% the fault of Ukrainian nazi's. Russia has a historical duty to fight nazis anywhere, if the west had not done a coup and installed a 100% nazi junta this war would not be needed.
-Most of the war crimes are fake news, and while tragic that his own city is being bombed its not the Russian's fault it's the west and their local nazi allies that have forced Russia into the war. The blood is on their hands, not russia.
-Here is a picture of a snowman with an SS symbol on it, this proves Ukraine is 100% nazi and the war totally justified.
-Nazi's are the most vile and dangerous thing in the world based on the most evil ideology ever.
Cousin's ideology:
-Democracy doesn't work and simply gets corrupted by (((them))) so a strong paternal leader is best.
-Society must return to traditional values, wokeism and lgbt will destroy us all if we don't stamp out this degeneracy.
-Orthodox values and culture are best and the church must play a strong guiding role in society. Godlessness is degeneracy.
-A society is only as good as its strength and power of its men, feminism is a ploy to emasculate and weaken societies leaving their women unprotected.
-There are active plots to destroy the white race and western culture and replace them with the asiatic hoards or race mixing.
-Kyiv is a russian speaking city, all the Ukrainian speaking people are colonizers that need to go back to Lviv. Zelensky sent them here as part of a great replacement to genocide russian culture.

Absolute expert at fighting nazi ideology. It's insane what russian propaganda can do to people. There's no arguing with him either because "I live here and experience the true reality, you're in Canada and only have western propaganda"

And he still lives in Kiyv? Maybe his neighbours might like to have a talk with him.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Burns
May 10, 2008

Just Another Lurker posted:

Field artillery is big until you compare it to naval artillery, 120mm would be secondary armament or only suitable for anti-aircraft for a lot of ships.

One of the main limitations for field artillery is being able to load the drat thing without having to resort to cranes and other contraptions. Or unless they make sone land battleship wanderwuffe.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Im not sure how many tanks the CF will be will to part with. We have 82 of which 53 are operational.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Imagine if banning youtube is the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Maybe Puts is worried from attack from within?

Burns
May 10, 2008

Ynglaur posted:

To be fair, Ukraine has shown the abilty to conduct operations on the Kerch Bridge, and have demonstrated ingenuity with small drones.

UA has shown ability to launch small scale long distance attacks yes, but Im not conviced it was UA that organized the kerch bridge attack. Considering what came after, id bet that Prigozin guy had something to do with it, if not for the sole purpose of diverting more Russian assets to the Donetsk front and away from kherson front.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Tuna-Fish posted:

It would take a lot of planning an conspirators to mount a successful ground-based attack against Putin, quite possibly a lot more than is possible without being caught.

On the other hand, a single fighter pilot who happens to know where Putin is and who takes off with a bomb under his wing could in principle bomb him.

Heh, May 9 of each year is the place we all know where he usually is.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Europe got really comfortable with the US doing the defence over decades. Yeah, i would not be surprised if germany's unwillingness stems from actually being totally unprepared. It wouldnt be surprsing to learn that the graft there was on equal scale to Russia.

What if its worse and spare parts for weapons systems they export are no where to be found. That would be a real kicker.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Knightsoul posted:

Those are just lies...plain and simple.
Ukraine was declared the 4th most corrupt nation on Earth, according to U.N. classification and just before the special operation started by the Russian Federation.
To add on that, just look at all the military hardware (gently offered by the foolish western nations) smuggled from Ukraine to terrorists based in Africa or the corruption scandal few days ago admitted by the comedian actor Zelensky.
So anyone who tries to picture Ukraine as a pristine democracy is just lyin' to you, like this guy Mylovanov, and you should laugh at his face.

Lol, lmao. Good one.

Burns
May 10, 2008

My guess would be something akin to a war fought between various Siloviki.

Burns
May 10, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Reading the article does reveal the answer to that.

It seems to be paywalled so a summary would help.

Burns
May 10, 2008

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Here is a video from the BBC with lots of speculation concerning Lukashenko and his claim that Ukraine wants to or will attack Belarus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AZ2ztjYLHU

Lukashenko says if Ukraine attacks, Belarus will join Russia to defend its territory. Lukashenko has been cooperating with Russia all along, so this seems like saber rattling or possibly setting up for a new attack.

Also, Lukashenko seems to have a hard time sitting in a normal sized chair these days.

Sounds like setup for a false flag operation. UA has spent time on the northern border blowing bridges and mining areas. These are activities generally not intended for offensive operations.

Burns
May 10, 2008

The parents mentioned something about Luka being MIA for a few days. Any word on that online?

Burns
May 10, 2008

I am absolutely loving the name Rail Force One.

Burns
May 10, 2008

I think we will survive a few years without a new iphone but Tbh i hate how the CCP is just sent on this course.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

This all assumes that China backing Ukraine would cause the war to end. I'm not sure there's any reason to believe that it would.

Funnily enough, I think it would end the war. But it would only cause a delay to the next war because Russia cannot be trusted.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Putin will find new internal enemies to go after as scapegoats. Some think it might be Proghozin and Wagner who end up bring the fall guys. But whose to say, ethnic and religious minorities tend to be targets of such things more often then not.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Keep in mind that Russia's stated strategic goal is the seizure of Kramatorsk and Sloviansk,. There are basically no major towns between those cities and Bahmut. The Russians can bypass Chasiv Yar to the north. Theres a canal running north-south but those atent exactly impenetrable. Theres slso the cluster of towns further south at Pivichne, Toretsk and New York which hadnt seen much movement in some time by the looks of it. So long as the Russians are able to pincer UA positions its going to be a problem. It all depends on when the Russians hit their culmination point.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Its sounds like some kind of borderline publicity stunt. Now had they shot up an OMON building that would be a different story.

Burns
May 10, 2008

fatherboxx posted:

https://twitter.com/krus_chiki/status/1631110259686219776

Shouldn't be a surprise to anyone reading about post-WW2 conflicts or listening to Lions Led By Donkeys and the like but war tourists - not the brightest bunch

I guess Caro wasnt the only literally crazy war tourist.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Ive seen a bunch of crimea videos pop up about hows its historically been this impenetrable fortress, etc etc.

My reading of history is that its actually a pain to defend and a nighmare to hold if isolated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burns
May 10, 2008

A question on the ICC. How did guys like Slobedan Milosevic etc eventually end up there? Are they basically extridited by the current government of whatever country to the ICC?