Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

I like the idea he personally went door to door asking.

Sadly the reality is he probably just murdered anyone who got 'caught.'

Those believed to be gay by Chechnya police are frequently tortured:
https://www.hrw.org/news/2019/05/08/russia-new-anti-gay-crackdown-chechnya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

https://twitter.com/OAlexanderDK/status/1580088362991759360

https://twitter.com/OAlexanderDK/status/1580089925521018880

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
https://mobile.twitter.com/BMVg_Bundeswehr/status/1580177624516947971

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
https://mobile.twitter.com/meduza_en/status/1580183189309763584

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
^^^
Was that KIA or casualties? 'cause this claims to be KIA + wounded enough to be unable to return.

mobby_6kl posted:

So what was the point? Look how useless our cool x-ray machines are?

This is btw how they're explaining the route:

Taking the sea route through the blockade due to the bridge Russia blew up to block ground grain exports being out?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
https://mobile.twitter.com/ItsBorys/status/1580213633518567424

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Mikojan posted:

I'm going to guess Musk is just making noise in any way he can because he is a giant pissbaby when criticized. Just look at the whole pedo sub debacle.

That + the post on staying up in the middle of night to think of solution to nuclear war made me realize he is a narcissist, just like Trump ("only I can...") and... Churchill, who actually had some stunts like that in WWI era, too, but who could mostly get away with it on accounts of actually being an actual genius and master orator.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Herstory Begins Now posted:

UN Voted on condemning the annexation referenda

https://twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1580295103088066560

against: Belarus, Russia, North Korea, Nicaragua, & Syria voted against

Serbia and Hungary voting for. A bunch of shameful abstentions, though.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Saladman posted:

If they’re fixing critical, road-closing potholes on the only road connecting a US military base to another US military base, in an active war zone, then… yes, 100% absolutely? An army engineer is still part of the military even if they’re not shooting a gun.

But yeah weird to be so eager for anyone’s deaths, especially non-combattants.

E: also wtf South Africa abstaining? Otherwise looks like the typical abstainers plus some countries that I wonder if it was an "idealogical abstain" or "don’t care" like South Sudan. I guess blank means "not present" although what’s up with Azerbaijan not showing up to either vote?

I presume Azerbaijan is trying to keep good relations with both Ukraine and Russia, and abstaining won't really work?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
^^^
There are repairing some T-80s as well, just elsewhere. Dunno about T-72s, but those are the most likely to be cannibalized for parts, as the most widely used model.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Russian government has placed an order for 800 modernisations of T-62 tanks. Not entirely clear if we’re talking about the T-62M, or the new T-62 modernisation kit showcased 2 months ago. https://rg.ru/amp/2022/08/15/radikalnuiu-modernizaciiu-t-62-vpervye-pokazali-na-armii-2022.html

The article about modernisation procurement suggests the latter. In any case, they’re saying that the factory is working in 2 shifts, and it would take them 3 years to chew through this order, unless they go to working in 3 shifts and modernise the factory floor as well, which they’re looking into. The source for the article is a federal parliament member, who also said that the were is going to drag out. https://newizv.ru/news/society/12-10-2022/zabaykalskiy-tankovyy-zavod-poluchil-goszakaz-na-remont-i-modernizatsiyu-800-tankov

https://twitter.com/ian_matveev/status/1580216195546243072

The ones on the picture are already (at least partly towards) T-62M, you can tell 'cause they have the "Brezhnev's Eyebrows" additional armor pads on the turret front.
(This is the only tank variant modification I am capable of identifying)

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Oct 12, 2022

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

I can imagine some reasons why both the chinese and indian governments do not want to help establish a record of harshly opposing the annexation of "disputed territories"

Pretty sure they didn't sign multiple treaties recognizing those territories as non-disputed, though.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I’m hardly sold on “FSB did it” spin, I’m just noting that this is yet another scenario where the official explanation is “we are incompetent morons”.

I can't imagine that pressure to have investigation results immediately helps the reliability of them.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Kraftwerk posted:

I wonder if Korea’s defence industry is having a rally in their stock and financial performance with all these defence contracts being thrown around. Could they potentially become a major arms producing country to backfill the gaps left by Russia?

Also could probably get some sales in the West when people realize that German stuff is only available in artisanal quantities?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Saladman posted:

E: Kherson also gets an average 1.3 inches / 3cm a year of snow - less than Nashville, although when it falls it’ll last longer since you rarely get huge temperature swings like you get in the US. Like total, for all winter. North Americans tend to have super wrong impressions of how snowy and cold Europe is.

I was born in Odesa, and when I came to US as a teen I was like a little kid over all the snow where I ended up (Upstate NY....), since I saw it very little during my actual little-kid phase.
Still, you kinda have to distinguish cold for person living in a warm house and going to work or school nicely dressed up and someone living in a trench. What's mild for the first group is hardly mild for the latter.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Most stuff got restored, but Russia may try again, and some people have literal holes in their homes...

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
https://mobile.twitter.com/MarquardtA/status/1580700683011264512

I am confused as to how it costs him anything to operate given the satellites are already there and are powered by sunlight, the only operational cost would be bandwidth of internet connection.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Owling Howl posted:

They claim there's 20000 terminals in Ukraine and it will cost 400 million to fund for 12 months which implies Starlink service costs $1650/month per terminal.

I can see him wanting to charge the Pentagon that (good luck getting private customer at that!), but the claim of loses implies operational costs of that magnitude, which is nuts. They have a lot of capital costs for the satellite network, but that's independent of whether anyone actually uses it not.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Tomn posted:

Genuinely not sure of the mechanics of any of this, but streaming might actually be important? For EG live drone recon or the like? Or are drones controlled through other systems?

Most drones don't have internet access, so just radio?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Vesi posted:

don't feel bad, to be profitable it'd have to be priced much higher so he's effectively subsidizing your link

I think his hope is the Pentagon eventually will. Raising prices in the middle of a war to do that may not be that good of a strategy for that...

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
https://mobile.twitter.com/notabanderite/status/1580940936506273793

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I am not sure how much of light vehicles stuff on part of Ukraine is strategy and how much is making do with insufficient availability of IFVs.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Koos Group posted:

I assume in this hypothetical there would be an armistice.

An armstice doesn't stop the torture chambers.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
The idea that annexing regions to a genocidal dictatorship is somehow "national self-determination" is absurd.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Texas is a much better analogy if you just consider how it became part of the US in the first place.

Anyway, effects in other places affected by the Russian empire:
https://mobile.twitter.com/tkassenova/status/1580987105328893952

Edit: and a diff perspective:
https://mobile.twitter.com/maximananyev/status/1576829978770972673

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Koos Group posted:

No offense taken. To make my perspective clear, I believe that Crimea should be part of Russia on the basis of self-determination. I also believe the annexation was a magnificent move on Russia's part due to it being bloodless, which is often not the case in conflicts resulting from badly drawn borders (cf. Kurdistan or the Yugoslav republics).

So you, don't give a poo poo about the indigenous population getting repressed by settler-colonists from the empire that ran multiple rounds of genocide on them previously, got it. And no, it wasn't bloodless.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

What international law? After the fall of the Soviet Union Crimea was an independent republic like all the others. That is until 1994/5 when Ukraine took it by force and did one of those same "questionable" referendums.

Uh, this is nonsense; Crimea was one of the regions of Ukraine voting for independence in 1991 --- with bare majority, unlike every other region which had overwhelming majority. There was indeed tension between it and Ukrainian government later --- hence it having autonomy!

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Koos Group posted:

I believe the Tatars should also be able to self-determine but that's a separate issue from the Crimeans who want to be Russian.

Not when they're being annexed into a regime that represses them, to satisfy settlers in their land who are upset they may have to follow government of those they consider their racial inferior.

Looking forward towards your future endorsement of Israeli annexation of West Bank.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Crow Buddy posted:

You keep using self-determination of a occupied region as the lynchpin to this line of thought. I don't think you know what it means.

Self-determination is when remnants of an imperial center's settler-colonial program can get the empire to reabsorb them in areas of local concentration so they don't have to deal with the natives who they perceive to be racially inferior being in charge, including when they use militias and regular army of that imperial center to ethnically cleanse other regions to extend this process further, isn't it?

... Personally, though, I think self-determination requires presence of a democracy that guarantees basic civil rights and is incompatible with a dictatorship based on cultural genocide, but what do I know?

Edit: unrelated... or, on second thought, very much related:

Boris Galerkin posted:

Big yikes. Saying the quiet part out loud.
I am a bit surprised you don't know this (but perhaps your username incorrectly suggests your background), but this sort of anti-black racism is not really the quiet part in the region (including in Ukraine) --- racism is widespread, and there is little social approbation towards this sort of statement. It is somewhat ironic to see it coming from Central Asians who themselves are generally discriminated brutally against, though.

(Ukrainians are in a weird spot in the Sovietesque racial hierarchy since an assimilated Ukrainian would be considered practically as good as a Russian, but one who speaks Ukrainian would be viewed as a primitive illiterate peasant rube. This explains a lot about this conflict. See also the link I posted earlier about attitudes in Kazakhstan).

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Oct 15, 2022

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

Thank you for making an informative post - just one thing, you mean reprobation instead of approbation, right?

Oh, you would be correct. How embarrassing.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
They seem to be moving tanks out of Belarus, which is a strange thing to do if they want to attack from there.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Sucrose posted:

Why would Poland send troops into Ukraine in response to Belarus invading Ukraine any more than they’d send troops in response to Russia invading Ukraine? That doesn’t make any sense.

Besides, while Ukraine goes to Poland, Belarus goes to Lithuania. Know your Union of Lublin, people!

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Paladinus posted:

He is not Israel's minister of defence, though. Not to mention that tweets are not official statement.

Also they have yet another election coming up, don't they?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
"Funny" how Iran is shipping missiles with apparently 700km range, but Uncle Sam can't.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
https://mobile.twitter.com/notabanderite/status/1581659962950184962

Non-pro tip: if you insult people's faith shortly after drafting them into a war they don't want to fight, don't give them a loaded machine gun immediately after without clearing the premises.

Edit: warning: the insider story (the original source) has a photo with bodies in it.

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Oct 16, 2022

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
What escalatory actions. Name them.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
And HARMs have been used against targets in Russia. Of course, it's only useful against radar, not against terror bombing MLRS or facilities used to support the invasion.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Charlotte Hornets posted:

It's basically a flying hand grenade (the 300 version), so there's actually really not much to expect. Also it's very hard to control for the operator according to Ukrainians who have used it.

600 version hasn't even been delivered yet.

I think I saw one bit of footage of it hitting something. A lot of footage of Russian loitering munitions also seems to have them missing --- they're probably harder to aim than stuff that just drops vaguely down from commercial drones (especially since those can take multiple shots if they miss!).

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Djarum posted:

Something akin to a Phalanx CIWS, which would be the LPWS C-RAM would be a perfect system to deal with them. Iron Dome is basically an enhanced version of that. Hell if there are any M163 VADS still around they would work well in the short term.

Ultimately the best solution would be finding out where they are launching from and take it out at the source but that likely isn't going to be possible for a while.

Oh, the launch sites have already been located, one in Belarus (not attackable because politics), one in Crimea in ATACMS range (uncle Sam things there is no need for those); they are mobile launchers, though, so they'll probably start moving them once necessary, though.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Another issue, relevant right now: these things can and do attack at night, so defense needs some non-visual way of aiming (whether radar or... sound?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
An-2?