Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Daily reminder that Saint Javelin is still raising funds in order to buy winter clothing and medical equipment for Ukrainian soldiers. :) You can either donate directly or buy merch, they have lots of cool stuff.

Tesseraction posted:

It's still astounding to me that seven months later not only has Ukraine managed to hold on, they're actively pushing back to reclaim territory.

It's slowed down a bit recently, but yeah, their resilience has been impressive.

The area in blue is what they've retaken since late August, which is pretty amazing:

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/36a7f6a6f5a9448496de641cf64bd375

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

sniper4625 posted:

Glad to see progress continues

Yeah, same. Feels like it's been very quiet these past few days - according to War Mapper "there have been no notable changes to control". I assume the Ukrainians are resting and regrouping before they start pushing forward once more.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Canada is sending a huge aid package to Ukraine, and it includes C$15m of winter gear. Other western countries are sending winter gear over as well.

I can't find the link right now, but I'm pretty sure Finland pledged to send over winter gear worth a certain amount as well.

Speaking of, for those who personally want to contribute to keeping the Ukrainians warm, Saint Javelin is still raising funds in order to buy winter clothing and medical equipment for Ukrainian soldiers. :)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

According to War Mapper, the Ukrainians continued their advance northwest of Svatove yesterday, capturing the villages of Pishchane and Berestove:

Meanwhile, south of Bakhmut the Russians are reported to have captured Zaitseve completely.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

OddObserver posted:

I am a bit surprised you don't know this (but perhaps your username incorrectly suggests your background), but this sort of anti-black racism is not really the quiet part in the region (including in Ukraine) --- racism is widespread, and there is little social approbation towards this sort of statement.

Thank you for making an informative post - just one thing, you mean reprobation instead of approbation, right?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Vox Nihili posted:

It sounds like the next stage of the Ukrainian offensive in Kherson is underway. "Heavy fighting" being reported in the Mylove direction.

Do you have a source?

I was wondering which of the two fronts they would be focusing on next; sounds like it's Kherson, if confirmed.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Vox Nihili posted:

Closest thing to evidence at this point is Russian milbloggers + FIRMS Data

Thanks! I think Def Mon has a bit of a pro-Ukrainian bias, but his reports have been reliable in the past. I certainly hope the Ukrainians are indeed about to launch a successful offensive.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

With all this talk of Kherson, it makes me wonder if the Russians know something we don't. As far as I know, everything's been quiet on that front lately. True, the Ukrainians were talking about a media blackout, but I feel like we would have heard something from the other side by now.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

OzyMandrill posted:

I think this is the 'hearing from the other side' part.

I guess you guys are right, though I was expecting the usual 'Ukrainian nazis have broken through our lines and captured villages X, Y and Z' first. What we're hearing from the Russians now just makes it seem like they're retreating before the Ukrainians have even started attacking.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Somaen posted:

https://theins.ru/en/news/256182

Looks like there will be some employment opportunities for american basement dwellers to show up on RT and explain how technically, it wasn't a genocide and didn't happen anyway and happened only to those grain hiding counter-revolutionaries

Goddamn, that is pure evil. I'd be so angry if I were Ukrainian.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

spankmeister posted:

Man this opsec stuff sucks, I want to see some maps. :saddowns:

This is the closest I've seen to an indication that the Ukrainian offensive has even started:

No specifics yet, if it's real. Between Ukraine's excellent opsec and Russia's crackdown on milbloggers, we're unfortunately just not getting a lot of information.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It seems to cut right through Lysychansk, which is rather odd. Are they planning to take up defensive positions within the city itself?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah, War Mapper as well is saying that the Ukrainians have made progress on the Luhansk front in recent days. I wouldn't call it a Russian collapse, though - the gains made by Ukraine have been modest so far.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Comstar posted:

14km to the bridge in a straight line going off Google maps.

Wait...that's PAST Kherson Airport!?!! Can someone post a map of where this place is?

Yeah, that was my reaction as well. Pretty big deal if they've recaptured it given the airport located there, plus the fact that it's right outside of Kherson city.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Bug Squash posted:

Europe is low-key in the middle of a fairly amazing heat anomaly. It's like a mild summer day at the moment, but it's November, so few people are turning on the heating. This won't last obviously, but it's given time to mitigate the looming heating crisis when winter does arrive. It's incredible good luck for Ukraine and Europe both, and means what hope Russia had to freeze Europe to submission is largely gone.

Temperatures have dipped a bit in Belgium this past week (it's °8 right now), but yeah, I only turned on my central heating for the first time a few days ago. A very unexpected side effect of global warming is that it's helping to thwart Russia's plans.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Poland started WWII? Due to its arrogance and self-confidence? Jesus Christ. :psyduck:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Tomn posted:

I mean the weird thing about all this is that I feel like Ukraine would be more than happy to declare Mariupol a Ukrainian Hero City or similar, all things considered. God knows they've deserved it. To have Russia come swooping in to give them the label for their own deeply cynical purposes is kind of a weird case of whiplash.

They already did!

quote:

In addition to renewing the status of Kyiv, Odesa, Sevastopol and Kerch, decree 111 also awarded the title to the cities of Chernihiv, Hostomel, Kharkiv, Kherson, Mariupol and Volnovakha.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hero_City_of_Ukraine

I agree that this is a bizarre move from Russia though, especially with the way it's worded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

This has to do with the (non-)adoption of the Gregorian calendar, right? Interesting that something like this has turned into a symbolic issue.