Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Thanks for the new thread. Looks great and has a good assortment of links.

But I was just tiping up something with regards to the surprisingly interesting topics of article usage for countries based on a historic notion of genders. I guess that discussion is over now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

You’re welcome to continue it.

Okay, the gist of it is that the German grammar is using articles in front of country names not to signify that it's actually a region, but rather to signify the perceived gender if that country based on the original language. That's why there are countries with "Der" or "Die" in front if it. Most are gender neutral, where the "Das" is just dropped. "Die" can also be used as plural like United States. So in essence it's called "Die Ukraine" because Ukrainians traditionally considered their country to be female e.g. Mother Ukraine. There are exceptions to this vague rule. If the name of a country ends with some noun the full name inherits that article, most notably, anything ending with "-Land" is neutral and articleless. Otherwise it would probably be Die Russland.

Alternatively, the part about the perceived gender is bunk and Die Ukraine is a historic shorthand for Die Ukraine-Region, which would not be all that independent.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 11, 2022

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I am assuming the mean "met with" in an indirect sense. I dint think Putin is expecting a lot of foreign visitors these days and it would be kind of obvious, if Musk took a sudden trip to Moscow.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 11, 2022

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Mr. Apollo posted:

I think he's being very deliberate with his words so he can claim later that he never lied or misled anyone. He didn't meet with Putin, he spoke with him. Or he never spoke with Putin, he spoke with his representative etc. It would be easy to issue a blanket denial but he didn't do that.

I meant the article itself. But yeah, I can totally see Musk going "I didn't meet Putin. *wink*"

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I hope the dam stays intact. Destroying a dam is not nice.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Flavahbeast posted:

:pwn:

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1584054018145685504

the RT guy goes off the rails around 30 seconds in and absolutely does not stop

Wow, that guy. That ending was quite something. "Should Ukraine be on the map?" "Yes, because I don't want to live in the same country as some of those people." "So we will shoot them. *turns and stares at the camera*"
Also that tweet understates how much he goes into details with regards to the drowning. He actually thought about the logistics of thay.

I don't think I like this man.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Oct 23, 2022

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Feliday Melody posted:

I'm surprised that soldiers could get genuinely radiation poisoned in the Chernobyl forest areas after such little exposure. It shouldn't be that bad any more.

It's a Bad place to dig trenches in.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Staluigi posted:

Well, not anymore lol

Well, technically, the GOP might have a majority. But if it comes down to literally one person, have fun being the whip and keeping everyone to the party line/showing up/alive. If the GOP had suddenly 20 seats more than the dems, it would shift a lot, but I don't think there will be giant changes anytime soon.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
How are the reactions of the population in Kherson compared to when it was first occupied?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

spankmeister posted:

If there really were tens of thousand troops there, then they either disappeared overnight, or were never there in the first place. Some may have donned civilian clothes but surely you can't hide so many troops that way.

I'd imagine the civilians could bring in some clarity about the extent of the occupation over the comming days. They don't really have an incentive to be silent about that after all.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Bug Squash posted:

Europe is low-key in the middle of a fairly amazing heat anomaly. It's like a mild summer day at the moment, but it's November, so few people are turning on the heating. This won't last obviously, but it's given time to mitigate the looming heating crisis when winter does arrive. It's incredible good luck for Ukraine and Europe both, and means what hope Russia had to freeze Europe to submission is largely gone.

Yeah, Germany is still at like 99% gas capacity. They literally can't buy any Russian gas right now even if they wanted to. I and many others haven't even turned the heating on this fall, due to high gas prices.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

alex314 posted:

Properly organized Russian defense spending should go pretty far. They just try to do a lot of things at once: huge and modern land army, more planes than EU combined, strategic bomber forces, massive stockpiles of nukes with various delivery systems. And also navy, that's more than a couple subs for that extra nuclear revenge.

Don't forget the various steps in this process where money just dematerializes, while military leaders miraculously gain giant mansions.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Ynglaur posted:

Oh, well. I guess we'll just need to integrate Ukraine into NATO. For Poland's protection. I guess Russia should have thought of that.

NATO should absolutely put up active air and missile defenses across the Polish and Romanian borders with Ukraine if either country requests it, and then shoot down anything that could so much as drop a loose screw on their land.

Yeah, people forget that the solution to fascism was hanging a bunch of fascists after leveling their countries. It's unpleasant to dwell on. (No, we didn't kill all of them, but evidence suggests we killed enough to keep the peace for a few generations.)

If a robber shoots at their victim, misses and hits someone else, they're guilty of shooting that person.

So what if the police goes after the robber and hits the civilian instead? Is that the robbers fault?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think he's saying that the false flag operations the Nazis used as a casus bell to stack Poland e.g. the Gleiwitz incident, where actually done by Poland all along and Nazi Germany had a right to defend itself from this unprovoked war mongering.

Disclaimer, this is not my opinion in the slightest. Posting that felt gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Willo567 posted:

Zelensky doesn't seem to think that the attack on Poland were just some missiles that missed their target and Russia was deliberately targeting it.

Yeah, that is just really dumb. Deliberately targeting two farmers in eastern Poland. It might worsen the war, but goddamn, Russia needed to get rid of these particular people at all costs.

If it was the intention to hit Poland, it would have landed at a more crucial place. Sorry, to those farmers, but in a global scale their deaths are a bit insignificant.