Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

You shouldnt bomb the Borderland or the goo inside your country will leak out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

Sri.Theo posted:

What’s the benefit of tungsten pellets over explosives? Wouldn’t they be just at reflective at ruining things?

The warhead would use both, explosives to propel the pellets.

Tungsten as it's very dense, yet somewhat affordable and safe to manufacture and handle.

E. Beaten

Preen Dog fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 18, 2022

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

HonorableTB posted:

I wonder if a relatively modern tank (let's be generous and say T-80 and above?)

Post WWII, roof armor is usually an inch or greater, which should stop the pellets, especially at any long distance. I believe the tungsten alloy used for the submunitions is brittle to improve soft-target effect, but reduced armor penetration, especially at steep impact angles.

A close or direct hit may incapacitate the crew of a modern tank by shock wave alone.

It is customary to have hatches open while in transit, or even during combat for better visibility. Tanks crews would definitely be affected then.

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

Yah, totally. I'm just thinking the distance at which a relatively oblong, dense bullet is still going fast enough to penetrate an inch is also so close that overpressure could be the bigger threat.

But I think we can be sure if you have the intel to drop a himars accurately on a tank column many of the vehicles will be placed out of service for various reasons, and the sight and sound of the moment will feature in the crews dreams forever after.

E. Depending on source I read there's 160,000-180,000 pellets in a 200lb M30A1 warhead. So each submunition weighs less than a gram.

Preen Dog fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 18, 2022