Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Tesseraction posted:

Norway is 99% renewable energy with the other 1ish% burning wood. Benefits from having a shitload of coastline for hydroelectric and wind. It's why they make bank selling oil and gas to other countries without using a drop for themselves.

About a quarter of Norway's energy consumption is oil and gas, with an insignificant amount of coal on top. The rest is hydro with an insignificant amount of wind.

Norway does produce significantly more fossil fuels than it uses, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

That is considerably more diplomatic than what I heard during the Bundespressekonferenz a few days ago :v:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Can you link that DW article or video? I'd like to have a look at it.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

spankmeister posted:

There isn't really such a thing as German State TV, it's public broadcasting. Russia has State TV.

There is, and it's DW. It is directly state funded.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Feliday Melody posted:

It was right before the war even.

https://twitter.com/sumlenny/status/1484819191253377024

There's a related RT article from about the same time, which is funny in retrospect.

https://www.rt.com/russia/546166-sweden-tanks-gotland-russians-invade/

Ah, so not state media then. And some really aggressive clipping that should make anyone suspicious.

That Twitter person is lying about the content of that tiny clip. The question is "how does Russia perceive this", not "what is Sweden doing".

He's not talking about what should be, what ought to be, or making a moral judgement. He's doing the job of a correspondent.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

spankmeister posted:

Yes, but they're still independent and not state propaganda. Unlike something like RT.

See, I'd dispute that. Quote Deutsche-Welle-Gesetz $4 (deepl)

quote:

Deutsche Welle's offerings are intended to make Germany understandable as a nation of culture* that has developed in Europe and as a free democratic constitutional state. They are intended to provide a forum for German and other points of view on important topics, especially in the fields of politics, culture and economics, both in Europe and on other continents, with the aim of promoting understanding and exchange between cultures and peoples. Deutsche Welle promotes the German language in particular.

* That is not an accurate translation of Kulturnation, but you get the drift

It's no less state propaganda just because it tends to have fairly high journalistic standards and independence from direct political interference. It tends to be a decent source, but half of its council is appointed by the government.

Radio Free Europe is a similar deal.

e: It's no RT of course in terms of journalism

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

It's much more likely that Russia is just plundering Belorussian depots and shipping all that materiel east.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

That's pretty close to the statement of Germany that Ukraine is receiving data from German spy satellites, but it's okay, you can't directly use high resolution SAR images as targeting data since there's a few hours transmission and processing delay.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I think the simple deaths vs. births graph isn't quite telling the big picture.

Observe:

Russian infant mortality isn't bad enough to distort it, so we can assume that the post-millenium numbers roughly reflect actual births.

Note the sharp decline post-dissolution of the USSR, but also note that 2014 seems to have reversed a trend of rising cohorts.

And also, yikes that is a bad pyramid.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Arte has released a sequel to Mariupolis. Currently only in German and French, though the images speak for themselves: https://www.arte.tv/de/videos/109827-000-A/mariupolis-2/

Note that you may need to come from an IP within certain countries.

Machine translated description:

quote:

In 2015, Mantas Kvedaravicius filmed life in Mariupol, the Ukrainian port city that was attacked with rockets by pro-Russian soldiers during a ceasefire. In 2022, shortly after the start of the Russian war of aggression on Ukraine, Mantas Kvedaravicius returns to Mariupol. There, in the centre of the war, he wanted to be with the people he had met and filmed in 2015. At the end of March, he is captured and killed by Russian forces in Mariupol. The filmed material can be saved, and Kvedaravicius' producers and collaborators have put all their energy into passing on his work, his vision and his films.
As a filmmaker, Lithuanian anthropologist Mantas Kvedaravicius (1976-2022), who holds a doctorate, wanted to distance himself as much as possible from the agitation of the media and politicians. With great power and sensitivity, "Mariupolis 2" depicts life in the midst of the bombardment, showing images that both show tragedy and convey hope.
In a shooting note, Mantas Kvedaravicius writes: "Do you know what is most extraordinary about Mariupol? None of the inhabitants feared death ... Death was already there and nobody wanted to die for nothing. People supported each other, even if they risked their lives."

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Staluigi posted:

How do we get to "assured" here, because it doesn't sound like it

The USA was warned repeatedly, internally and externally, that scuttling the JCPOA would inevitably result in the Iranian reformers (who were proven wrong to trust the USA) losing control to the hardliners (who just got proven absolutely right). Anyone with two brain cells would conclude that, with rapprochement with the west decisively failed, Iran would turn to whichever nearby power that wasn't hostile to it. That was going to be Russia.

This was completely inevitable and predictable years ago.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

PederP posted:

[Balkan stuff]

I'd just like to add that the peace process in the Balkans is still slowly crawling forward bit by bit now, twenty years later. There's some progress and the Berlin Process is meeting right now until November 3rd.

There's a very EU-y process going on trying to build civic institutions for cooperation between the states. Today it was announced that they* will build visa-free travel between each other and have university degrees recognised across them.

* Montenegro, Serbia, North Macedonia, Albania,Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo

So at least that's something positive happening.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Tuna-Fish posted:

The problem with this is that renewables work a lot better in California than they do in Central or Northern Europe. What renewables do you propose to power Germany with in the winter months when there is basically no sunlight, and when very cold weather typically coincides with zero wind?

Germany's electricity surplus is largest in winter, in large part due to the over abundance of wind. It is lower in summer, due to the lack of wind.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

They dug trenches in the Red loving Forest. That area is hot as hell below the surface. The zone is safe as long as you don't picnic in the moss, but digging is still very ill-advised.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Alan Smithee posted:

So whose idea was it to give every individual NATO country veto power?

Do you think any country on the planet would enter a collective defense alliance without having a veto over who gets into the alliance?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Foggy Albion? Someone’s on a real bender, sheesh. This is like 3rd echelon of unnecessarily witty phrases.

I think it's the best he could mobilise.

Rushing into a heavily mined urban area to pursue a retreating army is a great way to take lots and lots of casualties. I wouldn't expect much to happen in Kherson, urban terrain just isn't made for decisive pushes.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Charliegrs posted:

How in the hell would western countries ever have fought a war with Russia? Just the act of supplying a third party with arms is now depleting their ammo reserves I can't imagine what it would be like if NATO countries fought Russia (or China) directly. I know the military industrial complex must be LOVING this though.

Nobody enters a war with enough materiel and ammunition to prosecute it to the end. That seems to be a constant since the first world war: Everyone underestimates their burn rate. Keep in mind that no NATO country has transitioned to a war economy or used emergency powers to accelerate production.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Pook Good Mook posted:

Fair to point out that a big reason Germany changed so much was because its enemies killed and jailed everyone responsible for the crimes. That just won't happen with Russia.

That is hilariously off base. The entire judiciary and security apparatus was kept full of Nazis, prominent Nazis got their Persilschein and were either recruited by the allies or put back to work.

There was no actual reckoning until decades after.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Hannibal Rex posted:

https://archive.ph/2022.11.17-162721/https://www.newyorker.com/news/q-and-a/john-mearsheimer-on-putins-ambitions-after-nine-months-of-war

Isaac Chotiner has talked to Mearsheimer again. It's savage.

"Annexing parts of Ukraine is not imperialistic, because he's gonna leave a rump state, see?"

You are underselling what a brutal slaughter that interview is. It is incredibly revealing and Mearsheimer's attempts to deflect from his visit to Hungary are so suspicious Chotiner pounces immediately. You don't dangle that sort of thing in front of a journalist and not expect them to start prying.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

If I were mean (and I am), I'd call Mearsheimer the Chomsky of International Relations. Yes, he's influential in that field, and now he's embarassing himself in increasingly cringe inducing ways.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

He's best buddies with Orban apparently, and pulling on that thread could reveal that he has some ulterior motives. I would absolutely not be surprised if Mearsheimer could be goaded into going all-in on Culture War bullshit in an interview on IR. Talking about Hungary is such dangerous territory because it exposes that his stance, that he's just rationally explaining Putin with Facts and Logic, may not be very true at all.

He has the good sense to know it's dangerous territory, but any decent journalist will start prying when someone is trying to conceal something.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Sri.Theo posted:

What’s the benefit of tungsten pellets over explosives? Wouldn’t they be just at reflective at ruining things?

The strength of an explosion decreases at r³ (iirc, i'm too lazy to check the right exponent, and disregarding anything that constricts expansion). That also means that putting twice as much explosive in doesn't yield twice as much destructive power.

What is done instead is to use the explosion to propel shrapnel. The shrapnel flies further and keeps its energy for long distances, even if the amount of shrapnel per m² decreases rapidly the further away from the explosion you get. That's how your standard hand grenade usually operates, that's how artillery shells usually operate. That's why pipe bombs get lined with nails, screws, ball bearings etc.

Those ball bearing missiles are really not that special. Think of an upscaled pipe bomb with a rocket and guidance system.

Antigravitas fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 18, 2022

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

The A10 has serious trouble even hitting a tank with the gun even if the environment isn't saturated with all types of air defense. It would still do a mission kill if it managed to hit, which it won't, because it would be a cloud of shrapnel impacting terrain on any modern battlefield long before that.

Use a missile instead. Those work.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I had a look and apparently Russia is using flechettes in artillery shells, and that's what Bucha was shelled with. That's another Vietnam era thing…

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Nenonen posted:

Wouldn't this be either Bofors 40mm or Oerlikon 20 or 30mm autocannons? Just the thought of trying to shoot at drones with a howitzer is :goofy:

I'm not sure what other SPAAGs are really out there that they could acquire.

… are there still VADS out there?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

CeeJee posted:

There are hundreds, if not thousands of twin 23mm ZSU AA guns all over the world from Soviet times. If they ask around in the Commonwealth Nigeria has 350, South Africa has three dozen mounted akready on trucks, Mozambique has 150 and plenty from other countries:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZU-23-2

I honestly just dismissed those. But yeah, that would make sense, I guess.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

The representative of the German MoD said that this deal is at the stage of "we offered and they were receptive". There is no deal yet, not even real details. So there's a very real possibility it'll end up like the PzH 2000 maintenance facility deal.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

The one that was supposed to be in Poland, but Poland insisted on complete technology transfer of the entire thing to Polish companies, yes. That's why it's not in Poland.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

alex314 posted:

Also how would some Polish company service PZH2000 without tech know-how transfer :psyboom: It's either some weirdly translated hot-take or I don't get some point of the discussion.

They wouldn't, because the manufacturer would service them.

It wasn't a good-faith demand.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Libluini posted:

Germany promised to secure Polish airspace with Patriots and Eurofighter-patrols.

In turn, the Polish government made the very reasonable additional suggestion to also station German Patriots on the Ukrainian side of the border.

So far, the Bundesregierung has refused to comment.

As I predicted, Poland is again acting in bad faith.

Germany is not going to station German troops in Ukraine and the USA is not going to allow a Patriot system operated by Germany to be stationed in a non-NATO country.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Rinkles posted:

What are they playing at?

"German bad" is half of the PiS platform. There's really no point trying to work with Poland, they are more interested their white nationalist project than anything else, and for that they need an external enemy. Not coincidentally, Germany opposes their autocratic projects at the EU level.

Warbadger posted:

So it's actually a pretty big challenge. Current SHORAD designs to combat drones tend to combine software driven IRST sensors looking for hot things in the sky with a millimeter wave radar searching for things that look like drones on radar. The guns tend to work similarly to the gepard - programmable airbursting munitions, but unlike the gepard only firing a couple of them at a time.

Gepards fire in small bursts, and the ammunition isn't programmed. The Gepard measures velocity of rounds as they exit the barrel to adjust the firing solution. You're thinking of successor systems like the Mantis.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Ukraine got FAPDS ammo afaik, it's not HE but kinetic. Bursts are selectable depending on target, "kurz" would be 6 rounds, "normal" is 20. :eng101:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

He put the game stuff onto another channel. He did a bunch of Terra Invicta videos lately. Probably doesn't want to mix the war presentation videos with his defending the earth from alien threat videos.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

An autocrat's hold on power is usually built on personal loyalties rather than democratic legitimisation. They may have their own personal military and police forces loyal only to them, but that can become dangerous once they look weak and vulnerable. That's especially true if a scapegoat is needed after a lost war when it may be tempting to put all the blame on the guy in charge, coup the guy in charge, and go "whoops, sorry, that guy with the funny haircut caused all this and now he's gone, welp, no harm intended right?".

Of course, it may also lead to the guy in charge losing his head for being insufficiently radically committed to the cause, as determined by the rabid nutjobs put in place by the now ex-guy formerly in charge (now a head shorter).

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I'd give that a rating of 5 out of 10 "FSB-Letters".

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I don't think a Mathias Rust AA drone is quite within the realm of credibility.

At the end of the day, subsonic cruise missiles outrange supersonic AD missiles, and the bombers aren't in any danger and won't be in any scenario.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Arte has uploaded a video on Mine clearing in Ukraine, curiously the first video I've seen from them that uses English VO instead of subtitles.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

If I had a posh accent instead of a Plattdüütsch tinted German one, I'd be using it everywhere as well.

However, Lindybeige is indeed a hack.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

This is from a THW press release thrown through machine translation:

quote:

470 power generators of different power classes with a total value of around 19.5 million euros are being provided to Ukraine by the Federal Agency for Technical Relief (THW). THW has already delivered some of the new generators, which were financed with funds from THW and the Federal Foreign Office (AA), to Ukraine. The transports for further equipment are currently being planned. 70 additional power generators will be handed over to the Republic of Moldova. "The power supply represents an important point in the Critical Infrastructure of every country. That is why it is even more important that we can make an important contribution to supplying the population in Ukraine with the deliveries of the power generators," explains THW President Gerd Friedsam.

So far, THW has delivered a total of almost 150 newly procured power generators with a total value of 2.5 million Euros to Ukraine. Another 320 power generators are currently being prepared for transport to Ukraine by THW relief workers or will soon be delivered by the manufacturers to THW for further transport to the war region. Some of the brand-new devices will be delivered directly to Ukrenergo, the largest Ukrainian energy supplier, to stabilise the energy supply. This will enable it to ensure a provisional power supply to important facilities. Further generators will be transported to Odessa, Mykolayiv and the Kherson region. The power spectrum of the generators ranges from 200 to 1,000 kVA. Some of the units are suitable for mounting on car trailers so that they can be used very flexibly.

1000 kVA is nothing to sneeze at. That's a small hospital worth of electricity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

The most likely Gepard-alike of the future will be something like the Skyranger 30 HEL, which basically reads like a Battletech loadout (30mm gun, laser, missiles on a boxer chassis).

The Gepard was axed because it's a very complicated and expensive machine on a battlefield that was going to be dominated by PGM from jets outside of its engagement envelope.