Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I'm pretty sure everyone is aware that this is the price of having no IK - but that's preferred to upsetting the status quo by adding one. The value proposition is even worse for people invited to be IKs, especially if they want to post outside D&D.

Fair enough, if this this is the official thread community stance, or as close to one as we’d get, I’m more than glad to respect it, having it been actually communicated. My idea to get an IK for Scandipol was not a response to some clear problem, but an act of overdue recognition to the body of posting there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Why does just living somewhere or having lived somewhere make someone an expert and grant them any special protection? I live in America, do my opinions on American politics get special protection from posters living in other countries? Do they have to be extra deferential in disagreeing with me or risk punishment?

There are people who live in America who will tell you that the country is crisscrossed with a network of secret tunnels where children are bred to be sex slaves for one party's political leaders to enjoy in the basement of a Washington DC pizza restaurant. If true, that's a slam dunk case that someone needs to invade America and take out our criminal adrenochrome drinking regime. Just living here doesn't magically make someone a better source for information, especially in a complicated situation like "should we support an invasion of that country"

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 29, 2022

selec
Sep 6, 2003

I have PMd Koos about my beefs before, but yeah if you are not a boring rear end Democratic placebo-satisfied poster, you will not have a good time in DnD. Maybe it’s eventually going to have to become a virtual simulacrum of those places in Europe that feel like a village but they’re just Truman Showing people with dementia as the world outside collapses.

Right now though, based on my expertise as a poster (20+ years) and my experience from around when I registered (and having felt compelled to register after lurking DND for a decent amount of time) the moderation is making all the same mistakes of the early 2000s. Catering to a specific group of posters, most of whom eventually left the forums in shame or were radicalized against the wars they’d previously defended and run other posters out of the forums for opposing.

But we’re in the period where the consensus (which was in those days that opposing the wars wasn’t just dumb, it was actively traitorous and probably shouldn’t be allowed) that will eventually be fleeing in shame is in control of the moderation. However, that consensus has somehow managed to absorb the previous heresy (We hosed up and should never have gone into Afghanistan and Iraq) and now that has somehow been absorbed and normalized without learning any of the lessons of how that came to be.

It’s a sad, predictable history you are repeating. I don’t post much in DND anymore, even when people are discussing things I have direct, relevant Expertise (there are other fields than media criticism that can be discussed) because there’s no loving point and it’s not like any value I add can be absorbed by people so consumed with the offense of disagreeing with them.

Being wrong isn’t the offense, it’s not being wrong their way that is the offense.

Oh here’s something I remember from my history BA: people used to get in trouble AFTER the war for being “prematurely anti-fascist” aka leftist. You had to get that Hitler was bad not too early, not too late, otherwise there was something kooky about that. If DV and EW ever need a rhetorical out for eventually having to accept a thread consensus they vocally and angrily opposed previously, maybe think of an angle around that.

selec fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 29, 2022

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The arguments would hold much more weight with even like 1-2 examples. So far it sounds like my racist uncle talking about how he's been silenced by political correctness but unable to actually explain when or where this happened.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

socialsecurity posted:

The arguments would hold much more weight with even like 1-2 examples. So far it sounds like my racist uncle talking about how he's been silenced by political correctness but unable to actually explain when or where this happened.

This reminds me of another thing, you aren’t allowed to hold other posters beneath your contempt. I do not support all DND posters! Some of you are very dumb!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

Why does just living somewhere or having lived somewhere make someone an expert and grant them any special protection? I live in America, do my opinions on American politics get special protection from posters living in other countries? Do they have to be extra deferential in disagreeing with me or risk punishment?

People live in America who will tell you that the country is crisscrossed with a network of secret tunnels where children are bred to be sex slaves for one party's political leaders to enjoy in the basement of a Washington DC pizza restaurant. If true, that's a slam dunk case that someone needs to invade America and take out our criminal adrenochrome drinking regime. Just living here doesn't magically make someone a better source for information, especially in a complicated situation like "should we support an invasion of that country"

Bluntly, the reason for giving a nod to non-American posters is that the average American needs a few minutes to find America on the globe, and that this is a majority American website, despite D&D itself no longer being a majority-American subforum, to all of which the expectations for an American circlejerk barrelling into a conversation about internal affairs of Haiti gets calibrated. Our China thread is the main casualty of inconsistent moderation support throughout the years, in this context, with the majority of local posters having abandoned it years ago because they got tired of being shouted down by a 10-fold number of Americans regurgitating their morning news or some such at them.

That said, you’re correct that living somewhere doesn’t make you an expert automatically. Critical thinking is not waived at all in making sure that the minority perspective is acknowledged.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 29, 2022

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

selec posted:

I have PMd Koos about my beefs before, but yeah if you are not a boring rear end Democratic placebo-satisfied poster, you will not have a good time in DnD. Maybe it’s eventually going to have to become a virtual simulacrum of those places in Europe that feel like a village but they’re just Truman Showing people with dementia as the world outside collapses.

Right now though, based on my expertise as a poster (20+ years) and my experience from around when I registered (and having felt compelled to register after lurking DND for a decent amount of time) the moderation is making all the same mistakes of the early 2000s. Catering to a specific group of posters, most of whom eventually left the forums in shame or were radicalized against the wars they’d previously defended and run other posters out of the forums for opposing.

But we’re in the period where the consensus (which was in those days that opposing the wars wasn’t just dumb, it was actively traitorous and probably shouldn’t be allowed) that will eventually be fleeing in shame is in control of the moderation. However, that consensus has somehow managed to absorb the previous heresy (We hosed up and should never have gone into Afghanistan and Iraq) and now that has somehow been absorbed and normalized without learning any of the lessons of how that came to be.

It’s a sad, predictable history you are repeating. I don’t post much in DND anymore, even when people are discussing things I have direct, relevant Expertise (there are other fields than media criticism that can be discussed) because there’s no loving point and it’s not like any value I add can be absorbed by people so consumed with the offense of disagreeing with them.

Being wrong isn’t the offense, it’s not being wrong their way that is the offense.

Oh here’s something I remember from my history BA: people used to get in trouble AFTER the war for being “prematurely anti-fascist” aka leftist. You had to get that Hitler was bad not too early, not too late, otherwise there was something kooky about that. If DV and EW ever need a rhetorical out for eventually having to accept a thread consensus they vocally and angrily opposed previously, maybe think of an angle around that.

I'm not sure what moderation policies or decisions you're referring to here, but you are allowed to be anti-intervention in D&D (along with having any other position). In fact, if the consensus is pro-intervention, I would be glad to see someone go against it if they have real arguments because dissent enriches discussion.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Our China thread is the main casualty of inconsistent moderation support throughout the years, in this context, with the majority of local posters having abandoned it years ago because they got tired of being shouted down by a 10-fold number of Americans regurgitating their morning news or some such at them.
I think it makes a great deal more sense in country-specific threads. Sure maybe German posters don't want a bunch of Americans arguing with them about German politics based on something they saw on Twitter or whatever.

I don't see how it makes much sense in general political threads or in threads specifically about the US. Punishing Americans for even politely and thoughtfully disagreeing with someone who came into the US thread to argue about US foreign policy, just because their parents owned a restaurant in another country, makes much less sense.

Like if UK-US relationship came up in the UKPol thread I would not expect to be able to go in there and have everyone defer to me on UK policy toward America because living in America supposedly makes me an expert on all things involving America.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 29, 2022

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The situation was a bunch of American's talking about how things were in Haiti and when someone from Haiti came to speak up he was being shouted down for being wrong about the country he grew up in by a bunch of people who had never even been there, that's quite different then the examples being made up here.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

socialsecurity posted:

The situation was a bunch of American's talking about how things were in Haiti and when someone from Haiti came to speak up he was being shouted down for being wrong about the country he grew up in by a bunch of people who had never even been there, that's quite different then the examples being made up here.

Shouting down (cheerleading, brigading, insults, etc) are already against the rules though, you don't need to cite someone's expert credentials to punish that.

Were they being shouted down or just disagreed with.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

I think it makes a great deal more sense in country-specific threads. Sure maybe German posters don't want a bunch of Americans arguing with them about German politics based on something they saw on Twitter or whatever.

I don't see how it makes much sense in general political threads or in threads specifically about the US. Punishing Americans for even polity and thoughtfully disagreeing with someone who came into the US thread to argue about US foreign policy, just because their parents owned a restaurant in another country, makes much less sense.

Like if UK-US relationship came up in the UKPol thread I would not expect to be able to go in there and have everyone defer to me on UK policy toward America because living in America supposedly makes me an expert on all things involving America.

I agree with you on this. Some room has to be made somewhere for the underrepresented, but US-centric discourse is a reasonable expectation for a thread about US politics. In the context of the recent relevant moderation flashpoint, Haiti chat, the conversation happened in the LatAm regional thread and CE both, and I haven’t found time to read the latter much recently.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 29, 2022

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

For reference this is the post (in the US thread, not a Haiti specific thread or something) that was actually punished

cat botherer posted:

You sure seem to be describing a post-apocalypic wasteland. So you think there won't be restaurants in Haiti if we don't intervene?

edit:
To be more clear, Haiti has had horrible violence, civil wars, etc in the past. Whatever is happening now, it has been a lot worse. Previous interventions haven't had a great track record. Justifying intervention by the level of violence alone is nonsense. There is always violence independent of our actions. What matters for decision-making in this case, is not the current violence, but the change in violence we expect due to the action we take in response to the current situation.

The justifications of pro-interventionists ITT are the same used for countless other foreign actions throughout history, the majority with poor outcomes. Why is this different? What sets it apart? I'm asking for positive evidence beyond the admittedly grim current statistics, because those statistics can always get worse.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Koos Group posted:

I'm not sure what moderation policies or decisions you're referring to here, but you are allowed to be anti-intervention in D&D (along with having any other position). In fact, if the consensus is pro-intervention, I would be glad to see someone go against it if they have real arguments because dissent enriches discussion.

It’s a real “what’s water?” kind of scenario and I am not expecting it to get better because you do or do not do/understand something.

It’s fine, it’ll resolve itself naturally as poo poo that is the consensus now will be rolled back when the obvious failures of it become something even the folks arguing for it now can no longer defend.

You can’t fix it without letting the failure happen because it’s fundamentally a difference of worldviews and ideologies which cannot be resolved. You can’t argue people out of things they inherited, they have to disavow them themselves, and it’s the rare case when a poster convinced another poster; almost every formerly-liberal poster here would describe a process that went on within themselves in response to observing reality outside the forums, not primarily because of posts on the forum, that led to their conversion.

The road to Damascus has no geographical intersection with DND and it never has.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I think you misunderstand how this works. The point of trying to get an IK for Scandipol was to offer the thread to have a voice in a hypothetical moderation action. As the thread has broadly ignored the offer to self-moderate itself, no one is going to be consulted when in mods’ subjective opinion something has to be done in it.

The concern of D&D is not how posters post somewhere else, or how they have posted in the past, unless they’re posting in bad faith and allege to hold immediately contradictory opinions. If you want to gossip your posting enemies, instead of challenging their argument on merits, do that somewhere else.

IC1 and IIC1 differ in that being a passive aggressive rear end in a top hat goes under IC1 even if you don’t ever mention a poster, but a non-negative commentary about other posters is still not welcome in D&D.

Just post in C-SPAM if you want to post in C-SPAM. The whole point of having multiple subforums is to meet different expectations of different posters, and “recreational hipfiring about politics” is well served already by one.

Do you have any recent examples of this?

Dude, I've posted here almost a decade longer than you've had an account. The way you run D&D is not how it was run in the past. You probe anything that doesn't fit your mold of discussion, and don't apply any nuance or understanding to your moderation.

I've also never really posted in CSpam, and probably never will. It's possible to have a less than academic discussion of politics without taking a bottle of black pills.

I honestly don't appreciate the way you make assumptions about people and how you stifle discussion with a thoughtless push of a button.

I'm sure USCE will continue to be productive and discuss important topics such as Nancy Pelosis boobs.

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 29, 2022

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I think you misunderstand how this works. The point of trying to get an IK for Scandipol was to offer the thread to have a voice in a hypothetical moderation action. As the thread has broadly ignored the offer to self-moderate itself, no one is going to be consulted when in mods’ subjective opinion something has to be done in it.

Why was the dude you tried to force into an IK for the thread not disqualified by his horrible racism? You made it clear you were vetting candidates so I don't get why that wasn't a dealbreaker.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

thermodynamics cheated
As the resident haitian "expert" which mainly makes me the Authority on the absolutely best tasting yet most un-instagramnable foods in the entire universe like sos kabrit, having someone come into conversation about an ongoing tragedy,

with an intimate personal lived familiarity with this current event in their specific culture that is emphatically not yours,

doesn't automatically affirm their views as the "expert" against you,

but does put you at great risk of seeming like an insufferable rear end in a top hat if what appears to be happening is that you are participating in flooding that discussion with incorrect assertions in service of an ideological agenda which is really quite impersonal to the culture in question, it just wants to use it as a pet convenience

Which is part of what was loving wrong there (the other part being that there were gratuitously uninformed and absolutely reckless conspiracy theories being made part of this)

The solution is to not rush to risking being an rear end in a top hat in these situations, but I admit this is usually very hard for white ideologues who just can't wait to lecture us on the Secret Truths of struggles in other cultures

I live with someone who is part of another culture but will only reluctantly ever again participate in discussions about their culture here because of the same phenomenon

Anyway if anyone is up to relitigating the dumbshit absolutes of that dumbshit conversation or do more of that loving Median Haitian Rapes Per Hour Estimated calculus i'm still here watching henry find a new floor for the stability of port au prince and feeling awful about the whole thing, which means it's a great time to center the conversation in anglocentric revolutionary concerns, even better than normal, because the odds of making someone like me realize it's a mistake to discuss it at all here and want to never talk about it again are very high and can be done with a minimum of cretinousness

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Staluigi posted:

As the resident haitian "expert" which mainly makes me the Authority on the absolutely best tasting yet most un-instagramnable foods in the entire universe like sos kabrit, having someone come into conversation about an ongoing tragedy,

with an intimate personal lived familiarity with this current event in their specific culture that is emphatically not yours,

doesn't automatically affirm their views as the "expert" against you,

but does put you at great risk of seeming like an insufferable rear end in a top hat if what appears to be happening is that you are participating in flooding that discussion with incorrect assertions in service of an ideological agenda which is really quite impersonal to the culture in question, it just wants to use it as a pet convenience

Which is part of what was loving wrong there (the other part being that there were gratuitously uninformed and absolutely reckless conspiracy theories being made part of this)

The solution is to not rush to risking being an rear end in a top hat in these situations, but I admit this is usually very hard for white ideologues who just can't wait to lecture us on the Secret Truths of struggles in other cultures

I live with someone who is part of another culture but will only reluctantly ever again participate in discussions about their culture here because of the same phenomenon

Anyway if anyone is up to relitigating the dumbshit absolutes of that dumbshit conversation or do more of that loving Median Haitian Rapes Per Hour Estimated calculus i'm still here watching henry find a new floor for the stability of port au prince and feeling awful about the whole thing, which means it's a great time to center the conversation in anglocentric revolutionary concerns, even better than normal, because the odds of making someone like me realize it's a mistake to discuss it at all here and want to never talk about it again are very high and can be done with a minimum of cretinousness

If the US is going to be in charge of an intervention , wouldn’t that mean we need to center voices from both countries?

Why is my lived experience of the repeated failures of intervention irrelevant? Why is my not wanting my country to commit more oppression and maintenance of a terrible global status quo not relevant to the discussion?

The rape math stuff was loving disgusting, agree there.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mischievous Mink posted:

Why was the dude you tried to force into an IK for the thread not disqualified by his horrible racism? You made it clear you were vetting candidates so I don't get why that wasn't a dealbreaker.

IKs get very superficial vetting - someone just glances at their rap sheet, 1-2 pages of recent posts, maybe an admin does some admin checks if they’re really bored and stumble into the thread. The reason for this hands-off vetting is that IKs have superficial power, and there are no serious expectations towards them handling sensitive PMs or similar, and a thread or forum in need should be able to get one on a short notice. Consequently, no one spent time reading years of their posting history. I did, however, make an effort to solicit feedback and nominations from the thread.

In any case, being a “horrible racist”, which is a claim that I cannot confirm for not having read any much of their posts, and that I have to intrinsically question the veracity of due to substantial political animosity between them and select other thread regulars, doesn’t automatically disqualify someone from being a D&D IK, if their posts are coherent and follow the relevant rules. Breaking SA or D&D rules on a regular basis does disqualify one, but there’s a distance between being a mainstream Scandinavian conservative, which is speculate is a load-bearing element of your allegation, and the threshold at which general SA rules against bigotry kick in.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 29, 2022

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

thermodynamics cheated

selec posted:

Why is my lived experience of the repeated failures of intervention irrelevant? Why is my not wanting my country to commit more oppression and maintenance of a terrible global status quo not relevant to the discussion?

Who the gently caress are you talking to, do I need to direct this conversation to the nearest strawman who actually made those claims? Because I charge a redirection fee

$5 or you can leave me alone for free

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

selec posted:

If the US is going to be in charge of an intervention , wouldn’t that mean we need to center voices from both countries?

The rape math stuff was loving disgusting, agree there.

Reading the news about poo poo happening in other countries is not lived experience.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Reading the news about poo poo happening in other countries is not lived experience.

Talking to/being veterans who did the poo poo in the other country? Paying taxes to the government that does those things?

Entirely relevant. Your post doesn’t stand scrutiny unless you believe the US is like a ghost or a boogyman instead of the material reality of the wealthiest country on earth, with a built-in sense of entitlement to declare what other, less powerful nations should do, or else.

The idea that citizens of the hegemon have no meaningful way to contribute to discussions of what the hegemon may get up to is just laughable on its face.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I'm not trying to relitigate who was right or wrong, or argue with you personally. I just don't think the rule as applied is good for discussion, and when someone claimed that staluigi was being "shouted down", I provided the post to show that didn't actually happen (imo anyway).

Like yeah several Americans disagreed with them, and several Americans agreed with them. It's not really surprising that if you post about a complex geopolitical topic in the US politics thread that the majority of replies would be American. Describing that as "shouting down" is absurd imo.

If I went into the UK Pol thread and argued with them about their country's relationship to America, it would be rather for someone to say I was being "shouted down" by Anglocentrists because most of the people disagreeing with me in the UK thread live in the UK.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 29, 2022

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

selec posted:

Talking to/being veterans who did the poo poo in the other country? Paying taxes to the government that does those things?

Entirely relevant. Your post doesn’t stand scrutiny unless you believe the US is like a ghost or a boogyman instead of the material reality of the wealthiest country on earth, with a built-in sense of entitlement to declare what other, less powerful nations should do, or else.

The idea that citizens of the hegemon have no meaningful way to contribute to discussions of what the hegemon may get up to is just laughable on its face.

What the gently caress are you talking about I just objected to you equating second hand information with living in a country and seeing conditions on the ground. It's like you think you're so goddamn smart that no one could possibly disagree with you for a reason you haven't foreseen. Jesus.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

What the gently caress are you talking about I just objected to you equating second hand information with living in a country and seeing conditions on the ground. It's like you think you're so goddamn smart that no one could possibly disagree with you for a reason you haven't foreseen. Jesus.

I don’t think that’s the point of disagreement, it’s just that if the US is thinking about invading, disagreeing that we shouldn’t isnt something that can be solved by “ok but I live here” because literally every failed US intervention had people on the ground in the place being invaded/intervened in asking for it to happen.

A person on the ground cannot be really be countered on what they see and hear, I agree. But just as all emotions are valid, it doesn’t mean what you then want to do with/about them is. It’s very easy to conflate those two things, but they are two separate things, and when the “what do we do/not do” question arises, if the US is in the mix, then that opens the door, quite reasonably, to insist that the entire history of the US’ relation to that smaller state is relevant, and that the opinions of US posters on the actions being proposed is also just as relevant now.

I am not here to say that Haitians are wrong about what’s happening in their country, but I am going to have a lot of opinions about the US rolling in to “help”. Does that clarify?

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

IKs get very superficial vetting - someone just glances at their rap sheet, 1-2 pages of recent posts, maybe an admin does some admin checks if they’re really bored and stumble into the thread. The reason for this hands-off vetting is that IKs have superficial power, and there are no serious expectations towards them handling sensitive PMs or similar, and a thread or forum in need should be able to get one on a short notice. Consequently, no one spent time reading years of their posting history. I did, however, make an effort to solicit feedback and nominations from the thread.

In any case, being a “horrible racist”, which is a claim that I cannot confirm for not having read any much of their posts, and that I have to intrinsically question the veracity of due to substantial political animosity between them and select other thread regulars, doesn’t automatically disqualify someone from being a D&D IK, if their posts are coherent and follow the relevant rules. Breaking SA or D&D rules on a regular basis does disqualify one, but there’s a distance between being a mainstream Scandinavian conservative, which is speculate is a load-bearing element of your allegation, and the threshold at which general SA rules against bigotry kick in.

You should really have given his rap sheet a superficial glance then instead of wasting your time on all this vapid nonsense.

Cardiac posted:

I thought it was the Somali women who worked since the men were high on khat? Somali is btw one of the hardest to integrate where one reason is how many can’t read, something essential to be able to work in Sweden. The numbers for Somalis is really depressing.

As for degrees, in 2015 fast tracks to verify degrees were put in motion but with as far as I have understood disappointing results. The high-degree doctor being a taxi driver is to a large extent an urban myth. A clear majority of the immigrants have little to none education, which their home countries census records also show.
The degrees are also not worth much if you can’t communicate in the host country’s language.

Finally, 8 years to find any form of employment is kinda bad. In that time you can basically do an entire bachelor-master-PhD.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Lived experience isn't necessarily more reliable than the news either. It might be, but it might not be.

Any rule against disagreeing with people's "lived experience" needs to be properly thought out, because arguments should also be well sourced and backed up, not just appeals to authority

Ie
"Malaysia is so poor they don't even have Kentucky Fried Chicken"
"I live in Malaysia and I'm posting from a KFC right now."
"Well Malaysia looks poor on my TV so you must be lying"

versus

"Biden legitimately won the 2020 election"
"I live in America and I worked the election and signed that affidavit that I personally saw all the cheating going on"
"You couldn't have seen that here's a mountain of proof discrediting all the claims of cheating"

You could dismiss both as "reading the news about poo poo happening" being inferior to "lived experience" but uhhhh one is a lot more reasonable than the other.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

selec posted:

I am not here to say that Haitians are wrong about what’s happening in their country, but I am going to have a lot of opinions about the US rolling in to “help”. Does that clarify?

I think this is a very helpful clarification to make explicitly, and in the context of conversation possibly happening in the US CE thread and in the LatAm thread, the posts to the tune of what you just said would be rightly placed in CE. For LatAm thread, the preferred posting etiquette on the quoted discourse would be to meet the local perspective in the middle.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mischievous Mink posted:

You should really have given his rap sheet a superficial glance then instead of wasting your time on all this vapid nonsense.

And a superficial glance I did. Short rap sheet with no bans and no recent long probations is good enough for an IK. Literally no one is going to open a vague probation from 4 years ago, in this context. If we miss something that way, we can always just take their buttons away - it’s only an IK.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The "FYAD" posters/regulars are definitely not aligned with the mods.

They definitely are if you only read some threads there.

e: Also, if you're willingly part of an administration, you don't get to disavow any association with or responsibility for it. If you're a mod and see that kind of hostile atmosphere goin on, act accordingly or become complicit by not doing anything.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Just because you don't get your way doesn't mean it's not working, and if you're posting poo poo that makes regulars actually agree with the mods then the problem is almost certainly on your end.

I never made a request there, ever, but thank you for your condescension.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Usually the OPs of those kinds of threads go in half-cocked, and completely fail to realize that QCS requires some degree of rhetoric*

[...]

Yes, if only people would use the right kind of rhetoric there when they get dogpiled indiscriminately, the dogpiling and ridiculing would immediately stop and their concerns would be sincerely considered!

Even if someone's way of expressing themselves imperfectly, there is no excuse for the way that place deals with people's concerns. That hostile atmosphere discourages people and renders the place unusable for its professed purpose, which in turn makes anybody referring anyone else there dishonest.

Mr. Smile Face Hat fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Oct 30, 2022

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

Then why have a thread on this forum? If they want to be among themselves, they can go to a German forum. As long as a country has forums that largely allow free speech without consequences, that's a viable alternative.

As it is, the German subforum is a run by a good old boys network of maybe 8 posters or so that in most cases mixes in a lot of domain-specific German words into every post or posts in German to begin with. I doubt this is very attractive to non-German posters here.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Bluntly, the reason for giving a nod to non-American posters is that the average American needs a few minutes to find America on the globe

Can you prove this? Also, even if you can, should we base a discussion forum on your blunt stereotypes of "frankly, most people from country X are ignorant/idiots"?

Outside of having first-hand knowledge of some things happening on the ground somewhere, I'm not seeing how that ennobles someone's opinions.

Lastly, there have been cases on these forums of people pretending to be something they aren't, so I'd be extra careful about that to begin with.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

Then why have a thread on this forum? If they want to be among themselves, they can go to a German forum. As long as a country has forums that largely allow free speech without consequences, that's a viable alternative.

As it is, the German subforum is a run by a good old boys network of maybe 8 posters or so that in most cases mixes in a lot of domain-specific German words into every post or posts in German to begin with. I doubt this is very attractive to non-German posters here.

The point of the regional threads is for people from the region to hang out and talk about things unlikely relevant to anyone else. Or at the very least to people without an explicit interest in that narrowly defined region.

Can you prove this? Also, even if you can, should we base a discussion forum on your blunt stereotypes of "frankly, most people from country X are ignorant/idiots"?

As much I like to flatter myself, I don’t think I can prove a deliberate hyperbole to not be such.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

The point of the regional threads is for people from the region to hang out and talk about things unlikely relevant to anyone else. Or at the very least to people without an explicit interest in that narrowly defined region.

What if someone has an interest, but doesn't speak the language? And if speaking the language is a requirement for participation, why have this thread on this site?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

As much I like to flatter myself, I don’t think I can prove a deliberate hyperbole to not be such.

You build rules on discrimination based on national origin and when called on it, it was just a joke. Very funny indeed.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

May we get a list of recognized experts, their areas of expertise, and preferably their credentials as a community resource so we know which poster's views carry more weight on a certain subject? It can be difficult to keep track of individual posters so some kind of sticky for quick referral would be great. Just post up whatever resource Koos uses to determine expertise as a start and we can add to it from there! I think this will really improve community interactions, plus it would be neat to see what people's real expertise is here!

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
USCE has had a distinct decline in the number of people talking about poo poo they clearly know nothing at all about or dropping inflammatory tweets with no context, at least on the usual set of topics. USCE is also a lot quieter now, but I don't think that's a bad thing. There's chat threads and vent threads elsewhere, and it's fine if a serious thread goes quiet when there's not much serious talk to be had. It's a sign that for once there's been real impact on how US general chat is run.

In regard to the recent Haiti kerfluffle, I'm going to push on something I think is slipping by in this discussion about it. Framing that in terms of "lived experience" or "expertise" is, I think, a distraction from what was going on. The problem wasn't that people were failing to sufficiently respect highly credentialed experts. The problem wasn't that people weren't showing sufficient deference to the anecdotes of posters who claimed to live there. The problem is that people were getting extremely basic and clearly documented facts flat-out wrong, and then throwing a fit when people tried to correct them.

They were making clearly and verifiably false statements, and some of them didn't back down even when challenged with well-sourced factual data. People were confidently saying poo poo that could have been proven totally wrong with five seconds on Google. I recall that at least one person insisted that they were describing the only way things could possibly be in a Central American country, and that any facts contradicting their narrative must simply have been faked to deceive us gullible souls.

That wasn't a issue between experts vs non-experts. It was just a disagreement about whether you need to know actually know anything about the current situation in Haiti before discussing the current situation in Haiti. Staluigi was only "an expert" in that he was the only person in that entire discussion who seemed to have heard of the Haiti situation before the potential foreign intervention was announced. No one in that discussion needed special treatment from the mods, they just needed the existing rules enforced.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

What if someone has an interest, but doesn't speak the language? And if speaking the language is a requirement for participation, why have this thread on this site?

There’s no rule that posts must be in English. Despite that, people still use English in regional threads quite often, because they don’t want to be rude to potential lurkers. For the same reason, if your interest includes formulating a question like a normal person would, someone will get back to you in English.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

There’s no rule that posts must be in English.

Sure, your posts as a mod to admonish people surely don't constitute a rule:

cinci zoo sniper posted:

[...]
Schreiben Sie hier bitte auf Englisch.

(Translation: Please post in English here.)

If I have to guess, your answer will now be that your post was just a friendly suggestion, I could have continued posting in German or another language I know and you wouldn't have probated me. (Your response to my post there was pointless anyway, because that conversation had already ended, but it looks to me like you wanted to set a thread rule.)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sure, your posts as a mod to admonish people surely don't constitute a rule:

(Translation: Please post in English here.)

If I have to guess, your answer will now be that your post was just a friendly suggestion, I could have continued posting in German or another language I know and you wouldn't have probated me. (Your response to my post there was pointless anyway, because that conversation had already ended, but it looks to me like you wanted to set a thread rule.)

My posts don’t constitute site-level rules on SA indeed. And no, I would’ve probated you on the next post written in German, for making a post useless to the thread - German speakers in it are a stark minority. Simultaneously, with the thread being an offshoot of the regional thread for Eastern Europe and having 10+ Russian speakers amongst the group I consider to be its regular contributors, posting there in Russian is perfectly fine by me.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
It is an issue that there's less current events being discussed in the USCE thread, because plenty's happening. The current practice of encouraging trolls to frame and dominate an issue for several pages has a depressing effect on other participation, and doesn't foster discussion of news sources in context. I'm planning to start adding content to the media literacy thread again in the next week or so; maybe I can rework some of it to help with that.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Discendo Vox posted:

It is an issue that there's less current events being discussed in the USCE thread, because plenty's happening. The current practice of encouraging trolls to frame and dominate an issue for several pages has a depressing effect on other participation, and doesn't foster discussion of news sources in context. I'm planning to start adding content to the media literacy thread again in the next week or so; maybe I can rework some of it to help with that.

I think the chat thread spinoff killed some of the USCE thread but this killed the rest, there really isn't much point in participating anymore when you are forced to pretend the same handful of assholes are posting in good faith when they've been trolling D&D for years and openly post about that's what they are doing. I stopped reading USCE for that exact reason and really only keep up with the war thread which stays readable because Cinci is so adamant about keeping the thread talking about the topic at hand. Even if I think sometimes that goes too far like the series of probes about the letter about the Ukraine War that came out of the House Democrats.

socialsecurity fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Oct 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

selec posted:

Excellent question. The answer is "Absolutely loving not." This was a tiresome mindset from the beginning.

In discussions about south korea, the various entanglements of american presence led to people doing much the same thing, overriding many discussions about korea by koreans because "If the US is present in a way which I determine a sufficient degree allows me to make this a discussion about my feelings about what america may or may not do, why should this discussion not mostly be about American agency, not Korean agency?"

It has aged poorly for the expected reasons. Thank you for asking.