Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Calpadi basically got the arc Colin Baker wanted on TV.

I don't think the Doctor should have any romantic interest in companions. It's a massive power imbalance - a centuries old super scientist alien vs some random human isn't an equal partnership, especially since most companions tend to be young and lack life experience. It shouldn't go any further than platonic, or be one sided, with the Doctor not being interested.

plus as we all know, Time Lords procreate through LOOMS :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

It's been a long standing rumour that there are at least seven episodes in private collector's hands, who refuse to allow them to be copied and returned and someone pinched the missing episode of the Web of Fear when it was being collected for copying and returning to the BBC.

Most of the Commonwealth archives have been exhausted now, so only missing episodes are probably going to come from private collectors, people who fished them out of the skip when they were thrown out, or mislabeled or misplaced reels.

But you never know, apparently that Australian collector was experimenting with video recording when the end of the Second Doctor era was shown there, so you never know....

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Flux is a lot of interesting ideas and characters, but thrown together in a way that makes very little sense.

Today's listen was Shadow of the Daleks 1 and 2, and its one of the more experimental releases featuring the Daleks. Brilliantly, it establishes early that this is both a Dalek story and a Time War story, but keeps both elements at arm's length for most of the set. Instead, we get the Fifth Doctor flitting from short story to short story, each with a small, confined setting featuring the same four faces playing different characters over and over again.

There's some really inventive and clever stories, and the Daleks are weaved into the narrative in a very clever way, and it plays to Davison's strengths, in a very stripped down way - no companions, just eight stories. And it leads to a moody and sad ending. I grabbed them in a recent sale, and it was well worth it.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Big Finish's version, with it implying that Susan got killed in the Time War is fine. Messing out with explaining Susan's nature, or regenerating her just seems like a mistake. Having the character be a painful, distant memory that drives the Doctor on works fine. I like the bit in Nightshade where 7 tells Ace that he thinks about Susan every day, but eventually stands by his decision. :unsmith:

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Eve was pretty good, but playing the creepy, unlikable stalker off as lovable comic relief was a misstep, especially that cringeworthy 'rasta' line.

Oh, and the Doctor being confused why the Daleks have sent a hit squad on her, when she's the ARCHENEMY OF THE DALEKS, but that was a minor quibble.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Sydney Bottocks posted:

It happened as far back as The Daleks' Master Plan during the Hartnell era, IIRC. So it's not all that recent a thing, really. :v:

In the expanded universe stuff, pre-Time War, Daleks had multiple wars of expansion with humanity over territory, most of which the Doctor had little to no involvement in. In-universe, the Daleks only had fairly primitive time travel abilities compared to the Time Lords for most of the classic series.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I'm not seeing much in that trailer that makes 14 seem that much different from 10, so I'm hoping there's some kind of twist. I suppose the timing of the new Doctor is a little awkward being stuck between the 100th BBC special and the forthcoming 60th of the show, but I'm intrigued to see what the 15th Doctor is going to be like.

All we've had is him standing in a green screen land (twice) and the promo photo. So long as RTD doesn't just write him as the 10th Doctor....but again.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I'm not really a fan of Tate's comedy (I found her sketch show to be really unfunny), but she did have some good moments, and it was a dynamic the show needed at that point, even if I wasn't that found of the pairing. I did listen to the first box set of The Tenth Doctor Adventures when they were on the radio earlier in the year, and she was so much better when she didn't have a camera to mug to, and could just, well, act.

RTD did tend to have the Tenth Doctor become way too overpowered, so those bits where he was a bit more vulnerable were refreshing. I'm not a fan of 10 acting like regeneration is an actual death of the self, and not that he's going to change, but there's a reason the freakout at the end of Waters of Mars is a great moment.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Doctor Who becoming a big Disney brand seems not very Doctor Who-ish. It's a strange little BBC cult family TV show with a strong sense of identity. Doctor Who should look a bit cheap and rubbish, that's part of the charm.

While I'm excited for Ncuti Gatwa, I'm not really excited for RTD to return, because frankly, the Moffat era was simply better. Maybe putting it all on one showrunner is a bad idea, and it's better to return to the script editor/head writer format.

Giving one person too much creative freedom is how we get the stuff the franchise doesn't need, like The Timeless Children, or the 'Time Lords are in eternal fighting with ancient hyper intelligent mammoths that existed before the universe' or 'half human on my mother's side' kind of ideas.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 6, 2023

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

What’s this about mammoths

In Lawrence Miles and Lance Parkin's interpretation of Doctor Who lore, before the Time Lords established the web of time, they were in conflict with the Original Mammoths, who were a race of interdimensional mammoths who had great cities carved into their tusks. They survived through human's race memory of Earth Mammoths, and one was reborn and captured in the court of George III, managed to anchor itself in the version of reality where the Eighth Doctor cut out his second heart and then the Mammoth became an aspect of The Enemy, the abstract concept that the Time Lords fought in the War in Heaven timeline.

It's....a lot.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

Uhhh I don't think this is quite true tbh.

My understanding is that Miles just wrote a deliberately bizarre couple of lines about Mammoths in a book back in the 90s, and occasionally had mammoths turn up as a symbol of the universe's dimming irrationality in other works since. There really wasn't any lore to it.

Then some dude wrote a bunch of lore about them about four years ago and had them published in some fan anthologies which Miles doesn't really get involved with -- to say less of Parkin.

Current generation Faction Paradox stuff is made by second generation fans, and some of them can get really high on how loopy and weird the series supposedly is, and write accordingly. The original material was not that weird, where as this current stuff is kinda hacky ngl.

Oh OK, I stand corrected. The Eighth Doctor books got insane enough as they were anyway.
I find it amusing that there's basically an entire bootleg Doctor Who setting based on concepts from books that haven't been in print for over twenty years.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

McGann posted:

Those appear to be two separate stories - and 8th Doctor set and a River song set - unless I'm missing something glaringly obvious in the descriptions (caffeine still incoming, so distinctly possible).

But he'll still have to get amnesia since he meets her right before regen...So basically this, still, somehow.

Eight isn't meeting River Song, there's a River Song boxset (which seems to be an original story with no returning elements, interesting!), and the fifth volume of the Eighth Doctor: Time War. Two different releases.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Had a listen to a companion chronicle just, The Scorchies. This is a range that can be really experimental, but The Scorchies is really, really out there. Jo Grant gets abducted by a race of aliens who travel the galaxy through television signals, wiping out planets, appearing as puppets putting on a light entertainment show.

Obviously, it's a riff on The Muppets, but they don't go too on the nose with the parallels, instead going for the general feel of 70s Saturday variety shows. And it's a musical! It's so utterly strange that it demands your attention. It doesn't feel that much like 70s Who, but I don't think this could be done back then. And Katy Manning throws herself into it wonderfully.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

That's what I'm hoping RTD doesn't revisit, the melodrama, companion swooning over the Doctor, and the Doctor being written as the most important person ever, with lots of deus ex machina resolutions.

That's why Waters of Mars works so well, it holds the Doctor accountable. Moffat did the same thing really well.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Moffat's run has a lot more of the "the Doctor is the most important person ever" than RTD's run did

I'd say they downplayed it a lot, with the Doctor trying to cover his tracks as much as possible due to his guilt over the silence blowing up the universe, and 12 had a lot more self doubt.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

The BBC Eighth Doctor novels are insane.

Luckily Night of the Doctor confirmed Big Finish is the true Eighth Doctor TV canon. :colbert:

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Sam feels like a "hello fellow young people" attempt at creating a hip 90s character. The problem with the EDAs is after they abruptly cut off the Faction Paradox stuff, the amnesia stuff dragged on, and on and on, the stories got even more convoluted (the Council of Eight is baffling). It feels like there's large chunks of story that Lance Parkin kept to himself for whatever reason (man is a great writer, but he has a very unique take on the Doctor Who universe).

The Big Finish stuff benefited from not only having McGann there to perform and shape the character, but having clearly structured arcs and stories. I mean, there's missteps like C'Rizz,

The EDAs are basically impossible to reconcile with TV and Big Finish canon, and reflect a very different version of the Doctor Who universe. I really should track down the two I'm missing, so I finally have a finished set. I spent a lot of time in second hand book shops back in the day looking for them.

They also end really anti-climatically, with several plot points unresolved.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Big Finish did a few shorts with Eric Roberts as The Master on Youtube, and those worked, because Eric Roberts can basically sell anything, no matter how silly. Or that little live action short they did with Lisa Bowerman as Bernice Summerfield.

They felt like they were at least taking them seriously. This doesn't work, and has written off what sounded like an interesting project from the press release. Oh well, at least Once and Future will hopefully be better.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Despite its flaws, Time Lord Victorious actually told a story that people are interested in. The execution was patchy, but it had multiple Doctors, Daleks, did some interesting lore stuff, and experimented with an interlocking story.

The actress seems to have been directed to play her performance as too...kiddy? It feels like a bumper for an special on CBBC or something, not the start of a crossover event.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 20, 2023

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Coward posted:

Is Last Christmas a classic Base Under Siege story? Discuss.

Very self consciously so, yes.

Considering that The Master killed the Time Lords off screen somehow, and the Daleks are apparently doing OK, there's a good argument that the Doctor did lose the Last Great Time War. And there's the mass destruction of the Flux, which would have been nice to see the Doctor have some self doubt or vulnerability about it, instead of moping about the fob watch.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Just listened to Cry of the Vultriss. The Constance/Flip pairing is an interesting one, because the two characters contrast and complement each other so well (and it goes without saying, Colin Baker is always great on audio).

The story starts out with a recap from the previous story, Static, with Constance dealing with being in a duplicate copy of her original body. Sadly, the story then doesn't explore the existential or emotional fallout of this, and instead swiftly moves on to be a political thriller about the Ice Warriors making first contact with a new species. I always prefer the depiction Ice Warriors as a largely peaceful, stern but fair race, it gives them a lot more depth than some Doctor Who races, even if 'rouge faction wants to go back to being conquerors' plot is a little overdone. Thankfully, the actors don't overplay the hissing 'ssss' noises, which can make some Ice Warrior stories hard to listen to.

Hopefully we can get some new Constance and Flip stories in the near future, they're a great companion pair.

Also listened to two short trips!

I am the Master is an interesting one, with the Decayed Master monologuing from a recording booth about a scheme to cause environmental collapse on an alien world. As well as performing, Geoffrey Beevers also wrote this one, and you can tell he's relishing it. It's more like a Companion Chronicle than a Short Trip, and it fits the Decayed Master, probably the most verbally complex of the incarnations, really well.

A Heart on Both Sides is a short story about The Eighth Doctor reuniting with Nyssa in the opening of the Time War. It deals with medical ethics and conflict in an interesting way. I could see this being a full cast episode in one of the Eighth Doctor: Time War boxsets, it's a very well structured story, and an interesting character bit for Nyssa.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 16, 2023

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Fifteen is so stylish, I think he could even make Six's coat look good.

Random Stranger posted:

If you haven't heard it, Static is really good. It reminds me a lot of the best of the revival series.

Yep, Static is very good. It's just a shame that the emotional fallout on Constance is underplayed. There's a missed opportunity for a character moment, with the Doctor reassuring her that if you've the same mind, it doesn't matter if your body changes, comparing it to regeneration.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

When Peter Davison was filming Time Crash, the BBC dug out one of his old outfits to wear, rather than having a replica made. It turns out the trousers were larger than they were supposed to be, because they'd picked the pair that were altered to fit Colin Baker in the post regeneration scenes.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Another audio - We Are the Daleks! - this one has interesting ideas, but is ultimately a little bland. I've never actually seen any of the 7/Mel TV stories, but I know they're not well regarded. Big Finish has been good to Mel as a character, actually using her background as a computer genius for plot relevant things, and playing more into Bonnie Langford's strengths as an actress.

The plot is a satire on 1980s Thatcher-era capitalism, with the Daleks trying to invade by convincing London investors to ally with them through market deregulation. The satire feels like it doesn't go far enough - there's a few tweaks on the nose of the mores of the late 80s investing classes, but it doesn't feel like its like cutting or ruthless enough. And yes, they do the 'the video game is really controlling alien spaceships!!!' cliche, but at least they don't dwell on it too much, and it has some fun little links to the 12th Doctor Dalek stories. Oh, and Daleks saying non-Dalek things is still funny in small doses.

Nothing amazing, but for a fun, slightly throwaway Sylvester McCoy Dalek story, its fine. It just feels like it could have been a much sharper satire.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 2, 2023

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I'm really hoping Fourteen ends up different to Ten, or there's a proper narrative reason baked in that impacts the story, otherwise it'll feel like a gimmick.

Charley really needs a reunion with Eight and a proper ending to her story. They had India Fisher record a boxset last year, but it was stories set earlier in her timeline, rather than Charlotte Pollard season 3.

In terms of unresolved Six arcs, there's also what happens to the older Peri, and also Constance and Flip (given Lisa Greenwood's health issues, that's understandable).

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I decided to listen to The Legacy of Time, the Big Finish 20th anniversary boxset. Unlike the 50th anniversary special, which told a standard multi-Doctor story, but with some nifty pacing, this is six episodes about different Doctors linked by the theme of time distortion, with a big crossover climax.

Lies in Ruins is something that seems obvious - River Song meeting Bernice Summerfield, and it works! We've got the Eighth Doctor very near the end of his incarnation, on the verge of a complete mental breakdown. It's not like the manic depression from the opening of Dark Eyes, but the some of the lowest we've seen the Eighth Doctor - there's a bit where he just breaks down sobbing. There's also a clever bit of meta self commentary about companions too.

The Split Infinitive is a nicely clever bit of time travel, with the Seventh Doctor and Ace helping Counter Measures foil a rocket men heist in the 1960s and 1970s. I've not heard any of the Countermeasures stuff, so I was going off my memories of rewatching Remembrance of the Daleks last year. The Rocket Men are always good fun - cockney gangsters with jet packs!

The Sacrifice of Jo Grant sees Kate Stewart, Osgood and Jo Grant accidentally sent back to the time of the Third Doctor's exile. It's a great character piece for Jo, with a standout scene of Jo and the Third Doctor just sharing lunch and talking about her life. Katy Manning is always great, but she's on top form here.

Relative Time is a Fifth Doctor and Jenny story, set on a crashing spaceship. It doesn't really dig deeply enough into the emotional impact this pairing could have. The weakest story on the set, but its got the Nine.

The Avenues of Possibility is a Sixth Doctor and Charley story about policing and alternative timelines. Another very solid story with some clever uses of possible futures, and Colin Baker and India Fisher are always excellent together.

Collision Course ties it all up in a Fourth Doctor story that becomes a multi-Doctor story. It does end up becoming a bit 'characters shout technobabble', but every Doctor gets a fun moment or two.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jun 18, 2023

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I thought the Second Doctor got the short end of the stick in the Legacy of Time, especially compared to the two other cameos in the last story.

Open Source Idiom posted:

That terraforming device? Uluru

If you're able to understand what on Earth was going on in Dreamtime, you've done better than me.

A Thousand Tiny Wings is a good story about colonialism and race.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Davros1 posted:

Listened to Master!: Nemesis Express, and this was all kinds of messed up:

The Master revealed that the consciousness of the person whose body he's in (aka Bruce the Paramedic), still inhabits the body. The Master has just suppressed him to the depths of his mind. And he's continually screaming in horror.

The entire body hopping era of the Master is pure body horror, with him stealing bodies, only for them to always return to the decayed one sooner or later (Tremas and Bruce being the ones he managed to keep for the longest).

And You Will Obey Me is especially creepy in this regard.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Dreamtime also had a big narrative issue - it's Hex's first TARDIS trip, and a companion's reaction to it sets up a lot of their character development. It's incoherent as to what is going on and Hex ends up having very little to actually do.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I had a listen to two stories that were remakes/adaptation of Audio Visual stories. I've not listened to the originals.

Cuddlesome was about an invasion by toys from a short lived 80s fad. It felt very nu-who with the pacing, and its always interesting to hear the Fifth Doctor solo every now again, without any companions.

Last of the Titans is a fairly simple story - the Seventh Doctor lands on a derelict space ship piloted by a cloned caveman, and has to make a moral choice. The Devon accents are a bit hit or miss, but Sylvester McCoy plays it as the older, more melancholy version of the character, and the mix of narration and acting goes well.

For free short stories, they were pretty well done.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

The sonic is really best used when the Doctor needs some info to move the plot along.

This month, City of Spires is discounted on the Big Finish website, so I grabbed it.

It's an interesting premise: The Sixth Doctor meets an older version of Jamie who doesn't remember the events of The Highlanders, and stumble onto a plan to steal Scotland's oil several hundred years earlier, and a strange, futuristic city in Scotland. Frazer Hines and Colin Baker bounce off each other very well, and Hines slips into an older version of the character very well. Georgia Moffat shows up in a non-Jenny role and does a good job. You also get to hear Baker do a 'bad-on-purpose' accent as the Doctor tries to bluff a redcoat, which is always fun.

This is the start of a trilogy, and I do already know the twist, so you can see it being set up here. Plus I got to learn a little more about a part of British history that I didn't know too much about.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

I actually just listened to this one not so long ago! Jamie being in it rules of course, but the story was kind of weird in how a lot of stuff in it seemed to go nowhere and the resolution was just kinda.... not really there?

It's a trilogy of stories, so the plot points carry over into the next two.

The twist is, that the Doctor is actually in The Land of Fiction again, and this isn't Jamie, but a construct based on him.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I decided to finally dip into the Six/Charley run.

Starting with The Girl Who Never Was, which sees some wonderful interaction between India Fisher and Paul McGann, but separates them for a bit too much of the story. A ghost ship is always a atmospheric setting, but strangely, the monster is treated as a cliffhanger reveal, despite being on the front cover. It's a wonderfully bittersweet story, with a surprisingly downbeat ending, with what would have been (for the time) an outrageous twist. We're still waiting on that Eight/Charley reunion, and it feels like Charley's arc needs it to complete.

In the extras, Paul McGann gives a surprisingly detailed oral history of Alien 3 in the extras. Most of the retellings of the film's production focus on the directing and the script aspects, so to hear an actor's take on it.

Then we're onto The Condemned, where Charley causes yet more time paradoxes by meeting....the Sixth Doctor. The first scene, of Charley trying to bluff her way through a suspicious Doctor is interesting - Colin Baker seems to revert to the original abrasive Sixth Doctor style, before softening up again. The story captures the feel of the BBC police shows of the time, but it would have been nice for Six and Charley to have more scenes together in their own meeting story.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Short trip time! These Stolen Hours is a Charley Pollard story, with an interestingly bittersweet tone. Narrated by a post-Doctor version of the character (her monologue about how she can't even remember her age anymore due to excessive time travel and time in stasis is a real downer opening), most of the narrative is a Sixth Doctor/Charley story.

This story really gets into the emotional weight and moral ambiguity of Charley's decision in The Condemned. She's seen first hand the dangers of paradoxes, so her choice to lie to the Sixth Doctor, rather than asking him for help and for him to wipe his memory after could be seen as wildly irresponsible. However, it never makes Charley less likable - this story discusses how she rationalises her desire for more adventures, with the guilt of knowing she has to resolve the paradox eventually, excellently.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Rosa was disappointing because Malorie Blackman writing Doctor Who should have been great, but it was so clunky and mawkish. If they wanted to do a racism episode, it should have been the Bristol Bus Boycott, an important part of modern British history that doesn't get talked about.

Whittaker's run is so frustrating, because you can tell she's giving it her all, but the writing is tying one hand behind her back. I don't think we ever really see her show disgust, or the odd ruthless action, which is an important emotion for the character. The only one I can think of is when she snaps at Yaz for being too over familiar and asking about the Time Lords and the Doctor's history.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I haven't seen Warriors of the Deep yet, but from what I've heard, it could have been improved by:

1. Letting the monster costume dry after painting.
2. Turning the lights down so the set looks grim and industrial like the writer intended, not brightly lit.
3. Not letting Ingrid Pitt use karate on the Myrka.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Honestly, the onset politics of classic Doctor Who are fascinating, mostly because the actors who played the Doctors were often complex people and had complicated relationships with their co-stars. It's quite an intense role, after all. Like how Maureen O'Brien looks back very fondly on her relationship with Hartnell, whereas Anneke Wills had a more distant one with him.

It seems like Tom Baker used the role as a coping mechanism for his own issues, and that either ended up with him being great onset, or really hard to work with (Louise Jameson famously had to give him a verbal dressing down on the set of the Horror of Fang Rock after he'd spent the first few weeks onset being rude to her - apparently they get on really well now). It seems like he's much happier after the 90s now.

Apparently on the set of The Carnival of Monsters, Jon Pertwee misunderstood and thought they were filming on a ship that was going to be scrapped, and took the ship's compass as a souvenir. Turns out it wasn't and he had to quickly return it.

Anyway, another audio! We continue the Six/Charley run with The Doomwood Curse, a fun little tale about a run in with Dick Turpin. Charley dips back into her more naive, bookish side in a natural way without feeling like her character development is being undone. India Fisher gets to put on some very over the top West Country accents (for some reason, Charley is a brunette on the cover. No idea why). Also there's a pre-MCU Hayley Atwell in a supporting role. It's a fun send up of early novels and the related tropes.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 3, 2023

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Next one, Brotherhood of the Daleks is ambitious, but messy. The Doctor and Charley stumble on a Thal experiment to try and develop a hallucinatory weapon against the Daleks - there's some interesting ideas with the blurring of the lines between Thal and Dalek, but it collapses under its own complexity. The gimmick of the story - Daleks brainwashed into a bizarre form of Marxism comes in too late and isn't foreshadowed enough to be really effective. And the Doctor just....leaves at the end, and its five parts for some reason, rather than four. However, the Baker/Fisher dynamic continues to shine, which is impressive, considering that they both admit in the extras that they didn't fully understand the story!

In the end, Shadow of the Daleks does it better.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

That makes sense.

Decided to squeeze another audio in, The Raincloud Man. DCI Menzies returns from The Condemned, and again is a wonderful supporting character. However, the first two episodes of this one otherwise feel a little aimless, but the final two episodes really pick up the pace, and there's a great sense of tension as The Doctor and Charley face an alien casino. And the idea of an artificial race that only exist to prevent aggressive actions of one species is fascinating. Uneven, but with a strong second half.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Patient Zero - the Charley and Six story line starts to come to a head, as the two end up being trapped on a space station full of viruses that the daleks decide they want. It's the first appearance of the Dalek Time Controller, but he's not as fleshed out as his later appearances - they don't give you enough context about the character about what makes him special just yet.

Colin Baker gets to have some intense moments, and there's some fun twists on the 'daleks put a base under siege' formula. Charley's repeated annoying of the TARDIS finally catches up with her, as she gets attacked by Mila, an intangible and invisible woman who has been trapped on the TARDIS for a very long time, who decides that she wants to become a proper companion...by becoming Charley. Mila is interesting, the right mix between unsettling and tragic.