Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

LividLiquid posted:

Agreed, but given what the British press is doing to trans people right now I'm honestly really thankful Rusty sidestepped it.

Have to agree here. I did wonder myself if it wasn't an attempt to drive more 10 nostalgia, but reading RTD's explanation - yep, absolutely pro move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGann
May 19, 2003

Khanstant posted:

I want some episodes where they fart around history

The return of the Slitheen confirmed as season villain arc

McGann
May 19, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Timelash is a classic though

Tbf classic doesn't designate quality, so true.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

I actually dig Robot insomuch as it feels like a completely typical Jon Pertwee story... that happens to be starring Tom Baker! I don't know if that was intentional or not, but it's almost fitting in showcasing just how much the Doctor has changed while retaining enough familiar elements to allow an easing through from one era to the next.

It's this for me as well. Robot feels like 3 should be running around, but they just plugged in Tom Baker as he tries to find his character voice (and gets it amazingly quickly, all things said - by the time he's in the costume, he's The Fourth Doctor).

Just a "fun" story overall IMO, though yes the special effects when trying to upsize the Robot are laughable

McGann
May 19, 2003

CommonShore posted:

In the audios too he insists that he not be called "The Doctor."

Which gets to be ridiculous within the first episode, but they did what they could with that bit I imagine.

McGann
May 19, 2003

I will give Disney carte blanche to do whatever they want as long as I can get this shirt I've had for
(edit oh god im old) 15+ years canonized

Edit: Weird, art is flipped on my shirt vs the image. Whatever, it still rules and it's the best thing to come out of a 6 month relationship. She was great but that shirt was greater.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Emerson Cod posted:

I'm asking for people to recognize that the world is bigger than they thought, not so small that something so wondrous couldn't possibly exist.

Oh, hey - you're back. Really, all I'm curious to know is this: How come nobody showed up to Hawkings time travel party? You'd think one would show up at least for the booze.

Edit: Uh oh I'm staring into the abyss aren't I

McGann
May 19, 2003

Confusedslight posted:

Wonder how he'll get amnesia to forget about River Song this time!

Those appear to be two separate stories - and 8th Doctor set and a River song set - unless I'm missing something glaringly obvious in the descriptions (caffeine still incoming, so distinctly possible).

But he'll still have to get amnesia since he meets her right before regen...So basically this, still, somehow.

McGann
May 19, 2003

AndyElusive posted:

If anyone has a smart tv and can download the streaming service called Pluto TV, there's an entire channel that only ever plays classic Doctor Who 24/7. It's pretty cool.

I forgot about this - it is indeed pretty awesome. Pluto isn't nearly as bad with commercial breaks as some of other "free" services. There is also a Rifftrax and a classic MST3K channel - I know there's a lot of overlap with posters in those threads/Who so might be of use to some.

AndyElusive posted:

Aikido is such bullshit. Should have schooled himself in Neptunian Bartitsu instead.

Thank you, I love seeing Baritsu referenced in modern day and it would make far more sense for the Doctor (from a meta standpoint at least) learning some variation of it rather than Aikido.

I'm sure there are some practical applications for Aikido out there, but learning to fight with a combat cane seems way more up their alley.

Edit:

Voyage to Venus is a great story - It's a Big Finish outing with 6, Jago and Litefoot.

McGann fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 20, 2023

McGann
May 19, 2003

Infinitum posted:

How much say did Colin have in choosing his costume back in the day?

Was LSD involved?

I believe the anecdote is that he had more of a 9th doctor look in mind, leather jacket, but that might be something that developed in his mind after the fact.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Also, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIdDXQ2h1Pc

McGann
May 19, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

I listed to UNIT: Dominion today and even though I knew the twist going it, that was still a great series. Epic in a way that Big Finish often tries for and fails to pull off. I think it helps that while there is a twist, the story doesn't rely on it and instead keeps telling you and the characters that something is seriously wrong with the situation so the story is more about what are they going to do about it instead of trying to misdirect listeners.

Absolutely yes, I will never miss an opportunity to shout this story's fun from the rooftops. It's a regular re-listen for me, because as you said even after the plot is spoiled, it's still a blast and sounds like everyone is having fun recording it.

To me, that's peak Big Finish along with Chimes, Spare Parts, Jubilee, etc.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This isn’t the first time DW has spawned a cheap mobile game. I vaguely recall playing some color-match thing where you collected Doctors and Companions around the time of Smith’s second or third season.

This one was actually pretty fun and a good time killer, and not pay to win in any way. Sure, it was just a color match game with Doctor Who set dressing, but it had lore, music and sound effects.

This new thing, I dunno. I'll check it out but hopes aren't high for anything fun.

McGann
May 19, 2003

I watched a bit of it today (Thanks VPN) and Tennant was a blast as always. I didn't see much DW related stuff but I tuned in late and out early.

They did do a skit with Ewan reprising Obi Wan among a bunch of other famous Brit stars and it was fantastic, though. And I learned Mrs Doubtfire has a musical!

McGann
May 19, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

The Doctor appearing in Loki S2 is about to leak out I guess.

Unfortunately, if rumors are to be believed today, Loki just got canned.

Genius move if true.

Also, this seems like Big Finish trying to do some of the promo material BBC did for the series releases (that thing with Peri from a bit back etc) but while BBC could barely pull off making it look decent (IMO) there's no way BF can attempt to mimic that, not without a lot more practice. Just not their wheelhouse. Stick to the audio-only trailers with some maybe animated still shots, that's where their strengths lie IMO

McGann
May 19, 2003

TinTower posted:

Eh, canning completed projects is more of a WB thing than a Mouse thing.

Given how essential Loki is to the current big story arc of the films, they’re probably doing a bunch of rescheduling than outright cancellation.

Yep you're right - I just skimmed an article on my way out the door, so hadn't even read it. Yknow, like a good rumor spreading internet denizen.

I totally forgot there was a tie in to the after credits thing, because I walked out before it played and forgot to google what it was.

And my bad, I thought this was a BF sponsored deal. Well in that case, it is even worse - they CAN do better. If his goal is to pull in former viewers, OK -but this type of deal is not going to help new viewers one bit, which seems a bad call IMO.

Jerusalem posted:

I was gonna say that Doctor Who/Eastenders crossover, but only because Nekromanteia is so bad that my mind usually forms a scab around the memory of its existence in order to protect me, and you just ripped that off :gonk:

This the one with the nausea-inducing camera spinning?

McGann
May 19, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Nekromanteia is just nasty.

My bad! I *was* referring to the anniversary special with Eastenders - Dimensions in Time. But I am very familiar with Nekromanteia...but not familiar enough to have completely mixed up the author in my head. I'd been lodging it in with David Llewellyn in my memory, but google tells me it's Austin Atkinson. ***FIXED, Only Austin Atkinson sucks.

Edit: Turns out, my memory had incorrectly pegged Llewellyn for Atkinsons crimes.

Autisanal Cheese posted:

Can you explain why Black and White is bad? I don’t think I’ve caught up that far but I dimly remember it on my list. Actually when I first read it I thought you meant Flip-Flop, which is also loving heinous.

Oh wow, I also immediately thought Black and White = Flip Flop until seeing your reply. The one thing I remember the most about Flip Flop (Not touching the themes, just Audio) is how disgusting it sounded...at least I think that's the one. The effects were deliberately "gross."

Edit: Speaking of "Gross" - Exile. I haven't listened to it in years (for obvious reasons) but I don't recall if its misogynistic in context or just directly screams it out in the dialogue. I think the "old regen" voice in the head might be this though. All I remember is the burping.

McGann fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 22, 2023

McGann
May 19, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

What did David Llewellyn do? I remember most of his scripts being basically fine or good.

You know what, I just did a quick audit of his BF page and you're right - he has some bangers and personal faves of mine, nothing standing out as terrible. I had not only mistakenly had him in place of Atkinson in my memory, but I'd also attributed a lot of horrible works to him that don't even exist.

I smoke a lot of weed and have a few TBIs, that's my excuse.

McGann
May 19, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

Your username comes with amnesia it's fine.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Khanstant posted:

Do Timelords only regenerate into different looking Timelords or is Mickey potentially a regeneration?

How do you decide if you post will be insightful, random or just.. Kinda weird and confusing?

(missing the obvious joke is quite possible, but I only come up with weird race related things and THAT can't be right in this thread can it? I.. Doubt it. My brain MUST be the broken one here, please!)

what did I miss??? Your other posts are funny. This one weirds me out.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Annabel Pee posted:

Its a pretty funny misunderstanding that the Mickey Mouse post led McGann to think Khanstant was wondering if Ncuti Gatwa's doctor would be allowed to regenerate into Noel Clarke or not, because regenerations usually look different from each other and they don't.

Funny, embarrassing, but also I had just come from the FREEPers thread, so I was in a certain headspace. One I'm glad I do not live in constantly.

Khanstant posted:

It took me several rereads of their post to understand what they were asking me or confused about, then a brief moment of horror when I realized, then relief when others explained my stupid mouse joke AND answered the query. I like this thread and Doctor Who.

Yes, very much my brain not firing on all cylinders and filling in the blanks on its own. Apologies! I rather enjoy your random rear end questions myself.

Carry on crew, as I said I knew I had to be misreading that and that I was, in fact, the weirdo here.

Onto Big Finish chat - the Once and Future series continues chugging along, this time with the 10th Doctor returning to a War of the Worlds homage. I'm a huge fan of this story based on the original work as well, and thought it did a decent job working it into its own story. It didn't really...go anywhere, in my opinion, but it's a 60th anniversary story so I can give them some leeway just to get regenerations interacting with one another.

Missy: Doctor you have been ...naive mwahahahaha will never get old to me now.

edit:

Confusedslight posted:

Glad to hear! I haven't been keeping up with the ninth doctor audios. Are they worth picking up?

Yes, very much so. Thanks for reminding me I need to resume my listen, I stopped halfway through Series 3 E2 Northern Lights. Which I now have to restart because I'd forgotten I was mid-listen and moved on to another audio, as evidenced by my above mention of Once and Future. Really tempted to skip to The Butler Did It (ep 4) but I'll probably get there today if work is slow.

McGann fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 14, 2023

McGann
May 19, 2003

Random 8th Doctor aside, sorta. A streamer I watch periodically put up a new release, and it was an FMV game called "Mia and the Dragon Princess." Based on the thumbnail, my mind thought "Hey, who is this second rate Paul McGann look-alike?"...well, as I got further in, realized the game is set in London...and it wasn't a look-alike, our boy McGann plays a real villainous piece of poo poo (Ok I'm only half through the story, he may have reasons).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZBwZByw7vU (he shows up maybe 1/3rd in?).

I did not even realize FMV games were still around, let alone with a budget...but it also could have all been filmed in one day most likely, so I have no idea if he's slumming, pulling a favor, or just having fun with the novelty.
Spoilers in that link for the game, obviously.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Davros1 posted:

The Ninth Doctor audio "The Butler Did It" is soooo much fun

I will second this - but I also enjoyed "Run" from that series. Actually, the whole series is great. He seems to be having such fun in the role again and I am all here for it.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Well, gave Dog Hop a listen from the BF Torchwood range. Andy audio, so it was an easy sale.

I enjoyed it, mostly because I enjoy the character, but ... Is it a two parter? Or was that just...the ending? . Limited spoiler there, but here's a real one for anyone who knows or doesn't care (ending spoiler here) It ends with Andy realizing the entire dog/human mind swap thing is really happening and it was done by the evil Yoga studio next door. That can't be it, can it? But also, why no mention of part II? .

Ok, done. Needed to vent that somewhere and this was a better option than the street corner.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Davros1 posted:

The new Fifth Doctor story, "Pursuit of the Nightjar" was really beautiful. It might be one of Davison's best performances.

Oh yes! I had forgotten about this one, but listened a bit ago and can't agree more. It's a beautiful little story with a nice timey wimey ending and everyone who loves the fifth doctor should give it a go.

Also, presented without comment

McGann
May 19, 2003

Man, remembering how much I enooy Narvin as a character really saddens me that the Gallifrey series got kinda.. Depressing as they moved into the time war. Enough that I bounced and haven't been back since Rassilon was resurrected.

No, not spoilering that since it's obviously something that would happen.

Anyone want to reassure me it remains somewhat fun like the old universe hopping Gallifrey series? Or more grim (Ala the Doctor of War AU stuff, which admittedly confused the hell out of me and I may not have understood.. But felt grim)?

Hows the Rose Tyler series btw? It seems to be up to series three now. Jenny was surprisingly good, as was the Charley series, so I'm now curious.

One series I haven't see mentioned much is their new UNIT series with brigadier Bamberra - it's a blast, really reminds me of the OG Unit stories back before Tennant was more than a higher ranking UNIT officer (symphony for the devil, the UNIT series, etc).

I can even overlook some of the silly stereotypical French writing they give the French character, it just feels fun rather than dumb.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

I love the reality bomb just for the matter of fact way Davros drops that line "Why the reality bomb, of course" as if it is the most natural thing in the world to have developed something like this and he's surprised the Doctor wasn't already thinking along the same lines.

This. I'm certain you've said this thing previously, or it's just so perfect I'm imagining someone did. This is the Davros perfectly encapsulated in the Baker /Malloy Davros ep (the one where 6 and Davros work together for a company).

He really thinks The Doctor and are on the same wave length, and it shows how they're both cut of the same genius - but circumstance led them down different paths.

Love Malloy so much in BF.

No. It stays grim, though since Scott Handcock left it's also turned weirdly fashy in the way a lot of BF Time War stuff has turned. e.g. Leela working for genocidal vivisectionist slavers.

Thanks for the heads up on the Time War series - too bad they're doing that fash theme, though I understand it from a story (well, except the character assassinations involved - Leela may have agreed to do that earlier in gallifrey but not after all those series of character development and growth).

I just don't want to have to hear fashy poo poo in my escapists audio, unless they're getting mercilessly ridiculed - I have to deal with enough fash in my daily life now, I don't need it in my chosen entertainment.

Anybody keeping track of the Doom stuff? I see BF has released a set, but nobody I know has pulled the trigger. Is it just a more confusing Time Lord Victorious thing, or worth checking out?

McGann
May 19, 2003

Davros1 posted:

The Unbound Doctor did this to the Unbound Master

Haha yes that is one of the best gently caress you/compassionate still moves ever. Since they mention the code or whatever it was had a positive effect on the mind .

Just a good series overall. I still need to listen to the last one in the series, but have bounced off it due to the setting(see my avoidance of fashy stuff from re gallifrey time war) .

McGann
May 19, 2003

Oh poo poo, Murray Melvin AND Derek Jacobi? Shame we lost John Hurt - throw him in, add some Beevers Master and we've got the smoothest sounding audio ever created.

I'll buy it even if Melvin and Jacobi just take turns reading the phone book. They're both old enough, they probably have phone books around aomehwee, to boot 😅

That's a character I never see mentioned but he's one of my favorites to pick up from the Torchwood range - Melvin's Bilis i mean. I'm curious how much he'll factor in, given his passing in April.

McGann fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Sep 27, 2023

McGann
May 19, 2003

Dabir posted:

What, like some sort of child

Yeah, this particularly makes the messaging scary. Really try to memory hole that one.

I'm almost done with the last Warner box set. I had put it off a long while due to it being set in early Nazi Germany but it's not nearly as dark as I expected. Especially given it's set in Nazi Germany and is a Cyberman story they could have gone a lot worse.

It's.. interesting. And the logic of the story makes sense, but I can't lie that it made me a bit uneasy. Curious how they're going to stick the landing, there are a few things I can think of that would be absolutely tone-death and terrible so hopefully it's avoided...

McGann
May 19, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

I discovered, and turned to, Doctor Who, the week my father got his death sentence from cancer, and I watched this every night for months along with Day of the Doctor.

This video saved my life. We're almost back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrSaTHsHNsc

This is such a classic.

While watching that, I decided I needed to see what Babelcolour was up to. Looks like this is his latest project
https://youtu.be/EVW7y6NkVok?si=dbJhpsVw9QurZuQP

Obviously just a trailer and it uses some clips from their previous fan film project, none of these are objectively good in my opinion but they are interesting to see what they've attempted.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Big Finish Chat

The most recent Once and Future released, which has Chris meeting up with David Warner in what I must assume I is his final appearance. I say I must assume it as I have just also listened to his latest in the Benny line, where he was sounding somewhat old and tired...but here, here he sounds absolutely rough. Not necessarily *bad* unless you're familiar with his cadence and patterns. In the beginning, I actually thought it was a brief Tom Baker cameo due to the absolutely different sound coming from Warner.

The story itself is kinda pointless, this one particularly felt so - though the entire series has been an excuse to fanservice for the 60th and get as many people meeting as possible (and I appreciate the inclusion of Warner's Alt Dr, as that series if a FAVE of mine) it is either extra obvious here or beginning to grate on me.

Still, its a brisk listen and would recommend it as the actors carry it regardless of feelings on plot.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Anyone who's thinking about picking up the Chria Eccelston meets David Warner Doctor Who play that just came out should change their minds. It's loving horrible.

"We're in the nose of a temporal tornado and it's about to blow."

Lmao. This line caught my mind as making no sense at the time but I misheard it and missed the nose part. I just thought the ninth doctor didn't understand weather.

It is, indeed, a bad story. Having thought about it some, it was mentioned that this is a weird 60th adventure story due to the lack of original cast. It struck me this is more a big finish anniversary story than anything else.

If you like a lot of their original characters and want to see them interacting with the doctor, it's worth a listen but I'd wait for it to be on sale.

I gave it a second listen and the story is absolutely an attempt at a big lore piece that falls flat. It tries so hard to mimic other time lord lore stories but do we really need another reason The Doctor is a unique snowflake (and specifically the big finish characters all factor in specifically into this lore somehow)?

If they were going for big finish OG characters I would have rather seen the alternate master, I want to see how he's handling the apocalypse codes or whatever. The lumiat is fun but they kinda already did that with Eight (of the thirteen).

Edit thinking about it more, I understand why they use the Lumiat since she is from the Missy range, and has way more current appearances (and a more available actor) than the alternate master.

One more edit, the more I think about it the more annoying it is that this is going to be Warner's last performance. If you want to remember him with a better audio, go listen to Truant - my absolute favorite warner Doctor audio.

I should give his shilling and sixpence audios a listen sometime. Anyone heard good or bad?

McGann fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Oct 10, 2023

McGann
May 19, 2003

I know it's been said and this is certainly not the worst example but would someone please hire one of the old Photoshop Friday contributors to do the covers instead of whoever they have currently?

I'm sure to some extent it's down to having a limited number of photographs to use but it is so bad in the last few years, I'm embarrassed when people see them 😂

McGann
May 19, 2003

Khanstant posted:

Randomly clicked around one of these and found a "scene" of you wandering around naked with your dick out literally farting and rambling nonsense in front of a hotel TV and this bit encapsulates the whole project.

Aww, by the time I accessed it all it had was a bunch of PDFs of vaguely conspiracy related info. Like the Business plot involving Smedley Butler.

But no people rambling nonsense with their dick hanging out, I am very disappointed that I got put on an FBI watch list and didn't even get to see that.

It was about time they reappeared in this thread - I have actually read through most of their posting from various threads (Because it showed up in another I am active in as well) and...yea, this reeks of mental illness. Though at first I was thinking troll, it's too drat consistent.

And there I was, excited that some new Who news had broken (21 new posts!).

McGann
May 19, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

Not gonna' lie, I'm a little disappointed in how some folks are treating somebody who's obviously in dire need of psychiatric help.

They're clearly disabled and suffering. That doesn't mean they should get to post their screeds during an episode, or that they shouldn't have been banned, because clearly this place isn't helping them, but maybe we could all be a little more sensitive about it.

Unfortunately, I feel there's very little one can do when they have already been approached directly about seeking help and continue to post randomly, for at least a year now(I'm guessing, phone posting, just remembering).

If I'm missing something here we could've done as a community, I apologize.

McGann
May 19, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

Again, I don't think we could've helped him. I just don't think we should be mocking him either.

But I'm repeating myself now, so I'll try to shut up.

Agreed. This could've been handled better by all of us.That's all that need be said anymore.

Ahh to think, back when I first started on the internet my biggest worry was someone trying to "a/s/l" me with my mom present at the keyboard. Now I'm weighing complex psychological questions.

So how about that Ncuti??

I just had this thought and it's completely unrealistic but I would love for the toymaker to somehow make a Barbie allusion as a light joke about Ncutia recent role in the movie/being a future doctor incarnation (since the joke would be at Tennant I guess)

It would be dumb and date the joke immediately but I'd still laugh.

Please don't have taken this idea rtd. It's a bad one.

McGann
May 19, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

…does he have Gallifreyan on his nails?

It's a new Canon being introduced to explain pertwees tattoo. It travels and is reimagined every reincarnation, and we just havent seen it in a public place for a few..

McGann
May 19, 2003

Fil5000 posted:

I realise nostalgia is poisonous but I really do miss early big finish when you had no idea what was coming next. Going from Shadow of the Scourge (which is a pretty conventional NA story) to The Holy Terror (which is both funny and dark and features FROBISHER for goodness sake) is just not something that seems to happen any more.

The Holy Terror is a regular listen for me just down to how loving weird it is.. And it works, absolutely, to have a talking penguin as a companion to Collin. I wish we had more!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGann
May 19, 2003

Khanstant posted:

There still exists an infinite amount of time and countless adventures that hand can have gone in between episodes and that regeneration! One day there will be Big Finish adventures starring 5 of 10.

Plenty of time to grant cursed wishes.

They're already doing these stories. There have been a couple, and I believe the hook is "10 but WILDER BECAUSE HE'S HUMAN" and star Jackie as the pov, but I'm on my phone and can't check easily. I have heard one that was a companion piece but that's all coming to mind at the moment.

Basically if you've thought it, bf has as well at this point lol

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/doctor-who-short-trips-the-siege-of-big-ben-1558

And then a follow up

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/doctor-who-short-trips-flight-into-hull-1560

I need to give them a try but.. Lidster written take a certain headspace for me. And it's a rarity.

McGann fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Oct 23, 2023