Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/Sportico/status/1587473289060012032?s=20&t=4KolQ0D0bk64VfoA4MPpTg

Honestly seems like a shame that Melnyk’s kids couldn’t just keep the team at this point but I’m guessing they functionally have even less money than that guy did and he was broke as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

All Leafs fans are mentally ill, of course, but that guy probably needs some sort of intervention

eXXon posted:

... why?

They actually allowed the GM to improve the team for the first time in 15 years. Granted, seems like the only reason they did is because they figured the financial commitments would become someone else's problem, but no good comes from teams run by misers in the league.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/LeafsNews/status/1587848064185802752?s=20&t=gXEz1gF1fadVKopakPHaQA

lmao “great heights” such as:

Also Rielly-Mete might be the worst Leafs pairing I’ll ever see at actually playing D in their own zone. I bet there’s gonna be a couple really nice-looking offensive zone entries though, so who’s to say if it’s good or bad.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

When people take shots at Matthews and he doesn’t do anything people say that he’s too soft.

When Matthews takes matters into his own hands people say it’s stupid because he could get hurt, and the team needs to support its stars.

When the team steps up for their stars people say that’s bad because guys like Matthews should fight their own battles.

Guys like Mike Rupp trying to cling to relevance don’t need the air, this stuff is tedious.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

"get involved" get serious, Konecny is a noted rat, he took the first pop, he made the first slash, and the last time Auston actually hit back hard the league handed him a hefty suspension and nobody was going "heck ya bud"

I understand the shitposting about wanting violence but let's not get into some disingenuous theoretical discussion about the Leafs locker room

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Koth posted:

It happens on every team in every sport, but go ahead and believe the Leafs room is different from every other.

Every player in the locker room has praised both Giordano and Rielly this season for stepping in when guys have taken shots at Nick Robertson and Auston Matthews respectively. The fact that players continue to step in for others would make me think that they're not secretly steaming about it. I don't expect you to know anything about that because you wouldn't read or watch these things, but go on.

The only way to not "get involved" in that video would be for Auston to skate away from a guy taking shots at him. Which would then be more bait for the same dumb assholes like Rupp to whip up people who love having their opinions made for them.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I don't see Auston motioning his teammates in to take TK on, I see a guy spoiling to start poo poo cause his team's been embarrassed and Gio takes him out of there of his own volition. I really don't understand this thing where fans of other teams are trying to mind read the Leafs players and head office as being secretly upset about something that they're willingly doing repeatedly.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

The other wild thing is that Leafs fans aren't the ones talking about this thing, Rupp isn't local media and not a single credible person who actually follows the team has anything bad to say about it. It's a non-issue here.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

eXXon posted:

If Matthews wasn't such a huge bitch he would have gone back in time and made the Leafs draft Konecny themselves instead of trading the pick for Travis Dermott (lol), Jeremy Bracco (lmao) and Andrew NielsenMartins Dzierkals (rofl).

Seriously, we wanna talk about helping out the team what a huge punt of a draft that was after taking Marner

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

As of 2021 the family of the kid he bullied said that he still had not formally apologized to them or communicated with them outside of the form letter he was ordered to write by the courts. (source on that: https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl-draft-pick-mitchell-miller-ushl-mvp-vile-bullying-saga-011615380.html)

We don’t need to talk about second chances and showing that he’s changed if he hasn’t even started the most basic steps to showing that growth. He, and now the Bruins by extension, is still trying to act like it never happened.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

eXXon posted:

... and then almost immediately renounced it. As did whichever college he initially committed to.

Miller tore up the USHL, but that doesn't mean much because top prospects rarely stay there for their draft+2 years. His coach posted a lovely video about how they had a great plan to integrate him with the team and manage the backlash. The nicest thing he could say is that Miller participated in mandatory team activities and didn't do anything obviously bad that they know of. Really damning with faint praise.

Miller also continues to not seem to understand what a sincere apology and taking responsibility means, but its hard to tell how much is because he's dumb as bricks or because he's a callous rear end in a top hat.

Yeah I think the important context is that Miller exploded last year in the USHL, which is already a mid-tier development league, as a 20 year-old. He was also not the top scorer on his team, a younger undrafted guy was. There's a hundred guys who put up numbers like that every year, it's not that significant.

The Bruins really blew up their Reunion Tour PR in order to sign... *scans QMJHL scorers list* American Miguel Tourigny?

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

WeaponX posted:

It’s just so dumb because besides the obvious moral implications and cap complications aside- in a sport like hockey there are like a dozen guys that are game-breakers and most of the roster can be relatively easily replaced by a hundred other players. Why do this? I really think that some of these GMs do this because they feel like they are “sticking it” to the SJW media because they won’t just let boys be boys.

Miller won USHL Player of the Year last year despite, as I said, being outscored on his own team by a younger undrafted guy, and it was 100% a big dogwhistle for "hockey people think that they are above the common populace and can do whatever they want" dressed up as an "overcoming adversity" narrative

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Wheeler has not been a very good judge of talent over his... entire career as a writer, he was able to get a lot of access early on by essentially working for free while his family paid his bills but his reputation wasn't earned by accuracy or insight. IMO he's a guy you want to go through the actual descriptions of players critically and read between the lines rather than pay attention to where he slots people.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Sweeney's press conference is just making this more bizarre. He's like (paraphrased) "It's tough. If it was my kid, I don't know if I would be able to forgive him." Yes, exactly, so why the gently caress did you sign him?

this would be very funny if it wasn't oddly gross

https://twitter.com/smclaughlin9/status/1588583485979365379?s=20&t=NO0_ZwEwgyP9F2ZCbCzMUg

"I didn't want to do it but... what if he shoots pucks into the net?"

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Coming out and saying "Patrice Bergeron thought this was a bad idea but I did it anyway" is incredible

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

To be fair, I don't read past the first few spots that anyone writes. Its a combination of no one being able to predict a draft, pre-draft evaluations becoming outdated quickly, and also me not caring. Once they become Leafs prospects, though...

When I read Wheeler, it's more of a curiosity than me taking everything he says as gospel.

For sure, I'm not out here reading up on Minnesota Wild prospects in detail for my own edification, I'm just saying when Wheeler makes broad pronouncements comparing draft years or where he slots guys I don't take a lot of that very seriously, his most valuable stuff is in parsing how he describes prospects individually and then coming to your own conclusions on that.

fermun posted:

I'd be shocked if he doesn't get claimed, he made a huge impact in the offseason last year
https://twitter.com/mirtle/status/1588595873616797696

NAK just looked weirdly lost, he was constantly a step behind in every zone, not attaching/switching quickly enough defending, and he doesn't exactly have a lot of offensive prowess to fall back on. If he clears maybe spending some time with the Marlies would help him acclimate to what's asked of the Leafs forwards but I'm guessing odds are he's just gone.

I'm assuming this is partially a cap move to get Liljegren activated as well.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Not surprising that Aube-Kubel was claimed, although it’s a little interesting that Colorado passed and he made it to Washington.

Seems like Dubas has committed to keeping both Malgin and Robertson up which I wouldn’t have figured at the start of the year, especially considering that Keefe has gone back to his usual ways of playing Robertson 6 minutes a night and then scratching him even when he produces. The team could have made the cap and roster work by sending Nick down instead of losing a guy.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

I figure they think they need more scoring than the "bottom six super defence" set up was providing, which is why they specifically want to keep up both Robertson and Malgin.

For sure, and I don’t think it was too early to abandon that game plan and adapt, but it also doesn’t seem like Keefe is really comfortable having both Robertson and Malgin in the lineup at the same time and even when they’re both in they’re playing single-digit minutes which is not ideal.

Seems like Robertson’s gonna be scratched for the second consecutive game tonight and was barely playing even when he was in. I just think it seems strange to lose a guy the team just signed, even though early returns were poor, so that Keefe can keep benching a young guy who could easily play 20 minutes in the AHL.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I wouldn't be surprised the Leafs just wanted a contract slot and the marginal difference between all those players was worth sacrificing someone

I’d think if that was the case they’d just trade him for future considerations somewhere, waiving him leaves open the possibility that he clears and then you’re still at 50 contracts

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Keefe basically said at practice that Brodie's supposed to "help" Holl on that pairing, so yeah the Leafs will be putting one of their good defenders in a worse spot because Holl has been such a disaster. Sure am glad Dubas twisted himself into knots in order to keep him away from Seattle!

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Bruins fall to 10-2. I didn't watch because I'm still mad about the Mitchell thing. Looked like it was close, maybe.

The Leafs were really good in the first half of the game but couldn’t really build up insurance, and then it was a white knuckle score effects kinda finish

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Speaking of goalies who have been surprisingly ok lately, after the last 4 periods of Leafs hockey Erik Källgren has broken the .900 barrier and now possesses a positive goals saved above expected.

Is that sustainable? Hell no, it’s based off of 20 minutes of prevent defence and score effects against the Bruins and then the Hurricanes doing their “million unthreatening shots for rebounds” offence that looked so bad in the playoffs, but considering how negatively Freddy Andersen and Jack Campbell are stacking up at the moment it’s still fun to think about.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

Samsonov is week-to-week and the Leafs have a back to back on Friday-Saturday. Curious whether the Leafs start Pettuzzelli against Pittsburgh or Vancouver.

Comedy option: Matt Murray returns

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

I was all excited to talk about how I finally got to go to a game after like seven years and the Leafs really managed to play a great game with a strategic defence.

And then Nylander fell down and Marner forgot to play in OT.

It was an extremely Leafy game, with all that entails. Must have been pretty fun overall though!

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I've said it before, but "it didn't even affect the play!" is an indictment of the player going offside, not the rule. The blueline has been there for these players' entire lives, the rule is very simple and straightforward, the NHL even made reviews more lenient this year by switching to the plane instead of skate on the ice. There's no reason for a player to jump the play, it's as undisciplined as a puck over the glass or an unintentional icing, and we should look at it that way.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

So much of NHL refereeing is subjective. I am all for keeping offsides, I think the spirit of the rule is to discourage cherrypicking and stuff like that, which is good. I don't think scrutinizing whether there's a small bit of ice between a player's skate and the blue line is a good use of time and the reason why offsides need to be enforced.

If the question is "how do we get fans less mad and protect the integrity of the game-watching experience" then I think adding subjectivity into what is right now a very clear rule isn't the way

Ginette Reno posted:

I just really don't like the offsides calls where it happened like 45 seconds ago and it stops a cool goal from being scored. And I absolutely despise how every goal is scored there's a coach just hunched over the bench looking at a replay to see if they can challenge. It takes all the air out of goals being scored because you're always sitting there half wondering if someone was offsides by a millimeter a minute and a half ago.

It's also an indictment of NHL linesmen how often goals get overturned because they're unable to properly call offsides in real time.

It loving sucks when all that happens, I'm not trying to say it's good. I'm just saying that the player who went offside 45 seconds before a goal was scored should share a lot more of the blame than they do currently.

Like, it's odd that when one of these goals gets called back everyone immediately wants the league to change a fundamental rule of the game, or take away their ability to call it correctly, instead of just posting about how some random forward is a dumbass for making a bad play

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I guess my contention is that being offsides by like 0.2 seconds isn't "a bad play". It's totally within reason and oftentimes no one can say the player is offside until they dissect the video from multiple angles. Being 6 feet offside is a bad play.

We expect players to be in control of their bodies. If a guy is pumping his arms skating and his stick passes an inch in front of a guy’s face it’s fine, but an inch the other way it’s a penalty. If a player bats a puck out of the air a little too early on the way down we call off a goal. Icing, puck over glass, these are all plays where if a guy does something close but not close enough they’re penalized in some way.

So there’s tons of cases where the difference between a play continuing or stopping comes down to a player action being a little more or less than what they did, and offside isn’t any different. The only change is how long it takes in game time for the infraction to be called, and while that’s annoying I don’t see why we consider the league to be at fault when in all others cases a player is at fault.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

I was going to disagree with you, but I've actually come to enjoy analyzing offside and/or goal footage like it's the Zapruder film. HFBoards in particular used to be full of grainy screenshots and armchair physicists. if we're gonna have it, we should go back to 240/480p and have some fun with it.

I would also be totally okay if they got rid of all that poo poo and just let the game go. I like it when referees have grudges and put their own personal spin on the game.

I will admit, there is at least sometimes actual drama in a challenge and I’ve been legitimately interested/amused

And I’d also be perfectly ok with not having video replay for this stuff either. I’m just saying the next time the Leafs get a goal disallowed because Rielly couldn’t keep the puck in at the line or Nylander was a step ahead of the puck carrier I’m going to be calling those players dumbasses in the GDT instead of proposing rules changes here

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

deoju posted:

Give Canada two teams, Eastern and Western.

So the East gets Crosby, Mackinnon, and McDavid and the West gets uh

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

The Leafs being basically .500 this far into the season is genuinely astounding. I know they've had a few injuries but their big guys are all healthy. What has been the issue with them aside from coaching?

They’re straight up worse across the board this year, but the w/l record has a lot to do with percentages. The team’s been struggling to convert 5 on 5, they’re -7 goals scored above expected according to Moneypuck, so they can’t hope to outscore Källgren being +1 goal against per game like they could last year.

If they were shooting at their usual percentage and didn’t have to play their technically 4th string goalie so much their record would be fine. The underlying numbers would still be worse, though, they’re positive but middling which is the most concerning thing.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Erik Källgren will play for the second night in a row because Kyle Dubas and Sheldon Keefe are bad at their jobs.

First-line LW Ilya Mikheyev will get a hat trick for the Canucks tonight

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/jonassiegel/status/1591577856500699137?s=20&t=mdhAt7ZQ2lyJXWdvvfRPgA

So the Pens game-winner from last night that randomly pinged off Brodie’s knee and went straight to Malkin also took Brodie out. Awesome

This is gonna be one of those “I sure hope regression comes in time” sorta seasons

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Same 3rd string goalie going tonight for the Leafs too right?

Gonna be very interesting to see if the giant loser energy surrounding the Canucks has met it’s match in the giant :effort: energy surrounding the Leafs

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Poor Muzz, even last year when it was clear his body was failing him in the regular season he was able to step up and contribute in the playoffs. Really hope he's able to live his life properly moving forward.

TJ Brodie is now on IR as well so the outlook for the Leafs looks pretty loving grim for a while. The back end is basically:

Rielly - Liljegren
Benn - Holl
Giordano - Sandin

Murray
Kallgren

Which uh... is real bad. Auston Matthews needs to start scoring at 5 on 5 sometime soon or this team is gonna tailspin.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

eXXon posted:

Save us, uh, Mac Hollowell?

- former Soo Greyhound
- short
- can’t skate
- doesn’t score

Can’t wait to see the unique quality he brings to the Leafs d corps that will put them over the top! it’s being right-handed

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

Auston's two years from FA and that's really what's there? how is that possible? I think Dubas has his strengths but good loving Lord

Drafting and development under the Shanahan regime has, with the exception of players taken top-10, been surprisingly poor despite what the fanbase chooses to believe. Also Dubas spent all the money they could have used for a good defender on Matt Murray, which I think we've all established is a move that never should have been made.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Like, the defender the Leafs just called up was drafted in 2018, same year as Rasmus Sandin, and he is a right-handed, two years over-age, Canadian, significantly worse copy of Rasmus Sandin. And Rasmus Sandin isn't very good! These are the jewels of the Leafs defensive pipeline.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah the equipment changes lead to the downfall of a lot of goalies, Murray for sure has problems with the holes between his arms and body and that's 100% on pad/jersey size.

Hand Knit posted:

Murderer’s row for sure.

Seeing what's become of the Leafs 'depth' in the years since has made me reconsider some of those past team failures, like it's hard to take a team seriously that's relying on Andreas Johnsson, Kasperi Kapanen and Travis Dermott as some of their better players beyond the top guns.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Misanthrope posted:

Don't mention Kapanen too many times, it elicits 1000 word posts on him, it's very weird

Truly the new Andreas Lilja

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

HookShot posted:

Only true SAS elders remember gay cadaver ankles. One day someone will ask what suck my dog off ref means, too, and I will know my bones have truly turned to dust.

I believe it's "wave my dick off while I pound your dog, loving ref"