Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

"Tage Thompson, star centre of the resurgent Buffalo Sabres, had a six point night" is not something I thought I'd ever write.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The only appreciable asset Melnyk had left was the Senators and he leveraged that to hell. He took out multiple $100m+ loans against the team. Unless it sells for like $800m they're probably going to just break even.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Also after last season every single forward born in Arizona who has played in the NHL has a 30g season.

Sean Couturier
Brady Tkachuk
Matt Tkachuk
Tage Thompson

You can expand that list to include Auston Matthews if you want but technically he was born in California before moving to Phoenix as a baby.

Mark Kastelic messed that up by making his team this year, but if you ever wanted to bet on a grinder breaking out as star from nowhere he's your guy.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

This is the Canucks worst start to a season since 1987.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

This is the Canucks worst start to a season since 1987.

They signed JT Miller to a 7 year extension exactly two months ago to the day

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I want to post the Leon Draisaitl nutcracker video but it seems to be deleted

https://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comments/sx4txz/updated_condensed_compilation_of_draisaitl/

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Canucks powerplay is 30.7%. Their penalty kill is 57.6%

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

This year they're taking the unique approach of standing still and letting the opponent's powerplay do whatever it wants with the puck.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

This all worked out great for Miller who now doesn't have to play for the Coyotes and got to pick where to go! What a sensationally awful league.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

"I don't know if he'll ever be eligible" doesn't fill me with confidence that he'll never step foot on an NHL ice surface and there will be real consequences for his actions, but it's a drat sight better than literally anything else the league has done in similar circumstances.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

What is unclear is if the league has registered this contract. If so, presumably the Bruins want to assign him to the ECHL or maybe AHL. Is he eligible for those leagues but just not the NHL?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Thr best bit in the NHL is every guy the Leafs waive getting claimed no matter how much they stink.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Lmao

Lol

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Can we please now never hear the name Mitch Miller mentioned in hockey circles again?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The World Cup is awful. Please just scrap it.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Leafs being basically .500 this far into the season is genuinely astounding. I know they've had a few injuries but their big guys are all healthy. What has been the issue with them aside from coaching?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

heehee posted:

nucks are guaranteed to win tonight

:confused:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

fawning deference posted:

Remember this Devils fans?

That lineup is every single one the Canucks have rolled out for a decade and we will definitely never escape

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jesus christ there are still 66 Canucks games left this year

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Canucks have four guys on pace for 40 or more goals (Horvat is on pace for 68!) with the 6th best powerplay and yet sit 29th overall in the league because they are averaging 4.06 GAA and a 67% PK lol.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

“we have lost every game by 1 goal” is some absolute loser poo poo lol

Right up there with "we've been in every game" which is technically an irrefutable statement but one meant to imply far more than it does. All the Canucks players use it constantly. It has become their go to statement now. The loser's lament.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

Buffalo may not be good, but at least Dahlin is continually improving from the looks of it.

Two weeks ago they were a young team on the rise. I love October optimism.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

deoju posted:

Remember Marcel Hossa's internet issues?

Evil Waldo did nothing wrong.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

th3t00t posted:

We weren't really 6-3 good in October and we're not really 1-7 bad in November. Currently on an 0-7-0 streak.

Rebuttal: they lost to the Vancouver Canucks

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Is there anyone left that doesn't wear a visor?

The stupid part is all the remaining guys that don't had to wear a visor all the way up to the NHL. Lucic, ROR, Kassian, et al took off their visors when they made it to the NHL. If it hasn't been mandated for everyone who began after 2010 there would likely be plenty more who did the same, even though they're perfectly capable of playing with one on. It has nothing to do with performance and everything to do with macho bullshit.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah I think there's a good chance he'll go to whichever team fires their coach first. Unless it's Vancouver. Hopefully he has sense enough not to even return a call from Vancouver.

The Canucks apparently have Rick Tocchet ready to go when they fire Boudreau. No, I don't know why either.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I have been pleasantly surprised with Sportsnet Now and I can't believe I am typing those words given my great distate for Rogers Communications Inc.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Folks, the Vancouver Canucks have not surrendered a powerplay goal in back to back games.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

fawning deference posted:

I wish NJ could erase the Palat signing and have that cap space back. They really don't need him and would have an extra $5-6m to work with. Echoing sentiments that this team with Gaudreau would be unfair.

I guess you could say that signing was unpalatable

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I'm starting to think that maybe the Panthers overreacted to losing to Tampa a bit.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Canucks did it again.

7 times in 19 games they've blown a 2 or more goal lead.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

Also from that game, Jordie Benn left injured. I kind of hope he's out a couple games just to see who on earth the Leafs call up next given that they've already reached for Mete and Hollowell.

Tyler Myers will look so sharp in the blue and white

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Misanthrope posted:

I'm game for getting rid of mangiapane too

Just 8.75 years and about $90m to go on that Hiberdeau deal.

CBJSprague24 posted:

How did Arizona hang a 4 spot on Carolina?

Idk but some team is going to laughably overpay for Lawson Crouse in the next 18 months.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 24, 2022

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Oh man that's awful. I'm glad he got his big ceremony the other week.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

GM C. McDavid will demand it's Edmonton

Why are the Oilers .500? I thought Woodcroft was actually a decent coach who'd finally got them to play with a semblance of structure last year, but apparently that all got forgotten over the summer.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/StatsCentre/status/1596767331505819649?t=cYSWTcEOLTwphv1-61C-TA&s=19

Quinn Hughes is very, very good.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

According to Jack Hughes’ wiki page, apparently not.

Their mom taught them all to skate and they're arguably 1/2/3 in the world at pivots and lateral movement. I do not know how she isn't the most in demand skating coach on earth.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I cannot believe Vancouver is 3 points out of the playoffs. The west is so unbelievably bad this year.

Just score goals baby

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Misanthrope posted:

Zadorov has been decent but most of the team has been unwatchable garbage lately... So boring

They were never going to immediately pivot after losing two 100pt players. The return on Tkachuk was solid given the circumstances, but the immediate extensions to Huberdeau and Weegar are starting to look regrettable. They'd have been incredible trade deadline chips. Still, I understand the desire to bring in some stability. Plus it's the quarter pole, this Flames team feels like one that could still easily go on a 12 game win streak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

clean ayers act posted:

https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1596896341275611141?s=20&t=orXNQ1eEyofyn_I3XVJZyQ
i checked the standings yesterday and was surprised to see seattle in a playoff spot. im on the east coast so i dont watch many of their games.. .are they just getting unsustainable goal scoring?

No, you see Bo Horvat is totally gonna score 65 goals this year.