Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

After the start they had I'd have imagined the models would hate Minnesota more. But they turned it around in the games since. 96pts isn't so bad, but I will laugh if that's all it takes to win the western conference.

E: I just realized that this has the Capitals winning the division too, so maybe I won't believe it too much yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Duckman2008 posted:

IMO they’re gonna keep either making or barely missing the playoffs , and when they make it their ceiling is 2nd round tops. Sucks, but could be worse I guess.

I'm not counting out the Blues in the Central either. They're not winning the division this year, but they seem to be playing worse than expected which means it's probably going to level out and they're going to be a pain in the rear end for divisional games. I could see them finishing in 3rd perhaps, the central is feeling a bit soft at the moment and I don't really expect it to last.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

aejix posted:

Bet Stalock is super impressed with his team mates response there. Or he will be whenever someone shows him the footage later

Less impressed with the league's response I'm sure. Dude just can't catch a break the last 3 years.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Only for the rest of the Central division.

I’d have expected them to be better, but they were very focused on being physical and hitting things last year. So not really a surprise.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

clean ayers act posted:

are any teams in the NHL good this year?
i feel like every fanbase hates their team atm or is pleasantly surprised but is expecting the bottom to drop out any minute

I'm actually fine with how Minnesota has played except for the first three games of the season. They look closer to how they played last year, and they've settled better into their routines and timing. Still some mistakes, but the sky isn't falling and if they keep playing this way they'll do well this year.

Seattle is playing... so-so. There are some big holes, but Beniers is playing well, and the PP is producing. They still can't cycle the puck and are relying on scoring a lot on the break and turnovers. Soucy and Borgen are playing well together. The first line is okay defensively, but I still think Wennberg/Bjorkstrand aren't first line players. Wennberg plays well as a center and passer, but wins only 40% of the faceoffs. I'd expect he'd be 2nd/3rd line in a lot of other teams. I'm having trouble breaking apart the individual contribution for the line contribution. The reason I'm down on Bjorkstrand is the oiSh%/oiGF as it's much lower than the rest of the top 6. It's even worse on the PP which is something when the PP has been decent this season so far. And lower than the other top line wingers I tried to compare getting paid about the same. I think longer term this season the problems will be obvious, but with the Pacific being mostly trash, they might be good enough to make the playoffs (and lose in the first round to Calgary/VGK/COL/MN). It's also why I really expected better development for Wright. If he's really got the talent to be a top center, he needs to be on the ice playing.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Jamwad Hilder posted:

That would be fun. He owns a soccer team already doesn't he

He owns a small football club in Wrexham, Wales. It is a very small club that is in the 5th tier of English football in the National League. That said, they’re doing a good job running it so far.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

pseudodragon posted:

For reference on the size of the team, their highest paid players make between $150-$250k and they are the highest spending team in their division by a fair margin.

The division they are playing in is considered a semi-pro league though Wrexham and a few other teams are full pro so they are gunning for promotion which will put them into the actual pro tiers.

Yeah, it’s considered outside the football league, though they’re 2nd in the National league which is likely to put them inside the pyramid if it continues.

But it’s a good thing to keep in mind when it comes to just how big the difference is. They’ve essentially bought a major juniors team in terms of turnover. Could they effectively buy and run an NHL team? Sure, but I don’t expect they have 900m laying around and will need partners. I guess it’ll depend on how well Deadpool 3 does. Everyone go buy a ticket, this would be funny.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

Jeeze, Rupp is 100% right. Real bad look from Auston there. "Please help me, Travis Konecny is about to whip my rear end! I'm only 5 inches and 40lbs heavier than him and one of the strongest players in the league." Can you imagine Messier or Sid or Toews doing that?

You don't have to fight every night. But what's in that clip is gutless. Of course your teammates try to help the star. But if you're physically advantaged and it's an equal match in importance(both team's best Fs), you gotta whip that little guy's rear end. Especially with what the Leafs are right now.

I actually prefer the stand and laugh at him look. "You're so puny, why would I waste a fighting major on you?"

I don't think his team needs to come in and support at all in that situation and they could have just kept playing. The next punch or hack was going to get the first penalty on the exchange if it didn't go straight into a fight. Sucker Konecny into taking a stupid penalty if he's going to take it by standing there and laughing in his face while staring down trying to see it. There's more than one way to get under their skin that throwing punches doesn't need to be the default response. I'd much rather the guy get knocked off his game for 10 minutes trying to calm down the image of being laughed at by Matthews in his head.

I'm not completely against guys punching each other either, but that wasn't a time where a fight needed to happen. Didn't even make that much sense from a posturing point by the Leafs. They'd already won the psychological exchange.

Mike Rupp is an idiot though.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

:ohdear: Hello police? Police?? Travis Konecny is trying to beat me up! Please, I'm at Scotiabank Arena. 40 Bay St, Toronto, Ontario,

"I'm sorry, we can't spare anyone because we hear he can't even reach your face."

pseudodragon posted:

"You're not worth my time" is the best reaction to poo poo-stirrers. The best Matthews reaction was when some Sens player tried to start something so Matthews turned him around to look at his name to see who he was.

A+ reaction from any player.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

eXXon posted:

I guess it's better than the alternative of giving him 6 mins TOI in the KHL like happens to a half-dozen top prospects every year and yet hardly anybody complains that they're being Shane Wright'ed.

That's because no one in here spends much time watching the KHL.

Shane Wright played on the 3rd line last night and surprise, he wasn't completely invisible. Almost like putting him up against fourth liners for 7 minutes a night really was the problem after all.

Not that Minnesota showed up to play, but still. Can they just play away games for a month? They're dropping turds at home for whatever reason.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Jamwad Hilder posted:

What's going to suck is if he makes the team (and I pray to god he never does) you're going to get sound bites from Bruins players like "yea hes a good teammate hes a good kid" and it's gonna make me wanna puke. If that happens I hope Pasta signs/gets traded elsewhere and I can just be a fan of that team instead.

I mean, we could also hope that he gets one game against the Rangers and tries to bully Ryan Reaves before getting an earned rear end whooping. But that would require that they pay him an NHL salary and that's not worth it.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Koopa Kid posted:

For sure, I'm not out here reading up on Minnesota Wild prospects in detail for my own edification, I'm just saying when Wheeler makes broad pronouncements comparing draft years or where he slots guys I don't take a lot of that very seriously, his most valuable stuff is in parsing how he describes prospects individually and then coming to your own conclusions on that.

You could save your time and just read the Minnesota high school hockey highlights twice a month. It's pretty easy to see who's likely to get drafted and who's possibly capable of going in the first round. It's not worth the time though really because drafting is a gamble even in the first round. So unless you're trying to sell add space most people don't really need to care. You're right about reading about the big positives and negatives being more useful than trying to guess what order they're going to go.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Didn't see any of the game. Seems like Jarry laid another dogshit egg of sub .900 goaltending. Delightful.

The only one I’d really lay on Jarry was the 3rd. Needed to get left to right faster to stay square and got beaten over the blocker.

The Dunn goal took a fun bounce in the low slot and the Gourde goal was the D standing still. Penguins lost but they played a lot better than they did in Seattle.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Not Important posted:

God Bless the ECHL

The attendance will be about the same as the Thrashers, too!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

T-Bone posted:

I knew poo poo was going to go down when NHL.com posted "Bruins sign prospect who had rights renounced by Coyotes due to bullying" as their headline when they're insanely positive about everything NHL related

I'm a little surprised that the guy can even sign up and register with USA Hockey for anything with the amount of work they're putting into trying to rehab toxic hockey culture out of the rink. There's still a long way to go still. Maybe they need to start making all players and staff go through safesport training yearly as a requirement for employment. And then actually enforce it.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Zodijackylite posted:

Technically correct is the worst kind of correct when you're stopping a game after one of the coolest moments in recent memory.

Abolish offside reviews.

I said it in the GDT and I’ll say it again. Offside is offside. You don’t change how it’s called because it was a pretty goal. That’s an unequal application of a very clear rule that they just changed so players aren’t having to drag their feet on the line. Which is cool and good because they’re not in the zone ahead of the puck.

But there’s a very literal line for it here and as soon as it starts being subjective instead of objective you’re opening it up for interpretation and the Tim Peels of the world to mess with outcomes. Is it a bummer that the highlight reel goal was called back because they were in early? Sure, but it’s the same as the puck clearly over the goal line the other night in the NYR v NYI game. If it had been conclusively over the line it’s a goal; if it’s not, it’s not a goal. Subjective refereeing would make this much worse.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I could sit here and pull up a bunch of examples of missed offside calls changing the game negatively, including ones that previously couldn't have been reviewed. But I'll just drop the one for the FAS.

https://thehockeynews.com/news/a-coachs-challenge-might-have-changed-history-for-flyers-and-pat-quinn

Offside is offside. No one cares about the fractions when it doesn't impact the game with a goal. It's only checked when it's changed the game by the puck going in the net illegally. When one player on your team is in early, the whole team is put offside, that's how it works and applying the rules correctly is something we should hope the officials do. The whole reason it's there is so that some teams don't get an advantage that other teams did not.

Penalties I'm 100% in agreement that they're incredibly subjective most of the time. It's not good enough. But we don't need to insert that subjectivity into something that has a line painted on the ice. Offside is offside, and the whole of the puck must cross the whole of the line. If the Ducks had scored a normal looking goal no one would really be caring that much about this.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Jamwad Hilder posted:

you don't have to pretend to be in favor of offsides just because Zegras scored a sick as hell goal on the team you're a fan of

I am always a fan of offsides being called clearly and correctly. It's the least ambiguous part of the game along with seeing if the puck crossed the goal line. I can dig up as many more as you'd like.

Here's one you might remember where the review worked in favor https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePov14LxKVY

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The whole point of the offsides rule is to eliminate cherry picking, not if a dude mistimes a zone entry by half a second

I don't know how to rewrite the rule where a bad zone entry isn't offside anymore, but it would be better I think

They do that in soccer with an offside position or an offside offense. It leads to more arguments than having a line painted on the ice does.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

eXXon posted:

I'm starting to wonder if moneypuck's charts showing that the best forward lines/D pairings in the league are a random mix of top players and bottom tier trash maybe is a sign that they're not doing a great job controlling for any kind of context.

It looks off because it's all mixed in with very good scoring lines and very good defending lines. So it's great that Florida's line at #2 is there, but they're don't look as useful because they also put up 75% as many expected goals as the other 4 lines in the top 5. Still a good line right now of course, but it's not organized the same way so many stats tend to be organized. But it also captures lines that are good at shutting down the other team while still contributing scoring in ways that other metrics don't show as clearly.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Cartoon Man posted:

Nothing sucks worse in the NHL than having to block Ovi on the power play.

I can’t believe he turned around to block that. At least face it with the parts with enough pads to cushion it. Not a lot of protection on the back and sides of the legs.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

tarbrush posted:

How far away is he from making it to the NHL? Can't be long, surely?

They wanted to give him a year to work on his transition to the north American game. He's doing okay last I checked, but he still doesn't have a regulation win and has a 3.47gaa and .878% sv% (before that game). So if someone gets hurt in Minnesota I'd still expect Zane McIntyre to get called up first. No one seems worried about how he's progressing though, so it's a good sign for the future.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Ginette Reno posted:

And as much as Kapanen sucks at the moment, maybe he would do more if given different linemates.

Even I have difficulty believing this one. I paid attention to Kapanen when the Pens were in Seattle and he came on for a line change once and stood there 15’ from his bench in the neutral zone and did nothing while the puck was in his D zone. And then the whistle went 10s later. He then skated back to the bench. Just stood there and wasn’t even looking for a pass or to get moving in a breakout.

Blew my mind that a player would just stand still like a Mite who’s staring at the puck.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Not Important posted:

"Whaddaya want your hockey playahs to look like out theah? A buncha fuckin HOCKEY PLAYAHS or somethin??"

This is also something I disagree with Lou on very strongly. If I were GM, I would mandate that every player on my roster grow their hair out and sport a full beard. To paraphrase the ancient Spartan philosopher Lycurgus, long hair makes a handsome man that much more comely and an ugly one that much more terrifying.

I too disagree with Lou, but fall on the side of "it's not your loving head, bald man, so why do you get an opinion of what it looks like". If he doesn't want to grow out his hair, he doesn't have to now and never did. Connecting hair style with other things is straight trash. I don't care how well respected you are, it's not the army.

E: I'm pretty sure he'd have fans in Minnesota throwing things at him for messing with the team having any hockey hair.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Starsfan posted:

Lol all 3 of the highlighted players for the Oilers are guys (specifically defenseman) they gave up on early in their careers

Oh those Oilers

There's a bunch of names that the drafting team either gave up on or even never signed, but the bulk of the list did at least play for the team at least a little. Putting Jared Spurgeon under the Islanders is a bit of a laugh, they never did anything with him, he played 5 years in Spokane (WHL), and he was a training camp pickup for Minnesota. At least they were playing Devon Toews before trading him cheaply (stupidly) to Colorado.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

I hope every team boos him now

I think we should boo more star players on away teams in general.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

I would put Zucker on the top powerplay and considering swapping the matchups of Malkin/Zucker/Rakell against top line and GCR with the easier match up. Either Rust has a nagging injury or he's lost a few step and there is almost no replacement in the line up for him.

The 5-6 times I've turned the Pens on this year, Zucker seems faster than he did the last couple? Not quite as fast as he was in his early 20s in Minnesota, but still plenty fast to gain a step and cause a d-zone breakdown. Guentzel should be that on Crosby's line, but he just seemed off his speed/timing a lot of shifts. Then completely on in other games. Maybe he's just hitting that spot in your late 20s where you start losing a step. They really need to make some moves even just looking toward next season either way. There's only two guys on the team under 26.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I never thought I'd complain about Ryan Hartman being injured or not on the top line, but Freddy Gaudreau just doesn't have the hands or bulldog to post up and cause problems in front of the net. He's a good defensive center, but he's about half a tick slower on the hands than Hartman because of it and the scoring is just off right now.

One of those things where you don't quite know if a piece is really that important until you don't replace it with a similar piece in the squad. Greenway being out still and again also means that line isn't really working either.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Was there a large decline in fighting even? It felt fairly consistent from the last few years, but that’s a feeling and not numbers.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

DJExile posted:

https://www.hockeyfights.com/stats

it's seen a pretty significant drop over the last 10 years or so, yeah.

Last 10 years definitely, but I'm just talking 20-21 to 21-22 seasons. It seems to have leveled out around 0.15-0.2 fights per game and from my napkin math it's about 0.14 per game this season right now. So that tweet looks even dumber considering it's been about the same since 2018.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

It appears that the only name in the top 10 of both of those lists is Jared Spurgeon and he's never near the top of anything because he's so short. I knew he was quite the D, but that just puts it on another level when he's been doing it at that level for 5 years. It's too bad no one pays attention to both sides of the list when they vote for the Norris, but maybe some year.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Diet Crack posted:

lol that's so loving stupid it's beyond stupid.

Why do you need to wear a helmet during warmups to protect your head if 75% of the players on the ice aren't wearing one?

This is pretty much a non-issue. Most players wear helmets in warm ups these days. The ones who don't entered the league ages ago and won't be affected. So for the two people who this will impact, :shrug:

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

fawning deference posted:

Did anyone else realize the Ducks don't have a regulation win yet? All 5 wins are overtime wins.

No one has really been watching them, so probably not.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

The rink there isn't open until end of December, and they're playing only road games and were still practicing in Seattle. At least they were still there last week. So it's really hilarious timing where Wright doesn't even get to play in Coachella on this "conditioning stint". But it's good that they found a loop hole to get him playing in the AHL. He needs games to get better and just scratching him for 73/82 games is garbage.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Unbelievably hilariously bad mismanagement.

seattlekraken.txt

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
“Oh, the Wild just acquired someone named Reaves, is he any good?” -my partner at lunch

FFS Minnesota.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Diet Crack posted:

I guess Bill Guerin's idea of identity is being a useless gently caress who happens to be large.

Couldn’t find a cheaper one anywhere?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

VOTE1 posted:

Being scratched for the last remaining pure punch man left in the league might light a fire under the underperforming scratched player.

The problem has been going back and forth from “can’t defend and can score” to “can’t score and can defend”. So I’m not sure what this helps out with. Maybe they’re expecting Greenway to really be gone for a while longer.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

I don't care how bad your teams system is, easily a third of the AHL team is better than Ryan Reaves

Shush, I’m just trying to have a happy holiday week.

… I would have called up someone from and ECHL team first too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Koopa Kid posted:

Also I watched the replay of Bastian’s interference call, I totally get why Jersey fans think it shouldn’t be enough but I know exactly why the refs called it. Sean McIndoe did a piece on goaltender interference and pretty definitely showed that all the NHL cares about is the blue ice; if a player comes into the blue and makes unforced contact with the goalie before the puck comes in it’s coming back every time, the league is very consistent about it and every other factor that announcers and fans like to talk about is basically made up nonsense.

It’s like the crease violations of yesteryear. The GI violations I don’t like are the ones that get called back when the players are outside the crease entirely and end up making incidental contact with a glove or blocker that’s outside the crease as well. That’s making the protected area larger than it’s written and is not great.

None of the waved off goals in the last couple games with NJ and Toronto should have been goals though and I’m a little surprised the second one tonight wasn’t just a straight interference penalty as well. Bastian got called for a GI penalty on Saturday for the same sort of contact with Murray’s skate so I’m surprised that Lindy bothered to challenge it.