Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Ukrainian command seems a lot less optimistic about taking Kherson than Twitter. Also bonus accusation that Russia soldiers are dressing up as civilians to make Ukraine look bad when they kill them. I really should make a list of all the insane things the Ukrainian side has said were false flags.

Резидент posted:

The Russians are simulating a retreat from the right bank of the Kherson region in order to mislead the Ukrainian command.

This opinion was expressed by the head of the press center of the Defense Forces "South" Natalia Gumenyuk during the telethon.

"Despite the fact that the enemy declares the abandonment of settlements in the Kherson region and the total evacuation, we are monitoring the situation and realize that these may be certain tricks and military maneuvers in order to create a properly built defense for ourselves. These are certain provocations for in order to create the impression that the settlements are abandoned, that they are safe. But given that they were preparing for street battles, we are aware of the planned tactics of action.Do not rush to rejoice, we must understand that a hybrid war also involves such information stuffing, attack," she said.

According to her, regular units remain in Kherson, which are disguised as civilians. They continue to settle not only in the regional center, but also in other settlements in the homes of people who have left. The Russians are doing this to create a picture that supposedly the Ukrainian Armed Forces are opening fire on civilians.

"They also want to create a picture that the Armed Forces of Ukraine, having entered the settlement, began the execution of the civilian population. This is for public and propaganda channels. But we are ready for these provocations," the spokeswoman said.

In addition, the Russians completely blocked traffic across the Dnieper River. This may indicate that they are trying to use the crossings solely for their own purposes.

"There is a continuation of hostilities. We keep fire control. In particular, the crossing of the Antonovsky bridge cannot be used due to significant damage," she added.

Gumenyuk said that the Russians are preparing for the defense of the Kherson region: they are trying to mine the approaches, equipping trenches and reinforced concrete structures.

https://t.me/rezident_ua/14934
(from t.me/rezident_ua/14935, via tgsa)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Starsfan posted:

every time the Ukrainians gear up for one of these all out assaults to retake a position where the Russians have months to prepare it goes horribly wrong for Ukraine.. The Ukrainians themselves seem to recognize this, as the last attempt on Kherson was half assed while they had the Kharkiv operation in their back pocket.

I expect Ukraine to do something symbolic around Kherson but if they are going to make a real move I expect it to be somewhere else in the country. Maybe in the center against Donetsk? something unexpected.

The Kherson offensive already happened. If Ukraine was actually strangling supplies to the right bank like CNN says they are a collapse would have happened months ago. Ukraine has been attacking Kherson constantly for nearly two months and have almost nothing to show for it except getting obliterated at Sukhyi Stavok and Dudchany, hence the constant insistence that the real Kherson offensive will start any day now. Lately they've been making bizarre statements that Kherson is actually an impenetrable fortress due to irrigation ditches or something, which is hilarious because the south Ukrainian steppe is historically some of the worst defensive terrain on Earth.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

It's hilarious that the US has literally thousands of surplus Bradleys and Abramses just sitting around in the desert and they're scraping the bottom of the barrel for anything else to send because they don't want to hurt sales

sum
Nov 15, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

The US has said pretty bluntly that:

1. Those tanks sitting in a lot in the desert would cost a shitload to refit
2. The US has no desire to send a bunch of maintenance intensive Abrams to Ukraine and then have to foot the bill for repairing them and supplying parts, fuel, ammo, etc.

Abrams are expensive to run, and the US doesn't really want to foot that bill so far.

You think that the country that spends nearly a trillion dollars a year on its military can't afford to refurbish its own mothballed inventory?

sum
Nov 15, 2010

All the US could scrounge up for the latest aid package is a pile of Cold War-era SAMs and armored cop cars and a few hours later Radio Free Europe discovers that hey maybe Ukraine was doing just fine with all that old Soviet stuff anyway.
https://twitter.com/RFERL/status/1588158528040194048

sum
Nov 15, 2010

For any other English speakers, despite the fact that the video is called "Our Tactics" the whole video is basically him reading Rybar posts summarizing the events of the last two months (either that or he's memorized every single AFU brigade involved in the Kherson counteroffensive and how much equipment they lost in each battle, in which case I applaud his level of autism)

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Lostconfused posted:

I mean I didn't watch the video. Just evidence that he is still alive upto like two months ago or something.

Sure he could be just sitting somewhere and posting this entire time, who knows.

Yeah I wasn't yelling at you I was just interested in what he was talking about. Although considering he didn't really mention any personal anecdotes I get the sense he's not up to much besides reading Telegram

sum
Nov 15, 2010

This was such a shocking admission from Arestovich that I actually tracked down the original interview and put it through Google Translate and yeah, it looks like he said that?
https://twitter.com/SprinterMonitor/status/1588320073524969473

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usF9ekHPRho&t=360s

YouTube transcripts/Google Translate posted:

We exhausted our offensive potential because we ourselves do not produce it, we are supplied with everything from the West we spent this operation, even in the North of the Kherson region, [not to mention the?] Kharkov operation, therefore we now do not have stocks that allow us to quickly create one or two Kharkov operations, and happily report there, for example, another breakthrough, a bunch of prisoners, etc.

We will need a certain amount of time to save up, but for the next month, as it seems to me, without special news, but later, and we will have in front of us frozen hungry, exhausted in the Ukrainian steppes, in part, faster that they will not survive after two or three months of the steppe [with just a?] half stove
I don't know if Arestovich is actually in on any internal intelligence or if he's just connecting the dots and spitballing but it's hilarious to just straight up say that most of the army's equipment has been exploded but things will be ok once winter comes because the 300,000 extra enemy troops will be cold.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

looks like the Russian reserves aren’t going to make any difference, the ukranians pretty much have the Russians figured out and have an invincible defense. I will genuinely be surprised if the Russians manage any major breakthrough even during winter.

I love how these posts have the tone of someone calling in to sports radio to say that the Bills are frauds who are just going to choke in the playoffs again

sum
Nov 15, 2010

https://twitter.com/michaeldweiss/status/1592662029508042752
Even Michael Weiss isn't buying it lol

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Now even Duda is pussying out
https://twitter.com/TommyLundn/status/1592664319766167552

sum
Nov 15, 2010

I wonder what the median outcome of this whole story is. It's a huge event to sweep under the rug and an exceedingly flimsy pretext to attempt to escalate the war with. My best bet is that Poland and the US will make evasive statements apparently blaming Russia but obliquely admitting Ukraine did it and at some point some senior anonymous sources in the Bundeswehr or something will just outright say that it was a Ukrainian S-300. It feels like pretty much anything short of NATO sending troops could happen though.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

The stupidest, and therefore most likely, way that this war could end is Ukraine's economy screeching to a halt compounded by Western aid drying up, retroactively making Putin's mystifying limp-dicked decision making genius.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

It's silly to argue against the idea that Russian strategic bombing will crack Ukraine's national will to resist, because no one has thought strategic bombing can do that since like 1944. Ukraine is fighting a total war, directing the maximum amount of resources its state and economy is able to towards the army. Turning the power off necessarily weakens the economy and the capacity of the state, which in turn necessarily weakens the army which those two generate and regenerate. It's not a question of morale.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Morbus posted:

Yeah that's fair enough, since so far the only thing that has pushed Russian forces out have been AFU counter-offensives.

However:

1.) Those Russian gains were made, as I've said before, under very different circumstances than exist now, and mostly before Ukrainian mobilization really got going. Taking them back may prove to be very different.

2.) The Ukrainians are much more committed to the war than the Russians are. How effective will strategic bombing actually be at neutralizing the AFU on its own? Historically, even after the largest and most effective air campaigns, regular forces still had to be defeated on the ground. They are probably the last thing to be affected by bombing cities and infrastructure.

3.) If Ukraine is being propped up and resupplied by the west, bombing Ukraine can only accomplish so much

4.) Waiting for strategic bombing to wear down the AFU indirectly is a slow process, whereas AFU counter-offensives need to be dealt with now.

So on balance, it seems Russia needs to address its mobilization problem, or these bombing campaigns will be a palliative measure at best.

There's many unknown variables here that determine whether or not the bombing campaign will win the war or not ("How will a lack of power affect the rail system?", "How many refugees will a lack of heating cause?"), and I think whether you think they are justified/'smart' vs. criminal/'stupid' depends on your own personal reckoning of what the true values of those variables are and how much margin the AFU has to work with.

I think you're probably right that strategic bombing won't win the war on its own in the short-term, but at the same time no one has ever tried to win an industrial total war with a de-electrified economy. Ukraine was already straining to mobilize just 2% of its population, which is peanuts compared to other 20th century wars. For all we know the bottom could just fall out.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Hm
https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1594016442869252098

sum
Nov 15, 2010

I kinda wonder what will happen when the West runs out of military aid to send (or, to be precise, that they're willing to send), which seems like it'll be soon. No one seems to be willing/able to ramp up production to meet the rate Ukraine is burning through equipment.
https://twitter.com/VonClownsewitz/status/1594774496149372929

sum
Nov 15, 2010

I've received confidential intelligence that Russia has modified its NASAMS missiles into a ground attack role

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Ukraine Railways is taking unusually long to get back on schedule after the latest round of attacks to the grid, I think Ukraine's electricity system is basically at the tipping point. In previous attacks typically only a few trains would be delayed by more than an hour. This time it seems like practically every route had long delays, several trains were cancelled, and even a day later they're experiencing severe disruption.

Укрзалізниця posted:

❗️Update: as of 8:40 p.m., 28 trains are running with delays of more than an hour, 15 direct trains are running with a delay of up to an hour, the rest are running on schedule.

As of now, the following trains are departing with the biggest delays:

🚆#7/8 Kharkiv — Odesa (+11 h 52 min);
🚆#191/192 Odesa — Kramatorsk (+ 11 h 49 min);
🚆#91/92 Odesa — Kharkiv (+ 11 h 49 min);
🚆#61/62 Kharkiv — Odesa (+ 11 h 29 min);
🚆#85/86 Zaporizhia — Lviv (+ 11 h 21 min).

We apologize for this inconvenience and continue to do everything to reduce the backlog of trains from the schedule.
(from t.me/UkrzalInfo/3603, via tgsa)

I'm interested in what the military impacts will be. According to pro-Russian accounts the AFU regularly attaches military cars onto intercity trains, so I don't think this is something that will only affect civilians (moreover, in previous attacks Ukraine Railways has said they had pulled reserve diesel locomotives to keep trains from being cancelled, which would be really weird if military trains were being disrupted as well).

sum
Nov 15, 2010

I've been ignoring most news out of Bakhmut since it's been mired in a grinding positional battle for like literally half the war, but it seems like the latest round of combat has been more intense than usual. This pro-Ukraine account claims that the AFU suffered 500 dead (not casualties, dead) 500 wounded (I switched around cargo 200 and cargo 300 on accident) in Bakhmut Saturday and Sunday alone.
:nms:https://twitter.com/donetchanyn/status/1596982222980263936/photo/1:nms:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody has issued a correction as of 09:26 on Nov 30, 2022

sum
Nov 15, 2010

It's literally some bloody stretchers and vests, there's not even a human in any of the photos. You're in a thread about a war.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

e: whoops

sum
Nov 15, 2010

If I'm connecting the dots right, it seems like Ukraine's new indigenous "attack drone" is a modified Soviet recon drone from the 1970s.
https://twitter.com/Heroiam_Slava/status/1599410848513945603
https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1599836496382787584

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Probably should stick to the "Russia is a terrorist state" angle
https://twitter.com/procrast4ever/status/1599818052673032192

sum
Nov 15, 2010

There's not a lot of jobs on the planet worse than being a mechanic in a Ukrainian mechanized battalion
https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1601274338095042562

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Seems like the electricity grid in Odes(s)a has completely collapsed, authorities are recommending that civilians evacuate the oblast completely.
https://twitter.com/I_Katchanovski/status/1601685832414691329

sum
Nov 15, 2010

I bet most of the people who leave Odessa will end up as internal refugees. A large fraction of them are 18-60 men who can't leave the country anyway.

This might be a big test of the pop-history theory from a few months ago that targeting infrastructure won't affect civilian morale because of the Blitz or something. I'm certain the vast majority of Ukrainians will blame Russia for the direct impacts of the missile campaign, but by the same token many will likely blame Ukrainian government "incompetence," "corruption," "unpreparedness" etc. for the extremely severe indirect consequences. Whether that anger can be directed towards political goals, and what those goals would be, is another question completely.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

indigi posted:

the theory is that strategic bombing doesn't greatly disrupt a state's ability to make war iirc, civilian morale is just a small part of it

The main Western narrative at the beginning of the missile campaign was that the strikes were 1. primarily revenge attacks against civilians with little military effect and 2. they would "backfire" by hardening Ukraine's resolve, citing Britain's experience in WW2.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

They're completely out of actually useful munitions to send now, right? They're giving gliding weapons to an Air Force which can't fly above kite altitudes at the front without getting shot down?
https://twitter.com/DanLamothe/status/1603165188525809666

sum
Nov 15, 2010

For what it's worth the Telegram rumor is that Ukraine has a critical shortage of S-300 missiles. It seems like a repeat of the M777 thing from the spring, where an ersatz measure in anticipation of the AFU running out of 152mm shells was billed as an expansion of Ukrainian capabilities using high-tech NATO weapons.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

His full comments are worth reading. Zaluzhny's essentially saying that he can't recapture the rest of Kherson without an armored corps' worth of new materiel, which he seems to strongly imply he's not expecting to get.

quote:

TE: Are your allies holding you back in any way from advancing on Crimea?

VZ: I can’t answer the question of whether they are holding back or not. I will simply state the facts. In order to reach the borders of Crimea, as of today we need to cover a distance of 84km to Melitopol. By the way, this is enough for us, because Melitopol would give us a full fire control of the land corridor, because from Melitopol we can already fire at the Crimean Isthmus, with the very same HIMARS and so on. Why am I saying this to you? Because it goes back to my earlier point about resources. I can calculate, based on the task at hand, what kind of resource is needed to build combat capability.

We are talking about the scale of World War One…that is what Antony Radakin [Britain’s top soldier] told me. When I told him that the British Army fired a million shells in World War One, I was told, “We will lose Europe. We will have nothing to live on if you fire that many shells.” When they say, “You get 50,000 shells”, the people who count the money faint. The biggest problem is that they really don’t have it.

With this kind of resources I can’t conduct new big operations, even though we are working on one right now. It is on the way, but you don’t see it yet. We use a lot fewer shells.

I know that I can beat this enemy. But I need resources. I need 300 tanks, 600-700 IFVs, 500 Howitzers. Then, I think it is completely realistic to get to the lines of February 23rd. But I can’t do it with two brigades. I get what I get, but it is less than what I need. It is not yet time to appeal to Ukrainian soldiers in the way that Mannerheim appealed to Finnish soldiers. We can and should take a lot more territory.
Also his assessment of Russian mobilization seems a lot sunnier than CNN's:

quote:

TE: What do you make of Russia’s mobilisation?

VZ: Russian mobilisation has worked. It is not true that their problems are so dire that these people will not fight. They will. A tsar tells them to go to war, and they go to war. I’ve studied the history of the two Chechen wars—it was the same. They may not be that well equipped, but they still present a problem for us. We estimate that they have a reserve of 1.2m-1.5m people… The Russians are preparing some 200,000 fresh troops. I have no doubt they will have another go at Kyiv.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

OctaMurk posted:

NATO refusing to cough up like 80B/year across the entire alliance for ukraine is ridiculous lol. Thats not a lot of money to "Save Europe" or w.e considering that this is the war the alliance was designed to fight

$2 billion in "military aid" to Ukraine usually means shipping off $1 billion of materiel sitting in army stockpiles and then paying Raytheon or BAE or whoever $1 billion to replace the things you just sent. So really the "expense" is either writing off crap you already made or recirculating cash through your own domestic MIC. Meanwhile $2 billion in cash aid to Ukraine means redistributing $2 billion in cash from the metropole to pay off to nobodies in the periphery. No one gets rich off that (at least no one in the west), and in fact it's flowing money through the system in exactly the opposite way that it's designed to. So there's a lot more resistance to it.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

AFU showing it's appreciation towards Germany by painting their symbols on their BMPs :)
https://twitter.com/Militarylandnet/status/1603777511535841280

sum
Nov 15, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

Thinking about that fact-check claiming there were no Nazis in Ukraine

Would you believe there's dozens of people in the comments doing the "it's a traditional PEACE rune" thing for the Balkenkreuz?

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Not a lot of posts about it but it seems like the Ukrainian energy system is at the point of collapse. The missile raid today caused severe train delays that only got worse throughout the day (which is unusual, previously there would be moderate delays immediately after the attacks which got better with time).

Укрзалізниця posted:

❗️As of 8:30 p.m., 22 Ukrzaliznytsia trains are delayed by more than 30 minutes due to the effects of the blackout:

🚆#711/712 Kyiv — Kramatorsk +9 h 24 min;
🚆#1/2 Ivano-Frankivsk — Kharkiv +7 h 41 min;
🚆#93/94 Chelm — Kharkiv +7 h 41 min;
🚆#725/726 Kharkiv — Kyiv +7 h 09 min;
🚆№3/4 Uzhhorod — Zaporizhzhia +5 h 39 min;
🚆№31/32 Przemyśl — Zaporizhzhia +5 h 18 min;
🚆#749/750 Uzhhorod — Kyiv +4 h 55 min;
🚆№32519/32520 Vienna — Kyiv +4 h 55 min;
🚆#233/234 Pokrovsk — Lviv +4 h 13 min;
🚆№131/132 Dnipro — Lviv +3 h 31 min;
🚆#731/732 Kyiv — Dnipro +2 h 14 min;
🚆#91/92 Kharkiv — Odesa +2 h 12 min;
🚆#41/42 Dnipro — Truskavets +1 hour 56 minutes;
🚆№89/90 Przemyśl — Kyiv +1 h 46 min;
🚆№3/4 Uzhhorod — Zaporizhzhia +1 hour 40 minutes;
🚆#191/192 Kramatorsk — Odesa +1 h 13 min;
🚆№45/46 Kharkiv — Uzhhorod +1 h 06 min;
🚆№85/86 Zaporizhia — Lviv +1 h 01 min;
🚆#723/724 Kharkiv — Kyiv +57 min;
🚆#749/750 Kyiv — Uzhhorod +47 min;
🚆#773/774 Shostka — Kyiv +46 min;
🚆#119/120 Zaporizhia — Lviv +34 min.

Train #90/89 also carries 250 additional passengers from the Prague-Przemyśl train, which in turn arrived 4 hours late in Poland due to problems with the locomotive.

Passengers of four Intercity+ trains in the Kramatori, Dnipro and Kharkiv directions are currently continuing their journey in warm long-distance carriages under a reliable reserve locomotive. Tomorrow's flights No. 732 Kyiv — Dnipro and No. 712 Kyiv — Kramatorsk are also planned to be operated with sleeping cars.

Suburban traffic resumes after repairs to power grids, only individual flights in Cherkasy, Kirovohrad and Dnipropetrovsk regions remain canceled for tomorrow. The rest of the suburban flights in Ukraine will leave according to the schedule - in some places under a diesel locomotive.

Passengers arriving after curfew are guaranteed the warmth of the "Fortress of Invincibility" at the station, delicious tea, all necessary transfers to the nearest flights, as well as bus transfers around Kyiv.
(from t.me/UkrzalInfo/3692, via tgsa)

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Lostconfused posted:

That's what people said last time. It took a lot longer to get things fixed, but it wasn't completely knocked out.

We'll see if this one does it.

The only specific thing I saw mentioned is that the metro might or might not be running in Kiev the next day.

For a country as big as Ukraine I don't think there's going to be a point where the grid is 100% down permanently, but it seems like the damage has accumulated to the point where most people are only getting a few hours of power a day and even critical infrastructure sometimes experiences long outages. Ukrenergo is quick to report "reconnecting" customers but that's not the same thing as actually getting them electricity.

e:

For some reason the Ukrainian and Russian word for "train" (as in a specific scheduled one) is "flight." No idea why.

sum has issued a correction as of 03:20 on Dec 17, 2022

sum
Nov 15, 2010

FWIW some RAND researcher says that Russian military circles have discussed a doctrine of destroying civilian infrastructure to trigger destabilizing refugee waves. At any rate I doubt Russia is able to strike the grid in just the perfect way so that they cause severe damage without risking a complete collapse, I imagine they'd prefer that the whole thing was just broken.
https://twitter.com/MassDara/status/1601206616644550659

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Long article from Rybar on the direct effects of the power grid strikes on the AFU. They claim the lack of power has badly affected military hospitals, causing mild injuries to become serious ones, made repairing equipment more difficult, and complicated logistics due to the huge amounts of fuel demanded by generators.

Rybar/Milinfolive posted:

On the situation with the wounded in Ukraine after strikes on the energy sector: analysis of the Military Chronicle and Rybar.

One of the main effects of the strikes on the energy sector of Ukraine was the widespread transition of the Armed Forces of Ukraine to backup power sources - diesel and gasoline generators.

According to the Military Chronicle, the most difficult situation with field energy is observed in the depths of battle formations in the area of ​​such settlements as Bakhmut, Marinka, and a number of others.

In these areas, due to active hostilities, there is almost no centralized supply of electricity, which is why hospitals and field hospitals cannot provide first aid and operate on lightly wounded Ukrainian soldiers in a timely manner. Due to the fact that the Russian army is actively using heavy weapons, the number of serious injuries in the Armed Forces of Ukraine is growing exponentially.

The shortage of electricity is aggravated by the need to carry out routine repairs and maintenance of military equipment and vehicles. All relatively powerful diesel and gasoline generators (both domestic and semi-professional) are involved in the repair and restoration of equipment, and in some cases this process is organized near hospitals, where there are relatively powerful autonomous power supply systems - 800–1000 kVA.

Connecting hundreds of consumers to such networks causes breakdowns of medical equipment. In the cities of Konstantinovka, Druzhkovka and Toretsk, the failure of refrigerators for blood banks and key elements of district and municipal hospitals, from operating rooms to dressing rooms with freight elevators, has already been recorded, which greatly complicates the reception of the wounded from especially dangerous areas.

In the Yuzhno-Bakhmut direction, according to the Military Chronicle, since December, due to overcrowded mortuaries and non-working refrigeration equipment, the bodies of the dead soldiers of the Armed Forces of Ukraine began to be taken to the territory of the psychiatric and tuberculosis buildings of the hospital in neighboring Toretsk to make room for new corpses.

Another problem of the Armed Forces of Ukraine after the start of attacks on power grids (both generation facilities and power lines) and the ensuing energy shortage was the delivery of fuel necessary for the operation of diesel and gasoline generators.

At the moment, the Armed Forces of Ukraine are spending significant resources on maintaining the system for the delivery and distribution of fuel and lubricants both on the front line and in the rear.

At the same time, ordinary generators with a power of 3-5 kW are not suitable for repairing equipment on an industrial scale, and power plants with a power of 30 kW and above require at least 115-125 liters of fuel per hour. Starting from October 2022, the supply services of the Armed Forces of Ukraine cannot cope with the supply load of hundreds of tons of fuel per day.

Because of this, the Armed Forces of Ukraine have an additional problem: first, the fuel necessary for work must be obtained, then distributed among the units, and only then the fuel and lubricants will go to brigades, battalions and companies.

Direct losses due to energy shortages in the ranks of the Armed Forces of Ukraine have already been recorded in the 24th, 57th, 30th and 71st Jaeger Brigades of the Armed Forces of Ukraine in the Bakhmut area, the 68th Jaeger and 72nd Mechanized Brigades near Ugledar and Pavlovka, the 79th Brigade of the Armed Forces of Ukraine near Marinka .

A similar situation is developing right now in the Starobelsky direction: from the units of territorial defense, the Armed Forces of Ukraine and detachments of mercenaries, they demand a momentary result, and caring for the wounded is a third-rate issue for Kyiv.
(from t.me/rybar/42084, via tgsa)

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

is there a reason they don't push right down the western side and take Lviv? I assume it's very heavily defended?

Because no one's said it yet the answer is the same reason they never took Kiev, which is the Pripyat marshes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Dunno if this got posted but while Zelensky was in the US, Shoigu announced an enormous expansion of the RuAF. Notably it looks they're moving away from the BTG/brigade system and back towards divisions

Военный Осведомитель posted:

What awaits the Armed Forces following from the speech of the Minister of Defense?

- Formation of two new-old districts - Moscow and Leningrad.
- Formation of an army corps in Karelia.
- Formation of two motorized rifle divisions in the Kherson and Zaporozhye regions.
- Two new airborne assault divisions of the Airborne Forces.
- Seven motorized rifle and tank brigades stationed in the districts, as well as in the Northern Fleet, will be reorganized into divisions.
- Marine brigades will also become divisions.
- The reform will also affect the HQS. Eight bomber and one fighter regiments will be formed.
- Deployment of six brigades of army aviation.
- Eight artillery divisions and brigades, including large capacity.
- A gradual change in the age of conscription for military service from 18 years to 21 years, as well as the age limit of 30 instead of 27 years.
- Increasing the strength of the Armed Forces to 1.5 million people, including 670,000 contract soldiers.
- The tank army must contain a mixed air division and an AA brigade.

All of the above generally looks like a large-scale reform of the Armed Forces based on the results of 10 months of the SVO in Ukraine. Well, the main question is how, and how well it will be implemented in practice.
@milinfolive
(from t.me/milinfolive/94663, via tgsa)