Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Journos and the masses of commentariat will be the last to abandon the platform, though they'll be complaining all the way to the bitter end. That Kendzior tweet is a good example, completely deranged inflation of the importance of social media as though it's some holy sword in the hands of a paladin and not just another propaganda and consensus manufacturing outlet wholly owned and operated by the same sort of people who run Fox News, like what it replaced and will replace it. No timeline of corruption no matter how meticulously and lovingly crafted is a threat to anybody. It's stuff for textbooks by people who will not be writing them.

If the choice is to archive all of it or archive none of it the latter is the better choice by far. Save dril and the world bollard association I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Rappaport posted:

I agree about the paladins part, but is the textbook thing a reference to climate change / a fascist dark age or something? Because it is possible to study history using biased sources, so long as they're recognized as such.

No, just half personal griping that just making note of these things isn't some heroic act because we're pretty firmly in the "oh yeah, what are you gonna do about it?" stage of rightward shifts, and that if you don't win you don't get the write the textbooks. Even in the context you say I don't think an archive of Twitter which is like 99.99% pure garbage is going to have anything worth saving that isn't documented elsewhere. If it's remembered as something on that scale at all, it'll probably be like we look back on leaded gasoline.

OneEightHundred posted:

I wouldn't bet on Mastodon yet, it's too atomized.

It's atomized by design isn't it? I definitely get the appeal but you can't really scale something like that up to replace Twitter unless you're doing a wink-wink nudge-nudge thing where you just run everything through a single portal somehow but just say it's not centralized

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Rappaport posted:

Well yeah, Twitter definitely has a problem of volume and I don't exactly pity the fools who have to trawl through whatever's left looking for primary or secondary sources. But on the other hand, I was just reading a history study where the author said a certain (paper) primary source had been lost to the ravages of time and they had had to resort to basically hearsay for that one paragraph, so :unsmith:

Twitter as an influencer today right now is definitely a toxic cesspool, for quite a few reasons.

Yeah I'm not prepared to write it off as certainly useless for historian marginalia, and maybe our AI overlords take over and they can ignore the garbage with ease, or it's a social science studying the garbage itself. Now that I think about it, it may be an unmatched resource for a few fields. The heroic talk though always reminds me of Qanon people who would talk about how they're saving the world from demonic librarians by posting.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

OneEightHundred posted:

"What if it was like Discord or Reddit except instead of having one account on every server/subreddit you had to sign up for every single one and people can take your handle on servers you haven't signed up on?"

Uh, no, that's actually really bad.

And the "original server" which is basically going to be the de-facto default if this takes off is currently getting crushed by traffic and had to disable account sign-up.

Oh I didn't mean to imply it would be good, just that that's how it'd probably happen if it were Mastodon. The real answer is probably something way more boring like TikTok takes most but Twitter keeps limping along in some form for years.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Cranappleberry posted:

perhaps this disaster will lead to anyone who uses twitter for anything except scrolling through cute animal pictures to take a moment to reflect on whether they should be using social media at all except for the aforementioned and chatting with friends

Facebook and all its associated brands went down for like a whole day last year and everybody said they realized exactly that and were a lot happier without it, then were right back at it when it came back up. Introspection and reflection appear to be very weak weapons against the sort of psychologist-refined outrage and validation addiction cycles that we refer to as social media in shorthand.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The big thing Discord could do would be to make a front page where servers could opt-in to be more easily searched and joined by the general public. Why a server owner would volunteer to do something so dumb is beyond me but that's what it'd look like. It'd probably just be brands and official discords for games or whatever, which are already trivially easy to find. I run a few for various purposes and if I ever logged in to find out any rando could join I'd close it up immediately and move back to Teamspeak or IRC, and I can't imagine I'm alone. It being silo'd is the whole appeal. The most frequent challenge people have with Discord is probably keeping it from becoming overwhelming as is.

I personally think even in the worst case scenario, Twitter limps along for years. Big monsters have a lot of blood.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Harold Fjord posted:

Goon project: run Twitter

I really think we can do it there's a lot of smart people here.

I'm pretty sure that one of the layoff waves resulted in SA actually having more moderators than Twitter does now.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Owling Howl posted:

Musk is very, very good at raising cash at very low rates. Not just from institutional investors but also large numbers of devoted fans. It's an immense advantage. In that sense Tesla enjoyed a lot of the same benefits that fueled the crypto boom and it's not a coincidence that crypto Twitter scams focus on Musk - it's the same ~Tech~ crowd that love and hype both.

To a large extent it stems from his "he lands rockets" cred. Which is profitable if you have a high enough launch cadence. Which you can do if you can find a reason to do it like a mega-constellation. Which might not be profitable. We'll see.

If true, what's that mean for him if the era of low interest on infinite free money for speculation is done and over with?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Alkydere posted:

Haven't heard very much the last few days from Musk/Twitter, or the media reacting to it. Has it just been white noise of "meh, you've already done worse" or has he actually been relatively silent?

I think people, especially journos, are starting to put two and two together and realizing there is nothing on the other side of the escape hatch except vacuum, and making Musk or any of his informants mad will get them banned without comment so they're shutting up because that's career suicide. Combine that with the fact that anybody who has actually done the right thing and ditched is no longer part of the conversation (because it's still happening on Twitter) and yeah it makes sense that it feels like it's died down. Musk made a big deal of bringing Kanye back, wonder if anybody is going to ask him for a comment on his Alex Jones interview today.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Cicero posted:

What the fuuuuuuuuuck

Even the most smooth brained basic rear end engineer in the world should've known this is a terrible goddamn idea, Jesus Christ.

Amazon just spent loads of money on an MMO with a persistent territory and PvP system at its core and then made basically everything client side. You can probably imagine how it went when people figured this out lol.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The Bee used to be an fairly innocuous "The Onion but specifically for church-goers" and apparently had some good ones in that regard, they're definitely "The Onion but Ben Shapiro" now tho

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

SpaceX is backstopped and largely funded by the government because it's constrained in the sense that it actually needs to put out products that work, Tesla and so many others were basically just byproducts of a decade of infinite free money for speculation by the stupidest and most venal people you could hope to imagine. The former will be fine, the latter will be hosed. Or I guess we're all going to be hosed to protect the stupid and venal people and stop people asking why we did exactly gently caress all but screw ourselves with such a historic opportunity.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Gonna be a real Worst Person You Know moment for me if it breaks Twitter embeds here, something I've wanted for a very long time. I don't think anybody can know for sure until actual details come out - there's a bunch of different things he could be talking about and I'd bet my life savings on him not actually knowing it's actually complicated at all.

I'm no web guy but I've heard devs who are talk about different tiers of API and prices already existing, including potentially more than 1 free one. Basically everybody who interacts with the platform beyond just casual timeline scrolling uses a third party option tho so the chances that this ends up being spectacularly stupid are very high.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Things going well over there I see

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Every time I follow a link back to twitter, one of his dumbass tweets is always right below the replies. Generally a meme that if I saw it here would be a "go back to Reddit" probation. I had assumed he's been doing this for awhile now. I go there maybe once every couple days and have platform.twitter.com blocked on all websites so it's gotta just be some kind of default thing.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Didn't YouTube have a big blowup a couple years ago when it turned out their algos (and users) were doing the same thing? I've got a pretty dim view of these companies to start out with but I figured even they would've taken the opportunity to learn that lesson before they were forced to, jfc

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

PT6A posted:

No, there were definitely people setting "YouTube challenges" for gymnastics and yoga and such and then sharing timecodes of, uh, the parts of the results they found interesting. Vice did an investigation of it, but I can't find it at the moment.

Seems that YouTube fixed that problem pretty quickly once they were publicly shamed for it being a problem in the first place.

Yeah that's the one, forgot who did the deep dive and not in a spot where I can do much looking into it. The Elsa Spiderman stuff was a different blowup because it was appearing on Youtube Kids iirc, which is supposed to be more strictly filtered

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Fortunate Bird posted:

Unpopular opinion but I honestly think people are going to be predicting the death of twitter (for any definition of "death") for eternity while slowly proving elon right that you can just fire 90% of staff and start charging money to use the thing. The fact is that the liberals that are still there are never going to leave. The idea to make the blue checkmark possible to hide is genius. Half of the people that claim to hate twitter/musk will probably pay the $10 a month because clearly twitter is a valuable business platform if they still are using it despite being in opposition to their values. They are still using it because they want the audience it provides. But increasingly they're going to find their audience shrinking as their non paying accounts are deprioritized. Some of the competing liberal accounts will start forking over the cash, and they'll have pressure to do the same or just slowly lose their audience while republican's and russian bots and the democrats willing to support musk take over.

:10bux: is just for the normies who want to get made fun of for whatever reason. Every actual org using Twitter for any sort of outreach appears to be getting taken to the cleaners if they want to stick around, to the point that even the ones that want to have their ads and tweets show up alongside the 1488 Coffee Co's Victims of Communism blend aren't going to be able to.

It's not some unique or special thing to have a conservative or more specifically Libertarian take over an existing thing that is mostly sort of working and then destroy it because they can maintain organizations as well as they can build them. Twitter has already gotten significantly worse, slower, and less reliable since the great firing as predicted, and it's only going to get worse. This will follow the same arc as Sears and various city councils only all the numbers have an extra 4-5 zeroes on them.

The center-right cohort of liberals who you are theorycrafting will keep it going because of nth dimensional chess will be gone once the third party tools that they use to make the site workable for them are gone

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Mercury_Storm posted:

Whoa, can we get a grandmaster economist in here to tell us if that's good or not?

It's after 6pm so I think they're all too hammered by now to reply, but I asked the ghost of Ayn Rand and got two big thumbs up so things are really looking up for ol Musky

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Basically this, yeah. The loser of the Twitter buyout are the liberals. Their opposition was entirely performative.

:wrong: they're still chugging away like normal on it while also being Formally Opposed which is exactly what they want and Musk is out enough money to buy 30 mansions for every homeless person except it all went to people almost but not exactly like Musk. We're all the losers because we live in a country/time when this sort of thing is permitted and encouraged to happen. Social media!

Twitter's gonna keep chugging along, shrinking and with great instability, until Musk is coup'd and responds by redirecting it to an Error 42069 site with a screaming Quizno's Spongmonkey

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Still want to know what the asking price was for the big corporate accounts

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

lobster shirt posted:

https://help.twitter.com/en/using-twitter/verified-organizations

A Twitter Verified Organizations subscription is $1,000/month (plus any applicable tax) and $50/month (plus any applicable tax) for each additional affiliate in the U.S. Prices may vary by region and are subject to change. Click here for pricing information.

e: here is the pricing in different currencies https://help.twitter.com/en/using-twitter/verified-organizations#verifiedorgs-pricing

Could only get pages to load half the time but I didn't see any tiers or anything from what did, so this is going to be quite the apocalypse of basically any org of any type that isn't some billionaire's pet project or already huge. Mind you, with the side effect that now nobody will know if not having the checkmark actually means anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

That's probably almost every single account that COULD pay $1000 a month, to say nothing of wanting to lmao

Good way to increase bot activity on your platform while making them richer though I guess. Plenty of right wing grifters and pet projects of billionaires are definitely going to be shelling out to get their poo poo at the top of everybody's feed so mission accomplished as stupidly as possible.