Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

And when we have a Republican President, “a split government cannot get things done. So I encourage you to vote Republican.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

https://twitter.com/verge/status/1589798095877214211

We are officially at the starting line of Elon Musk's Lowtax Speedrun Any%

He's been compared to Iron Man and is now going after a DC Universe comparison.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Teratrain posted:

I'm not financially literate enough to verify this outside of articles and Twitter speculation, but it looks like it may have taken some other insulin producers with it thanks to the energized discussion around insulin pricing!

Imagine being the majestic bastard who spent $8 on a joke tweet that hit so hard it did splash damage to the whole hosed up market.

That magnificent bastard is going to be turbofucked by corporate lawyers the rest of their life.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

What is the original meme?

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Ohtori Akio posted:

Will Twitter outlast this iceberg lettuce? y/n

Should we have a Toxx thread gambling on the date Twitter crashes for good?

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Beefeater1980 posted:

I was going to say it wasn’t a pure LBO as I recall there being Tesla stock involved but it looks as though the $13bn in loans really do have recourse only against Twitter and its assets, regarding which, someone’s not getting their bonus this year at, hmm

Tesla, SpaceX, NeuraLink, Solar City, and The Boring Company better not need any loans in the near future...

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Owling Howl posted:

His obsession with code is bizarre. Twitter works fine. There's nothing technically wrong with it. It doesn't sell enough ads to be profitable.

That’s it, though. There’s nothing technically wrong with it, so why does he need any engineers since construction is complete.

The Golden Gate Bridge was completed 85 years ago, and hasn’t needed a single structural engineer, materials scientist, or maintenance technician since.

Oh, wait that’s not true. Elon’s just a dumbfuck.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Jesus III posted:

This dude would be getting murdered during a mental health check by the police if it weren't for 9 zeros...

He's going to end his days wandering an empty mansion in the dark, wearing soiled underwear and robe. Muttering to himself and spurting angry gibberish at the walls, followed by random gunshots at the shadows. Basically, pulling a Lowtax.

Also, Musk is the type of guy to include cans of Coke in the picture because he wants to hint that he's doing lines.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Alkydere posted:

I mean if that's what coke cans would signify (besides just...general sloth) then Musk setting those diet, caffeine free cans out would signify he's doing lines of what? Flour?

He named his Tesla cars the models S, 3 & X.
He stopped maturing in middle school.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Nonsense posted:

Musk and Republicans control the narrative up until election day. They're going to lose very badly in 2024.

Inshallah

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Young Freud posted:

Remember when Musk was complaining about the Apple store having a "tax" and trying to weasel out of it by making insinuations about it's censor ship because it was ruining his big idea to save the company?

Well, Musk is passing on the Apple "tax" onto Apple Twitter users by bringing back Twitter Blue but iOS users have to pay $11/mo instead of $8/mo.
https://twitter.com/Twitter/status/1601692766257709056?s=20&t=sYi7YnpDWE2TNXtLOXJrdA
Also, 3 out of 4 features for Twitter Blue in that ad are "coming soon" and haven't been implemented as of yet.

Apple takes a 30% cut of purchases through their store (Google has a similar policy).

Previously that meant $8 * 30% = $2.40 to Apple
Now $11 * 30% = $3.30 to Apple

This actually helps Apple even more than before.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

From USCE, apparently any link to Mastodon is now forbidden on Twitter.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Yes. One of the accounts they banned was a reporter pointing this out, lol.

Looks like Musk is blocking Mastadon links on Twitter now too. Existing links are now given a warning and you are blocked from posting new ones.

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1603580065341644802
https://twitter.com/charles_gaba/status/1603579605654376448

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

haveblue posted:

Kind of. It’s a network of multiple servers which replicate content to each other. Like, imagine if Twitter US and Twitter EU were completely different sites, but you could still see all the tweets on each one

There can be private mastodons that don’t connect to any others and also public ones that connect to as many others as possible. There is no one “mastodon”, although one network might emerge as the preferred network for most users in the future

The experience of making and reading toots is almost identical to twitter, you just have to pay a little more attention to account profiles to figure out who’s associated with who

This sounds like Usenet as an app.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

This comes after pressing Elon for technical details of his plans on a chat and getting called a "Jackass" when Elon couldn't follow along.

https://old.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/comments/zrra0z/elon_musk_calls_an_engineer_a_jackass_and_a_moron/

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Trillhouse posted:

wtf. he took off for Austin and then... changed his mind?]

https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=a835af

Looks like Musk interrupted his flight home on Xmas Eve to instead pull the plug on the Sacramento data center himself.
I don't know why his family hates him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Papercut posted:

For real y'all if you use FB on a PC just click your ublock origin icon, click the gear icon, paste this in there, enjoy your immensely better experience

code:
facebook.com###m_news_feed_stream article:has-text(/^(Suggested|Recommended|Post You May Like)/)
www.facebook.com##[aria-posinset] div:not(:only-child)>div:only-child>div:only-child>div:first-child[class=""]>div:not([data-0]):has-text(/^(Suggested|Reels)/):upward([aria-posinset])
I didn't write this script don't ask me how it works

Looks like it parses the header for each post on your the phrases "Suggested", "Recommended", "Post You May Like", and "Reels". Then removes those from your feed.
The second one removing Reels doesn't seem to be working on my pc, but otherwise the experience is so much better. Too bad it is desktop only.