Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
plz post your tideiest images and rats ITT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
okay I admit it, I'm the one who keeps stopping the party to spin grinding wheels for minutes on end

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
Another day, another lighthearted frolic through a Darktide character's backstory:

https://www.playdarktide.com/news/short-story-the-psyker/

only good things happen to unsanctioned psykers

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
Your mileage my vary, but I found one of the Straken novels very entertaining as most of it was some variation of "Straken saw one of his comrades explode into a fountain of gore. Enraged, he removed an ork's entire skeleton with his Devil's Claw. Straken saw one of his men catch fire and turn inside-out..." repeated for 3 chapters straight.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
I don't think we've seen anything regarding the Inquisitor heading the operation.

I'll bet you five bucks when we do hear from him he'll be voiced by Timothy Bentinick (Saltzpyre's voice actor). Also as per tradition, it will be a total coin-flip as to whether-or-not he's actually a servant of Chaos doing some chessmaster plays.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
Implement a score screen that tracks useless, unhelpful stats: How many times each player opened a door; Total number of melee swings; Most time spent in the air.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
The "Inquisitorial operation" setting pretty much sets the stage for a huge variety of wacky poo poo to show up; as others have mentioned, there's plenty of room for non-convict characters to be bumping shoulders with the rejects in a mission. There's a non-zero chance we could see absolutely bizarre inclusions like the space-ape Jokaero.

My money's on classic Hrud, who were originally space-skaven before they got retconned into wacky inflatable tube men:

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

Sharkopath posted:

Even here, whenever marines as a boss get brought up people talk about how impossible to kill they are for humans, tis a lie.

Depending on who's in the writing booth for the day, the champions of Nurgle can either be the doom of entire planets, or huge chumps who fall for 3-stooges-esque shenanigans:

Pandorax, by Christian Dunn posted:

A shadow in the mist formed only a few metres in front of him and, remembering what he’d been told by returning Catachan veterans who had faced this enemy before, he threw his knife aiming for the armour’s weak spot. End over end, the Catachan fang flew until its tip made contact with the seal between helmet and body armour, sliding through the corroded material with relative ease. The figure made no sound as it fell to its knees, its voice now robbed of precious air, and as it flailed to remove the blade, a human shape detached itself from the mist and thrust another, identical blade into the Traitor Marine’s throat. Gripping the hilts of both knives, Mack pulled them in opposite directions, opening the enemy’s gullet and releasing a torrent of blood, pus and other vile substances. Forcing back the urge to gag, he tossed Brigstone’s fang back to him and became one with the jungle again.

Yet more of Pandorax posted:

‘Pthirus?’ From behind the grille of his helmet, the Plague Marine’s words were garbled, and to Brigstone’s ears it sounded as if he was saying ‘virus’. The armoured traitor plodded on through the mire, his bulk causing him to sink further with every step forwards.

‘Pthirus?’ he said again, bolter swinging from side to side as he searched for his comrade. Covered by both mist and the trunks of trees, the Catachans drifted past him silently, towards their awaiting mounts and away from what was about to happen.

‘Pthirus?’ The Plague Marine’s tone was now one of surprise, having found his former squad mate face down in the muddy jungle floor. Somewhere in the distance, a bird called. He knelt down and with a bloated, gauntleted hand rolled the corpse over.

It was only when he heard the multiple clicks of pins being pulled from grenades he realised what a terrible mistake he had made.

A huge explosion from the jungle behind interrupted the cult leader followed shortly after by the ruined form of a Plague Marine hurtling into the centre of the clearing from out of the trees. Two of Corpulax’s bodyguard moved out of its path but another was not quick enough and caught the corpse of his dead comrade squarely in the chest, knocking him backwards and pinning him down.

At that same instant, from the same direction the Plague Marine’s body had blasted out of the jungle, five saurians emerged, riders on the backs of all but one. Whooping and hollering, the Catachans atop them discharged their weapons, the element of surprise accounting quickly for two more of the Plague Marines.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
the final mission should involve sneaking space-lax in Abbadon's breakfast so when he addresses Atoma from his capital ship his speech is drowned out by massive wet farts reverberating from his terminator armor and he gets so embarrassed he forgets the rest of his speech and dies

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
everything is justified as fate-weaving Chaos entities witnessing something cool and going "that space-rambo had the audacity to hurl his giant space-knife at the ancient walking tank made out of living space-gonorrhea; I wanna see this play out" and acting accordingly

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

Me and the boys waiting on the beta preload

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

ZearothK posted:

Jesper Kyd is a goddamned genius. Man's been doing absolute bangers since the Adventures of Batman & Robin game from 1995.

Always a treat to see folks who only know his works in Hitman & Vermintide get floored by how easily he can bang out superb electronic tracks.

I swear the mission boss theme is a spiritual remake of a Batman & Robin piece

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

Ichabod Tane posted:

Does the Veteran have any other voices other than some British guy? Psyker having a German accent is alluring

Hopefully a Catachan DLC will bring with it some authentic Austrian/Aussie accents.

Has anyone played around with the fighting knife? It seems the punch alternate attack allows you to follow up with a quick, high damage stab if you manage to stumble the target. It also seems to do substantial backstab damage to bosses and specials.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
Ogryn DLC weapon that's just a pair of cool fingerless gloves that give you the confidence to pick up scenery/barrels/man-sized opponents and hurl them like you're Donkey Kong

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

TwatHammer posted:

This game is fun as poo poo, poxbursters launching you into orbit is the new best thing. Don't remember them launching you so far in the weekend beta.

https://clips.twitch.tv/CreativeMagnificentRutabagaBabyRage-9ma_reybAZMzLpRm

Mutants can be terrifying around ledges, as it seems there's a few ways for their grapple animation to play out that end with you tossed in different directions.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

Sharkopath posted:

Hope they dont nerf accatran, hope they buff plasma, but i dont know what you do.

For the Accatran, I'd probably tone down its accuracy and effectiveness against armor to bring it in line with its peers, alongside giving the non-braced autoguns some hip-fire buffs and maybe better freakin' sights to compete with the lasguns.

Having now played extensively with the plasmagun, I would keep the primary fire as-is (maybe amp the splash damage so landing those hip-fire shots isn't so crucial), but change the supercharge into something a little more anti-horde, like Space Marine's chargeable AOE glob, or a rapid-fire mode.

Better yet, make those into weapon variants, and tune the current gun's secondary into a proper rail-shot that pierces enemies and cover.

edit: also you should be allowed to keep firing past 100% heat at the cost of potentially having your weapon explode violently

ChickenHeart fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Nov 21, 2022

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
are all the chat replies just "darktide"

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
watching a fleeing grenadier get walloped by a crate of grenades traveling at supersonic speeds, sending him somersaulting over a guardrail, remains my favorite moment in this game.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
Huh, the hive enforcers sure love their clandestine interrogation rooms

I wonder what they do with all the captives they take at the checkpoi-is that a loving giant industrial shredder underneath the goddamn prison cells

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
I could stand with the Trapper getting a little more distinct, as long as her fantastic lines aren't garbled up; I love how enthusiastic she is about her job of throwing a tiny net on random folks.

I would also be totally down for completely-silent variants too, just to keep players on their toes

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
I wonder if internet-esque data networks exist for the common man in 40k, and if they do, what does shitposting in the dark millennium look like

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

TipsyMcStagger posted:

It's just death world heckling.. they'll post a picture of a farm world and show weak humans compared to cadians then the farm world will post a picture of their world and ask them to post theirs

Two astropaths died in the process of sending Gulliman the psychic projection of a .gif of a scene from Family Guy

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

TipsyMcStagger posted:

How does parry work on the catachan sword to be useful?

I hit the special attack and he strikes back instantly but it doesn't seem to be useful as it seems to be designed for solo fighting as it has windows of being hit

I use it as an alternative block when I know an enemy is about to swing at me; similar to the knife, the counter hit is an instant heavy swing so you can dice multiple jerks with it. You can cancel the parry animation with a swing, so it's pretty forgiving to use.

And if you're feeling Marbo-y you can also clown on berserkers without needing to hit m1. Just don't try it on big attacks from ogryn or bosses (not sure if it works on assassination targets).

edit: I'm using an orange 450-power version so my experience may be different, but I'm positive the counter has an arc to it.

ChickenHeart fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Nov 24, 2022

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
imo pistols should come in pairs for maximum akimbo action, then the alt-fire to swap to a single sidearm for precision shots

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
https://twitter.com/TafferKing451/status/1598127058541871104

In the grim darkness of the far future there is only prolapse

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
With any luck we should see some interesting 2hander options for all the classes, depending on how deep Fatshark wants to dive into the background and how much rules-bending GW allows.

Zealots have all kinds of wacky heretic-smashing tools to pull from, like combination polearm-flamethrowers that Cawdor mooks wield on Necromunda to electric-powered medieval flails attached to arm-stumps that arco-flagellants use.

Guardsmen have fewer options, but units do make use of heavy breaching/trench-clearing tools like axes and clubs in Killteam and various books. I could also see a Rough Rider lance making it in, or even half-realized, canon-questionable stuff like Catachan dueling glaives or whatever those space-katanas were from that one Abnett novel.

You can take pretty much anything and turn it into a "force _____," but I'd love to see the psyker get downright heretical with xenos poo poo like wraithbone spears and shaper staves.

Ogryns have it the hardest, as they don't have that much background to draw on. Beyond improvised hunks of concrete, a good starting point would probably be to take inspiration from the ogryn slave faction in Necromunda and make up some gnarly-rear end mining and construction hardware. I wanna cave a monster's face in with a weaponized jackhammer, dammit!

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
I was awarded a 480-power laspistol with a "you can shoot while sprinting" and supression-clearing blessing for my Veteran and it has psychologicaly turned me into a wannabe zealot that rushes into melee firing wildly at every opportunity

it owns

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
What'll make-or-break the monetization for me is how they'll price actual new content.

New classes will probably be priced, especially if they play significantly different from the current roster, but if maps and encounters are locked behind cash I'll be cheesed

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
Best part of 40k is that you can justify pretty much anything happening as "warp fuckery," "emergency Inquisitorial powers," or "galaxy-spanning bureaucratic fuckup."

Imperials working with cannibal bird-lizards? "Yeah man, this planet is gonna explode in about an hour and I don't see any other capable trackers around do you?"

Space-general somehow being in multiple warzones spanning across the galaxy centuries apart? "Oh there was a nasty space-storm along the way and we got there before we left our previous destination."

Psi Cannons and Digital Weapons being handed off to literal convicts? "We found a huge pile of them in an ancient crate labelled 'hamdingers' buried in the sand."

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

Nitrousoxide posted:

I really like the bolter, but man, the animation to switch to it is s l o w.

Lug this apparently 20kg hunk of metal up, laboriously rack the slide and then finally bring it up to ready.

After playing a bunch with the bolter, I think you could make it a lot better feeling by significantly-shortening the switching animation, but in return giving the gun an accuracy/handling malus for a few seconds as your character adjusts to the weight. That way, snap shots are still possible, but you're not gonna be sniping scabs from afar reliably on the fly.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I love playing Ogryn. I can't respond to snipers or groups of shooters far away behind cover like a vet or psyker can, but everything else? It's handled, baby. Anything that gets near us is shoved, slapped, pushed and otherwise relentlessly bullied until we get around to killing it, and the big machine gun turns everything in the open to chum, while suppressing everything else taking cover. The playstyle is just too comfy.

Weirdly enough, I've been having great luck with the Kickback as a counter-sniping tool; as long as you sight in first you stand a very good chance of knocking them on their rear end even at extreme ranges, allowing you to maneuver into cover or close in.

I still feel the stubber needs more mobility when braced to be worthwhile - the long ready animation and reload speed are plenty enough for drawbacks.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
With Ragers the 100% safe method is to block and dodge until you get enough distance to swap to a ranged weapon and gun them down - when they're barreling into you as part of a swarm you often don't get a clean window to swung back

But the 100% cool method is to use a parry-capable weapon and counter them to death

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

Improbable Lobster posted:

The 40k novel Cult of the Spiral Dawn (which is about a genestealer cult) has a bit I love where a purestrain genestealer is trying to assassinate the commander of the local imperial guard but gets grabbed and unceremoniously smashed by the commanders ogryn bodyguarda.

It's a good bit:

Spiral Dawn posted:

The armoured roof of its prey finally gave way and the Riven Hunter’s claw punched through to the cabin beneath. Gripping the torn metal, it ripped away a chunk of plating to create a fissure. Eager for slaughter, the beast squeezed its torso into the gap like a lizard. As it pressed forward slab-like hands seized it and heaved it inside. Surprised, the Purestrain struggled in their grip and whipped over onto its back.

‘Purge the unclean!’ someone shouted.

The Hunter saw the glint of silver eyes from somewhere up front. Then the hulking brutes crammed into the cabin were upon it, cudgelling its carapace with crackling mauls that sent waves of pain through its body. There were four of them, all clad in white armour and open-faced helmets. Though their blunt features were contorted with rage they attacked in absolute silence.

Trapped between the savages, the Riven Hunter lashed out and writhed about to avoid their blows, but in its battle-wise heart it knew there could be no escape. After one-hundred-and-thirty years on Redemption and untold more adrift in the void between the stars, the ancient beast’s journey finally ended.

In short, genestealers are essentially roided-up xenomorphs: really fast, really deadly, and really fragile. They can rip a hole in a tank and blender it's occupants in short order, but scores of them will die to small arms fire if caught in the open. They'd fit right in Darktide.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

Cognac McCarthy posted:

It would be fun if they switched the approach for elites up a bit and made it so purestrains always spawned in packs of 3 or 4.

Bigger, nastier versions of hounds that spawn in packs would fit the genestealer MO pretty well, actually

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
give me nurglings or give me death

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
Regarding Hotshot guns, I'd figure a backpack Hellgun would work best as the 'special ability' for a hypothetical Scion/Kasrkin/Stormtrooper class, in a similar vein to Vermintide's Dwarf Engineer.

Give it fantastic stats all around alongside a heat/charging mechanic to manage during a mission, then give the player some talent options to further kit out the gun.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

The Demilich posted:

I cannot dodge hounds anymore and even hitting them doesn't stop their leap or stun then at all. Not sure what's going on.

Also I had a few laughs setting up the emote wheel because there's 5 tabs you can fill and only 5 emotes. Why make me set that up? I ended up only loading 3 and then.

Make V open the emote wheel in mission.

They're definitely harder to stagger mid-leap; shotguns went from knocking them out of the air all the time to mmmaybe 50/50 chance at stopping a lunge. What's really getting me is that now they tend to slow down and delay their leap randomly, making dodges harder to pull off.

I like it

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

Richard Bong posted:

What level should you be jumping to 3 from 4?

In my head it seems like mid 20s makes sense in a game progression kind of way but I’m not super familiar with any of the tide endgames.

25 felt like the sweet spot for me; you've got nearly all your feats, your weapon stats should be around the 350-400 range, and pubbies were less inclined to complain or drop out at seeing a number less than 30.

With a group of friends, you can go as early as 10-15 as long as you don't mind that your weapons feel like your swinging a cardboard tube.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

Arghy posted:

Ugh the shotgun is so nice on the vet, i want a judge dredd class damnit.

After putting in an entire week of "catachan cosplay" vet with a shotgun, I have to say it performs much better than you'd expect, but it still is missing something to compete with braced autoguns, which win out in close-midrange performance.

It's one of those few weapons where I'd argue that Stopping Power be your most important stat over Damage - around 80 you can reliably knock down anything Ogryn-sized with 1 or 2 hits. I've had multiple Heresy missions where I single-handedly neutered a wave of shotgunners and maulers by keeping them on their asses until my teammates could finish them off. While the damage pales in comparison to autoguns and lacks any penetration, I'd argue it's right around where it needs to be.

What it needs is some tuning to encourage it's use as a high-mobility, close-up crowd control tool. Allow the player to fire or reload while sprinting; give the alt-fire some penetration for crowds and give it a ton of impact if you nail a single target with the spread; maybe alt-fire should FIRE the special shot with reloading needed afterwards; those sorts of things.

Oh and bump up the ammo pool a touch; 65-75 rounds goes super-fast for vet, let alone the 40-50-ish you get as the other classes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
I hope the ogryns start casually-discussing the fallen primarchs during elevators soon