Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Can't wait to bash puny spikey armored baddies with my best mates: shouty boy and weird lad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I will attempt to make my Ogryn as slayer-like as possible in his honor

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Did anyone here play the updated version of Deathwing a few years ago? Was it any good?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I'm not sure if Ogryn lore has been developed enough for that at all tbh

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I wouldn't be surprised if it was something along the lines of 'no one who isn't an ogryn can really tell, and who's going to ask?' Plus no one generally gives a poo poo at this point in 40k lore development, the only serious sexism that seems to exist in the setting is imperial marines not being female and getting made fun of by Fabius Bile about it

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I haven't bought an Imperial Guard codex in forever so I'm definitely behind on that front.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Magitek posted:

I'm guessing that making an all-male class on release means that they'll produce an all-female DLC class later

I wonder what class that could possibly be

It'd be easy enough to put a Sister of any given order into the game, they don't all use power armor and there are others than just the sisters of battle. Although that wouldn't fit the convict theme, so I'm not gonna hold my breath.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

there are penintent sisters but they are just the zealot with an eviscerator (zweihander chainsword). and they could just give the zealot that.

Suuuuure, but that's not exactly a convict either, and there's already a female zealot option. They also aren't gonna put an all female job in the game that mostly runs around wearing scripture for clothes :v: I'd love to see an eviscerator show up the game though, holy poo poo.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

ya I am saying that they wouldn't and the only cool thing about them is something the zealot can and should do

the eviscerator is a wayne reynolds classic and a concept they ended up using for both necromunda and the 40k preachers, it's even more perfect for the zealot than the thunder hammer

Oh my bad I misread, yeah that would be loving dope.

Really any demi human makes sense, Ratlings or Squats. But I'm assuming they'll be adding subclasses for a while before they'd ever add another full character to the roster. Give me a loving Catachan guardsman though god drat

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I'm hoping it's the Ogryn that does tbh

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I was on a 3070 and it was definitely dipping below 60fps even with some options off

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I probably can't tell the difference between 45ish fps and 60fps if it's consistent but any time there's a big shift down it's very easy to see

S.J.
May 19, 2008

If you're planning on rolling with pubbies, please consider not rolling vet first. 90 percent of people who I matched with were playing vet last beta and almost every run where it was me plus 3 vets went poorly, even if we finished.

That being said play what you enjoy

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Pennsylvanian posted:

The deal with Elf was that people thought they could just be ranged only. So Elf players would pull out the bow, get their asses chewed off by Skavenslaves, then rage quit.

In that regard, I can see the Veteran being the new Elf.

It was literally this yes. An army of John Halos running around getting ganked by Maulers

S.J.
May 19, 2008

fadam posted:

Does progress from the 17th beta carry over?

They said they want to but they don't know if they'll be able to yet.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

field balm posted:

Does the vet get really bad melee weapons or something?

No, but their talents favor them keeping distance from the enemy in order to get their buffs. Melee is definitely worse for them than range but they're more than capable of chainswording people to death

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Siivola posted:

Class power will also depend hugely on the maps. I would much rather play a Zealot in the coolant system mission than a Vet, because the sight lines were complete rear end and there was a monster closet around every corner.

I never managed to finish Coolant a single time and I am fairly confident this has something to do with it :v:

Of course it was a beta and people weren't keeping coherency and were just randomly running off to do things by themselves.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Siivola posted:

I kept getting lost in the last room. :negative:

When like, a poxwalker horde, a squad of chaos guard, 4-6 mauler and a periodic suicide dude all start piling on at the same time it's pretty loving miserable in that room. I couldn't get anyone to stay on the upper levels with me to keep from getting surrounded on 4 sides.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

raverrn posted:

Instead of a miniboss monster one of the spawn options should be seven Plague Marines.

So we just immediately die that sounds great :v:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

There's plenty of space for champions of chaos and daemons between us and an actual chaos marine (thankfully)

S.J.
May 19, 2008

raverrn posted:

Look at this no-faith nerd. The Emperor protects!

I play Orks! If they made a sequel where I got to play various kinds of boys that would be a different story.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Okay? Nobody here is arguing against that? FatShark made the decision and I think it'd be a good thing to stick to so they can come up with more new and unique stuff like what we've already seen out of a bunch of the special enemies. There's nothing intrinsically special or unique about plague marines, they're just tougher and killier and there's already plenty of tough, killy enemies in the game, and there are already plenty of games where you can fight against chaos marines.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

uncalled for! posted:

it looks like you're arguing that regular rejects couldn't kill a space marine when you say they'd immediately die

I'm looking forward to repeatedly manhandling space marines with well-placed overhead strikes. bashing their silly armor to bits with a trench shovel. shooting a red barrel to turn a patrol of plague marines into a big ol mess

I'm not sure why you couldn't spot the obviously joke response, did you think I was beginning a series of arguments? The joke was just a throwaway comment about how fast marines of any stripe could kill a bunch of regular people. Hell, check out the Astartes video on youtube for a good example. But it's 40k, marines of all types are simultaneously the doom of all planets and capable of being easily chumped depending on the piece of fiction they're appearing in and whether or not the main characters happen to be lugging around a special weapon, or get lucky, or a million other contrivances that pop up in the fiction. FatShark was the one who said that marines wouldn't be in the game, I don't particularly care, but apparently they felt it wasn't appropriate for whatever story they want the rejects to be a part of - at least so far.

e: and if I were in their shoes I would probably agree if for no other reason than it meant I would have to avoid a bunch of nerds insisting on being able to use space marine equipment for their characters even more than they already will be

ee: IMO if chaos marines were gonna show up in a fatshark game I'd prefer it was in DarkTide 2: Deathwatch :v:

S.J. fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Nov 17, 2022

S.J.
May 19, 2008

uncalled for! posted:

wanting cool guns in a video game: nerd
posting about how the special space equipment is only for special boys: not a nerd, don't even particularly care

if you want a picture of darktide, picture the space marine end boss getting stunlocked by 4 guardsmen into a pile of goop, forever

What are you even talking about lmao just keeping making up stuff I guess. Sorry the devs said marines won't be in the game

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

i liked Vermintide somewhat but the aesthetic was a whiff for me. Darktide looks much more my kinda jam though

I didn't play in the playtest but I heard it was really buggy even by FatShark standards?

(edit) oh forgot the most important question: are da boyz present in any form or do i have to weep at the distinct lack of WAAAGH

Sadly there is no Waaaagh! :(

S.J.
May 19, 2008

CuddleCryptid posted:

I'm not sure what people are taking, I'd be interested to hear what the most popular are. I'm planning on starting off as a Veteran because the idea of an Imperial Guardsman FPS has been my dream since Fire Warrior but if that's utterly saturated I might have to go Ogryn.

Veteran was literally 2/3rds of the players in the first beta.

I'm playing an Ogryn this time around and holy gently caress the Ripper Gun is one of the most fun things I've ever used in an FPS.

Overall performance and looks are a way smoother and better for me this time around on a 3070, very happy so far. Some connection issues, but that's to be expected.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

CODChimera posted:

yo where are the loot crates?

Yeah I assume they're not in yet

S.J.
May 19, 2008

KPC_Mammon posted:

I'm really not feeling the psyker, it feels so much worse than the previous beta. What are some good ways to deal with armor with the other classes so you can avoid having one on your team?

Hope you have a good armor piercing weapon equipped and/or some specific traits. Vet F ability is the only other class mechanic that really helps deal with elites, although not specifically armor. Psyker is really the only specially anti-armor base class mechanic. Psyker might feel worse, I haven't played it, but it still murders poo poo.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Perestroika posted:

Dang, that assassination mission in the train station is really quite tricky, haven't won that one yet. The plasma pistol of the boss hits like a truck, and there are just enough specials coming in to really ruin your day. A hound or trapper at the wrong time and the whole thing's hosed.

Barely got through that, hadn't fought against him with the plasma pistol before but holy poo poo that was nasty. Need to learn to dodge that for sure. We were down to one person at the end.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

For your sanity, please do not queue for difficulty 2 missions until you are, bare minimum, level 5. I'm serious. Even if you are capable of handling it yourself, you'll get queued with other under geared people who are not. Just do 5-6 rank one missions first.

Also, what is 'hit mass' and why would I care about ignoring it? A lot of the stat references in this game are completely unexplained.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Wait, how do you even perform the explosion punch with the grenade gauntlet? Every combination of buttons I tried didn't do it

S.J.
May 19, 2008

explosivo posted:

It's the special attack button, MB5 by default I think

I swear I tried that and it didn't work, oh well

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

is MB5 the 'back' thumb button for anyone else, btw? I'm real used to that being MB4 in other games, and MB5 being the forward button

Yeah I had to change mine for sure.

Also difficult 2 missions really suck when half your team won't stick together or communicate!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Bussamove posted:

Melk’s challenges suddenly aren’t progressing for me, anyone else having this problem?

I think a lot of people are having problems with this

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Whats the benefit of the alt fire on the shield since you can't move? I haven't had a chance to really test it.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Heavy Stubber is life.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

apostateCourier posted:

Get the gently caress out of the way, 99% of the time there is room for you to do so.

No, coward

S.J.
May 19, 2008

KPC_Mammon posted:

The complaints I read from people about Ogryn makes me think most vets have never switched to melee and don't know how to dodge melee attacks to avoid getting murdered. You can't just stand still off to the side while in melee.

Veterans make me face palm a lot in general because they'll roll around wasting ammo in random groups of one to 5 mooks they could easily smoke in melee by themselves and then complain about ammo. I have met maybe a handful of legitimately good vet players so far and it's easy to tell because they don't waste ammo or complain about LoS while I'm soloing an entire horde and just jump in with their shovel.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

haldolium posted:

nah it's completely fine to do that if you have that much ammo and can properly headshot.

also keep in mind there are a lot of weekly challenges that require huge amount of ranged kills of certain enemies.

I'm aware, those are extremely easy to get. I literally did two different ones in a few hours last night. I don't care that they're shooting, that was not the complaint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Sharkopath posted:

Re veterans wasting ammo, genuinely I only ever pull it out for elites, specials, and shooters, i feel like gunner needs ammo pickups the least out of the classes if you do that, and youre good enough in melee normal hordes dont need gunfire to deal with.

Agreed