Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
this post claimed by Big Rat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

does 40k not have any rats? wtf even is the point

ive been saying this

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
generally prefer vermintide 2 over this but it took a while for vt2 to get where its at. part of it maybe is just that i radically prefer the setting of fantasy over 40k; idk how you can make a megacity dystopia so fuckin boring to go thru. doom 3 had more varied scenery than this.

i thought part of the point of going with a hiver city and the mission system would be to have more map variety since itd be a lot easier to just jam poo poo together randomly to have some kind of generated levels, but alas

it being more of a shooter game also makes me compare it more disfavorably to payday 2 which has generally more satisfying shooting and variety of firearms / builds. in the far future there are four kinds of gun. im also all for having more limited perks than pd2 did but if youre going to have few perks why make them all so boring (this was a problem with vt2 as well tho).

i do like that theyre having you do more than move barrels around as a mission objective tho

mutant and dog feel very jank and extremely annoying. lets take the charger from l4d2 but make it charge all the time + turn, and then sometimes hit you, sometimes dont hit you, sometimes throw you off a cliff and you die. reavers are the beserkers from vt2 and i hate them but theyre more coherent. net fellow feels way too tanky for being a hard to spot disabler that just runs up to you. genade man is extremely loving annoying but thats okay, it makes you have to do something different instead of backing into a corner and/or dodging infinitely around your problems

i kind of hate the psyker head pop, i hate having to charge it, while trying to either target some dork in a crowd or hold it in hopes the dog i heard gets around the corner faster than my peril rises. i hate that theres some incredibly tiny damage bonus attatched to stacking something, like, gently caress, get some goddamn balls fatshark make it a +25% damage a stack or some poo poo. for being a core class feature it feels extremely, like, super specific and specialized, and you have to swap to a whole different 'weapon' to use it. just never felt satisfying at all, even though its all in all kind of a bullshit power when you can actually aim it.

do also miss the rats, the nurgle guys continue to be pretty boring dudes. the traitor guardsmen do have some lines where they talk like soldiers instead of talking like crazed religious fanatics / zombies. its different, at least.

thats really the end of my thoughts but now the one thats haunting me is the fact that, yeah, it is a lot like payday 2 except the missions are built much more like l4d2 ones, and the shooting is worse. i think it feels worse than in l4d2 as well, actually. its not *bad*, its just, not clicking. shooting gun dudes feels worse than shooting cops helmets off in pd2, shooting/hitting hoards feels more sort of sluggish and one dimensional than in l4d2. everything is also really dark and looks the same. i think thats it. i didnt mean to give a review, i dont even hate it its fine. i just felt like tying A Thought and it kept going so, im going to stop now.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Nov 21, 2022

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
dogs and mutants have the same sort of animation annoyance i have with gutter runners from VT2 where they dont actually have any sense of momentum behind anything they do, they just turn on a dime or fly off randomly in three directions at once

also thinking more, most of the stuff i kind of dislike is stuff that could be adjusted, just a lot of *Game Feel* stuff. like i said VT2 felt really off for me at the start but after ages of tweaking it felt good. but the one thing im going to call bad is the weapon progression. randomized weapon stats + weapon treadmill just blows, its not interesting or fun or cool it sucks. also who the gently caress makes a ui with just loving bars without putting a number on them, gently caress you.

also let people bring two guns and one melee, or one gun and two melee, in a level.

e: also played as the not psykers. ogryn i want to try out a bit more but they seem unique enough, but zealot and sharpshooter dont seem like different classes, just like, different builds of the same class as psyker. different perk decks in payday 2 felt more mechanically distinct than the gameplay between 3 of the 4 classes. considering how youre not at all limited by having one elf per team like the vermintide games idk why they didnt just go all out and make the different characters play more radically different like different classes in tf2 or something. make the zealot run faster, make the sharpshooter the only guy who can aim down sights because theyre not an idiot, give the psyker a double jump, you cowards.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Nov 21, 2022

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i did reflect on a joke I've made that the 40k skaven are just the imperium. mainly that its entirely, 100% true, you could swap them in and itd make very little fundamental difference except for more green rocks / cheeses

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i do like the loner psyker voice for being able to just go Get This: This loving Sucks while gesturing at everything about the imperium

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Khizan posted:

The skaven are the best.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
its an extremely solved problem in game design but vt2 had leveling be basically a very tedious formality you went thru before you threw all your gear into a fire and got into the actual leveling mechanic, farming red gear. i dont know why they brought it over to darktide.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
my favorite gun so far is the braced autogun because you just hold it at head level and hold the button down and things die

never melee

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
are we the baddies

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
friendly fire but only on the ogryn

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
the bolter gun is so iconic in how loving ugly it is. the least creative and ergonomic design ever convinced. its the poo poo id give stick figures in grade school.

the fact the idiot pulls back the bolt every time you take the thing out is just a cherry on top, everything about the gun is perfectly stupid.

im gonna keep using it

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

big cummers ONLY posted:

I need to watch some streamers for a little bit to get better. Sometimes it's very clear that I go down because I made a mistake, but other times it just feels like my team is not providing support or targeting the right things. Like if I have a horde locked down as zealot and there's 20 guys out of my range shooting me, and my team isn't occupied, they should be suppressing the shooters, right? I feel like instead 99% of the time they are mag dumping into the horde while I get cut to ribbons because the ranged units have free reign to go ham. Maybe it's my fault for assuming the sharpshooter will even be paying attention to where ranged fire is coming from. Or maybe I'm doing something wrong with my positioning.

I'm assuming the other players are playing little kid soccer but don't they want to use their guns to shoot other gun mans?

do not worry about other players. adjust your own play. if you're running solo into a horde, and it kills you, do not do that.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
they all keep falling for the same assassination ploy

you'd think they'd just take a bus

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
chainaxe could be the best weapon and i would hesitate to use it because my brain just utterly rejects the idea of a chainaxe making any sort of sense in how the physics are meant to work at all

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

They're pretty much real though. It's just an electric pole saw with a guard hiding the blade and back half of the chain.

This man just wants to trim the tree in your yard before the branches hit power lines. Why are you running away?

chainsaw at end of long stick i can get, its the whole 'it has a heavy end you swing at something', cuz, it feels like you got the saw motion and the swing motion and theyre not exactly in alignment

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

thats just shaving

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
axe -> space barbarian
sword -> space barber

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
whoops wrong thread

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
use a gun

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Grognan posted:

lmao if everyone that maxxed their height slider just made it easier for them to hit. feels like loads of people just maxed that slider

i think its the opposite cuz on my tiny men i keep finding myself getting shot behind boxes that i cant shoot back over at all

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

Someone in a discord pointed this out in regards to crossplay, which is a way softer stance than earlier. I reckon I'm still gonna hold out hope and play on gamep rear end.

otoh this is fatshark who put out a trailer for vt2 versus years ago and, as of yet, have not canceled it but also have said nothing else about it, so, i wouldnt hold my breath about what they insist might come later maybe

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

Fair point, but otoh I really want it and I think I should get it.

same, i have been saying "i want to shoot the elf to death with a ratling gun" for years and this is a fair and just demand and yet fatshark dithers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
had an ogryn player get so mad at his two teammates unable to kill a daemonhost while they were being shot at by a swarm of enemies that he suicided after being revived, twice