Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

wizard2 posted:

Venusaur is #1

#3 actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Showing the 'real' galarian fossils, or even their other halves, would be the worst poo poo to happen in Pokemon.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I think it'd be ok/kinda funny if they added the "actual" forms' into the game via their megas (so still not actually ever seeing their true forms.)

So, add in
Arctonite
Draconite
Vishnite
Zoltnite

And let whichever pokemon has whichever half hold its corresponding mega stone to evolve into that mega. It'd be more mechanically interesting than the average mega, too.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'd like to get a physical pokedex as a gift for a kid who's loving Violet - is https://www.amazon.com/Super-Deluxe-Essential-Handbook-Pok%E9mon/dp/1338714120/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3NH2VX9Y9UXR6 the most current super pokedex out there? It looks like that's a year prior to Violet/Scarlet

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

That's the Super Extra Deluxe Essential Handbook. You're looking for the Super Duper Extra Deluxe Essential Handbook (which isn't out until August.)

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Quote is not Edit.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

boo, need to get them something they can use now, since they're likely to spend a good chunk of summer catching pokemans

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Phew, caught all the Ultra Sun legendaries. Went faster by stopping to bother shiny hunting some of them.

Now all that's left before transfering is getting all the
missing Dex entries/alternate forms that are not wild encounters (which are mainly Furfrou/Silvally formes, 100% Zygarde, Megas, some Kanto forms, Male Milotic and such); farm the league a bit to get money for all clothes (jesus did Hauoli eat my 4 million just in skirts) and decide which mon is left behind just in case.

EDIT: Apparently it was a genius idea because when you transfer a mon from Bank to HOME you get the Pokedex entries you have in Bank imported into HOME so you can get the dex entries for stuff like Shaymin Sky or the Furfrou trims much more easily.

GiantRockFromSpace fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 8, 2024

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

victrix posted:

I'd like to get a physical pokedex as a gift for a kid who's loving Violet - is https://www.amazon.com/Super-Deluxe-Essential-Handbook-Pokémon/dp/1338714120/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3NH2VX9Y9UXR6 the most current super pokedex out there? It looks like that's a year prior to Violet/Scarlet

There's a Pokedex book that does the mons in alphabetical order, which is real sicko poo poo. Buyer beware.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Here I forgot the shutdown was happening "soonish" and only reminded myself today by accident hours before it happened.
But it didnt count for pokebank transfers so I panicked for no reason.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

DeafNote posted:

Here I forgot the shutdown was happening "soonish" and only reminded myself today by accident hours before it happened.
But it didnt count for pokebank transfers so I panicked for no reason.

what are the biggest losses for 3DS online? I dont recall really using online on 3DS in a great while

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

wizard2 posted:

what are the biggest losses for 3DS online? I dont recall really using online on 3DS in a great while

In Pokemon? No more trading or combat (the GTS was surprisingly active and without the crashing hacks for the most part) and levelling Festival Plaza stuff in SMUSUM.

also guess who's an idiot who forgot about QR Codes being a thing and it solving my dex issues :v: (still want to fill it up before doing the transfer and it's limited. But after that I just need like, register Sky forme Shaymin just in case, grind the money to buy all clothes and I can finally transfer).

Edit: Fun discovery! Apparently the games keep track of all Pokemon dex data or something even if they aren't in the dex, Megas from mons outside of the Alolan dex got registered in Bank.

GiantRockFromSpace fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 8, 2024

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I finally got bored of looking for the place where the wind is always blowing and just looked up how to find Meloetta on Bulbapedia. How the hell do they expect people to figure this poo poo out

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Hammerite posted:

I finally got bored of looking for the place where the wind is always blowing and just looked up how to find Meloetta on Bulbapedia. How the hell do they expect people to figure this poo poo out

That one is supposed to be an official Mew Truck easter egg. 99.9% can't find it without a guide, but GF were clearly hoping that whoever did would be the recess monarch of pikablue rumors.

"Seriously, I found this weird wind and then I put on the camera and switched to the sepia filter and looked around and there she was ! A singing pokemon I've never seen or heard about!"

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I know some NPCs comment about the swirling wind, but the sepia tone filter is too much of a stretch unless you know about the original Meloetta event.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Guess I’m gonna do another play through of Sun or Ultra Moon to get that Cosmoem I need for my living dex. I brought the games out and my daughter wants to play it, so I guess it’ll be her game!

Let’s talk about reptiles…

First we have Squamata which contains 10 families (or 8 if you wanna put all the motorcycle lizards together).

Lickylicky, Sceptile, Kecleon, Inteleon, Scrafty, Heliolisk, Groudon, and Koraidon/Cyclizar/Miraidon.

Then we have Serpentes, which is actually nestled within Squamata. Did you know snakes are lizards? It has 6 families.

Arbok, Dudunsparce, Seviper, Rayquaza, Serperior, and Sandaconda.

Testudines contains 5 families.

Blastoise, Dreadnaw, Turtonater, Carracosta, and Torkoal.

Plesiosauria contains 1 family. Lapras.

Now the archosaurs.

Crocodilia contains 3 families.

Feraligatr, Krookodile, and Skeledirge.

Pterasauria contains 1 family. Aerodactyl.

Archosaurs will continue later with the dinosaurs and birds.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Is Lickilicky a lizard? Bulbapedia suggests it could be a salamander.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

ApplesandOranges posted:

Bulbapedia gets a lot of stuff wrong

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

I’m putting it down as a type of skink cause that’s what it reminds me of.

Ultimately, I think Lickitung is supposed to be based on a yokai.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I used to think of it as a chameleon before the likes of Kecleon and Sobble were introduced.

At this point though I usually group it with the likes of Snorlax, Kangaskhan and other Monster egg group Pokemon.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
lickitung is just a little guy

lickilicki is a man

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Roundboys: Snorlax. Lickitung/licky. Chansey/Blissey. Totoro.
Also I spent almost my entire workday today organizing my living dex on Home and I am a lot further away from a complete dex than I thought. At least I have a million copies of Zekrom and Cobalion etc, I can probably trade those for the mundane poo poo I need instead of trying to catch/breed it again.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Zuzie posted:

I used to think of it as a chameleon before the likes of Kecleon and Sobble were introduced.

He very well might still be. It’s not like GF hasn’t reused animals/concepts before. Likitung is just from when the series had a different design sensibility that was more “Monster with animal theme” than the modern “Animal with monster powers”.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BonHair posted:

Geodude is real and my friend.

I don't know where they're going with cross generational trade, but with DLC being an option, I could see the entire national Pokédex eventually being available within I've generation.

Literally Pokemon Home. It exists so Game Freak never have to care about inter-generational compatibility ever again, anything new just has to be compatible with Pokemon Home and it can amalgamate everything.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Geodude is cool and Alolan Golem is one of my favourite regional forms, along with Alolan Sandshrew and Paldean Tauros.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Dinosaur time!

First the Sauriscians.

Sauropoda contains 4 families.

Meganium, Tropius, Aurorus, and Dialga.

Therapoda contains 5 families.

Tyranitar/ Iron Thorns, Tyrantrum, Palkia, Arctizolt/Draocolt, and Baxcalibur.

Birds are also in this group, but they get their own section.

Now the Ornithscians.

Ankylosauria contains 3 families.

Aggron, Torterra, and Kommo-o. I debated where to place Aggron, but I’m placing him here for now considering he’s armoured and doesn’t get the head spikes until the final evo. He’s a weird one, but I think he fits the bill of an ornithscian dinosaur at the very least.

Pachycephalosauria contains 1 family. Rampardos.

Ceratopsia contains 1 family. Bastiodon.

We need more dinosaurs, just because I really like dinosaurs. Dromeosaurs, Parasaurolophus, Stegosaurus, more Ceratopsians… Can’t have too many dinosaurs. I always think about doing replays of games where I only use prehistoric Pokémon; fossils, as well as Pokémon just based on prehistoric creatures.

And back to reptiles, a Komodo dragon would be cool, as well as an amphisbaena, a worm lizard.

Nessa fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Apr 10, 2024

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Zuzie posted:

I know some NPCs comment about the swirling wind, but the sepia tone filter is too much of a stretch unless you know about the original Meloetta event.

Yeah I think players DID find the wind spot on their own, it’s just the camera part that took a while for people to figure out(and it was probably from datamining). I guess this is better than Regigigas in ORAS which afaik had no actual clues ingame.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Okay, NOW I'm done with Ultra Sun. Full Dex including all alternate forms, all sidequests, all Ultra Hole legendaries, all Title Defenses, all stamps save for PokeFinder which needs no mons to do, all clothes. Leaving a Dragonite since it's strong and they pop up across all gens so it's fine to leave it there.

Now I just need to get some alternate formes on the PokeBank dex via Alpha Sapphire, just for fun and to backport to HOME (like some gender differences, I won't be able to 100% it cause I'm missing Deerling formes, I restarted Y so no easy Pumpkaboos and hahahaha no to Unown and Vivilion) and I can do the transfer finally. My Sapphire Blaziken is getting saved for sure.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/Lewchube/status/1778727931302334532

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nice that Nemona and Penny will be getting some love but weirdly still no sign of Arven

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/Pokemon_cojp/status/1778734896954941810

Meanwhile the ending theme is a banger

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

A few months ago I got a used 3DS and a copy of Omega Ruby, partly as a nostalgic trip and partly because my little girl got into Pokemon at school. I last played a Pokemon game, maybe a decade or so ago when I got a DS lite to play the remake of Gold and Silver (which was immense). I figured the remake of the games where I left the series were a good place to start.

So, perhaps unluckily for me, I've realized that the online components of DS games are dead now?

Had a real real hard time deciding on which fossil to get and I was hoping to work out how to get the other. I got Lileep the anenome guy. I guess I'm out of options for whatever the other one was?

At least I have my cool Linoon from a random trade, scooping up boosted Exp everywhere.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
It is my understanding that a homebrew replacement is being worked on by people with skills and abilities.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

yeah eventually you’ll be able to gently caress around with your 3DS’s DNS settings or whatever and use an emulated server for trades, but in the interim as of April 8th your best bet is befriending a nerd irl (since as far as I know local trades will still function)

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Pretzel Rod Serling posted:

yeah eventually you’ll be able to gently caress around with your 3DS’s DNS settings or whatever and use an emulated server for trades, but in the interim as of April 8th your best bet is befriending a nerd irl (since as far as I know local trades will still function)

Contrary to the doomsayers, the 3DS Pokemon games are now about as functional as the Gameboy, GBA and the DS games once their online servers shut down.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Good stuff, thank you unsung heroes working to make sure trading still works for old Pokemon games.

I am enjoying Omega Ruby a lot though. Team Flame and Aqua are so ott compared to the OG Rocket guys it's ridiculous. I also like how some of the original 152 are still ever present (geodudes and tentacools everywhere).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

As for Horizons, Penny didn’t get any lines (not sure why she’s hanging out with the Elite Four though), still no sign of Arven yet, anime Larry looks like a robot, and the new OP is decent visually but the song’s kind of meh (they finally changed the ED though and the new one’s pretty good).

More Nemona content is good though (and she’s in pure battle mania here as is proper)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Apr 13, 2024

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Zuzie posted:

Contrary to the doomsayers, the 3DS Pokemon games are now about as functional as the Gameboy, GBA and the DS games once their online servers shut down.

Those servers are still up, though. That's what's so hosed up about this whole situation.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

The Sean posted:

Those servers are still up, though. That's what's so hosed up about this whole situation.

The DS WFC was shut down nearly a decade ago man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

First time playing Scarlet, is there many areas with higher level pokemon that are out of the main path.